[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 143 KB, 387x569, edwardian food drawing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7944423 No.7944423 [Reply] [Original]

Do classical French techniques translate to general culinary skill on a more global level? Or will it put all my abilities under a French lens and cause me to become dogmatic about favor profiles, techniques, and other types of cuisine?

I ask because I am reading a French cooking textbook and think of apprenticing with a local 70 year old French chef who was classical trained in France and has worked in all the best places.

>> No.7945032

>>7944423
Depends on your techniqes, but if you start this Hautgout shit in any not french place youll be kicked out. Im sure you will be able to learn other ways of cooking should you ever work somewhere else.

>> No.7945199

>>7944423
French food, kitchen organization and dining style is the foundation of fine dining. One could make the argument that on the high end French influence sets the standard. And if you look at places where the French have influenced the local cooking style it's a list of great cuisines: Louisiana, Morocco, Lebanon, Vietnam... Hell, even Quebec has amazing food on the high end.

If you want to work in a high end place you probably ought to master French technique.

>> No.7945214

>>7945199

This is dumb and I'll tell you why.

A restaurant is a business, running a business efficiently has nothing to do with french influence, having a well equipped and trained staff with an effective menu that can be executed on busy nights and a chef that can manage a few thousand dollars worth of food budget isn't some magical french invention, its just called common sense and not having your head up your ass.

>> No.7945217

>>7944423
>Do classical French techniques translate to general culinary skill on a more global level?
Absolutely. Technique is the same across cultures. The French just streamlined it.

>> No.7945223

french technique has already been globalised and it affects how nearly every restaurant is run in any country

you'll only become dogmatic if you want to

>> No.7945231

>>7945214
>who is Escoffier?
Comment dismissed.

>> No.7945236

>>7945214
The brigade model is an efficient way to run a kitchen, and that's French. Also many other styles of cooking bnefit from French technique, if only because diners have come to associate it with upscale cooking.

If you're just in it to make money open a franchise of Buffalo Wild Wings. If you want to try to turn your passion for good food into a successful business it requires more than that, and studying French technique is a good start.

>> No.7945411

>>7945214
>high end
>fine dining

>ALL DAT MATURS IS IF UR BIZNIS RUNS EFFICENT AND U GOT GOOD STAFF

Fucking flyovers, he must think you guys are talking about Applebee's.

>> No.7945426

>>7945214
I barely know what this thread is about and even I know what you're saying is irrelevant.

>> No.7945428
File: 184 KB, 202x121, 1470230392002.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7944423

>posts an illustration of Edwardian cooking
>asks about french food

>> No.7945439

>>7945214
>I am retarded look at me being retarded I win
French cuisine is literally a normalization of all the cooking business. doing French mean you are actually able to work in a team in a kitchen and aren't a slave a the local burger joint who has to push a button to make fries.

>> No.7945446

>>7945217
>Technique is the same across cultures.

Most of it, yeah. Pretty much anyone sautes, boils, steams, fries, etc. But there are a few cooking techniques that I can think of which aren't typical for a French chef:

-Bao-type stir frying (the super high heat method)

-Pit Smoking/BBQ in the tradition that originated in Africa and then came to the US South with the slave trade

Also, the standard cuts for butchering land animals are very different between different cultures. If you asked a French, British, and American butcher to each break down a side of beef you would have very different cuts for each person.

>> No.7946217

>>7945428
What do you think hi-end, turn of the Century Edwardian cooking was composed of?