[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 80 KB, 1200x800, basic-tomato-sauce-horiz-a-1200.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7868564 No.7868564 [Reply] [Original]

Why is it that food with tomato based sauce always tastes better after a couple of days?

Make tikka masala, eat it the day it's been made - pretty good. Let it rest in the fridge overnight, simmer for a while the next day - best fucking thing ever.

Same goes for lasagna, ratatouille etc.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

>> No.7868577

It's really, really simple, actually: for anything soupy/saucy/stew-y if it cools overnight, say in the fridge, and is then reheated later, more water is evaporated out, essentially reducing the dish and concentrating its flavours.

The whole "the flavours have a chance to marry!!!" argument is complete twattage, although pasta/noodles left in sauce overnight will absorb more of its flavour, de-blandifying it. Same with potatoes left in a stew.

>> No.7869494

>>7868577
I disagree - these types of foods taste better even if microwaved which hardly has much evaporation.

I also find this is the case for foods that aren't heated, like gazpacho, but the enzymes are probably more important in this regard.