[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 370 KB, 1024x680, not enough peppers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7629581 No.7629581 [Reply] [Original]

I've recently come into possession of four or five pounds of fresh birds eye chili peppers. What should I do with them? They're 100,000-220,000 Scoville heat units, for what it's worth.

I've been eating a few every day raw, making capsaicin coffee, and putting them in almost every dish. but I'm just not sure what to do with five pounds of fresh peppers. I was thinking of either making a tub of hot sauce or drying them for a chili powder.

Any ideas?

>> No.7629601

>>7629581

Dry them out in the oven and use as needed.

>> No.7629625

>Hot Sauce
I tried this. Made a killer pineapple and chilli hot sauce. Bottled it up. When I opened it, that shit had fermented or something and just started bubbling over.

My best results have been with making chutneys. Birds Eye are great in a mango chutney. And ive never had a jam or chutney go off..that stuff keeps for a long long time.

>> No.7629656

>>7629601
Good idea, I'll do that for a couple of pounds of it.

>>7629625
>fermented
That's a shame. I've had accidentally fermented foods explode and give me friction burns. I'll definitely try chutney since I've got a few mangos that need using. Jam's a great idea, too; thanks a bunch.

>> No.7629681

>>7629656
I dont know what I did wrong or why it fermented. Perhaps it wasnt sealed correctly.

Onion chutney is probably the easiest to make and quite versatile. I kind of ruined my tomato chutney by using cherry tomatoes. Far too many seeds to flesh ratio. Use the correct tomatoes and its great though, especially with some fiery chilli.

>> No.7629786
File: 65 KB, 585x585, 1443463092288.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've made hotsauce and powder with them. I enjoyed both,

I really love what I did with the last of my harvest though-- I dried them, smoked them, then ground them up. The trick was to bake them in the oven right before I tried to grind them- they absorb humidity over time and even dried peppers can be too pliable in the food processor to break up.

I love hot pepper flakes on pizza, and this shit is way tastier than anything I usually use. They last forever like this too, so no rush to eat it ASAP.

>> No.7630085

>>7629581
I usually grind/blend mine up with a bit of vinegar (and maybe some garlic and cumin, or garam masala)

>> No.7630123

>>7629581
Just pickle them, simple simple simple

Collect some old hot sauce bottles, clean them real good.

Poke a couple of holes in each pepper with a knife or a toothpick, boil some white vinegar and toss them peppers in for a minute or two.

Fill those bottles up, cap 'em and let them sit for at least a week before using. Decent vinegar hot sauce for you.

Make it more interesting by adding garlic and spices and processing the mixture to make a pastey sauce if you like.

>> No.7630127

>>7630123
*note, when filling the bottles get the peppers in there too. That seems obvious to me but I wanted to make sure that I'm not misunderstood.