[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.19 MB, 2638x2550, emergency_essentials.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7594554 No.7594554 [Reply] [Original]

Dear /ck/

I'm a prepper from /k/out/ and I'm looking to begin saving up one month's food and water in case of emergencies. My problem is nobody on /k/out/ is really there for food ( although it occasionally comes up in regards to cooking at campsites ) so I decided to come to you for advice. If you were to begin stockpiling which foods would you store, why, and how would you store them? I'm prepared to buy a meet freezer for whatever that is worth. Do you think you can help a /k/ommando-sc/out/ out with his food prep?

>> No.7594561

>>7594554
Sounds dumb. My walk-in pantry is unintentionally stocked with shit that could last me over a month.

Buy chickens.

>> No.7594585
File: 22 KB, 541x733, 1398387042455.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7594554
Hard Tack. Do it up dood.

>> No.7594615

>>7594561
what will you feed the chickens when out of food?

>> No.7594619

>>7594615
grass, bugs, scraps, and semen

>> No.7594642

>>7594554
The tough thing with stockpiling food is that most modern foods designed for long term shelf stability are shit. You have good things like dried beans, rice, pasta and canned tomatoes. spices and other grains. Then you have some passable things like tinned fish and canned soups and bean dishes. But generally good food requires fresh, perishable ingredients. So the kind of food you have to buy as a prepper is pretty much garbage. Someone who is into good food would have a problem buying that shit in the first place.

I have easily a month's worth of beans, rice, pasta and canned tomatoes because I buy that stuff in bulk. But without fresh ingredients to add to them that would be a month of incredibly dull meals.

>> No.7594665
File: 109 KB, 715x428, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You should also look into dried meats and preserved vegetables.

Get your pickle on

>> No.7594959

>>7594554
1 shelf stable
2 freeze dried
3 canned
4 pickled, salt packed, or dehydrated
5 refrigerated
6 fresh

flavor meals flavor meals from the high side don't forget seasoning

stretch meals from the low side also potato homegrown in a barrel

ALWAYS rotate stock try to use enough highside so nothing goes bad

there are also advanced techniques for increasing the shelf life of highside so you can make flavorful meals well into the apocalypse

ALWAYS pressure canner no substitutions

>> No.7594961

>>7594642
>oods designed for long term shelf stability are shit

that's fine. It's for an emergency situation, not a 3-star tasting menu.

>> No.7594988

>>7594961
My point is that if you're in the habit of buying good quality food it's kind of hard to bring yourself to spend money on food you know isn't good just for the off chance something fucked up will happen and you'll be stuck eating it. Just seems like a waste of money to me. I'd rather just keep extra of stuff I'll actually use on hand than have a bunch of stuff I'll never eat unless something terrible happens.

>> No.7594993

>>7594988
Preppers aren't really used to the idea of cooking, they eat junk food most of the time stemming from and further reinforcing their crippling fear of the unknown. They project this fear upon others, so you can now expect a post along the lines of "when TEOTWAWKI comes, I'll be laughing at all the dying sheeple from my bunker of guns and MREs"

>> No.7595014

>>7594993
Yeah, it seems like applying a military way of thinking to civilian life. We don't know when the war is gonna come, so we better stockpile guns, ammo and horrible food. Part of what I enjoy about civilian life is that I don't have to eat awful food while armed to the teeth. I can spend my money on good food and not give two shits.

>> No.7595142

>>7594993
Some preppers like good food. However, when working with preserved food the fresh taste of all of your ingredients is gone. Unless you grow your own.

>>7595014
You do not have to store years of food, eating and rotating as you go, instead store two months of food and work it into your regular meals so it doesn't go bad seems like a good compromise. that way if something does happen you have two months of beans and rice or something so you don't starve immediately.

>> No.7595168

>>7595142
I tend to buy beans and rice in bulk to begin with. But I live in NYC. I've lived through 9-11, the 2003 blackout and Hurricane Sandy. It's not like the pizza joints and Chinese restaurants close just because there's a crisis. Really, anything big enough to take out the city would probably take me out as well, so I'm not worried about survival in a disaster.

>> No.7595181

>>7595168
In case you don't die stockpile water and a filter because real thirst SUCKS

>> No.7595190
File: 49 KB, 500x375, prepper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

at least a six pack of Dr. Prepper

all the preppers I know store this

>> No.7596761

>>7594619
You'll run out of bugs and semen faster than you think

>> No.7597103
File: 191 KB, 1200x900, Honey (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7594554
Buy a few gallons of pure farm fresh honey, from a farmers if possible.

Pure natural honey will last almost literally forever but processed honey will go bad pretty quick.

Its better than storing regular cane sugar, you can live off of just honey for short periods of time.

It has more calories so its a better source of energy that sugar, and you can even use it for first aid.

Also make room for seeds, make a seed vault with easy to grow and durable plants for each season.

>> No.7598930
File: 1.58 MB, 1500x2121, 1433413911333-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7594554
nuts last almost forever under room temperature. Military food MRE guidelines usually have a minimum of 2000 - 3000 calories per meal so if you were seeing combat constantly you might want to keep that in mind when preparing.

I hate to break it to you but when it comes to getting protein, calories, and fiber (last one is mandatory if food is scarce) Steel cut oats and oatmeal in general is the way to go.

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8&q=quaker%20oatmeal%20calories&oq=quaker%20oatmeal%20calories&aqs=chrome.0.0l6.3576j0j7

Also just because something is in a jar or a can does not mean it will have a long shelf life. For example, rather than stock up on peanut butter, you may want to buy peanuts since they will last quite a while. Ramen is actually good but be careful, eat the noodle but dump the broth. The sodium content is far too high and all the calories are in the noodles.

>>7597103
Yes to this.

>> No.7598999

What they are prepping for is shit hitting the fan. Stores will not be open. Highways and roads will be jammed and unusable with cars with no motorists. Electricity and internet will be down. Public water and waste will be unusable. It's not like cooking a beautifully laid out 7 course meal for you and your fiance and her 3 kids. You will need food, water, a heat source, but what I most recommend is books. I would love to just sit out on a log and read a book and die in the apocalypse than live off canned tuna and spam and spaghettios. I do love peanuts though, so that is a great idea. Peanuts and honey. Oh and also your money won't mean shit because it will be back to trading goods for what you need.

>> No.7600202

>>7598999
unmanned electricity can go for months. pretty sure people would keep it going, at the least with rolling black out. if we're talking about a massive solar flare, then power would be out for a year.

The rest would be normal, but water would be the bigger problem.

>You now realize you could sit on a log and read a book now.

I have a huge trunk of books, so that would be the most likely thing.

>> No.7600217

>>7600202
If i remember right, the entire country could be without power for months if just a few power substations were taken out.

A well organised attack could really fuck us over

>> No.7600243

>>7594554
Get a compost heap going so you can grow stuff, havest worms for dirt, and turn your scraps into more food
How do stockpilers plan on handling waste, anyways? You won't have a trash man of proper plumbing, and if things are really that fucked up you don't want to shit in a field

>> No.7600386

>>7600243
Hey man, nothing wrong with night soil, unless you're a worm infested bastard from impoverished lands.

>> No.7601047

>>7598999
alternate scenario:

>shit never hits the fan
>you've wasted your life and thousands of dollars stockpiling canned green beans and tuna

>> No.7601086

>>7594554
As someone that has a cow butchered every year I would advise against you buying a meat freezer just for a SHTF scenario. If you don't have a backup power source for the meat and food your freezing then what's the point. If you can't eat that much meat in a years 1-1 1/2yr) time then what's the point. If you insist then make jerky. Grow a garden and can or dehydrate 1/2 of your yield.

When you store items you still want to be able to use them and must rotate things out.

A lot of preparedness also depends on where you live. I'm out in the country and power outages and hurricanes, tornadoes are common.
We usually have extra non perishables around because I don't want to have to drive 20 miles into town for 1 thing. So, I almost always have extra things and consider myself prepared. Now if a bad tornado hits here I'm prolly fucked. The recent floods in Texas left us without power for 3 days in my area unable to get out and we managed fine.

If your going to stockpile 1 month worth of supplies obviously get some dry goods and canned goods, oil, flour,etc. I would say don't buy things or put up things that your not going to eat or don't usually like.

So, canned goods that you like, dry goods you like, water, batteries, flashlights, candles, Cash, maybe some gasoline If your in a rural area. just know that if nothing happens you want to be able to use and rotate your stock so that your not wasting your money. Nothing wrong with being prepared, just don't go full blown paranoid.

>> No.7601324

Deep freezers are for mothers who have hoarding issues with meat that's on sale and people that hunt. Unless you have a sizable family, you're never going to eat through enough meat to warrant a deep freezer.

Don't be just another dumb shit prepper.
Become a food historian, put to use the old ways. Make pemmican. Make potted meat. Just tallow. Tallow everywhere.
Just keep in mind this shit is still only self stable for at most a year.
You'll want a vacuum packer more than you'll want a deep freezer, really.

But really, the thing you need to focus on is fiber. Like all those MRE horror stories, if you don't assemble a proper diet, you'll be prepping yourself for a torn anus.

>> No.7601339

>>7600243
And what do they eat in the months it takes anything substantial to grow?

>> No.7601383
File: 28 KB, 400x400, free-shipping-gibson-les-paul-special-2016-japan-proprietary-tv-yellow-guitar-49ab5f44e9550b2c9b74d4ae00303bb1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7594554
Cant emphasize enough the importance of stocking up on DRY BEANS, which are imperishable, storing infinitely. But, they aren't just a meal, they are also a CROP; plant these faggots and they multiply. Now youre planning not just for the collapse of civilization but also it's upswing.

>> No.7602118

>>7601383
Bump

>> No.7602132

>>7601383
Dry beans are terrible in a survival situation, you need over 9000 niggawatts just to cook them. Also, dry beans will kill you when consumed raw whereas most other dried foods (rice, flour, sugar, pasta etc.) can be eaten raw even if they don't taste very good that way.

>> No.7603192

>>7600243
There's a pretty solid FM on field sanitation.

It's really not that hard.

>> No.7603207
File: 377 KB, 300x169, 1461289962997.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7602132
>Dry beans are terrible in a survival situation, you need over 9000 niggawatts just to cook them.