[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 10 KB, 300x168, porchettayum.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7491046 No.7491046 [Reply] [Original]

hey /ck/ just picked up some porchetta. whats the best way to cook it? I was thinking of searing it and throwing it in the slow cooker for the day on low. Will about 8 hours on low in the crock pot be too long and destroy it?
>best way to cook porchetta

>> No.7491122
File: 1.48 MB, 3264x1836, IMG_20160225_242522_455.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I did this just recently. I slow roasted it in the oven and then cranked it up to crisp up the skin. I also just used pork belly instead of wrapping a pork loin in it. I personally don't see the point in drying out a pork loin when you can just have delicious fatty melt in your mouth pork belly all the way through.

>> No.7491133

What is porchetta? I was googling it, some pages say it's a deboned whole piglet, others were saying it's just a roast of a certain cut of pork.

>> No.7491158

>>7491133

Traditionally it is a pork belly with the loin still attached at the top and then rolled with the skin still intact on the outside. The belly is typically rubbed with fresh herbs and citrus and then rolled up and slow roasted until the collagen in the pork belly starts to break down and render its fat which in theory helps to keep the loin from drying out from the long slow roasting process. If I were going to cook one with the loin still attached I would sous vide it and then toss it in the oven at the end to get that nice cracklin' on the outside.

>> No.7491187

>>7491133

Traditionally it is a pork belly with the loin still attached at the top and then rolled with the skin still intact on the outside. The belly is typically rubbed with fresh herbs and citrus and then rolled up and slow roasted until the collagen in the pork belly starts to break down and render its fat which in theory helps to keep the loin from drying out from the long slow roasting process. Of course this really isn't the case as cooking any piece of pork with little to no intramuscular fat past 150 dries it out. If I were going to cook one with the loin still attached I would sous vide it and then toss it in the oven at the end to get that nice cracklin' on the outside.