[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 22 KB, 400x548, spud.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7451161 No.7451161 [Reply] [Original]

Boil the potatoes and then cut them, or cut the potatoes and then boil them?

>> No.7451179

>>7451161
Cut first. It will reduce the time you need to boil them. You do have to watch them closer though. They will start to fall apart if you overdo it, because the skin no longer encloses it. The bonus here is that the starch filled water can be used as a thickener in whatever else you are making for the meal. Salting the water becomes more effective if you chop first as well.

>> No.7451183

If you are making potato gnocci then don't cut the potatoes before boiling.
They absorb water and then need too much flour to compensate.
At least in my experience

>> No.7451199

I always cut the potato and then Boil them.

But when I was working in a restaurant we used to peel the potato and Steam them Whole.

When I am home if I am making mash I will boil them in large chunks. If you cut them too small they get gummy.

I have not tried to steam them whole at home because I dont have that big of a steamer at home to do enough for mash potato.

I only have a small steamer for veggies.

In restaurants they have huge industrial steamers with trays and they can fit many inside.

>> No.7451229

pressure cookers are great for cooking potatoes. slice in half, place in steamer basket, add 1-2 cups of water, and cook for 15 minutes = perfect potato

>> No.7451342

>>7451183
bake them whole and peel them ... less water, less flour...

>> No.7451929

>>7451342
I'll give it a try.
Thank you, anon.

>> No.7451948

boilem, mashem, stickem inna stew

>> No.7451991

Souse Vide them tatoes.