[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.94 MB, 2660x2002, 1449283551281.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7442483 No.7442483 [Reply] [Original]

How do you brew your coffee? What is in your coffee arsenal?
What are your favorite origins or blend?
Favorite supermarket coffee?
Favorite fast-food chain (Starbucks included) for coffee?

Instant drinkers need not apply.

>> No.7442802
File: 193 KB, 842x593, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7442483
>How do you brew your coffee? What is in your coffee arsenal?
>What are your favorite origins or blend?
>Favorite supermarket coffee?

Who gives a fuck. Start making inflammatory claims or shitting on opinions.

>Favorite fast-food chain (Starbucks included) for coffee?

Mcdonalds is indisputably the best because the competition is just so fucking bad now

>> No.7442809
File: 1.17 MB, 3329x3329, C4Coffee_Bellman_CX25S_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7442802
Also next week I'm going to be the proud owner of this piece of shit now. How fucked am I?

>> No.7442835

>>7442802
>start
The only thing that was "shitted" on was instant though, anon. And opinions aren't immune to criticism, especially on 4chan where literally everything good or bad gets shitted on by someone.

>>7442809
I don't have one but it looks pretty neat. It's basically a moka pot but even better since it can make some crema, and has an actual steam wand to steam milk. I'm a bit jealous.

>> No.7442867

>>7442809
The one you have pictured (s-model) is just a steamer which means it only steams milk. Thats pretty much all bellmans are good for anyway though. I hope you got one with a pressure gauge.

>> No.7442876

I'm finally buying some gourmet coffee grounds, what's the real difference between finely ground and coarsely ground? Is the coffee gonna come out any different?

>> No.7442919

>>7442876
Grind size directly relates to extraction time. All else being equal the smaller the particle size the faster the extraction. You really need to gauge grind size based on the brew method though and then tweak it from there.

You should also be buying whole beans and then grinding them before brewing otherwise the coffee will be stale and the taste will be negatively impacted. You can get a grinder for as little as $20.

I'm not sure what you mean bu 'gourmet' but ideally you want coffee that has been roasted between 3 days and 1 month ago and grind right before brewing to get the best flavor.

Check out happy mug coffee. Freshly roasted beans for about as cheap as you can get them.

>> No.7443035
File: 216 KB, 1000x962, P1080486cropres.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>How do you brew your coffee?

French Press, Aeropress, and 6 cup Moka Pot. Haven't used the Aeropress since I got the Moka pot.

>What is in your coffee arsenal?

Currently Papua New Guinea (medium roasted) and "Sumatra Blend" (dark roasted). I was reminded why I never buy dark roasts anymore.

>What are your favorite origins or blend?

Brazillian, Ethiopian, and Papua New Guinea. At least, those are the origins my local roaster claims that I liked.

>Favorite supermarket coffee?

Last time I tried some pre-ground Peet's I thought it was alright. I'm not exactly eager to run to the grocery store and buy more though.

>Favorite fast-food chain (Starbucks included) for coffee?

None. I used to buy beans from Starbucks before supporting local business. The extra cost is worth it for the freshness alone.

>> No.7443071

>>7442919
Happy Mug is the shit. The coffee is always 2-3 days fresh and it's cheap as hell. I wish they'd use better packaging though. The coffee beans are pretty abused on there way to being delivered to my mailbox: compared to the coffee beans I get at the local roaster.

>>7443035
Hey you're the guy that posted about that mexican coffee from that same roaster.

>> No.7443085

How can I buy coffee that was made by child slaves?

>> No.7443096

>>7443085
Buy beans from Africa

>> No.7443120

>>7443085
Step one: genetically engineer human beings that excrete coffee.

>> No.7443122

Do any of you actually add water to the coffee you get making it with an aeropress? I wasn't going to do that, but I didn't understand until just trying it how little coffee the thing actually makes at a time.

>> No.7443128

>>7443122
I've done it before.

When you brew with a metal filter, the taste after adding an equal amount of water is on par with french press. At least I thought so.

>> No.7443131
File: 56 KB, 720x720, 1456244091047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7442483
I switched back to folgers after a 2 month stint with whole beans.

It tastes mostly the same, I honestly enjoy eight o clock coffee more, but not by a whole lot, it's all good so long as you keep the grounds sealed and you don't burn the grounds while brewing.

>> No.7443135

>>7443131
The taste difference isn't going to be as drastic since eight o clock beans are still stale as fuck.

>> No.7443147

>>7443128
Thanks, that's good enough for me.

>> No.7443151

>>7443135
Stop using that term "stale".
It's fucking meaningless.

I know what stale coffee tastes like.
Supermarket preground is not stale.

Just because it doesn't let you feel superior to others doesn't make it terrible.

>> No.7443190

>>7443151
No, it's fucking stale. Your taste buds have Down's Syndrome.

>> No.7443201

>>7443151
once upon a time I explained to some dipshit that dry coffee sealed in nitrogen cannot oxidize

he told me my coffee still wasn't fresh, only "preserved"

>> No.7443204

>>7443190

Don't ever fucking reply to my posts again unless you have something to contribute for this thread.

>> No.7443205
File: 21 KB, 480x600, 5eb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Coffee is the only way I can start my day!

>> No.7443209
File: 1.65 MB, 178x120, 1456386138710.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7443204

>> No.7443217

>>7443209
hello le reddit

>> No.7443253
File: 14 KB, 190x200, Petak+rolled+a+random+image+posted+in+comment+775+at+_c0f10555757573c147f9946e96dc8de9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7443217

>> No.7443270

What if I just enjoy the smell? My bro drinks it as black as can be.

I take one sip and it is ass in my mouth.

>> No.7443303
File: 1.58 MB, 1440x1080, jack-the-braindead-thumbtack.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7443209
That's actually a really appropriate reaction image. It's been a while since I've seen someone legitimately lose their shit over a post.

>>7443201
Nitrogen flushing the bag might slow down staling considerably, but there are still reactions in the bean that that do not involve oxygen that will nonetheless deteriorate flavor. And technically, there is still lipid oxidation happening inside the bean caused by free radicals produced when it was roasted. It's all the more apparent if it's preground.

Local roasters wouldn't be nearly as successful if people could get the same flavorful coffee at the supermarket when they buy nitrogen-flushed Lavazza beans, which are god knows how many months old since it was roasted in Italy.

http://www.scaa.org/chronicle/2012/02/15/what-is-the-shelf-life-of-roasted-coffee-a-literature-review-on-coffee-staling/

>> No.7443323

French press.
I occasionally set up my programmable drip brewer which is convenient, but I always come back to the French press as the old go-to.

I always by coffee at Sprouts Farmers Market because that's where I mainly buy groceries. It's the store brand, in bulk containers.

I like Central/South American medium roasts the most.

As for restaurant chain, Mickey D's is as good as any.

>> No.7443348

>>7443071
I love happy mug too. They are currently going through a lot of changes that you can read about on their blog. They went up $2-$3/lb but they are updating their bags and website.

>> No.7443370

>>7443122
It really just depends.

I can get 300ml out of an AP which is plenty for me for a single cup and I can make another after. If it isn't enough for you and you aren't in a situation where you can make multiple cups or just don't want to then you can brew it strong enough to dilute. There are a few things that impact the strength. Those are ratio of beans to water, water temp, grind size, and extraction size(mineral content of water does play a role too but not to as large of an extent.) The best way to do this is to increase your ratio. While you could get the same results by playing with the other variables they are also easier to result in an under or over extracted cup or both. Try something in the 1:8 range if you want to dilute by 50%.

>> No.7443377

>>7443348
Yeah I've read, even with the price increase they're a heck of a lot cheaper than basically everyone. I'm kicking myself for not getting my baratza grinder from them. They sell it for the same price amazon does, except they also give you a free pound of coffee to go with it.

>> No.7443403

>>7443377
Yeah, its probably the best deal you can get on an Encore. Even the $100 refurbs from the Baratza website end up being more expensive once you figure in the cost of shipping and the lb of coffee. You might occasionally find one cheaper on sale somewhere but the thing is, while Baratza allows companies to run sales and sell for cheaper than 129 they have an agreement with all of their vendors that says they can't publicly advertise at a lower price. Kind of sucks but they do it so that the smaller vendors don't get pushed out by the guys that buy tons at a time for a lower rate.

I wouldn't feel too bad about it though. Its still a good deal at 129. They last forever and you can replace anything that breaks pretty cheap. If you haven't already I would really suggest upgrading the Encore burrs to the Preciso burrs. Its like $30 for the Preciso burrs on the Baratza website and the grid quality and reduction in fines production is great. It basically turns the Encore into a Preciso but without the extra adjustments but you can always just remove the housing and adjust the little screw if you find that you need more adjustment on the fine or coarse end.

>> No.7443408

>>7443377
oh, and yeah, even with the price increase its still the best deal around for fresh roasted beans. Most others are still charging $18/12oz or around there. Its barely more expensive than supermarket coffee and way way better. Their green beans are pretty good too.

>> No.7443428

>>7443403
>>7443408
I'll consider the burr upgrade. But I think I'd rather save the money for a variable temp gooseneck kettle and a chemex. Although fewer fines would be a godsend since at least 75% of the time I'm brewing with my french press. My local roaster is doing $15/12 oz. Freaking highway robbery on my college student budget. God why did I get in to coffee, this is an expensive but oh so delicious world.

>> No.7443461

>>7442867
the gauge model comes with the coffee component and is twice the price, so I had to do without. I guess I'll start steaming shortly before the time the safety valve usually blows

I got it to replace my milk heater/frother that does nothing but beat huge dry suds that won't mix and feels like I'm eating bubblebath. I'm worried about milk texture. I see a lot of youtubers doing latte art successfully, but even more forum posts by frustrated owners that can't get microfoam with it

>> No.7443492

>>7443428
You're telling me. I've got like 10+ different brewers. You will love the Bonavita VT gooseneck. It really is a game changer. Keep an eye on Amazon. The price drops pretty significantly at times and if you sign up for those cashback websites you get like 5% cashback or so on Amazon purchases. Since you are a student on a budget I would also recommend signing up for bing rewards. You earn points for doing searches(or you can use a bot to do it once a day) and if you do them every day you can end up with 2 $5 amazon gift cards a month. It may not seem like a lot but its basically $10 a month/$120 a year for doing nothing.

>> No.7443494

>>7443461
There are 6 models IIRC the stovetop coffee, the stovetop steamer, and the electric coffee one and then a variant of each with a pressure gauge. I don't see much of a point in the coffee models to be honest. You will get a much better cup just pairing it with a Moka or something similar if on a budget or a manual or lever espresso machine without a steamwand than you do if you use it to actually make coffee, its a pain in the ass to clean and you can't make coffee and steam milk in the same session without cleaning it after making the coffee.

It can produce microfoam for lattes or foam for caps and other drinks. It just takes time and practice especially when you don't have a pressure gauge to go by but after a while you will get a feel for when it is ready. Even on a commercial or prosumer level espresso machine with a great steam wand good microfoam doesn't come easy and takes practice to get it right consistently. There is a pitcher(you can find it on Seattle Coffee Gear youtube page) that does make it easier but once you get it down you really don't need it. The most important thing to remember is to hold it still at the proper angle and don't over or under fill your pitcher. You want it about 1/3 full. There are basically two ways to go from there. The traditional approach is to froth first and then steam by having the tip of the wand just below the surface and then once the foam is right then dropping it down to steam. The other is to steam the milk first by dropping the steam wand down like .5 inch or so and then pulling it up to right below the surface. The first method is a little better but either will work. Like I said, it just takes time. You can practice without wasting milk by using plain water with dish soap added into it.

>> No.7443498

>>7443461
>>7443494
You also want to start with cold milk and don't forget to purge the steam wand after each use. You may also have to descale after a while if your water is particularly hard but Dezcal is cheap.

And yeah, those little hand help "frothers" are shit. They are basically just little electronic miniwisks.

>> No.7443537

>>7443428
>>7443492
Oh and as for the chemex I would actually recommend starting getting into pourovers with the Kalita Wave 185 unless you really need something that is going to make like 6-8 cups at a time. Its a much more forgiving pour over brewer than the chemex and is a lot easier to learn on. The flat bed and ridged filters help with even extraction. Its also quite a bit cheaper than the Chemex which makes it a much more accessible option to start out with. You will really be amazing at the difference going from full immersion, especially something like a french press, to pour overs. It does take a bit of practice but I think its worth it and the Kalita makes it easy to jump into. I'd shy away from the v60 as well. It can be super finicky maybe even more so than the chemex but the real issue is that they recently changed their filters which was one of the things that made the v60 unique. They have moved to a thicker, chemex like filter, which would kind of be okay if they had told anyone instead of just letting people find out on their own or made it to where you can tell the difference in the two. They have the exact same product number and packaging as the old ones which makes it near impossible to tell. Matt Perger recently found that out the hard way in the middle of a live demo. The Clever is also a pretty good and affordable device to transition from a french press or aeropress to a true pour over. It is still full immersion since but outside of that it is still very reminiscent of pour over in construction. You could get both for the price of a Chemex too.

>> No.7444191

>tfw finally hit the sweet spot grind size and acquired the holy grail v60 coffee with zero bitterness nor any hint of over/underextraction
Feels fucking good. Buying a better grinder was the best decision of my life, I've been using that shitty Hario hand grinder for too long.

>> No.7445670

>>7444191
Good luck keeping it that way. Hario changed their filters.

>> No.7445683

>>7445670
I heard about that. Do you have the new ones? Are they really that much worse? If so I might just stock up on the older ones, people are still selling them.

>> No.7445713

>>7445683
They are a lot different. Trouble is there is no way to know whether you have the new ones or the old ones until you start using it. All the numbers and all that are the same.

>> No.7445727
File: 748 KB, 600x800, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7445713
The new ones have a tab actually, picture related.

>> No.7446873

Can't wait to get a girl preggo (or just a gf period) to try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRpQCttO9xM

>> No.7447132
File: 62 KB, 1024x614, CPuXOjYUAAA4jqd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.7447209

>>7443204
don't ever talk to me or my son again

>> No.7447284
File: 317 KB, 575x576, 1443541109470.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7443151
>Supermarket preground is not stale.

>> No.7447286
File: 34 KB, 666x800, fukyoshit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7447284

>b-but it comes in a stay-fresh can..

>> No.7448208

>>7443151
Uhh, coffee goes stale dude. It's not a made up thing... As soon as you roast coffee, it starts losing its flavour. Why do you think its stored in air tight containers? For fun?

How could you possibly think "stale coffee" is a meaningless term?

What the fuck is wrong with you.

>> No.7448219
File: 57 KB, 500x500, 1419561007339.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Electric Kettle
A couple different size Bodums
Hario Skerton
Boyer's beans

>> No.7449848

>>7448208
>How could you possibly think "stale coffee" is a meaningless term?

Because everything is stale, you didn't know?

>> No.7450416

>>7442802

the pic is bullshit though. it IS unintuitive to have something called "tall" be the smallest option

>> No.7450424
File: 3.92 MB, 5312x2988, 20160213_173653.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't know if right thread but anyone care to recomend any coffee liquers? Not Kahlua btw.

>> No.7451333

Can someone explain the actual differences between just using a plastic supermarket pour-over and these $20+ ones with dedicated filters? I legitimately don't understand how they could make a tangible difference.

>> No.7451647

Wonder if anyone can tell me why is the body of coffee brews from moka pots and espresso machines different than pour overs and drips?

>> No.7452046

>>7443492
>>7443494

After trying it I really wish it had a pressure gauge. It's really convenient to fill it up once and re-use it until the water level is too low. The problem is how impossible it is to guess the pressure when you start with different temperatures and volumes of water. I also don't know how safe it is to leave it on heat until the safety valve goes, if it ever fails this thing will become a missile.

I have a steaming problem though. Sometimes when I start steaming, the milk inflates. And I don't just mean big bubbles, I mean the milk swells and overflows the jug in seconds. Isn't the steam wand only supposed to push air into the milk if its near or above the surface? It does this when the wand is completely submerged. I don't know where the air is coming from. It didn't do this the first time I tried it with soapy water. At first I thought it was because I opened the valve too fast, going slow remedied it on the next try. I got my milk jug today and went slow, and it didn't make a difference. It was an instant foam party.

>> No.7452248

>>7451333
It'd really depend what plastic supermarket pour-over you're talking about. The material that the thing is made doesn't really make a difference besides maybe heat retention, and for that, plastic has been said to be better than at least ceramic. It's all in the design of the pour-over thing and the filter type.

>>7451647
Moka pot and espresso machines use pressure, which forces oils out of the grounds that would otherwise stay in the grounds with pour over and drip. You also get some of the oils that would otherwise be filtered out by the paper filter in drip and pour overs.

>> No.7452683

>>7452046
Actually now I'm sure I was still opening the valve too fast. I would close it securely after purging, so it when stick when opening it. Now I close it lightly and it opens smoothly.

I still have a problem though. Milk is only supposed to stretch when you are feeding it air on the surface right? I have a 12oz pitcher, and I filled up to the right level, less than half the height of the pitcher. I kept the wand submerged the entire heating process and didn't give it any air. By the time the milk was hot enough, it was ready to overflow.

>> No.7453044

so my only upgrade from shitty k-cups / instant coffee / auto coffeemakers was getting a french press a few years ago
however, i always bought preground, usually quite than recommended
i became quickly used to the resulting coffee though, as it was very rich and whatnot; even the copious amount of fines was fine

the other day i finally decided to buy whole beans
after a trial with a pestle and mortar, grinding what appeared to be a medium/coarse grind, the resulting french press coffee was very lackluster and watery compared to what i was used to

should i just keep using fine grinds, buy a decent grinder to actually get a coarse grind, or is there another method that reliably produces thoroughly rich and full bodied coffee

>> No.7453532

>>7453044
>or is there another method that reliably produces thoroughly rich and full bodied coffee

Shop at a super market with a coffee grinder and grind a whole bean bag how you need. It's funny because some whore brand you will never buy provides the store's grinder. Can't be helped though. Not buying their shit for sympathy.

Also 90% chance that some asshole has put ground coffee through the grinder a year ago. Just tell a store clerk and come back next week.

Just be prepared for everyone to look at you funny wondering if you're actually supposed to use the grinder. Like the hall monitor is going to turn up and cite you or some shit.

>> No.7453555

>>7453044
>Grinds coffee beans with a pestle and mortar.

What the fuck? A Hario Coffee Grinder costs like 14 quid off amazon. Get one

>> No.7453626

I use a french press and brew enough to fill a 16 oz thermos. It's the perfect size for me and helps keep it hot.

I just go to the grocery store and buy about 1/3-1/2 pounds of coffee at a time and use their in store grinder. Lasts a week or so.

>> No.7455219

>>7452683
Turns out I'm retarded. Opening the valve slow caused the problem, if you just rip the bitch open it powers through and doesn't make bubbles. I did the chsk chsk shit until it was warm, then submerged it until it burned my hand. Easy microfoam.

Also when googling the bellman, everyone failed to mention that the boil becomes quieter the closer the can is to maximum pressure. This is the perfect cue because it works with any water level and starting temperature. I use electric and imagine gas stoves would just be a little louder before it's ready. But it can't matter that much because there's a diminishing return on pressure gain the slower the boil is.

If this product didn't burn my fingers 5 times it would be perfect.

>> No.7455617

>>7453044

>after a trial with a pestle and mortar

wut

>i became quickly used to the resulting coffee though, as it was very rich and whatnot

>the resulting french press coffee was very lackluster and watery compared to what i was used to

You either didn't grind it right or you need to grind more beans.

>> No.7456445

>>7452046
>>7452683
>>7455219
Glad you finally got it figured out man. Sorry I wasn't around to give you advice. I've been busy with work. It takes a bit of practice but it seems you are getting the hang of it.

>>7453044
Buy a cheap Hario Skerton or mini mill. They are about $20. As to your problems chances are the grind was more coarse than you are used to and you didn't let it steep long enough. Inconsistency in grind size will also result in an over or underextracted brew. It could also be the coffee you used as well but it almost a 100% change its because of your "grind"

>> No.7456650

Bump

>> No.7457678

I'm a pleb that likes flavored coffee, but I don't know where to get better quality shit (whole bean). Gloria Jean's is a step above starbucks, but I still think I could get better.
Is Happy Mug good for this as well?

>> No.7457684

Just got one of these at work

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES860XL-Barista-Express-Espresso/dp/B002S51RQG

Any suggestions on beans? It makes fantastic espresso.

>> No.7458118

>>7442483
New York cup, please. Hold the sugar, but honey if you've got it.

>>7450424
Baileys creamer. Just mix real liqueur in your coffee: frangelico's hazelnut, dark rum of choice, or jameson (I hear) makes great black coffee.

>>7455617
Thought my chemistry degree qualified me to use the mortar and pestle variety, but coffee beans are much harder to grind than any pill or rock. Just use a grinder, it's much smoother.

>> No.7458305
File: 254 KB, 1000x940, P1080513cropres.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7457678
>flavored coffee

That's only good for scent/aroma. I've brewed flavored coffee many times and I could never actually taste the added flavor.

If you want a change in flavor, just use creamer.

>>7458118
>coffee beans are much harder to grind than any pill or rock

B8 or not, you need a means to control the coarseness/fineness of your grind and some consistency. Even by a little bit.

>> No.7458343

>>7458305
Well, I can taste a noticable difference in flavored coffees. Also, I don't use creamer (or anything else).
I guess I'll try a few different places. I placed an order at Hampton Coffee Company, then I'll try Lola Savannah, a local roaster, and Happy Mug.

>> No.7458409

>>7444191
Nice!
That is a great feeling. What grinder did you upgrade to?

I've recently been fucking around with making my own water, and haven't had a dialed in cup in fucking weeks. I've finally settled on a water recipe (and would be happy to share if it anyone is interested) yesterday so I can finally dial some stuff in. Nothing quite as satisfying as finding that sweet spot. Water composition is HUGE.

>> No.7458465

>>7451333
There really isn't much of a difference. I'll lay them out for you:

>Brew chamber geometry
This one is not super well understood. It doesn't play a giant role in the extraction, but can have some effect. Basically, depending on your grinder/pour method it will have varying levels of effects. If you are pouring in such a way that makes a lot of turbulence early on, and your grinder produces a somewhat varied particle size distribution, a cone shape will be best theoretically. This is because of how the particles distribute when they act like a fluid and then settle. The smaller particles will rise up and the big ones will sink down. In a cone brewer, more water flows through a square cm on the bottom than through a square cm on the top - roughly all the water will pass through the narrowest point on the bottom of the filter. This means that the larger particles will see more water and therefore be slightly more extracted, and the smaller ones will see less and be slightly less extracted. This means they will tend to be less under and over extracted respectively relative to the rest of the particles, leading to a more even and more tasty brew.

Typically plastic filter holders at a store are made for Melita style filters. These are hybrid between a cone and triangular pyramid. So they benefit from the effect above, but not as much as a v60. They also may have patches with more/less water flow because of the elongated bottom and the hole size/placement. The corners at the bottom will see less water flow and therefore less extraction than the places near to the holes. This will make your extraction less even, but the effect is small.

>Filter Thickness
This can make a big difference on the body of the cup and the brew time. It won't make a ton of difference beyond there. This is the reason that a chemex will make a cup with light body compared to a v60. The chemex has a thick filter, the v60 has a thinner one.

To be continued.

>> No.7458491

>>7458465
Cont.

The Melita filters are somewhere between the two in terms of thickness, although they are closer to the v60. With the new v60 filters, there really isn't much difference thickness wise (the Japanese ones are still thinner, but the ones made in holland are fairly thick).

>Filter Holder Heat Retention

Different materials have different heat conductance and retention. You can buy Melita style drippers in a few different material types. I really don't think the difference between the types of materials is large or meaningful. So don't worry about that.

>Hole Size and Placement
This is a large difference. Melita style drippers generally have 1 or 2 small holes at the bottom. The placement can make your brew more/less even by a small amount. The size will regulate your flow rate. The large hole v60's have is part of why they are used a lot - they allow for a lot of control over brew times. Kalita waves have 3 holes which is sort of a middle ground.

TL;DR:
I have made hundreds (or more) brews with v60/kalita wave/bonmac single hole melita style/chemex drippers. There really isn't a large difference between them once you get them dialed in. To a beginner, I would recommend a Melita style dripper because they are super easy to use and filters are easy to find.

Also, with this recent change in v60 filters, I am seriously considering using Melita style drippers in my cafe that is soon to be opening, so take that as you will.

>> No.7458498

>>7442483
I prefer to get my caffeine in the form of a sugar free energy drink.

>> No.7458591

Dark Roast, drunk black from a Chemex.

Don't need anything fancier than that.

>> No.7458592
File: 135 KB, 1469x916, 71oWQrqBfAL._SL1469_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7452248
>>7458465
>>7458491

Thanks friends. I really appreciate you guys going into detail.

A coworker was trying to talk me in to buying a v60, but couldn't really explain how it's better with any actual evidence, just essentially "it's better, don't use that shitty plastic one". He made a point regarding the hole being larger/has less pooling, but that was really it. I'll probably just stick with the one I have (pic related), as the filters are plentiful/inexpensive and it's not like the coffee tastes bad.

>> No.7458707

I keep making pretty shitty cups with my aeropress, anyone got a good recipe to share?

>> No.7458747

>>7458707

What makes them shitty?

>> No.7458788

>>7458707
Hard to say exactly how to make better coffee without knowing what you're doing. Try using better coffee, try a finer grind, try a longer brew.

I've been using my aeropress to make coffee every day for close to 9 years now. It took a little bit of fiddling around with the ratios but once I figured out what worked for me I've been doing that ever since.

I use two scoops of finely ground coffee (the scoop that came with it) tap it on the counter several times to pack the grounds down a bit. Slowly pour in 200F degree water to the 4 cup line, let it sit for about 30 seconds, stir it for another 30 seconds, then press it slowly for 30 seconds. It fills my insulated mug about 3/4 of the way and then I top it off with some more hot water.

You can also try the inverted brewing method as well but I've never found it necessary personally.

>> No.7458801

>>7458707
Here's what I've been doing:

15g coffee, 240g water
Grind the coffee fine - doing mine at 5 on the 3fe dial on my ek43 (2.5~ is what I use for espresso)
Boil that water - I'm using 96c water only because that is the boiling point at my elevation. Get it as hot as you can.
Rinse filter, screw it onto the body.
Regular style, not inverted.
Put the coffee in and dump in 50g~ of water as fast as you can and stir like a mad man for 5 seconds or so.
Dump in the rest of the water.
Press at 0:30
Finish at 1:00

Tips for success:
Make sure your coffee is good. Get something from a place that gives you origin information to farm/mill level.
Make sure that water is good. Buy reverse osmosis water, add 1g/L epsom salt and 65mg/L baking soda.
Make sure that grinder is good. You'll be struggling with a blade grinder, false burr grinder (low end electric grinders that are below 80 bucks and say they use burrs), or low end hand grinder (old style ones, or the skerton/porlex type).
Make multiple brews to dial it in.
Consult this thang for help with dialing in: http://www.baristahustle.com/the-coffee-compass/

>> No.7458949

I usually drink 36-48oz daily.
Is that excessive?

>> No.7459035

poorfag here?
are there any decent instant coffee brands?

until I save up and buy my own presser

>> No.7459234

>>7459035
You can't spend a couple bucks on filters and a plastic pour-over? Come on now.

The only piece of coffee specific stuff I paid more than $10 (Canadian) was an electric grinder.

>> No.7459249

>>7459035
nescafe if you must