[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.03 MB, 3264x1840, look at that shit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7135368 No.7135368 [Reply] [Original]

How do you get into real, genuine cooking as a college student?

I always feel like I want to make the jump from just your typical starter dishes to things that are a bit more robust, but every time that I end up at the grocery store trying to figure out what I should and shouldn't buy, planning ahead for what I might or might not want to make, it genuinely starts to get a bit intimidating.

How would you all recommend finally making the jump, and just starting to cook already? What's the best first step to moving on from a college diet into actually cooking for yourself?

>> No.7135374

JUST DO IT

>> No.7135396

think about what you like to eat or things you'd like to try and.... try them
one of the dishes that started me into cooking was ratatouille
saw the movie, wanted to try it, made the traditional stew version, liked it well enough
made the pretty disney version for a family gathering and everyone loved it
i probably make it every other week, its simple, tasty, and relatively cheap
so just think about some dishes you like, look up the recipes and make a shopping list
figure out what works for you and what doesn't and soon you'll have some staple meals

>> No.7135416

Just buy ingredients you like the look of and think of something to cook when the time comes to it.

I started out just cooking pasta with pasta sauce in a jar but it was boring as fuck so I bought some meat, veg, rice, what have you and taught myself to cook.

>> No.7135428

I just started as an off campus student so I know what you're feeling. I got a cookbook on puerto rican cookery because I didn't have any and looked through it seeing what looked good. From there, I made my list and started trying to cook things and they turned out pretty well. Currently have some chicken in sherry and some rice going on my stovetop and am about to microwave a bag of veggies. Best of luck anon

>> No.7136428

>>7135416
I think meats are always what I'm most hesitant with, since I have some experience grilling but outside of that I'm a bit in the dark. And I know it's pretty easy to fuck up cooking meats well if you go into it blind.

>> No.7136452
File: 201 KB, 623x661, 1367202780095.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I play spin the wheel on the booru. There's a random post button and I make one of the three things I run into.

Its ck.booru.org if you are not familiar.