[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 437 KB, 946x325, hero-egg-bacon-hash-breakfast-burro.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7036944 No.7036944 [Reply] [Original]

Question:

I'm looking to pre-make a bunch of breakfast burritos, and freeze them so that i have a filling and prepared breakfast that I can just pop in the microwave every morning.

Ingredients I want to include would be
>sausage gravy
>eggs and bacon
>red and green bell peppers
>cheese

My main concern would be the gravy and cheese, will they end up tasting like shit if I freeze them? Also, would wrapping them in foil be good enough? Saran wrap?

>> No.7036957

i did this once. the gravy will be ok but the cheese and eggs will suffer. if you wrap them in foil they might be a bitch to unwrap frozen and obviously you can't just micro them in the foil, so i would personally just go with wax paper or heat-stable plastic wrap.

all in all i think it's better to just have the fillings pre-prepared, in the fridge, and make your burritos fresh each day. but give it a go.

>> No.7036990 [DELETED] 

I'd make some sort of rich breakfast bread loaf. use milk instead of water, add some oil, eggs, minced ham, cheese, and jalepeno peppers. Bake, let cool, slice and freeze. It bet it would taste pretty good, honestly.

>> No.7036993

>>7036944

Have you never eaten a frozen burrito? Come on.

>> No.7036995

I'd make some sort of rich breakfast bread loaf. use milk instead of water, add some oil, eggs, minced ham, cheese, and jalapeno peppers. Bake, let cool, slice and freeze. I bet it would taste pretty good, honestly.

>> No.7037003

>>7036957
>>7036990
I have been pre-preparing the fillings and leaving them in the fridge, but i'm cooking for one and usually the stuff ends up going bad. i was just looking for a way to make it last longer.

>>7036993
Nope.

>> No.7037009

>>7037003
>i was just looking for a way to make it last longer.
divide the fillings into individual portions, then freeze them, and defrost in microwave in the morning?

>> No.7039509

You will need to seal them or they will get frost burned really fast.

The only ingredients that will suffer a lot from being frozen are the eggs and the peppers.

Also, if the burrito fillings are too wet they will turn the inner part of the tortilla into gross mush.

This coming from an R&D chef that creates frozen entrees for a living.

>> No.7040180
File: 22 KB, 300x400, belize.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7036944
throw in refried black beans and some Marie Sharp's and you've got a real winner.

Saran wrap will help guard against freezer burn and goes in the microwave unlike aluminum.