[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 30 KB, 800x544, Whole-Chicken-.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7031228 No.7031228 [Reply] [Original]

yo co/ck/s, i recently moved out and figured that for someone with no idea how to cook it'd be best to buy a whole bird every week and break it down since its infinitely cheaper and just eat a part every day

ive done this twice already, and it took only half an hour but i feel bad throwing out the scraps like the back bone and bones, what can i do with that shit?

also a cooking noob such as myself has only been baking the chicken parts with random seasoning, any anons have some recipes that are actually not boring and flavorful?

>> No.7031231

>>7031228
Stock. You freeze a couple then roast them and make stock.

>> No.7031242

>>7031228
instead of breaking it down you could just roast it whole then shred the meat off the bone and use it for soups, chicken salad, chicken n dumplings etc...

>> No.7031256

>>7031231
maybe you could provide me with a recipe? stock sounds good, could liven up basically anything
>>7031242
also a good idea, though i want to break it down for the purposes of experimenting with different dishes and such

>> No.7031383

You use scraps for stock/soup. You can easily make bomb-ass soup with little to no effort, as long as you have a day off to let bones simmer forever.

>> No.7031393

>>7031256
onion
carrot
celery
chicken bits
salt

add water and boil. if you desire a more intense (but less "clean") stock brown the chicken in a neutral fat (peanut oil, grapeseed oil, etc.) before boiling all that shit. skim the scum off while it's cooking

strain and freeze

>> No.7031475
File: 157 KB, 500x280, 541254123564564.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Soup and stock!

Boil the carcass(es)-- pull out of the water after things loosen up and pick the choie meat of the bones. return naked bones to pot and boil out that rich goodness. Add veggie sraps if you have any.

Now, store half of that delicious chicken broth for something else. Freeze it! Take the rest, add salt, pepper, chopped carrot, onion, garlic, and celery. Re-introduce chicken near the end.

That's two meals from scraps.

>> No.7031529
File: 1.70 MB, 2767x4151, MG_3941.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7031228
Make some coq au vin with the legs

render lardons/pancetta or bacon in a dutch oven
salt and then lightly brown the legs in the pork fat
remove legs and lardons from the pot
sweat white onions, carrots, celery and some garlic and button mushrooms with some thyme
deglaze with half a bottle of red wine and bring to a boil, make sure all the brown bits are dissolved
add a tsp of flour
lower heat, add legs back
simmer with closed lid for 40 minutes
take out meat and reduce sauce on high heat, add salt and pepper

serve with mashed potatoes or tagliatelle

>> No.7031533

make a bed of the rotting carcasses and sleep on it

>> No.7031845
File: 190 KB, 800x600, crackling.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Good job OP, you're basically ahead of 80% of this board already by breaking down your own chicken. People have already pointed you towards soup and stock for the carcass, some of your other cooking methods beyond baking are:
>grilling whole parts
>stir frying strips
>currying or stewing the dark meat
>poaching the white meat
>stuffing
>deep frying

Also, do yourself a favour and try rendering the fat out of some of the skin to make chicken crackling. Rip the skin off the breasts and thighs, cut it into small chunks, and leave it in a small pot over the lowest flame until it goes brown. Slotted spoon it onto a paper towel and sprinkle over some salt. You'll get a bunch of chicken fat left over to fry things with too.

>> No.7031860
File: 104 KB, 698x591, chicken-caesar-salad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7031845
Caesar salad is a good use of grilled chicken breast. Clench your fist and poke the base of your thumb, that's what it'll feel like when it's done. A simple version of the dressing is just mixing parmesan, anchovies, minced garlic and some white wine vinegar into a bunch of mayo. Fry some chunks of bread in your chicken oil for croutons.

Always remember some salt and pepper at the end.

>> No.7031872
File: 364 KB, 1650x1275, SpiceCuisine_Horizontal_Draft1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7031860
Here's an obviously oversimplified infographic, but it's should give you some ideas.

You like fajitas? Cut up strips of chicken, pepper, onion into a bowl. Toss in big spoonfuls of chilli powder and coriander, smaller amounts of the other things in the "Mexican" panel. Crank a pan and fry it off in some oil, add more if it looks dry. Squeeze lime over and stick it in some tortillas.

>> No.7031876
File: 319 KB, 1650x1275, SpiceBlends_Horizontal_Draft2-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7031872
Here's another one. Cut up chunks of chicken and mince a shitload of onion, garlic and ginger. Fry it with a heaping pile of the curry powder and garam masala mixes (easy on the cloves and cardamom, one or two is fine), then throw in water and boil for half an hour. Eat it with rice, and you've made a curry from scratch.

>> No.7032562

i wasnt expecting this many responses, helped quite a bit thanks