[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 62 KB, 599x585, my friday night.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6997507 No.6997507 [Reply] [Original]

I got some dishes from my mom. Mom got the dishes from grandpa's basement. Grandpa's basement was full of mold and trash. Bad.

The dishes are your run of the mill cheap dishes like you'd get at Wal Mart. I want to use them because they're good looking, the entire set is intact, and it's free.

I'm paranoid about bacteria though. I've washed the bowls 4 times in scalding hot soapy water. I just scoured each one with a brillo pad even though they look, feel, and smell clean. I still don't trust them.

Am I just being fucking stupid? Are they OK after a quick wash or can germs stay on them and make me sick?

I didn't know who to ask, but as I'm going to be eating food off of them, I though /ck/ might be able to speak from some level of wisdom.

Thanks, everyone.

>> No.6997516

They're fine.
If you really want to feel safe about using them, soak them in a sinkful of soapy water with a couple capfuls of bleach added for awhile. Then wipe and rinse as usual. Bleach kills everything.

>> No.6997536

>>6997507
I'm pretty sure you've killed almost every kind of bacteria that could have been in there. But if it makes you so uncomfortable, give them to someone else. It's not like they are expensive or something.

>> No.6997601

>>6997516
Thanks, I'm getting bleach now.
>>6997536
Yeah, you're right, but I'm fucking cheap so if they're viable, I want to use them. I'll bleach 'em. Thanks for the input.

>> No.6997626

>>6997507
What are they made of? If it's plastic, I wouldn't trust them.
But if it's the ceramic stuff then they're fine.

>> No.6997763

>>6997626
Yeah, coated ceramic. Bleachin' as we speak 8^)

>> No.6997780

>>6997763
If you still feel freaked out, boiling water would work. The whole plate will get hot, and kill off basically any bacteria, and as you've washed them enough, and they're glazed ceramic, nothing nasty could have seeped in.

>> No.6997783

>>6997780
Even the bleach is already way overdoing it.

>> No.6997804

>>6997780
Thanks, I'll boil them after the bleaching is done
>>6997783
I don't feel I can be too careful. This was some right nasty stuff in the basement. I'm not sure if I'm going to take the free clothes I was offered as I can't bleach/boil them.

>> No.6997816

>>6997516
This. There is literally nothing in existence on earth that can survive this level of cleaning. However if your grandpa's house was a crossroad for inter galactic and interdimensional beings then you're best bet is to just toss them.

>> No.6997840

>>6997507
They'll be fine after washing in hot soapy water. Stop being paranoid.

There's no need to go through any crazy disinfection routine.

>> No.6997867

Between the roaches, mice, mold, and general filth, I think my actions were justified.

>> No.6998141

Get a very large pot, line the bottom with terrycloth (basically, any shower towel will do), put the plates in there, add water to cover and boil them for 15 minutes then let them sit in the water until just cool enough to handle then wash with soap.
The 10 minutes of warm-up time and 15 minutes boiling will destroy any bacteria. The soap will clean them.
Enjoy your plates.

>> No.6998393

>>6997816
>Not having your kitchen running a higher biosafety level than the Apollo program
Do you even have running water in that mud hut?

>> No.6998468

>BOIL EVERYTHING

Jeez, you do got it bad. Bleach is enough. That's how a lot of restaurants set up a triple sink station, with a sanitizing sink being the last step.

For the record you don't need to go nuts with bleach either. Approx. 1 capful per gallon is optimal giving you about 100 ppm.

You can also use this to sanitize your counters, your stovetop, any plastic cutting boards for meat, the inside of your fridge.

Wear shit clothing when you do