[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 111 KB, 700x827, Menu-Front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6993156 No.6993156 [Reply] [Original]

I'm going to ask if you guys think this is a meme menu.

Now, as a chef, these kinds of menus piss me off. There is no coherence. Its just trendy shit. I have eaten here, and the food is decent. But the menu just makes me angry.

>> No.6993158
File: 136 KB, 700x900, Menu-Back.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6993156

>> No.6993170

>>6993158
>Mac n' Cheese with a daily price

Jesus, what an abomination

>> No.6993177

>>6993170
Yeah. My wife and I ate there a few weeks ago and they had duck leg confit mac'n'cheese. For duck confit, it had to be the driest bit of poultry I've ever had in my life. It is hard to dry duck out, much harder when it has been COOKING IN FUCKING FAT.

>> No.6993180

These prices seem very low for the ingredients. Wyoming?

>> No.6993187

>>6993180
Michigan. I'm sure it was GFS. And portion sizes weren't monstrous.

>> No.6993190

>>6993156
It looks like normal bar food with a couple of meme foods mixed in. Basically, every bar menu in existence. Not sure why you're so pissed.

>> No.6993192

>>6993177
Aoh, what the fuck, that's disgusting

What is the point of building a restaurant around all this trendy, low quality crap? Do these people not want to be in business in five years?

>> No.6993198

>>6993190

The area I live in has been described as "foody". There are about 6-8 restaurants that actually cook good food, 5 or 6 "micropubs" with menus like this, and everything else is Applebee's-tier or local places that mimic Applebees's. It just bugs me.

>>6993192
Their beer is good. I'll give them that.

>> No.6993206

>>6993156
Is this place a bar that happens to serve food? Our are they a full blown restaurant?

>> No.6993216

>>6993206
They weirdly haven't committed either way. It started as a microbrewery, but now they serve OTHER breweries in addition to theirs as well as the huge emphasis on food.

>> No.6993231

>>6993156
As a Britchef, the only thing I see is inconsistency but I think that multiple fusion (mainly Mexican influenced) is typical of American cuisine.
I don't see why OP is mad about this?

>> No.6993276

>>6993156

The little rider note warning about food poisoning down the bottom wouldn't fill me with confidence about what's going on in the kitchen when nothing besides the cerviche is seemingly in any state of rawness. I'd avoid seafood in any form regardless when that far from an ocean. Besides that, I wouldn't get a bahn mi from anywhere that wasn't run by zipper heads.

It just seems like what a chef who doesn't associate with hipsters would think hipsters would eat. Any self respecting hipster would scoff at the 2012ness of it all.

>Traverse City, Michigan

Flyover yokels are probably lapping it up

>> No.6993301

>>6993216
They should really quite emphasizing the food then. That menu doesn't have anything to be particularly proud of.

>> No.6993331

>>6993156
I don't buy into the idea of memefood, because if you take the word meme to mean unit of culture any recognizable dish is a meme.

But I see why this menu rubs you the wrong way. It's pretty tryhard for a place that's serving pub food. Putting the name of the executive chef at the top is a dead giveaway that what follows will be some overwrought shit. And even without the keffir lime in the ceviche and the avocado in the ranch dressing the house burger coming with bleu cheese, bacon and BBQ sauce is seriously overreaching.

I understand why someone might want to do a bar menu that's more interesting than sliders, jalapeno poppers, chicken tenders and mozzarella sticks. But this is an attempt to "elevate" lazy dishes by adding upmarket ingredients to them.

And the truth is that works out very well sometimes. If you take a dish that's delicious but kinda trashy, then make it with better than average ingredients you usually end up with something good. But an entire menu of such dishes is a bit much.

While it doesn't make me mad this is not a place I would choose to eat at. Partially because I'm guessing the customers are as tryhard as the menu.

>> No.6993355

>>6993156
Seems memey but memes seem different when it comes to food. A lot of people like sriracha, bacon, ranch, and truffle oil but probably because they are all pretty good. I would eat all of that except the deviled eggs.

>> No.6993439

Wouldn't eat there myself, but I can see that food appealing to a certain group of people. It's very inconsistent, except for it's somewhat overuse of popular ingredients (Sriracha, bacon, avocado, pork belly).
I just don't normally go for pub food, unless it's more traditional pub foods, and then only when I'm actually in a pub, which isn't very often, because I'm not a huge drinker.
I just get the feeling this place won't be open for very long, unless they have a REALLY good beer selection and service, focusing more on the bar aspect.

>> No.6993452

>>6993276
They're required by law to put those notices there. I don't know if all states do it, but a fair amount do.

>> No.6993533

>>6993156
Super meme menu, Dude. As a former kitchen manager, I'd be pretty disappointed/pissed off too. There's literally no originality in anything on that board of fare.

>> No.6994256

>>6993156
Female chef

>> No.6994333

>>6993158
I'm mexican and what the actual fuck is "mojo rojo"

>> No.6994343

>A brewery has typical bar far, a small menu, and hipsterish shit.

Not sure what you expected, OP.

I go to a local place and unless I want the same (admittedly good) burger, I have to roll with the punches and make a new order every time. Last time, it was DUCK CONFIT NACHOS. It worked, but there is no consistency with the menu and I also find that fairly rage-inducing.

>> No.6996077

OP if you're still lurking I can tell you this much: I fucking hate menus that don't have a designated section for prices

See how in the menu you've posted, the prices are in the same font and right next to the items?

These need to be labeled clearly. Some people usually go for the most expensive item on menus, others opt for the cheapest. Menus should be designed around this

>> No.6996092

I'm drunk and I can barely read these menus and it pisses me off.

I have a moderate tolerance for hipster, but if you can't even make clear what exactly you're serving you're a piece of shit who has no right serving food.

>> No.6996124

If they were deviled avocados instead of deviled eggs, they could've hit a meme trifecta.

>> No.6997844
File: 142 KB, 550x733, 1435542401039.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6993156
(watch me explain this without using the m-word.)

This entire thing just screams "look how up-to-date we are!"
There seems to be no cohesive unifying theme besides foods that were popular in the past few seasons of reality cooking shows and dishes you find at equally tryhard food trucks. (sriracha, cheese curd, pork belly, IPA) Culinarially speaking, they have nothing in common. I'm sure if I asked the chef if there was a theme, i'd get something akin to "upscale takes on old favorites" as an answer.
The "old favorite" parts is evedent. Burgers, mac and cheese, tacos. But the upscale part seems to only be reflected in a few ingredients that are (or were) common in fine dining establishments. (truffle, artichoke, aioli (which isn't even fancy, god damn,) not actually good preperation if >>6993177 is being honest.

Even the meal concepts themselves are trends, with Korean and Mexican street food recently gaining popularity, but that fucking mac and cheese is the biggest offender. Not only is it a ripoff of the "specialty variety" mac and cheese or pasta chains that have started to sprout up in the midwest, but only having one rotating special defeats the point. Just have a solid, simple mac if you're gonna have only one kind on the menu. (also, the specialty mac people need to understand that more stuff on mac is not a better mac. The best mac I had was a well-made regular kind, and the best specialty mac i've had just had some buffalo sauce in it and blue cheese in the top crumble. No bbq pork or bruschetta.)

I'd guess that this place is located somewere that trends reach a bit more slowly, especially judging by the prices. I'm right,>>6993187 but I wouldn't call this fylover. There are many places that only take from the most recent food trends with no thought to cohesion out west, and probably out east as well.

This will look as weird in the near future as a menu featuring timbales, tea sandwiches, and zucchini boats would today.