[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 62 KB, 640x434, Literally me.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6990940 No.6990940 [Reply] [Original]

How do I learn to cook /ck/ ? Do I just buy a cook book and roll with it ? Every meal I make just tastes like shit and I wouldn't give it to my enemy.

>> No.6990964

>>6990940
buy a stainless steel pan and try to caramelize onions. Repeat until you stop fucking up. Do a whole bag, do ten, and when you're mildly satisfied read up on sucs and deglazing and the five mother sauces.
Then you can move on to trying other stuff.

>> No.6990968

>>6990964

jesus christ this board is so fucking neckbearded

>> No.6990973

I staged in a French restaurant, had no clue how to cook at all before

once you can read recipes you gradually pick up on techniques and feel and stuff

it's kind of cumulative, throw yourself into it but obviously start simple, any retard can do it

>> No.6990974

>>6990968
if you can't make a pan sauce or understand what's happening and why it's important then why bother?
why wouldn't you start at the foundation?

>> No.6990975

>>6990940
look a recipe

try it a few times until you can do it well

rince and repeat

>> No.6990983

>>6990974

Yeah but you don't need mother sauces for baking, a ton of different cuisines etc.

It depends what you want to make

a mournais, bechamel etc. aren't even used that much

your onion comment was kind of retarded tbh since that AND pan sauces are pretty easy to make

>> No.6990999

>>6990974

because you're a normal fucking person who wants to eat what you want to eat, not a french culinary institute syllabus.

i mean, be honest. you didn't learn that way. and you wouldn't have if someone had told you to do that. you've probably made a sauce maltaise or a veal orloff. why fucking try to send other people down this road? do you think it makes you sound like an authority? it makes you sound like comic book guy channeling fernand point.

>> No.6991001

>>6990999

> you've probably made a sauce maltaise or a veal orloff

probably never*

>> No.6991006

>>6990983
yeah they are stupid easy but if op can't cook an onion then he has bigger issues, and mastering that skill will help with a lot of others.
if you can caramelize onions you're on the right track, I can't think of any better place to start. Any suggestions from you or are ya just gonna be snarky in the corner?

ps bakers need sauces too

>> No.6991011

>>6991001

you're pulling shit out of your ass

You know why?

You're listing "fancy" stuff you probably got out of the Art of French Cooking

stuff that you could do repeatedly and autistically since it requires quite a bit of mastery is like a French omelette or a perfect dice

mother sauces are NOT hard to do at all

>> No.6991012

>>6990999
>you didn't learn that way.
Yes I did. It wasn't about the sauces, it was about cooking an onion and figuring out what to do with the delicious stuff stuck to the pan. My comment was less about the mother sauces and more about cooking on stainless and deglazing.

>> No.6991016

>>6991006

>if you can caramelize onions you're on the right track, I can't think of any better place to start.

you are insane.

the guy just needs to start making tomato sauce for pasta and omelettes and shit. needs to make a stew. roast a bird. fumble around. you aren't a fucking culinary shaolin monk why even pretend with this wax on wax off bullshit

>> No.6991020

>>6991016
Ya and what's the first step in tomato sauce dummy
onions maybe?

>> No.6991036

>>6991020

it's so easy to do though, it's literally a non skill

>do a whole bag

what the fuck

OP just don't be a retard, rent a cookbook or a beginner book, use common sense and choose something not super hard and make it, you just have to keep doing it and you'll pick it up

>> No.6991040

>>6991011

it doesn't matter if they're hard to do, they're components with dated, autistic recipes and occasionally a bunch of ingredients that some neet on 4chan has no interest in procuring. OP is not making veal stock any time soon.

>You're listing "fancy" stuff you probably got out of the Art of French Cooking

you are the most pretentious motherfucker alive. my point is that learning to cook by progressing through a tome of french classics is like learning to write by reading the dictionary. unless you're specifically learning catering-related skills, you don't wanna do that shit, you just wanna learn to feed yourself. you can tell him about mounted butter sauces and remoulages and bouquets garni all you want, he's still gonna just end up making tomato sauce with pasta and eventually blow his own mind stewing meat for more than half an hour and find his way onto the right track eventually, without your help.

>> No.6991044

>>6991020

not caramelised onions, generally. certainly not ten aborted bags of them.

>> No.6991054

I started cooking by watching my mother and grandma, then I bought a cookbook and practiced.

>> No.6991058

>>6990940

Ok everyone here is going to tell you what you should do.

What you need to do is learn cooking times, measurements, and control of heat. When I say cooking times I dont mean "bake for 1 hour". Cooking times are your orders of operation. This will get you through any basic recipe. Moving beyond that you learn methods, techniques, and seasoning.

So rather than tell you exactly how you SHOULD cook like some assholes. How about you try explaining your last dish you cooked and how you went about it.

>> No.6991069
File: 1001 KB, 1228x813, 1438056722283.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6990999
>>6991012
classical is not practical, OP should focus on eating what he currently enjoys but try to remove anything processed from the equation. all the while improving his understanding of the chemistry processes he uses when cooking.

i read a cooking textbook awhile ago and the mother sauces werent really that important. most people will just make 4 sauces; beef based, fowl based(chicken/turkey), milk based, and tomato based. its a great primer to get into soups and what have you but 95% of it is useless info for joe six pack.

the classical order is roux>sauces>soups>entrees>desserts/baking

the practical order is whatever the fuck you enjoy eating.
>>6990940 OP you should torrent a cooking textbook and skim whatever you want to get better at eating.

>> No.6991105

>>6990940
Basically, cooking is just simply following instructions. If you can do what you're fucking told, you can cook to any given recipe.

Youtube is a fantastic resource for recipes which are mostly easy to copy.
Just search for stuff you like and there will be several videos of somebody cooking it, talking you through each step, and lists of all the ingredients and amounts.

>> No.6992329

>>6990940
Read recipes for whatever sounds good to make and follow them closely. Make sure you know how to use your oven, stove, appliances, etc. Over time you'll learn what seasonings work with what and how to make food you enjoy eating. Until you get the experience, just read the backs of them Betty Crocker boxes and stuff.

Mozart's first piece of music sucked, so he wrote more. Your first dishes sucked, so cook more.