[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 3 KB, 160x155, titty water.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6989829 No.6989829 [Reply] [Original]

Is there a noticeable difference in quality between "cheap" milk and expensive milk? At my grocery store, there's always the cheap store-brand milk for like $2. Then there is the Dean's or whatever for like $3. Then there's always a brand in a glass jug with lots of buzzwords all over it for like $6 a gallon.

Is it worth it to buy more expensive milk? I make more than enough money to afford it but I've just always gotten the cheapest store brand shit because I don't notice a difference

>> No.6989901

>>6989829
I used to always get the more expensive brand called Cravendale in the UK, supposedly it's filtered and pasteurised or some bullshit to make it taste better.
Recently I've just been buying the supermarket's own brand milk and it actually tastes better. Compared to it, the fancy milk doesn't taste milky, but more watery (I guess due to the filtration)

So it looks like there is no difference. However if you can get milk off one of those glass bottle delivery guys, that shit is delicious.

>> No.6989906

>>6989829
As a child, my parents couldn't tell the difference but for me the cheap store brands actually tasted better than the more expensive brand names. It may have changed recently with all the organic fags, but back then the cheap grocery store stuff was better because it was from the local farmers and the name brand stuff was shipped in

>> No.6989930

>>6989829
I can't tell for the USA, but in the country where I currently live (Spain), there is a huge difference between brands, but not really between prices. My all time favourite milk is the cheapest from one of the main supermarkets ( Leche Entera Hacendado del Mercadona), where as the expensive brands just don't taste as good. Then there are other cheap as fuck brands that are really bad, and others, also dirt cheap that taste really good.

My suggestion is, taste as many brands as you can and decide, independently of the price, which one you like the best. It could be the cheapest, the most expensive or one in between, but price, at least in my experience, is NOT at all linked to taste in milk.

>> No.6989936

>>6989829
>not milking your own cows

>> No.6989973

>>6989829
Yes. I've been drinking better-quality milk since I started living on my own, and whenever I go back home they always have the Walmart skim milk. I tried it. It's awful.

>> No.6989978

>>6989901
Fellow bong here . .. I don't buy Cravendale because I just thrown my milk in tea or coffee but infact Cravendale does noticeably taste better than cheaper brands, if I was drinking milk for milks sake, then I would probably go with Cravendale.

>> No.6989983

for me?
walmart brand is garbage. store brand is pretty ok to whatever, national brands are so so, the local brand is great, and the local Co-op is GOAT
they run a few I've cream stores/sandwich shops (meh) but their milk bar is perfect. All you can drink regular and rotating flavors

>> No.6990100

For milk, it depends on how it was made. For most supermarket milk, it usually tastes the same to me. If you find milk that has been pasteurized at a lower temperaturetemperature, it is markedly better. Currently, I have somin raw milk in the fridge from a farm down the road. Best goddamn milk I've ever had. One of the benefits of living in texas.

>> No.6990146

All I know is Shoprite whole milk sucks and Horizon and Stonyfield whole milks are god tier. We aren't chemists so all we can go on is taste and texture. You experiment and find the brands you like.

>> No.6990240
File: 42 KB, 560x408, ofltz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are you talking about.

Milk is milk. Just get pic related

>> No.6990463

>>6990240
BAGGED MILK? WHAT THE FUCK!!!!!!!!
HAHA MY SIDES LOL LMAO
ONLY ON THE INTERNET
8 UPTOKES FOR YOU SIR
EDIT: THANKS FOR THE GOLD KIND STRANGER

R I P INBOX XD

>> No.6990517

I think the difference is usually in other shit besides taste. I'm thinking sanitary practices and quality consistency.

For example, expensive milk is probably least likely to have that bit of stale/exposed milk at the top that can cause the bottle to smell like shit.

>> No.6990518

Milk prices in the UK are a joke.
Its cheaper than bottled water. I'd love to pay more to support the farmers that are getting screwed.
Fucking 89p for 4 pints!