[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 1.09 MB, 320x320, when a difficult shit becomes liquid.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6974296 No.6974296 [Reply] [Original]

hi i'm moving into a new place and am planning my finances and this is the amount I have to spend on groceries. I'm willing to spend time preparing food and cooking it and also spending time getting affordable products. I figure i'll be going for raw product in bulk but could use some guidance to how people have afforded shit in the past.

general food budgeting/healthy cheap food/ lifestyle alterations after living on your own thread,

>> No.6974343

Dude what do you like to eat - this is like asking for anime to watch without any background as to what you like

>> No.6974349
File: 280 KB, 1000x1897, 5665980.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dried beans
Lentils
Rice
Frozen veggies (if you're a single person or even a couple, buying fresh things like broccoli and zucchini are a waste because they will go bad with one person, or the off season. Now if they are in season at a farmer's market, go for fresh)
Frozen fish
onions
Potatoes
Carrots
garlic
Peppers
Whole grain noodles
Whole grain tortillas
Spinach
Cabbage (go for Asian because they have more nutrition, like Napa or Bok Choy)
For snacks get nuts
In season fruit
Lemons
Frozen chicken thighs (you can even find boneless. Still cheaper than breast)
Canned diced tomatoes
Tomato sauce
Tomato paste

Get your spices as you go, since they tend to be expensive. A little goes a long way

Pic is a bit outdated, but not too innacurate for cheap cooking.

>> No.6974352

>>6974296
rice/beans/potatoes
buy in bulk.
make these the staples of your meals, but everything else is to taste

>> No.6975042

LOTS OF CHICKEN
LOTS OF RICE
LOTS OF BEANS

>> No.6975078

whole chicken is dirt cheap

>buy once a week
>break down in 30 minutes max
>rice and chicken dinner for the week
>or whatever cheap bulk starch you go for

its good to be samey for meals in the beginning till you begin to learn how to manage ingredients so they dont go bad

>> No.6975497
File: 117 KB, 720x1280, Screenshot_2015-10-14-22-36-19.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6974296
I'm a poorfag like you OP, here's my shopping list

Essentially my meals amount to Mediterranean salad, pad thai or sandwiches made from those ingredients. I eat eggs too but it's not listed on there.

I say invest in a blender too, thats how I make my peanut butter, hummus and smoothies.

>> No.6975524

>>6974296
Buy whole chickens, brine them, and roast them. I usually do one every Sunday and the meat lasts me through the week. I buy organic or free range ones because they taste better. They cost about $9 a piece near me, but they taste leagues better than the cheapest shit ones. I also take the bones and make stock which lasts me throughout the next week to flavor my beans. I'm a poor college kid and I do $100 on food easily each month.

Also get into making your own alcohol and you can save even more money.