[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 87 KB, 620x386, xxx.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6973013 No.6973013 [Reply] [Original]

http://www.peta.org/living/food/two-week-vegan-meal-plan/

I'm gonna give this 2 week plan a go.

Some recipes seem pretty tasty.

Anyone has anything to say about them? Tips? Things to alter, or do different?

sorry for being vegan, pls no mad. i just want to cook

>> No.6973070

>>6973013
Rice, nuts vegs and fruit feggit. Be creative with 'em.

>> No.6973092

>>6973070
>be creative

i've been doing that for ages now. it just isn't that easy for me, and I enjoy recipes more.

>> No.6973106

>pls no mad

Uh-huh. Here's my advice: replace all the pretend shit with meat and dairy so that the food doesn't taste like sadness.

>> No.6973114

Try adding some meat to the recipes

>> No.6973117

>>6973106
>>6973114
>hey i like these oranges
>shut up faggot get apples

i get your points though.

next please.

>> No.6973182

Thanks for being vegan, but don't ride with PETA at all.
http://adaptt.org/animalrights.html
Read this site for some info about PETA and veganism.

Here are some vegan recipes
http://veganstreet.com/recipes.html

>> No.6973225
File: 152 KB, 1198x2048, received_10153181988679856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Op here just made this.

>> No.6973304

>>6973225
Would eat. Nice job OP
I would add to limit specialty meat and dairy replacement products on the whole. Veggie burgers can be fine but its easy enough to make your own patties and freze them. Some vegan chkn nuggets can be okay but I wouldn't recommend it all the time. Ice cream substitute made out of just blended frozen bananas tastes suprising good, if you use the same kind of over ripe bananas you'd use for banana breads.
I've had bad luck with egg replacements in anything that actually needs to be fluffy. More dense sweets can be fine.

>> No.6973311

>>6973182
Oh yeah, I agree. Don't duck with PETA OP. So many better organizations. PETA are just vegan members.

>> No.6973312

>>6973304
with substitutes and stuff like that, I find that I just make the same thing over and over, so I'd like to avoid it for a while.

UK doesn't have that easily accesible stuff either.
linda mccartney is probably the best lineup i found so far.
quorn has eggs.so i'd like to avoid that.

I'm managing, and have been for the past year, to keep as vegan as i can, just recently i've been getting bored of the same stuff over and over.

>> No.6973316

>>6973013
I didn't think doves ate meat anyway

>> No.6973317

>>6973311
i have seen peta being mentioned as not exactly as vegan as they play out to be.

i jsut wanted a already made vegan plan, and they are the ones that seemed to have exactly what i was looking for.

>> No.6973321

>>6973316
They do eat bugs, anon. They eat living things.

OH FUCK KILL ALL THE DOVES THEY MURDERERS

>> No.6973329

>>6973311
*memers
>>6973312
I'm not a hard liner with it. Even though I don't like the use of animals for any sort of product , I think being like 95% vegan is fine. It's about doing what's right for animals not being on a personal purity circle jerk. I think it's great if people can be vegan 100% but it doesn't have to be the goal for everyone.

>> No.6973355

>>6973329
nah i agree with you.
i'm by no means a preacher/shamer of meat eating individuals.

but it still feels good to celebrate something which I believe is the good thing to do.

>> No.6973364

>>6973316
Doves have a high prey drive and cause a lot of carnage at night, when they're most active. You ever see birds with their heads missing? Dead on the ground? Result of Doves.

>> No.6973423

>>6973321
Plants are living things, fungi are living things, bacteria are living things.
It's practically impossible not to eat bugs, they in all sorts of foods. And tons of insects get killed during food production, transport etc.
Just draw the line at vertebrates or tetrapods because those are the only life forms that really matter.

>> No.6973594

>Monday
Okay breakfast, shit lunch, shit dinner.

>Tuesday
Okay breakfast, okay lunch, okay dinner.

>Wednesday
Shit breakfast, shit lunch, shit dinner.

>Thursday
Okay breakfast, shit lunch, delicious dinner (if the brown gravy is meant to be mushroom gravy).

>Friday
Shit breakfast, okay lunch, shit dinner.

>Saturday
Delicious breakfast, delicious lunch. Can't say anything about dinner, though.

>Sunday
Meh brunch. Meh dinner.

I'm not vegan, but about a third of what I eat happens to be animal-product-free because of cultural norms I grew up with. At least half of my meals are ovo-lacto vegetarian, creeping up to about two-thirds or so.

I think if you eat meat, you really only need 100g or so of it daily. If you eat dairy and eggs but no meat, you need only about 150g or so of cooked bean-based foods daily. If you go vegan, you may need as much as 250g of bean-based foods daily.

Anyway, I don't like meat substitutes, personally, so all the dishes with vegan chicken or vegetarian tuna and the like as well as tofu where it doesn't belong (such as in western dishes), I rank poorly.

Since I rank Wednesday the worst overall, here's how I'd redo it:

sweet red bean paste on toast (also fruit) at breakfast
Burmese glass noodle salad with fried chickpea tofu and mixed veg at lunch
lentil fried tomato rice at dinner

Each is quite simple to make and not terribly time consuming when you consider cooking ahead of time and stashing in the fridge or freezer (such as the bean paste or tomato rice).

Would you like recipes?

>> No.6973653

>>6973225
I like that you use lots of mushrooms. The other day wacky stuff led me to getting a free 4lb can of mushrooms from a restaurant I work in. I always liked the things but I had no idea how versatile they were until I started substituting meat with them in a desperate attempt to make use of all these damn mushrooms.

Yesterday I bought a portabello, prepared it like a hamburger patty, grilled it and ate a burger of it with onions, jalapenos, tomato, lettuce and a little barbecue sauce. Good stuff, but I messed the texture up a bit.

I'm new to mushroom cooking so that's all I really have to offer.

Also thinking about it, worchestershire isn't exactly vegan. Nor is bread.

Surely there's a real vegan alternative to those there.

Good luck on your cooking adventures, OP!

>> No.6973660

>>6973423
Enjoy finding a whole octopus in your next candy bar

>> No.6973667

>>6973594
Not op but sounds interesting

>> No.6973675

>>6973660
Better than vegan takoyaki.

>> No.6973678

>>6973675
.... Yeah.

>> No.6973719 [DELETED] 

This garbage thread is allowed to stand but MGTOW or 5:2 threads get deleted.
fucking feminist vegan mod

>> No.6974857

>>6973364
>You ever see birds with their heads missing?

Where the hell do you live that you see this>

>> No.6975199
File: 177 KB, 500x375, 4634988936_c7bdd17d7e (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I think a little girl could beat him at boxing now

>> No.6975350

>>6973013
i don't like vegan crap, i think its ridiculous to try to alter your diet like that
but i also don't get a hot fuck what others do

the only thing, is 2 weeks long enough to see 'results' or what ever dumb reason you're doing this?

>> No.6975382
File: 498 KB, 480x300, 770YKLk.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made cashew cheese a few days ago.

The nutritional yeast gave me the hot poops.

It tasted good though.....

>> No.6976618

OP HERE BUMPING BECAUSE THIS GOT ATTENTION

>> No.6976642

>>6973594
Thanks for the thought out reply!
I'd love to see those recipes.
Especially the glass noodle and tofu one (i'm awful at preparing tofu)

>>6973653
>portobello mushroom
They are great for stuffing. and baking too but make sure to get rid of moisture from them, because they sweat quite a bit. Especially salted. mushrooms react by releasing moisture when salted.
Also
>like burgers
nigga pls :
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/portobello-mushrooms-grilled-like-a-steak-recipe.html

>>6975382
cashew cheese?
how does one make this?

Also, if you guys have any ideas for lunches at the office where I only have boiling water and microvawe . . .i'd really appreciate some ideas.

>> No.6977322
File: 113 KB, 1198x2048, received_10153183867869856.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I made more dinner by being creative

Bed of light salad with strips of carrot and beetroot olive oil and a dab of balsamic

Cooked gnocchi on top

Topped with garlic avocado, basil and coriander

R8 m8s

I like this messy presentation.

>> No.6977331

>>6973013
>Tofu

Enjoy your estrogen filled bitch tits

>> No.6977341

>>6977331
Op here.

I have bitch tits already.
They aren't too bad.

Nor really though. I don't have bitch tits

Don't spread exaggerated shit pls

>> No.6977363

>>6976642
>>6976618
Here's the recipes (red bean paste, glass noodle and chickpea tofu salad and lentil fried tomato rice) in three different posts because they're too much to put in one:

I cheat on the red bean paste.
I use 15oz/425g tins of kidney beans. It's supposed to be a specific type of bean called 'a ni yoon mat pe' which literally means "red-coloured mung bean." I think it's the same thing as Japanese azuki, just larger. The normal type of bean makes a strongly crimson paste because the beans are red even inside, unlike kidney beans, which have an interior that's a bit beige rather than at all red. If that bothers you and you use kidney beans as I do, you can add beetroot powder which has the double benefit of making it redder as well as adding another sort of sweetness. Or food dye, which only makes it red.

Anyway, if you use dry beans instead of tinned, soak them overnight in bicarb-spiked water then drain and boil in freshly drawn water until soft before continuing.

Mash or blitz beans up. If you don't lack patience, the traditional way is to pass them through a fine mesh to remove the grainy bits of particulate matter.
Cook paste in a wok or non-stick pan over low heat, flipping it about constantly, until not so liquidy.
Finally, whip in 1tbsp of coconut oil. Also, stir in a pinch of salt as well as freshly grated palm sugar, to taste. You can use white powdered sugar instead of palm, if you'd like.
Pour into a heat-proof pot/container and allow to cool before storing in the fridge.
That's it. Takes about 30 minutes.

>> No.6977367

>>6977341
Wrong, clinical studies have shown estrogen levels increasing in men, source:

a guy I know ate a tofu burger and woke up with triple D cup tits.

>> No.6977372

>>6977363
Cook a cup of chickpea flour, stirring constantly, in four cups of water and a pinch of salt until quite thick then pour out into a container and allow to cool, uncovered, until solidified. If you want, you can also add lots of good-quality turmeric powder to the chickpea flour. Be sure to get it from an Asian grocer because that stuff is tasty and unlike the stuff sold in western-style stores.
Stash in the fridge, covered, until cooled completely then remove from the container and slice into half cm thick slices.
Allow to dry on a baking sheet on the lowest rack of an oven set at its lowest setting with the door propped open.
Cool completely, then store in a jar in the fridge. Keeps like... six months and makes quite a lot of tofu slices.

Soak glass noodles in boiling water in a covered container, checking every 5 minutes or so until softened, then drain and rinse under cold, running water.
Drain again and dry thoroughly.
Toss with Burmese sesame oil (or use a 1:1 mix of toasted sesame oil and peanut or any other lite-flavoured oil) and tamarind or sour mango powder, to taste. It's also nice if you make shallot oil, which is lots of very thinly sliced shallots slow-caramelised in lots of Burmese sesame oil.
Add shredded Burmese roasted seaweed (or nori, if you can't find any), salt to taste and various julienned vegetables to your liking. Instead of salt, you can also add yellow bean paste (which is pretty similar to miso, but made from fava beans instead of soy) thinned with a little seaweed stock or water.
Deep-fry dried chickpea tofu slices in hot oil. They will puff almost immediately. Remove from the oil and add to the noodle salad. Toss to combine, then serve.

>> No.6977376

>>6977341
>exaggerated
ever see the majority of chink men?

>> No.6977381

>>6977372
>>6977363
More on the salads:
I can't find a video of glass noodle salad specifically, but here's one of a similar Burmese noodle salad to give you an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2c-DJLAZO0

Note, that when she says "crushed bean," she means chickpeas. Chickpeas and lentils form a heavy portion of Burmese diet. Dried chickpeas are roasted in the oven (or pan toasted, since most in Burma/Myanmar don't have ovens) and crushed in a mortar and pestle. Chickpeas are so central, that Burmese even re-cook boiled chickpeas in palm sugar syrup as a topping for ice cream sundaes or in layered ice desserts.

Anyway, back to the tofu: you can also just slice it and eat with chilli-garlic paste, tamarind sauce, shallot oil and chive blossoms, as a salad on its own. Another common chickpea tofu salad dressing is made from sweet soy sauce, black vinegar, sesame seeds or crushed peanuts, sesame oil, crispy shallots and coriander leaves, flaked chilli being optional.

And for the lentil fried tomato rice:

Cook rice by absorption method according to whatever quantity rice to water works for you. For me, it's 1 cup water to 2 cups rice. For some reason, for lots of people on /ck/, it's the opposite, 1 cup rice to 2 cups water. The only difference: instead of water, use tomato juice, adding 1tbsp of juice extra per cup. That is, if you use 1 cup water, use 1 cup + 1tbsp of tomato juice. Also, add dried minced onion.
Allow the rice to cool in a metal bowl in the fridge overnight, then break up the clumps into individual grains and store in a container.
To make the fried rice, heat a little cooking fat with some minced young ginger and garlic. Also chillies, if you like.
When fragrant, add some chopped or crushed tomato and firm-cooked lentils and stir-fry about a minute.
Add tomato rice and a little water and toss about to heat through and absorb.
Off the heat and stir cut coriander leaves and scallions into the rice and plate up. Salt to taste.

>> No.6977440

>>6977367
>>6977376
Shit. Sounds more serious than I first though...
I will re investigate

>>6977363
>>6977372
>>6977381
Will read through tomorrow.

Thanks for all your effort.
Gotta sleep now