[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 232 KB, 1024x768, Tuna-Noodle-Casserole-1024x768.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6970802 No.6970802 [Reply] [Original]

When did you realise you were a much better cook than your parents?

>> No.6970814

20-21

>> No.6970831
File: 44 KB, 670x440, kellenweb_t670.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6970802
tfw, Dad has 3 michelin stars.

>> No.6970835
File: 55 KB, 240x226, 1379707935249.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6970831
>tfw,

>> No.6970849

>>6970802

Neither one of my parents eat:

Vinegar
Cheese
Tomatoes
Pickled anything
Spiced anything except for paprika, dried minced onion, salt and pepper

So...I guess when I figured out how to open a can of soup and heat it on the stove top. Age 7 or so.

Odd thing is I went to Culinary School, they've never eaten a thing I've made. Didn't come to graduation because the smell of the campus "offended them".

I'm grateful my son isn't a picky eater like them.

>> No.6970859

>>6970849
>not eating cheese

Are you of Asian descent, anon?

>> No.6970884

When my dad microwaved a tuna steak because it was too red.

>> No.6970892

>>6970802
I'd say 18 when my mom stopped making things from scratch and went to pre-boxed or frozen food route. My dad worked as a chef for quite a few years, but once he left that industry he only made something during christmas or whatever (his from-scratch spiced egg rolls are the bomb). I like pre-made stuff sometimes, but 90% of the time I make it myself.

>> No.6970900

>>6970859

No, both of my parents are from Cork Ireland. Immigrants.

Oddest thing about it is both of my grandparents were mutton farmers and made sheep's milk cheeses. Neither one of them even tasted it according to my grandparents. The smell alone made them dry heave.

They're both over emotional drama queens.

>> No.6970901

>>6970802
my dad complimented my cooking and compared me to his chef friend when he was younger

>> No.6970946

I think the moment was when I started liking fish. Up until I was about 22 I hated fish. I then realized that I didn't hate fish, I hated the way my parents cooked fish. They were always done the same way, basically just pan fried in oil, no seasonings or anything. Always with this awful pickled cabbage salad that had apples and raw onions in it.

Thinking about the food I ate growing up I realize just how bad my parents always were at cooking. I ate a lot of frozen pizzas, hot dogs, chicken wings, frozen lasagnas... I was almost never served real homemade food, and when I was it was so bad that I often didn't eat it.

>> No.6970958

>>6970802
Probably sometime after age 18 when I took over most of the cooking in the house and realized my mom only ever learned the same five tired dishes that her mother learned to cook from a 1950s-era Kraft Foods cookbook or something.

>> No.6970965

>>6970900
Man, Ireland makes some bomb-ass cheese too.
I guess your parents really were made for each other then.

>> No.6970967

>>6970958
>learned to cook from a 1950s-era Kraft Foods cookbook

i feel like half of adulthood is an illusion that my parents managed to keep up really well

>> No.6970973

>>6970965

They grew up next-door to each other, their families have lived on the same parcels of land for over 500 years doing the exact same shit, raising crops and animals, making cheeses and selling milk.

Very large chance they're related, my Maternal Grandmother once told me that her first husband was her second cousin, and some weird shit about my Father's family as well.

I suppose everyone in the Britain is inbred to some degree, but yea... I suppose they were made for each other if you look at it from a purely culinary standpoint. I would prefer to remain willfully ignorant to the very likely outcome of me finding out I am inbred.

>> No.6970981

>>6970973
as long as you havent got 17 webbed toes and three nostrils, I think you're ok.

>> No.6970989

>>6970967
This is almost definitely true.

>> No.6970999

>>6970973
I think the harmful effects of being genetically interrelated only tend to come into play when you're first cousins or closer. Probably wouldn't want to continue doing that over the course of several generations, but still.

>> No.6971109

>>6970999
Even for first cousins, the chance of any genetic malformation is only increased around 2 or 3% (so around 5% up from the 2% of no genetic relation).
Of course, over many generations this could become an issue, but first cousins having kids is actually pretty common in some places/cultures and genetic irregularities aren't observed there any more than they are in 'normal' families.

>> No.6971213
File: 9 KB, 250x250, 1444774412914.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My dad regularly makes 'special homemade daddy's Lasagne' which he 'spices up' in ways he thinks are creative but are always retarded as fuck and taste horrible

for example he replaces cream sauce with actual whipping cream then when cooked covers the Lasagne in cherries before putting a cream white stain on one of the pasta sheets and saying ''a stain on a sheet is what you could have been son''. he calls it his ''sweet Lustagne'' on Valentines day

he also adds shit like chocolate, brown sugar, pizza slices, chips etc into the lasagne and ruins it every time. he also doesn't undersand spice.

>> No.6971231

when I realized that my mom never actually fried the onions after chopping them, she just skipped right to the next step.
she did this with every recipe.
I grew up thinking that onions are the devil's gift to mankind until I started cooking for myself.

>> No.6971242

>>6971213
your dad sounds like he's either mentally underage or just a sadistic bastard.

>> No.6971307

>>6971109
I guess that's why Faroese and Islanders don't seem dumb and inbred.
So why are American cousin-fucking hillbillies so goddamned stupid? Shitty genes to begin with?

>> No.6971329

>>6970802
when i was 8. i didn't know shit about cooking but i knew i could make better food than my mom.

>butter and margarine are the same thing
>im gonna cut the salt in half cause thats too much

>> No.6971343

There was very little food in the house since payday hadn't come around yet, and my father tried to pan-fry spinach leaves.
I both realized that I was a better cook and that he was an idiot.
I boiled an egg for the first time and realized my mother constantly overcooked them.

Yeah, not a high bar.

>> No.6971355

My mother has always been shit at cooking, so I learned how to cook for myself.

My father and his mother, on the other hand, both worked for the State Department building, and my grandmother is a former head of the building. They might be able to teach TV chefs some shit.

My dad's pot roast kick's my roast's ass all the way to the black neighborhood, where it gets jumped for not having gravy and giblets, then gets kicked all the way back home, then my dad's pot roast kicks its ass out to sea with the rest of the sewage.

My mother burns her potroast every single time.

So, one parent makes me feel like I could become a professional chef for a living, and the other makes me feel like they are a professional chef.

>> No.6971387

>>6970802
To make it easier of the family, I volunteered to make dinner every night. I didn't know how to cook that well, but I enjoyed doing it and my mom and dad always stressed out thinking about dinner, so I handled it.

My dad is literally
>Barely seasoned meat
>Canned vegetable for a side
>Some sort of Pasta Roni side dish
He'd also sometimes make shit like
>Calbasa and potatoes.
>Weird soup that had everything in it just boiled in water with some tomato sauce.

My mom always tried to be creative with dishes, which was hard because we all had certain foods we hated. But she would always make gross casseroles she read briefly online and would almost always not make enough.

>> No.6971398

>>6970946
You are making me question my dislike of fish

>> No.6971777

my parents are seriously so shit at cooking, I was too stupid to realize until I started cooking for myself around the time I graduated hs. they just fry whatever and abuse the shit out of salt on EVERYTHING

I made veggie stroganoff once and they were so impressed they thought I was a cooking prodigy

>> No.6971782

>>6970802
When they died. Dead people can't cook for shit.

>> No.6971786

>>6971307
>So why are American cousin-fucking hillbillies so goddamned stupid?
Because you buy into stereotypes.

>> No.6971821

For years, I never got to try duck meat, lamb, really anything more strongly flavored than beef or chicken since my dad had a bad experience with them and refused to ever try it again. I've long since stopped listening to his advice.

>> No.6971862

I thought my parents were bad cooks until I read this thread, honestly my only complaint is my mother always overcooked the protein
other than that I got classic americana growing up and apparently it was pretty good

like holy shit are your parents disabled?

>> No.6971876

>>6971862
Probably not. Lots of people are poor. Parents have to work a lot. Less inclined to cook fresh meals every night. Also it's just food, who gives a shit, better things to do, etc.

>> No.6971884

When my mom put orange juice into some beef stew because she was out of tomato paste.

She's not a terrible cook, but about 40% of the time her food is good or great (her pumpkin pies, cookies, liver and turkey are way better than mine) and 60% meh or shit that could have been good but she improvised.

She's always impressed my food is consistently okay.

>> No.6971887

>>6970802
if you think that tuna noodle casserole makes you a better cook than anyone else, then you are no good cook.

>> No.6971902

>>6970802
I am probably a better cook than my mother, my dad has been pushing up the daisies for over ten years but I don't think he was much of a cook at all. My stepfather though is amazing and I am in no way better than him.

>> No.6972015

>>6970946
The same is true for a lot of dishes as well.
A lot of us dislike for instance lasagna, because the premade kits tend to taste wrong.
Even if Lasagna or tomato soup or pots tastes amazing when made right

>> No.6972025

>>6971213
>covers the Lasagne in cherries before putting a cream white stain on one of the pasta sheets and saying ''a stain on a sheet is what you could have been son''. he calls it his ''sweet Lustagne'' on Valentines day

Your Dad sounds hilarious. Shame about the awful food though.

>> No.6972046

My dad is a decent cook but hes never done anything more complicated than a lasagna. My mom was a better cook unless it involved meat of any kind, in which case she cooked it until it was tough as leather. I don't consider myself a great cook but at least I can make chicken without it turning into jerky.

>> No.6972085

8, sadly.
I had to cook for my brothers.
My grandfather would say my aunt cant even boil water. I lived with her for a bit, it turned out to be true. She ate fastfood regularly, drive-thru all around her. Frozen tv meals in the freezer, and on occation, a well done steak.

>> No.6972108

When I realized I never topped a tuna casserole with potato chips, nor have I ever made a tuna casserole.

>> No.6972122

I'd say my mom is more experienced than I am but I'm more prone to experimenting with different recipes. She generally has a steady and easy repertoire she likes to go through and repeat and rarely tries something different, but when she does she's great.

She's the best cook in my entire family. Her parents and sisters are terrible cooks.

>> No.6972211

>>6971307
education doe

>> No.6973068
File: 77 KB, 621x621, vomit2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I see my life in many of these posts.

>mom
>make gravy from a store-bought powder
>dump powder in pot
>add water
mesuringcupsareforassholes.jpg
>go watch tv for half an hour

She never even stirred it once. It turned into nuclear orange gloop.

>> No.6973076

>>6973068
samefagging.

My parents are both horrible cooks. They barely even try.

at 17 I made pizza from scratch. Turned out OK.

I swear to fucking god my parents never cooked again. I'd come home after school and my mom would look at me expectantly and ask what's for dinner.

>> No.6973111
File: 36 KB, 500x278, 1558375_10153214024970681_5189516110091169478_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

what should I make for dinner /ck/? I'm hungry

>> No.6973181

>>6973111
How about a new thread?

>> No.6973242

My mom is an okay cook, always overcooks the protein but basically everything else is consistently average. Dump water from a can of green beans, put it in a pot with some bacon grease and butter, stir occasionally. Cook canned corn, add butter at the end. Leave protein cooking until the thermometer reads the correct temperature, then kill the heat and let it sit there for a few more minutes. Same thing that my grandmother does honestly.

I think my dad can, but just chooses not to. If Mom doesn't come home he'll instant potatoes from the pantry and mix in some canned corn ("Ate it every day when I came home from school!") or he'll throw a pizza in the oven. Really the only thing I've seen him do is scramble eggs, fry bologna, and he'll throw together breakfast casserole occasionally. One time he tried to cook some of those instant pancake things and he burnt about half of them until he figured out you can flip them sooner and you only have to flip them once.

I started cooking my own dinner sometime last year (I'm 20 now) because I wanted to lose weight, so just chicken breasts and occasionally burgers, so they started acting all offended that I didn't eat what my mother cooked. One time when I was sick I just decided to eat whatever my mother fixed, my dad asked why I wasn't "too good to eat dinner with them" that night. That's about the time I decided that my parents had the tendency to be super passive aggressive.

One time I was home between classes and they came in for lunch, and saw me trying to cook Hollandaise for the first time. Now I'm "Master Chef" and they ask me what I'm cooking them for dinner.

>> No.6974102

>>6970802
Not sure if I could pinpoint when exactly, but I've definitely become more aware of the fact over these past few weeks.

I've started cooking dinner for the whole family recently, as opposed to just lunch for myself.

I've come to somewhat appreciate how difficult it can be to cook for my family - Dad won't eat carrots, tomatoes, gravy, anything spicy, any steak below Well Done, and much more. My brother won't eat onions, bell peppers and mushrooms, among other things. I can't eat beans, corn, or anything with skins on or lots of fiber due to Crohn's.
My Mother usually does the cooking, and almost every time she does, Dad & my brother will be vocal about how bad it is, and we'll all give her constructive advice on how to make it better, which she ignores. There have been periods where dinner was constantly Lasagne every single day for about 2 months. She's almost incapable of anything beyond crockpot crap, or putting ready meals into an oven.

Yesterday I did a Slow Cooker recipe and everyone loved it. Rave reviews all round. Every time my mother uses the slow cooker, Dad & my brother tell her to never use it again.

It's not the moment when you know yourself that you're a better cook than your parents, It's the moment that they say "This is better than anything I could ever cook".

>> No.6974126
File: 42 KB, 920x613, tapir (7).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6970884

>> No.6974135

>>6970849
>parents don't come to own child's graduation

Wow. Sorry you have such shit tier parents, anon.

>> No.6974165

>>6970900
Hmmmmm, it could be from growing up around sheep and their pungent scent.
I grew up on a ranch, and we raised goats, sheep, cattle, pigs, chickens, donkeys, llamas, and peacocks. I can't stand the taste or smell of goat cheese, and I've known other goat ranchers who can't stand it either, because goat cheese tastes much like goats smell, and it makes me think of billy goats, who literally pee on themselves to make them smell stronger than the competition. Plus their fucking musk glands.
I can eat hard sheep cheeses, because they don't have such a strong odor, but soft sheeps cheese exacts the same reaction, I'm sure due to the musky and lanolin scents of sheep.
Cows milk cheeses don't bother me though, for some reason. Cows don't have that musky smell, they actually smell pretty pleasant when they're not dirty from walking through mud or something like that, or have been pooping everywhere.. Newborn calves smell adorable, much like human infants have that sweet smell.

>> No.6974198

They keep saying that today's adults will die sooner than the older generations. This is partly because our parents don't know how to cook.

This thread makes be feel better because I no longer feel alone.

>> No.6974219

>>6974102
I hope you're below 20 years old

>> No.6974250
File: 47 KB, 600x600, 콘치즈.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6974263

My parents are insanely good cooks and I still have to work to keep up with them. I'm always in the shadow of my father's barbecue.

>> No.6974806

tfw mom stopped cooking real food in 2011 after she left her boyfriend of seven years

that's when I knew
it's been frozen and prepackaged stuff for years on end

I got into cooking about a year ago now

>> No.6974811

>>6974806
oh yeah holy shit

the other day I brought up (again) that country crock wasn't butter to her
"why would you even want real butter? why would you cook with real butter?"

>> No.6974812

>>6974263
Jack Jr.?

>> No.6974971

>>6971307
Probably partly because all the smart people move away to the cities.

>> No.6975066

>>6973242
Maybe they're right and you should be cooking for the whole family rather than just yourself.

>> No.6975517

When I followed basic fucking recipes online and learned to cook on my own.

My mom is the one who cooks in the house and she is god awful at times. Since we're spics, she cooks mexican cuisine but it never comes out right. The only thing she knows how to make well is Birria and spanish rice and boy do I love Birria.

>> No.6975557

>>6970802
lol at all these poor fuckers in this thread

My dad is an amazing chef, could make any dish from any culture. Seriously, he could run kitchens if he wanted to, but he's content at his current job.

My mom almost burned down the house while barbecuing, enough said

I think I'm somewhere in the middle

>> No.6975575

My mom's not a terrible cook, just plain one.

She's worked as a line cook and could always work a range well. I still struggle perfecting the crisp/soft ratio on fried potatoes whereas its easy for her. I also just hate most things that involve high heat frying and get stressed cooking on the fly.

Her repertoire and flavor profiles are limited to say the least, and she can't use an oven for more than a casserole. I definitely can out bake her as well as have a wider range of dishes.

I am more of a pastryfag.

>> No.6975581

>>6970831
>tfw when my dad has only two

He still cooks like the gods tbh

>> No.6975596
File: 274 KB, 619x675, low-bandwidth (160).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, my mom is probably still better at cooking than I am. She grew up in the '30s and had to cook in a boarding house as a child and teen. And my dad didn't cook because, well, he's a man and he worked for a living. No real man has time for faggotty-ass shit like cooking. May as well asked how well he hemmed pants (SPOILER, He never did that either)

>> No.6975908

I knew my mom sucked at cooking and that my dad was pretty basic but I didn't realize how easy good cooking was until I moved out. Like how are my parents possibly that bad at it?

>> No.6975939

>>6975596
Nice bait