[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 547 KB, 500x470, BIB-white-profile.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6967172 No.6967172 [Reply] [Original]

Is Michelin stars over rated?

>> No.6967175

>>6967172
Habanero daredevil loaded grillers

>> No.6967176

>>6967172
>is history overrated?

>> No.6967178

>>6967172
>is
>are

>> No.6967194

Yes. It's honestly more political now than anything.
Are you:
>a pretentious molecular gastronomy restaurant? Michelin star
>pretentious French restaurant? Michelin star
>pretentious weeb sushi joint? 3 MICHELIN STARS

It's kind of a joke tbh. Just because a place has a Michelin star doesn't mean that it is amazing. And if a restaurant doesn't have a Michelin star, that doesn't mean that it doesn't put out food that is better than some that do have one

>> No.6967225

>>6967194
has clearly never been to a Michelin star restaurant

>> No.6967259

>>6967194
Why are you here, this board concerns food and cooking?

>> No.6967267

>>6967225
I have, actually. I have been fortunate enough to visit two Michelin starred restaurants. I have been to Alinea (which was a horrible experience that I don't recommend to anyone) with my girlfriend's rich parents and I also went to All Spice in San Francisco not long ago.

Going to a Michelin starred restaurant is an exciting experience that I recommend everyone try to do at least once.That said, just because a restaurant has a Michelin star doesn't mean that it is immune from criticism. In the case of Alinea, the entire experience was rich in pretentiousness. From the chef's bloated ego to the pompous wait staff, I was uncomfortable the entire time.

I have been to many restaurants that were better than the Michelin starred ones I have been to. And it is a well known fact that the Michelin guide is extremely biased when it comes to sushi places. All you have to do to get a Michelin star at a sushi joint is have extremely pretentious dining atmosphere and charge hundreds of dollars for raw fish

>> No.6967269

>>6967259
>offers an opinion that many places aren't deserving of their Michelin star and that a restaurant doesn't need one to be great
>hurrrr get out of here faggot fuck you
Why do you worship these rich fucks who don't give a damn about you?

>> No.6967271

>>6967175
BIG MAC

>> No.6967282
File: 21 KB, 224x224, 1403236664347.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Kinda funny how these kinda threads are literally always started by Americans.

>> No.6967284

>>6967269
perhaps he is a rich fuck?

>> No.6967288

>>6967282
>Americans started this thread
>has literally nothing to do with literally anything posted in the thread

Fucking yuropoors

>> No.6967292

>>6967194
It's weird how some of you still don't understand. It's not just the food. It's the presentation, the atmosphere. Also, you go in turning up your nose and saying "yeah right michelin star we'll see about that" of course you won't be as impressed.

>> No.6967296
File: 25 KB, 500x333, 1441542203580.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6967288
>he literally hasn't read between the lines

>> No.6967297

>>6967225
post-purchase self justification in action

>> No.6967298

>>6967282
Can you not go one day without talking about Americans? Yuropoors are insecure as fuck.

>> No.6967302

>>6967296
>he thinks there's lines to be read in between

>> No.6967303
File: 66 KB, 468x447, big_hat_guy2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6967298
>implying I'm european

>> No.6967311

>>6967284
Perhaps. But most of the people I've seen worshiping Michelin restaurants and getting pissed off at any and all criticism also can't afford to go to them. They praise these chefs as if they were their own parents or something. The only people I've met who actually offer criticism for Michelin restaurants are those that DO have the money to regularly go to them.
>>6967292
>muh art
>muh money
As I said, I've been to Michelin restaurants. Yes, the presentation is nice and so is the atmosphere. But I have also been to hundreds of other restaurants that have beautiful plating and atmosphere. And in the case of Alinea, I actually did NOT find the atmosphere in any way welcoming or warm. It was cold, and pretentious

>> No.6967314

>>6967194
you know run down noodle shops in china have michelin stars right?

>> No.6967355

everytime i read something related to my country on the internet, it's either shit or overrated

since i can't eat a tire, it's probably overated just like our cuisine

>> No.6967400

>>6967172
Depends on what you take that rating to mean.

Michelin bases their rating on a very bourgeois set of expectations when it comes to the food, the service and the wine list. Those expectations may not line up with your own, and if they don't dropping money on a Michelin starred place is likely to be a waste of your time and money.

A Michelin star means this place is likely to please someone with bourgeois expectations who eats out often at expensive places. Three stars means it will impress such a person.

It's the Bib Gournamd recommendations that are more of a crap shoot. Those pretty much mean "We stumbled across this cheaper place, and it did OK when compared to the kind of standards we'd hold a more expensive place to." What that fails to account for is the restaurant right next door with better food for better prices that they failed to even consider because the look of it didn't live up to their bourgeois standards.

>> No.6967592

Chef Pierre white thinks so. Gave his back. Based as Fuck.

>> No.6969032

>>6967172
I love that face.

>"Shh, let's not let this rape turn into a murder..."

>> No.6970526

>>6967592
He's just another sell-out tbh.

>> No.6970592

>>6970526
Yeah be is, but at the same time when you're as renowned as he is, it's pretty cool he told Michelin to go Fuck themselves and he was able to make easy money with some easy demos. Why the hell not? He's enjoying the good life and he can have 3 star food anytime be steps into his kitchen.

>> No.6970608

ehh it doesn't work like they were supposed to. Now any city can have top tier restaurants because anyone can get the knowhow.

Used to be that one star meant if it was within ur city you have to go

two was region/province/state you go

three was national/international u have to go

Now they throw em around, when japan was allowed stars they got like 60 at once.

But it's still better than urbanspoon tier judging, michelin takes the whole experience into account from comfort and atmosphere, sommelier, attitude of staff, adherence to rules and norms and the actual food. It's a bit biased towards expensive dining but even a really great hole in the wall place could make it if they had the same quality across the board.

The material/fabric of the seats is as important as the material/ingredients in the food. If one thing is amiss you won't get in and that's the point. You can be sure anything with a star will cater to your rich needs of comfort, lack of poor people etc

>> No.6970662

Ive dined in michelin star places in London, and michelin star places in the smaller UK cities. In my experience, a 1 star restaurant in London is typically significantly better than a 1 star place in a different part of the UK. I get the impression that michelin give a few out around the country to make it look like they travel far and wide. But the competition is so much more in London that it seems much harder to get single star.

There are many excellent restaurants that dont have stars, and some shitty ones that do. However, Im pretty happy to use the stars as a fairly reliable guide for what to expect when dining in London.

One stand out place that I thought didnt deserve its two stars was Le Gavroche. Its been around forever, serves french food and run by the Roux family. Cleraly all things that michelin love. However, it was a completely forgettable experience.