[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 370 KB, 675x900, 1443904671296[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6939425 No.6939425 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /ck/

I've been lifting for a year and made some decent gains but I'm still not happy with the mass I put on.

I've been vegetarian my entire life (due to being raised a Hindu). Has anyone here been vegetarian for their life and transitioned to eating meat? Or gone for long stretches as a vegetarian and switched back to eating meat?

Are there any health risks as a life-long vegetarian to eating meat? I don't want to get sick and I read about gut flora being different for vegetarians. I am also concerned about the cleanliness of meat since it seems so dirty to me from my perspective but I am ready to change...

What meat would you consider is the most clean, healthy, and a good first time meat for a vegetarian? I am not religious anymore, and want to get stronger and also experience the different types of cuisine in the world.

>> No.6939434

Probably the main thing is learning how to avoid cross contamination in your kitchen, since it's most common with meat especially the kind of CAFO garbage that most amerilards eat.

I eat very little meat and every time I do I'm amazed at how much I have to clean just to make sure I don't get diarrhea. You take it for granted when you're cooking meat every day, but when you switch out, it's like a great burden is lifted.

Carnists will now jump down my throat and call me names, predictably. Don't listen to them as they have no experience going meat-free.

>> No.6939444

>>6939434
OP is asking for the opposite you moron

>> No.6939452

>>6939425
your gall bladder is slightly smaller because it never had to deal with greasy greasy food like meat. (gall is made by the liver to break down triglycerides so they can be digested) Don't eat a steak for your first meal because you'll shit the entire thing out along with the rest of the water in your body.

Start with something very very lean, like chicken breast, lean ground beef, fish what have you.

PS meat is very nutrient dense so you should use it as an accent as much as possible or you'll gain weight fast (read: not just muscle)

>> No.6939473

>>6939444
Don't be too hard on him, his brain is critically malnourished.

>> No.6939474
File: 1 KB, 86x90, bait.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6939434

>> No.6939487
File: 94 KB, 487x427, ngbbs4cc498f9b20b2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6939444
The opposite of avoiding cross contamination? I guess that would be getting cross contamination. Something that happens in a carnist kitchen, if you are not careful.
>>6939473
>if I don't eat Real Bacon Bits I'll get malnutrition

>> No.6939497

Op I suggest you try chicken broth first. Then move up to boneless, skinless chicken breast.

>> No.6939499
File: 25 KB, 480x360, bait going all out.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6939487

>> No.6939508

>>6939425

>Are there any health risks as a life-long vegetarian to eating meat?

Just the health risks that come with eating meat (heart disease, cancer, hypertension, alzheimers, etc)

>> No.6939512

>>6939425
That image... doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

>>6939434
I eat meat most days and only do a proper washing up every week and a half because I'm lazy. I just give whatever I need to use on the night a quick wipe down with water and detergent, rinse it, and I'm good to go. Takes twenty seconds. I haven't had food poisoning for years, and the time I did get it wasn't from food that I had prepared.

But OP's immune system may be less used to salmonella, so perhaps he does need to be more careful. It does transfer to vegetables via manure and eggshells via the chicken's poophole, but doesn't prosper so magnificently as it does on meat.

>> No.6939543

>>6939487
Do you like digging yourself deeper down holes?

>> No.6939564

>>6939425
Don't do it man, meat is disgusting. You'll have it once and then feel regret for ruining a life-long no-meat streak.

>> No.6939575

>>6939564
Exactly how I felt when I had sex when I was 29. Almost a wizard. Wasn't worth it. Never again.

>> No.6939614

Start with fish and then chicken

>> No.6939618

As everyone else has already stated, eat neutral flavored meats like chicken or fish with little fat on them or risk having your intestinal tract blown the FUCK out

>> No.6939637

>>6939618
>>6939614
>>6939497
>>6939452
Don't listen to these guys OP. You need to get eating meat as quick as you possibly can. I recommend you have a McGangbang for your first meat dish.

>> No.6939642

POO IN LOO
O
O

I
N

L
O
O

>> No.6939662

>>6939642
DESIGNATED

>> No.6939671 [DELETED] 

>>6939543
You clearly don't know what "hole" means.

>> No.6939679 [DELETED] 

I dunno what your deal is op, but whey protein shits all over meat in terms of gainz giving ability

Add a little creatine and all your need at that point is vegetables, lots and lots of vegetables. The more colorful the better.

It's one thing to eat meat for the taste but if you're not making gains you should re-evaluate your training program. Maybe you're not getting enough rest? Drinking too much alcohol? These are common noob mistakes.

>> No.6939685

>>6939679
Yeah I had no problems making gains as a vegetarian. I just ate a lot of eggs and drank a lot of protein shakes.

OP probably just has manlet Indian genes.

>> No.6939846
File: 58 KB, 320x240, 8912-5459.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6939564
>-long no-meat streak.
This is honestly what keeps vegetarians from having the occasional burger.
Do you really think anyone gives a fuck?
Is like you think you are building equity somehow.

>> No.6939894

If the guys Indian I don't really think he'll have a problem handling greasy food so doesn't need to start with broth or breast lol. Meat is a lot easier to digest than a lot of veggies and you don't need to train your body to adapt to it. The biggest concern is undercooked meat giving him some sort of illness. Which is easily avoidable. So if he wants to start eating meat having a cheeseburger won't be any different to having a chicken breast and kale salad and the former will be much tastier.

That said if I were a long term vegetarian like you I'd give a lifestyle change like this some more thought. Religion has nothing to do with vegetarianism it's an ethical choice first and foremost and a health choice secondly. I wouldn't get blood on my hands for gains. Just eat more calorie dense food and have a protein shake if need be. Indian food already has a lot of good protein sources like yogurt and lentils. You're going to be spending more once you start eating meat anyway so at least try to spend more on vegetarian sources before you jump ship. As for eating meat to experience more cuisines it's something I can get behind more. Since you don't need to eat meat every day to do so. Just when a dish you don't want to pass up on appears in front of you

>> No.6939908

>>6939894
My buddy's in the peace corps. Just came back from Africa for a vacation. In Cameroon, he was almost vegan, out of necessity. There simply was no meat available. First thing he ate when he got back to the states was a bacon jalapeno cheeseburger. Spent the next 4 days in agony as his gallbladder tried to get used to grease and fat again.
Now, there's no lasting damage from jumping right in, it's just really painful.

>> No.6939945
File: 275 KB, 812x690, i-love-your-blog-award.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6939425
no one cares.

>> No.6939993

>>6939894
Yeah dude I'd like to see your citation for not having to prepare to take meat again. A cheeseburger is absolutely not the same as having a chicken breast, in that the chicken breast probably isn't going to give him explosive shits, whereas the cheeseburger most likely will. Especially if he's never had red meat in his life.

I have experience with this, trust me.

>> No.6939996

>>6939846
No, what keeps us from eating random cheeseburgers is we have self control and conviction.

>> No.6940173
File: 200 KB, 287x656, Mandom.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I shat myself for a good 2 days
After I stopped eating meat for a year.

>> No.6940192

>>6939425
>Are there any health risks as a life-long vegetarian to eating meat?
Not really. Start small, though - your body isn't used to meat.

Begin with stuff as chicken risotto, beans with some bacon, you know, mostly veggies with just bits of meat. Get used to this stuff, then go back to eating your steaks.

>> No.6940227

>>6940192
It's not the protein you have to be careful of, it's the grease and fat. You can start right off with steak as long as you get the leanest cuts of meat you can find.

>> No.6940245

>>6940227
Fat isn't any more of a problem than meat, do you think Indian food doesn't use fats for anything?

Just don't try to hork down a 24 oz porterhouse after a lifetime of no meat, and you're good. I don't know why carnists get the idea that the only possible way to have a relationship with animal flesh is wretched excess.

>> No.6940248

I read a thing once of some guy living to be like 107 or some crazy age in like the 16 or 1700s by eating steak and potatoes every single day. The king was impressed and invited him to the castle for dinner and served him all this fancy high fat stuff like goose and whatever and a day or two later the guy died because it was too much of a shock to his system. Just be safe OP.

>> No.6940281

>>6940245
Fat IS a problem though if you've had a vegan diet all your life. Even just a year of it will alter the way your gallbladder works.
It's not a dangerous problem, it'll just hurt while your gallbladder gets used to working much harder.

It's a problem in that you'll be uncomfortable for a few days, not that you'll end up in the hospital.

>> No.6940347

>>6940281
>vegan diet
>Hinduism
Why the fuck does /ck/ have such a hard time telling the difference between vegan and vegetarian?

Was your mother a heavy drinker before she finally decided not to abort you?