[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 851 B, 567x340, Ethanol-structure.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6849855 No.6849855 [Reply] [Original]

Why is society so focused on alcohol? Why do people act surprised when you tell them you don't drink? And why do they get even more surprised when you tell them it's not because of health problems, but just because you don't like the taste?
I don't mean to sound preachy or self-righteous to anyone who likes drinking, but why do people generally assume a male by default drinks alcohol?

>> No.6849858

>>6849855
>Why is society so focused on meat? Why do people act surprised when you tell them you don't eat meat? And why do they get even more surprised when you tell them it's not because of health problems, but just because you don't like the taste?
>I don't mean to sound preachy or self-righteous to anyone who likes eating meat, but why do people generally assume a male by default eats meat?

>> No.6849861
File: 68 KB, 500x293, 1438304610883.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6849858

>> No.6849862

>>6849858
Humans evolved to eat meat.
Not eating neat is unnatural.
Why fight nature?

>> No.6849863

>>6849858
Well, that's a point but I don't think anyone has a problem with vegetarians that just live their life their own way, people don't like vegans that try to push their no-meat lifestyle on other people.

>> No.6849864

>>6849855
I didn't until I was 21.
Even now I only have at most one beer a night.
Just stick to not drinking, if you're not smart about it, it'll ruin your life.

>> No.6849866

people don't act *that* surprised dude.

if you don't like the taste it means you didn't acquire it which means you didn't drink much growing up. it says things about you socially. doesn't prohibit you from anything but it is unusual. teenagers like to get fucked up to abrogate the growing weight of responsibility on their shoulders and to lubricate all the sloppy social interactions they want to experience before they're 18.

>> No.6849869

>>6849864
My lack of desire to drink alcohol is mostly fueled by two things: I don't like the taste at all and I have fairly unpleasant childhood memories of my drunken father/grandparents that left me with a disdain to the idea of ever losing control of myself.
I tried tasting beer, vodka, red wine and didn't like the taste of either. The only alcoholic drink I ever felt sort of comfortable with was Bailey's. And even then I'd rather add a few spoons of that to tea/coffee than drink it by itself.

>> No.6849884
File: 600 KB, 2036x1055, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6849858
Come over for breakfast.
I'll cure you.

>> No.6849893

>>6849863
No, I have a vegan brother and have observed that many people get totally triggered the moment they discover somebody is vegetarian or especially vegan no matter how discretely the vegetarian or vegan goes about it.

>> No.6849908

>>6849855
I've found that in general, there are two kinds of people who don't like the taste of alcohol: plebs who are drunkards, and are proud that they "can handle" it, and plebs who are teetotallers, who are proud that they hate it.

In both cases, they tend to be picky eaters who eat a lot of junk food. I'm fairly sure, although I haven't looked into it that closely, that these people simply hate alcohol because they're drinking the same level of shit beverages as their shit quality food, it's just that they'll die if they don't eat food, whereas alcohol is not necessary for survival.

>> No.6849943

>>6849855
In the absence of arranged marriage, alcohol is required for flirting.

It also frees unattractive people from their own unrealistically high sexual standards through the magic of beer goggles.

It allows clusters of bros to shout and slap each other on the back and generally blow off steam in a society that no longer has any use for them as beasts of burden, coal miners, or pyramid builders.

Lacking wars, chaingangs, and direct involvement in team sports, their celibacy becomes almost unbearable, and they have to blow their libidinal wad somehow. One British bro complained about a guy he knew who only hung out with his dates, and proclaimed his loyalty to getting "wankered up" (notice the Freudian slip) with the lads. Alcohol allows celibate lads to monkey around idiotically without feeling like idiots, and the balance is restored till next Friday evening.

>> No.6849945
File: 835 KB, 280x189, 1374527978428.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>really quite enjoy various alcoholic beverages
>hate being drunk socially
>just tell people I don't drink
>drink alone instead
Anyone else?

>> No.6849946

op, once you make friends who aren't teenagers, they won't be surprised if you don't drink alcohol.

>> No.6849957

>>6849946
Hate to spoil your fun, but people are still surprised. They just suppress the panic because they are adults, but then they go crazy wondering whether you're a recovering alcoholic, or a muslim, or a mormon. Because if none of those three are true, then that simply means you are not trustworthy and they want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Hope you learned something today.

>> No.6849967

>>6849957
>>6849946
oh sorry I forgot pregnant, but everyone on the internet is assumed to be male unless otherwise indicated, so there.

>> No.6849998

>>6849869
>I didn't like the taste
are you a child? do you not like the taste of broccoli either? do you only eat chicken tenders?

>> No.6850015

>>6849884
wtf is that black circle shit????

>> No.6850044

>>6850015
looks like full English so black pudding I suppose...

>> No.6850055

>>6849998
What the fuck? Do you get upset when people don't like the same things as you or something? If you don't like something, no one is forcing you to have it.

>> No.6850070
File: 30 KB, 304x298, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6850044
I just checked google.
Do people really eat that shit? It's literally pigs blood, fat and barley???

>> No.6850073

people assume everyone drinks because:

>it is an easily acquired taste that many people enjoy
>the effect is mild and quite agreeable

>> No.6850074

>>6850055
no, but whenever I hear someone say "I don't like the taste" with respect to alcohol I know they're just a childish person and probably a very picky eater as well

>> No.6850075

>>6849855
As far as why so much of society is focused on alcohol I have a few theories. One being its always been around. Beer being pretty much liquid bread and clean to drink was pretty important thousands of years ago. Then couple that with that fact that ethanol was easy to make and made you feel great, and worked as a great painkiller, kinda cemented it as being a necessity for most. In this day in age I think its a mixture or it being A; The most easily accessible and legal intoxicant for much of the worlds population and B; It still is ingrained into so much of the social construct and rights of passage because it has been around forever. I am kinda reminded about the Japanese working man construct. One works all day then goes out after work with ones superiors and is expected to drink and party hard, but just hard enough to show you can conduct yourself properly and then still show up to work the following day. I cannot recall how many times in the biz the same kind of thing has happened to me. You work all day and get your ass kicked in during rush. then you close and go out with the crew and drink like frat kids, then show up ready for the next round the following day. A good deal of people do this a lot, and might be a bit surprised when you do not. That's all I suppose.

>> No.6850076

>>6850055
Thinking less of people who are inferior to you is a finely honed 4chan tradition

>> No.6850093

>>6850055

getting upset =/= judging you

>If you don't like something, no one is forcing you to have it.

you grow up with your parents coercing or at least encouraging you to keep trying things you don't initially like. it's a grown up thing to do.

>> No.6850109

>>6850055
Speaking as the jaundiced author of:
>>6849943
There's really no excuse to not at least tolerate one form of alcohol. It's a natural step in educating your palate.
I recommend cider and white wine to start you off. There's no need to enjoy getting drunk to enjoy alcoholic drinks.

>> No.6850132

alcohol and its use are ingrained into this society from ages and ages ago because of its various uses like
>>6850075
explains
getting rid of it or reducing its use would require a big shift in the societal norm
like coca chewing for andeans, it's something that has always been around and means a lot to people, allowing them to get blitzed and relax or fuck or party and probably still be able to function the next day

>> No.6850136

>>6849855
Society has a huge case of "Stop liking what I don't like".

>> No.6850139
File: 2.51 MB, 3920x2204, 1441464734438662418925.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not saying you need to get on that shit or that I don't trust people who don't drink.

But you need to get on that shit and I don't trust you.

>> No.6850141

>>6849893
That's because vegetarians and vegans are subhuman homunculi.

>> No.6850149

>>6849884
Not OP, but can I come too? I'll scoff some fucking pudding. Can't get that delicious shit in the mainland.

>> No.6850150

>>6850070
It's cow blood you mong.

And it's delish.

>> No.6850163

It's the only socially acceptable way for a group of people to get fucked up and let their guards down. Being the guy who doesn't drink is the modern day equivalent of bringing your sword to the viking feast table.

>> No.6850185
File: 83 KB, 509x533, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6850150
You're a fucking idiot, son.

>> No.6850189

>>6849855
Social drinking dates back almost 5000 years ago

>> No.6850197

>>6850150
>cow's blood
Retard. Why are you here? You clearly know fuck all.

>> No.6850212

>>6849862
This.

Humans did not evolve to drink alcohol.
Drinking alcohol is not natural, it's literally all culture based.

>> No.6850214

>>6850212
>evolution stopped exactly 400,000 years ago

heh

>> No.6850226

>>6850214
>implying evolution is real
kuk

>> No.6850272

>>6850212
explain why the alcohol dehydrogenase enzyme exists then.

>> No.6850319

>>6850015
yo mama

>> No.6850324

>>6850109
Theres also no reason to tolerate it.

>> No.6850333
File: 7 KB, 640x246, 640px-Ethanol-2D-skeletal.svg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6849855
>Using lewis structure instead of skeletal for organic molecules like a fucking pleb

>> No.6850342

>>6849957
>panic
>they go crazy
>then that simply means you are not trustworthy

What kind of shit people do you hang around with? I know tons of people that are entirely sober for all kinds of reasons.

>Hope you learned something today.

Only that you hang out with insane people.

>>6849967
>everyone on the internet

Wait a second, are the people you are talking about entirely from the internet? Because that would explain a lot. Why would someone have to assume you are not female unless you never see them face to face?

>> No.6850394

>>6850197
We'd make it at home with cow's blood. We butchered the cow for the winter's beef and that what we did with the blood. I just assumed it was all done like that.

>> No.6850432

>>6849855
>Why do people act surprised when you tell them you don't drink
because its fucking weird, its like telling someone you are a vegan, or a mormon

>> No.6850434

>>6850212
>Humans did not evolve to drink alcohol.
Thats not really true, humans alcohol consumption predates civilization (most anthropologists agree civilization actually began because of the pursuit of more alcohol)

We have definitely been consuming it long enough for it to put evolutionary pressure on us and there is even evidence of other apes seeking out alcohol

>> No.6850440

>>6850342
Woman detected

>> No.6850459

>>6850440

How do you figure?

>> No.6850464

>>6849855
>but just because you don't like the taste?

Probably because of this.
Most people only assume drinking the "tasty" stuff like beer, not hard Vodka.

I mean, I once drank beer as a 3-4 year old kid and found it tasty even if I'd never drunk alcohol before or after that.
At that point people catch the scent of you lying (your excuse not adding up) and thus give you weird looks.

Don't confuse that with people who want everyone to drink on social occasions.
That's a different thing which goes away after the second "No, thanks."

>> No.6850522

>>6849967
do you think women are pregnant all the time or

>> No.6850530

>>6850070
Nothing wrong with some decent black pudding, but I guess you'd rather eat your chicken nuggers.

>> No.6850532

>>6850530
chicken nuggets and black pudding are similar in that they both come from cheap super low quality ingredients, but at least nuggets actually taste kind of ok

>> No.6850539

>>6849855
>Why is society so focused on alcohol?
Because humans have been drinking alcohol since farming was invented.
Why do people act surprised when you tell them you don't drink?
Because drinking is fun and a social lubricant.
And why do they get even more surprised when you tell them it's not because of health problems, but just because you don't like the taste?
Because then you're a picky eater, which is more commonly called 'a faggot'.

>> No.6850546

>>6850539
>Because humans have been drinking alcohol since farming was invented.
small correction, farming was invented because humans wanted more alcohol

>> No.6850645

>>6850546
source?

>> No.6850665

>>6850645
http://www.history.com/news/did-beer-spur-the-rise-of-agriculture-and-politics

>> No.6850667

>>6849855
This
Alcohol is literally the shittiest drug
>More lethal than heroine
>Huge hangovers almost as bad as DXM's
>Kills large amounts of brain cells
>lasts a short period of time and if u really need something within that time frame Ketamine is much better imo
>extremely addictive
>can trigger several types of cancer
>etc
Psychedelics will alway be the best drugs

>> No.6850683

>>6850667
>>More lethal than heroine
no, no its not
>>Huge hangovers
eh, if you drink an incredible amount maybe
>>Kills large amounts of brain cells
myth
>lasts a short period of time
Do you really want to wake up drunk the next morning?
>>can trigger several types of cancer
Pretty much everything ever does this

>> No.6850719

>>6850683
>no, no its not
well maybe u should look this up yourself, and it is at least responsible for the most overdose deaths every year
>Pretty much everything ever does this
Look at almost any psychedelic... they don't do this
>myth
my apologies
i looked this up and u are correct, this only applies with pure alcohol and the mental impairment long term only applies to 19% percent of older people and this could easily be something else with all of these people
>Do you really want to wake up drunk the next morning?
Shrooms, Weed(non edible form), DMT, 5-MeO-DMT, Ayahuasca, Ketamine, MXE, 5-MeO-DALT, etc can all be taken without having to worry about being high as shit in the morning. The only time this is ever a problem is with Acid and few other long lasting psychedelics. However none of these really cause health problems or brain damage. Weed and Ketamine may cause psychological dependencies however this is much easier to pull out from than Alcohol and have less severe withdrawal.

>> No.6850738

>>6850719
>and it is at least responsible for the most overdose deaths every year
Thats a completely different thing.
Lethality refers to the mass of chemical per mass body wight that will kill you. Of course something that almost everyone consumes will effect more people than a niche drug used by relatively few people

>> No.6850744

>>6850719
My point with the next morning comment is how often do you really wich alcohol lasted significantly longer? At the rate your body metabolizes it, it is quite east to control how drunk you are, I don't see how this is a negative thing

Also, psychedelics being good is entirely unrelated to whether alcohol is good

Also, Alcohol ascendance is not at all common, most americans drink regularly, almost none have ever experienced dependency

>> No.6850759

>>6850522
I think he implies only pregnant girls don't drink, the non-pregnant ones still do.

>> No.6850774

>>6850744
ayte whatever
I still think its a botnet among drugs
DMT, Sinicuichi, 5-MeO-DALT, etc are so much more convenient because of their effects and/or their time frame.

>> No.6850780

>>6850774
>are so much more convenient because of their effects and/or their time frame
alcohol is more convenient because you can buy it at the grocery store. But seriously, how long do you want alcohol to last? I mean I guess it would be cool if it lasted like 10-15% longer, but its pretty good as it is

>> No.6850791

>>6850719

You are saying alcohol is bad because by some random standard it is arguably more harmful than a few other drugs that can also be horrifically bad by a different standard? Do you realize how full of shit you are or are you just playing the devils advocate?

You are also being redundant, DMT and Ayahuasca are the same thing.

Also, you are saying people should use Ketamine instead of alcohol? Are you insane? Are you the asshole that shows up at parties and after an hour of incoherent babbling passes out in the middle of the hallway? Not to mention the fact that most people would rather not commit a felony just to enjoy an evening.

>> No.6850819

>>6850212
Yeah, that's not entirely true. Evidence suggests that neolithic peoples consumed ethanol. Alcohol is humanity's friend, it's literally what allowed civilizations to form in areas where drinking water was too contaminated to consume on a large scale.

Am I using this to justify my alcohol habits? Maybe, but still. Who am I to spit in the face of 10,000 years of good times?

>> No.6850871

>>6850212
>>6850212
>>6850212
Well, speaking as a biologist with a large interest in evolutionary history, humans have kind of evolved to deal with a whole lot of things. You can see how a specific enzyme in our body (Cytochrome P450) deals with a lot of foreign substances to excrete them before any damage is dealt. This one of the many enzymes involved in alcohol elimination from the body.

So while you are technically correct in that humans don't derive any positive metabolic derivative from alcohol (excluding calories), it does exist culturally and as an important environmental chemical for psychological effects as well as food preservation, to an extent. It's also a big catalyst in a variety of fermented foods that are consumed by the majority of human cultures.

Finally, you can specifically note this difference in Asians vs. Europeans in the Asian lack of Aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2). You could say that due to Europeans and their descendants having a higher rate of this allele in their population that they have "evolved to drink alcohol" more so than our Asian counterparts.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't make absolutist statements because they're rarely correct.

>> No.6850881

>>6850667
I'm that biologist who dabbles in evolutionary theory.

Just want to point out that several of your points are incorrect. If alcohol is killing your brain cells then you are undergoing at the very least mild alcohol poisoning.

Hangovers are controlled by water consumption and salt excretion, which while related to alcohol consumption, can be controlled in tandem.

Your statement about the lethality and addictiveness of alcohol is also misleading due to its basis upon it's wide usage and ease of access rather than metabolic effect (citation: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2010/11/01/ST2010110101970.html).).

Your cancer statement is correct.

>> No.6850917

>>6850819
Go to bed Yang

>> No.6851282

>>6849866
this tbh

>> No.6851289

>>6850342
>I know people who aren't drunk all the time
>therefore anyone who ever drinks must be an out of control drunk
I can see where you got your attitudes about alcohol

Sorry about your childhood

>> No.6851337

>>6849858
I'm not sure what your point is?

>> No.6851362

>act surprised because you don't like the taste

I suppose because alcohol is a drug which most people enjoy being under the influence of.

Maybe an analogy is energy drinks. I personally, don't really like the taste, but I like caffeine so I drink them. If somebody were to say, "I don't take caffeine because I don't like the taste", guess I can see why people would be surprised because it means that you're willing to not take the drug for a very minor reason. So it makes people think, hmm why doesn't he like the effects of alcohol/caffeine? why do I like the effects, and get over the taste for it, but he doesn't? Why doesn't he enjoy the drug? Is there something different about him?

I suppose it's just because the taste of something is such a small to get over to be under the influence of the drug. Try eating san pedro slop, or kavakava. people all over the world deal with this shit taste for the effects so yes it is surprising that you would not like o be under the influence just because the taste is slightly bad (alcohol).

This isnt really about the taste, is it? I think that you have something personal against being drunk and use "the taste" as an excuse to not bring it out. Probably had alcoholic parents or somebody you know died from it.

vodka cranberry literally tastes like cranberry juice if you mix it right. no no, this is not about you disliking the taste.

>> No.6851446

I know a guy who does not like alcohol because of the taste. We all know he's lying about that because he wont even drink kombucha because it is fermented. Give him a sugary drink and tell him there's alcohol in it and he immediately pretends to act disgusted and says he can taste it. Give him the same drink and don't tell him and wont say a thing. He is also a huge homosexual.

>> No.6851465

>>6849855
Pretentious people mostly.

>Be waiter at upscale steakhouse
>House wine bottle is $100
>Occasionally people order the $400+ bottles
>Make 15-20% off $400 + meal for uncorking a bottle and pouring some in a glass

>> No.6851491

>>6849855
>Why is society so focused on alcohol?
Because human civilization has always gone in hand with alcohol, this is because for the longest time it was seen as a magical substance.

>but why do people generally assume a male by default drinks alcohol?
Because the majority do; is that not a reasonable assumption in your eyes?

>> No.6851505

>>6850074
Not that anon, but I eat a lot of different foods and I don't like any of the alcohol I've ever tasted. I'm willing to try anything, but I've yet to meet an alcoholic drink that I like. I don't push it or try harder because I don't see the point in trying to like alcohol.

>> No.6851715

>>6849855
I don't know about the taste (the most I've ever had is home-made whipped cream with vanilla extract), but I just don't get the appeal of any level of intoxication (from alcohol or any other substance).

I live in Wisconsin and it seems to be all anyone talks about:
-Something good happen? Celebrate with a drink.
-Something bad happen? Console yourself with a drink.
-It's after 5pm on any day of the week? Come get a drink with us.
-Casually conversing? Let me tell you about how good the drinks are at one place or another.

Alcohol (around here at least) seems to be the primary way in which people communicate interest or concern in other people's lives. This is, of course, my unsourced opinion backed only by confirmation-biased anecdotes.

>> No.6851749

>>6851715
>Alcohol (around here at least) seems to be the primary way in which people communicate interest or concern in other people's lives. This is, of course, my unsourced opinion backed only by confirmation-biased anecdotes.
I can't even remember the last social activity I partook in that did not include alcohol. Whenever I hang out with friends we drink. It gives us something to talk about. It helps us relax and open up. It's fun. Other people's company becomes more enjoyable.

I don't think I could be friends with someone who doesn't drink. What would we do together?

>> No.6851772

>>6850665

>pop history

>> No.6851793

>>6850212
>thinking we evolved
>not knowing we were made by divine forces
>not knowing alcohol was introduced to us by Dionysus and that he made dolphins out of douchey people
its like you're so pleb you're therapon

>> No.6851862

>>6850434
>most anthropologists agree civilization actually began because of the pursuit of more alcohol
That's what I was taught.

Once we figured out how to grow the grains to make booze, we abandoned our hunter-gatherer ways and became farmers.

>> No.6851907

>>6851505

Most people don't drink alcohol for the taste but for the effect it has on you. Some people do genuinely love the taste, but the rest of us put up with mild discomfort in taste for the way it makes us feel.

>> No.6852053

>>6849855
I feel this. Legitimately no drive to drink. Or really any drugs. Call me a pussy, its one more thing I don't have to worry about.

Its the good life honestly.

>> No.6852069

Is this the booze general thread? is there one right now?

>> No.6852080

>>6849855
Your viewpoint isn't unique or even uncommon.

The United States in general has a Puritanical problem with alcohol.

>> No.6852088

>>6851446
>We all know he's lying about that because he wont even drink kombucha because it is fermented.
Oh shit, I completely forgot about fermented drinks. Kombucha, kefir, kumys, kvass: I'm fine with all those.
>>6852080
Yeah, you see, the problem is: I'm from Russia.

>> No.6852092

>>6850532
Blood is blood. It can come from well-nourished pigs or poorly.

>> No.6852101

>>6850791
>Not to mention the fact that most people would rather not commit a felony just to enjoy an evening.
To play devil's advocate for the devil's advocate, they sure didn't mind doing that in the 1920s.

>> No.6852107

>>6852088
I'm just saying, in this country, it's pretty rich to hear people whinge about "society" "encouraging" drinking when the society itself has one of the most powerful anti-drinking sentiments in modern history. Makes me wonder what "society" they think they're talking about.

I don't know what the deal is in Russia, though.

>> No.6852112

>>6852053
drinking is strongly correlated with intelligence. In fact intelligent people are more likely to try other drugs too (though less likely to become dependent and use them regularly)

>> No.6852113

>>6852080
>The United States in general has a Puritanical problem with alcohol.
What does this even mean?

If anything the US has a problem with too many puritanical southerners creating crazy anti-alcohol laws and cultural norms

>> No.6852118

>>6852101
>they sure didn't mind doing that in the 1920s.
Its a lot different when the government bans something everyone is already doing. Something that progressives will never understand but you cannot just make something mundane illegal and expect people to remain respectful of the government and rule of law

>> No.6852123

>>6852080
I much prefer the French or Italian attitude to alcohol.

The idea of drinking a glass of wine with dinner every day might make a Puritan's eyes bulge, but the southerners can handle it. They don't see alcohol as a substance to either get fucked up on or banish from the face of the earth.

>> No.6852125

>>6852080
His viewpoint is extremely uncommon in modern cultures. Sure it would fit right in in some backwards cultures in the muslim world and the deep south, but that is no excuse

>> No.6852127

>>6852113
That's what I'm talking about, except replace "southerners" with "New England, specifically Massachusetts". That's where the culture emanated from.

>> No.6852132

>>6852127
>That's where the culture emanated from.
250 years ago, but that area was later settled by the irish

>> No.6852139

>>6852113
>puritanical southerners
Not a good phrase. Puritans are seldom Baptist.
And the Southern US always struck me as a place without a stick up its ass, unlike New England.
This is related to denomination, again: Baptists et al worship emotionally, Episcopalians et al in a restrained manner.

White America tends to either go nuts or freeze up, culturally speaking. Hence mix of boozing and teetotalism you never see in Catholic countries.

>> No.6852146
File: 942 KB, 1025x721, churches.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6852139
>Hence mix of boozing and teetotalism you never see in Catholic countries
the american north is largely catholic amongst religious people

>> No.6852151

>>6852146
thanks, spics.

>> No.6852156

>>6852151
well thats California and Texas, but a huge swath of the north from Boston to Wisconsin was settled by Irish, Polish and German Catholics

>> No.6852167

>>6852146
I'm talking about cultural pedigree more so than current reality.

You also have to take class into account. New England preps are the ones with the cultural loudspeaker, not the Italians or the Irish. When they move up in class, they tend to merge into what's there rather than elevating what they had before. They preppify.

Re: Catholic moderation and Irish drunkenness, I think this can be explained by the fact that the Irish don't drink wine with dinner and don't drink coffee when they socialise at the bar. It's tea at home - there's scarcely such thing as a "teahouse" in Ireland - and beer at the pub. So social drinking is purely alcoholic.

While in France, you see people drinking beer in cafes. It's not an environment that encourages drunkenness - guy next to you is reading the newspaper with an espresso - but they can do it in moderation. Encourages good habits.

>> No.6852176
File: 10 KB, 320x320, hee.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6849855
People are so focused on alcohol because it's traditionally the only thing that allows you to forget the overwhelming pain of adult life.

>> No.6852192

>>6849855
Alcohol brings everyone on same level,stiff people tend to open up after few drinks and have a good fine

>> No.6852195

you must be giving off some weird vibe if people are actually questioning you about why you don't drink that much, or you just hang out with cunts

I'm a recovering alcoholic so I don't drink and I'm offered alcohol all the time and I just politely decline and say that I don't drink, only one person has asked why and it was in a totally innocuous way.

>> No.6853542

>>6850464

>Most people only assume drinking the "tasty" stuff like beer, not hard Vodka.

if you're a teenager

>> No.6853563

>>6853542
no one of any age drinks vodka for the taste. It objectively tastes bad

>> No.6853583
File: 7 KB, 1024x1024, pocketinveditor_map.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DEEZ NUTZ! GOT EM!

>> No.6853585

>>6853563

so? the experience of drinking it can be pleasurable.

>> No.6853634

>>6853563
>objectively
Disastrous.

>> No.6853668

>>6853634
it is objective. Human taste buds evolved to perceive plain ethanol as bad. (Well not just humans, this trait evolved long before humanity)

>> No.6853680

>>6853668

vodka isn't plain ethanol.

>> No.6853685

>>6853680
its diluted sure, but not to the point where you cannot taste it

>> No.6853687

>>6853668

that's not objective. some people enjoy the feeling of pain, even though we're evolved to not tolerate it. we like bubbles in our drinks even though we're evolved to avoid breathing carbon dioxide.

>> No.6853688

>>6853563
Literally wrong

>> No.6853691

>>6853685

you can taste it in all alcoholic drinks.whisky has a comparable abv and people drink that for the taste.

>> No.6853692

>>6853685
There are plenty of vodkas where you don't get an ethanol taste

>> No.6853694

>>6853687
its a electro-chemical response in your tongue/brain programmed in your genes, can't get more objective than that

>> No.6853702

>>6853692
>There are plenty of vodkas where you don't get an ethanol taste
Name one

>> No.6853709

>>6853694

did you just completely ignore my point?

>> No.6853712

>>6853687
>we like bubbles in our drinks even though we're evolved to avoid breathing carbon dioxide
the anti CO2 response (asphyxiation) triggered in your lungs is in no way related to taste

>> No.6853721

>>6853712

i didn't say it was, but there's a reason we taste carbon dioxide bubbles and not other gases.

>> No.6853727

>>6853702
Russian Standard

It's easy to say shit about something you know nothing about

>> No.6853728

>>6853721
>but there's a reason we taste carbon dioxide bubbles and not other gases.
yeah, because it is soluble in water and forms carbonic acid

>> No.6853735

>>6853727
it is literally impossible for a vodka to not taste like ethanol. Vodka is only supposed to be ethanol and water

>> No.6853743

>>6853735
That's literally 100% not true

Stop being an autist

>> No.6853758

>>6853743
at least provide some explanation. Your claim makes no sense

>> No.6853771

>>6853758
Vodka is not just ethanol and water

Not all vodka has an ethanol taste

Its really that simple, but you're a fucking moron so such things go above you quite easily

>> No.6853793

>>6853771
>Vodka is not just ethanol and water
its well over 99% ethanol and water, and generally trace impurities are frowned upon.

What the fuck would vodka taste like if not ethanol? I genuinely do not understand what you think it tastes like

>> No.6853794
File: 45 KB, 450x450, neato.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6849862
>neat
>meat
>beating my neet

>> No.6853808

>>6853793
And 97% of beer is water

Its all about the process in how its made, im not saying vodka is bursting with flavors, but not all are pure ethanol tastes

This isn't hard

>> No.6853820

>>6850212
>humans did not evolve to drink alcohol
>the liver is perfectly capable of neutralizing small doses of alcohol

>> No.6853824

>>6850212
Humans quite literally evolved to process alcohol, you retard.

>> No.6853827

>>6853808
>And 97% of beer is water
A bit of an exaggeration, and beer is not distilled so all of the fermentation byproducts are intact along with some unfermented sugar. (the human tongue can only start detecting ethanol at around 7% which is right in the middle of the beer range)

But yeah, the big thing here is the distillation, this process removes most of the flavors of regular fermented beverages, and high tier distilled beverages get their flavor post distillation in the aging process something that does not apply to vodka

>> No.6853842

>>6853827
>a bit of an exaggeration

Not at all

>> No.6853863

>>6853842
most shitty cheap beer is 4.5-5% alcohol, good beer is usually 5-10%

Which beer are you drinking that is less than 3% abv? All of the beer I know that is even close to that low in alcohol are sour beers, but they have lactic acid to consider too so they still aren't 97% water

>> No.6853895

>>6852146
That map is flawed because there are more protestants, but they're split between a ton of smaller groups.

>> No.6853902

>>6853895
the map shows where the most common group is over 50%. Plus its not like protestants are homogeneous, or even more like each other than they are like catholics. The primary protestant group in the midwest for instance are lutherans, and they are way the fuck more like modern catholics than they are like baptists

>> No.6854695

I like a variety of beers and I can appreciate a good scotch or even a mid priced rum or tequila. I do drink for the flavour - preferring not to guzzle beers or down shots, but to sip and savour.

Im also a musician. I will often get the Spanish Inquisition if I forego alcohol at any concert or social event... I like being mildly buzzed, dislike being drunk, and prefer to be sober at least half the time.

>> No.6854730
File: 128 KB, 720x960, 1441113149047.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Why do people act surprised when you tell them you don't drink?

I absolutely love this when it happens. It's very rare however.

>You don't DRINK?! Why? It's fun and you're really missing out!

Rehabilitated alcoholic.

-awkward pause-
>Oh... uhm, good for you!

Then 9 times out of ten they start thinking of their own intake of alcohol, how much, and how often. Not that I give two shits about that anyway, nor would I even question if they drink too much or not. I also only reveal this bit of personal info if they're really fucking adamant on why I don't drink. It's none of their damn business in the first place.

>> No.6854742

my poor grandmother was a bad alcoholic. then it passed through my dad, and fuck now into me.

by the time it got to me i got a diagnoses of panic disorder. they wondered why i was drinking 12 beers a day at 19. that was the only way to bash thAT CHEMICAL IMBALANCE DOWN. luckily by the time it was my turn xanax was out and one small pill took over a drink till ya drop night. my dad got it and saved him too but granny died a horrible death

later in life i decided to drink again.

>> No.6854744

>>6849861
lol

>> No.6854781

>>6849855
Alcohol is pretty ubiquitous. It's like saying you don't drink juice. It's just strange.

>> No.6854815

>>6854742
Guess I'll try Xanax

>> No.6854897

>starting to get alcohol night terrors

this is getting legitimately frightening

>> No.6854903

>>6849858
You actually reinforced his point.

>> No.6854907

trying to kick butt and get out of the drinking drug rut.

may take awhile

>> No.6855623

>>6849855
The first real civilization banded together to make some beer. Get over yourself.

>> No.6855626

>that friend who doesn't drink a lot
>never have any fun with him when out drinking

what a coincidence

>> No.6855628

>>6854897

Yeah, it was all cute when Homer Simpson would yell "COBRAS!" in his sleep. Not so fun anymore...

>> No.6855634

>>6855626
To be fair hanging out with drunk people at a bar or party when you're sober is a miserable experience most of the time (I'm an alcoholic but on occasion I've been forced to do it).
If you're just having some drinks while chilling then it doesn't matter though.
I've known one or two people who don't drink yet are the life of the party and a lot of real awkward bastards. I don't see them as any better or worse that people who can't have any fun at all without booze though. Hell I definitely fall into that category these days.
Who I hate are people who are fucking militant and self-righteous about it, on either side. They can fuck themselves.

>> No.6856005

>>6849945
Yep

>> No.6856009

>>6851289

That was absolutely not what I was getting at. Those people he hung out with that start spazzing out and acting suspicious just because he didn't drink are weird.

For the record, I do drink. So far be it from me to say anyone that drinks is an our of control drunk. But judging people who don't drink as strange is insane.

>> No.6856015

>>6855634
Of course you can have fun without it's just more fun with

>> No.6856117

>>6850667
Wow, I remember when I was in High School!

I had long hair and I smoked a lot of weed, did psychedelics all the time.

I called myself a psychonaut and everything.
>Man, like, alcohol is just poison man, it is humanitys crutch man for real like seriously. It doesn't expand your mind or way of thinking at all like you know!!? I only do drugs that expand my mind, I do a lot of searching in the deep caverns of the brain and Ilike, traverse dimensions and stuff like yeah man whoaaaaaaa.

When you get out of high school and grow up you will feel really stupid, trust me.

>> No.6856127

>>6849855

Because alcohol has been around since the dawn of civilization. It's a huge part of culture and a social lubricant.

In other words, it makes perfect sense for people to have an interest in it and for it to be weird for someone to not be interested in it.

Context, ya dope.

>> No.6856145

>>6856127
>Because alcohol has been around since the dawn of civilization. It's a huge part of culture
So has slavery and rape.

>> No.6856154

>>6856145

Shhhh. Shhhh. Have another drink.

>> No.6856666

IMO Smoking weed is much better. Sure having a fancy glass of wine with a meal has a nice atmosphere and setup, but smoking before and after meals has to be the way to go, and it makes things taste better.

>> No.6856720

>>6856145
>So has slavery and rape.

And so has medicine. What's your point?

>> No.6856755

>>6856666
Quads for truth. To be honest though, I think it differs between people. It took me a long time of smoking before it got to the point where I could just relax and enjoy myself. For a while I just got super existential and got way too wrapped up in my thoughts to just chill. It was a nice sort of reset for my brain, which was why I kept doing it, but it took about 2 years of smoking maybe once a week before I finally understood how people could find smoking relaxing.

>> No.6857224

>>6856117
Shut up. I used to be a pothead.
I wonder what my life would be if I hadn't switched pot for booze a few years back. I would still have a pancreas I suppose, but still no job.

>> No.6857257

>>6849869
It's easy to see how someone doesn't like the taste. I think every alcoholic spirit/beverage I've had tastes like ass at worst and is tolerable at best. I don't mix it though because I am not the gay and I am not the fag.

>> No.6857292

>>6857257
> Can't handle the taste of alcoholic drinks
> Thinks that not mixing absolves him of being a faggot

Holy shit dude you have a serious complex. If you need to mix to enjoy the drink, just mix.

>> No.6857835

>>6856666

Everyone has their preference when it comes to drugs. Some like alcohol, some like weed, some like opiates. Weed makes me too paranoid and twitchy to have any recreational value.

>> No.6857848

>>6857292
I can handle it, but it still tastes like shit

>> No.6857947

>>6857848
So why do you judge people who use mixers and call them fags? Clearly you're in the same camp as them.

>> No.6858029

>>6857947
Chill bro, you take me too seriously on the gay and the fag, I was only speaking shit

>> No.6858187
File: 122 KB, 900x676, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6850819
for the uninitiated

>> No.6858199

>>6857835
>opiates
The only people I've encountered who don't like opiates are the ones who prefer the more in your face blast of coke/meth/crack. It's pretty hard not to fall in love with them.

>> No.6858251

>>6858199

Most people that don't like opiates say thing like "It doesn't do anything." Or "It made me feel sick." So they didn't get the dosage right, don't like downers, or have a weak stomach.

Kind of like how, for the most part, people that have nervous disorders, muscle problems, or trouble sleeping will actually like benzos. You will only like opiates if they do something good for you.

>> No.6858284
File: 46 KB, 600x356, twothings.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pic related

Almost everyone's brain gives them happy juice when they drink it. Don't get mad at them.

Also, remember *you're* the weird one, not the rest of us. Your post sounds super angry about it all. You're still a cool dude even if you don't like alcohol. Slow your roll.

>> No.6859246

>>6849855
>why do people generally assume a male by default drinks alcohol
gee I wonder

>> No.6859289

>>6858284
I'm a fan of gaba and anandamide too.

>> No.6861019

>>6850272
It exists so your body can detox small amounts of naturally-occurring alcohol in foods. When you get smashed it's your body telling you the lay the fuck off on the booze because it can't detoxify large amounts in one go. I think it's at most 20g in one hour which is way less than people drink normally.