[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 313 KB, 439x563, Screen Shot 2015-06-25 at 1.55.21 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6849295 No.6849295 [Reply] [Original]

Get in here, assholes, BOH preferred, but if you're chill, you can join the fun too FOH

>Age
>What position are you
>What type of restaurant do you work in
>When did you start working in the industry
>Favorite thing to make at work
>Favorite thing to make outside of work
>What cool shit happened on the job recently
>Funniest kitchen story
>Worst Injury
>What's your endgame

>> No.6849342

OP here starting shit up because Im a fag

>Age

>What position are you
Currently, I'm the chef de partie of Hot Apps, Pasta and Entremet, but I'm learning Broiler on Sunday and once I have that down I'll be moved up to Tournant, which is p cool

Italian Fine dining

It used to be sweetbreads, but since that got taken off the menu because our customers are plebs, I'm really big on making risotto, and I'm apparently fuckin awesome at it which helps.

I also really like making seared foie, that's always fun

I really like braising shit, or doing whole roasted chickens or something. Also mexican food, I loves me some old fashion mexican food, mostly because that's what we always have at work lmao

some pipe broke and I was working entremet and hot apps at the same time, but pasta guy went to help with the flood that was happening, so I ended up successfully working 3 stations at the same time during a rush, that was cool

We also feed celebs constantly so thats cool

>Funniest kitchen story
our chef de cuisine's a redhead, so his nickname is rojo, as given to him by everyone's fave prep cook (and our only prep cook) this really chubby kinda old mexican dude who knows zero english but can shit talk like it's his job, but no one cares because he's fucking amazing at his job.

so one day, the prep dude shows up after we were all violently ass raped during service by FOH and a bunch of customers, and he holds up this red 6-quart lid with a burn park that looks like a smile, and he drew 2 eyes and yelled ROOOOOJOOOO MIRA TU HERMANO

and we all died it was gr8

>Worst Injury
I've lost the very tips of 4 of my fingers, and i have a tennis ball sized scar on my thigh from a hot oil spill

>What's your endgame
own my own place, prob some new american shit, I'd love that

>> No.6849350

>Age
>What position are you
pastry chef
small fine dining restaurant
pulled sugar decorations
wild yeast sourdough
caught a waiter and a line cook fucking in a storage area, both dudes
>Funniest kitchen story
at my first job, the head chef was a bad alcoholic, drank on the job etc, he stuck the ticket spike right through his hand. everyone thought he was faking until we saw the blood
>Worst Injury
nothing bad really, mandolin related crosshatches on my fingers
>What's your endgame
get a normal job

>> No.6849355

>>6849295

>Age
>What position are you
executive chef
brew pub
coding invoices
sausage
>What shit happened on the job recently -fix'd
I walked on Monday. I don't know even why yet.
>Funniest kitchen story
can't think of anything funny atm. anything.
>Worst Injury
I have all my limbs. got some pretty good oil burns as a doughnut fryer though.
>What's your endgame
I don't know anymore.

>> No.6849379

>>6849355
god damn you don't sound like you're having a ball. Am I gonna sound that bleak when I become exec of some restaurant(s) one day?

What kind of sausage are you into making? Are any of your sausages on the menu at work?

>>6849350
drunk people should not be anywhere near a kitchen, but a ticket spike is the stupidest thing to hurt yourself on when you're around fucking fire and knives all day

We had one line cook who once stole an drank a whole 4 quart of white wine poaching liquid and proceeded to curse off the chef because he asked her to plate faster

Drunk ho's, am i right

>> No.6849439

>>6849295
>Age

>What position are you
was sous chef. new job, bigger city, lead line cook.

modern american fine dining

I like to make asian or mexican food with shit i find laying around. not for menu or anything, just my personal meals.

are you kidding me. i cook for 55 hours a week. im making chicken nuggets or heating up food i take home from work. If I'm cooking for a girl I'll do her a nice meal of lamb, romesco, a little olive mint medley, brussels, white beans.

everyday cool shit happens, im sorry i don't have a better answer for you. i just got off an hour ago.

>Funniest kitchen story
every fucking day new funny shit happens, I couldn't pick one.

>Worst Injury
when I was an amateur, and drunk one day, I cut off about a centimeter of my thumb, halfway down the thumb nail. wrapped it and kept working. everyday.
>What's your endgame
Idk yet, owning a joint, being a prominent executive chef, just being the best i can be. showing people that went to school that I'm better.

>> No.6849447

>>6849350
i wish I was back in a small restaurant. Having alot of control over everything that goes out and how its made.

I don't have a night that we do under 150 covers anymore.

>> No.6849450

>>6849439
me here.

I can't stand how /ck/ is full of people that arn't in the industry and can't cook.

i hate seeing threads about chips. and hotdogs and shit. seriously? wtf

>> No.6849469

>Age
>What position are you
Dishwasher, Line Cook
Breakfast Diner
Dishwashing 7 months ago, cooking 2 months ago (I worked my dick off to get it too)
Probably poached eggs
any kind of veloute soup or baking
I did expo for the first time about two weeks ago, it was pretty rad
>Funniest kitchen story
an ex dishwasher of ours was too slow to keep up and too stupid to get faster, so he just took dirty dishes and put them in bus tubs and hid them in the ceiling tiles. We found it about a week later when we started smelling rotting food
>Worst Injury
Minor burns related to oil/butter splashing from the griddle. My fingertips are always in a state of disrepair though because I use metal scrubbies
>What's your endgame
I want to open up an upscaleish breakfast diner where we make our own stuff from scratch. We don't use roux in our gravy or make our own hollandaise :^(

>>6849450 I know right? every board is like that. I frequent /mu/ as well and the top 40 pop threads are starting to get to me

>> No.6849470

>>6849450
>I can't stand how /ck/ is full of people that arn't in the industry and can't cook.
The worst thing is when you explain how to do something and the reasoning behind your method and get attacked by people that live on fast food and hotpockets if it's not the way they read how to do it on allrecipes

It's worst with baking, but there is a ton of pseudo science and bad technique in all cooking

>> No.6849477
File: 108 KB, 942x688, 030f39.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6849469
>he just took dirty dishes and put them in bus tubs and hid them in the ceiling tiles
this made me laugh so hard I squealed a little

>> No.6849482

>>6849469
fuck ya kid! keep going! motivation is everything. you will be the man one day!

>> No.6849485

>>6849450
>>6849469
>>6849470
Y'all realize this is 4chan, right?
I mean, yeah, processed mass produced bullshit is the lowest of the low according to some, but at least there aren't constant jenkem threads anymore. /ck/ has moved on up. Then again, one of you sneaky fucks is probably an ex-con that learned to sling chow to get away from the sistas in block 8 and lucked out when you scored the right sous some good coke and are now trying to lay low to avoid the chanban.

Wait, what's the purpose of the thread again?

>> No.6849487

>>6849485
most of the people we work with are ex cons. some of the best cooks I've known were in prison.

>> No.6849491

>>6849485
>there aren't constant jenkem threads anymore
truly these are dark times

>> No.6849494

>>6849487
>Constipated_Sherlock_Holmes.jpg

>> No.6849501

>>6849487
>some of the best cooks I've known were in prison.

The coolest chef I ever worked for robbed a convenience store while high on pcp. Obviously he got his shit together by the time I knew him. That's the really cool thing about working in a kitchen, it's a meritocracy and your history doesn't matter.

>> No.6849510
File: 21 KB, 744x231, letter.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How the hell do I get into the industry?
I'm trying to become a waiter and nobody hires me. Sent this cover letter to the last restaurant and it is my general format for all letters. Am I doing something wrong? I don't have much experience.

>> No.6849515

>>6849510
kek

>> No.6849516

>>6849510
diamonds instead of stars next time, dumbfuck

>> No.6849535

>Age
>What position are you
Lead line cook
Pub and grill
Grilled fish
A simple breakfast and tea followed by mixed drinks..
A friend stopped by for a few pints
>Funniest kitchen story
Telling new dish washers to mop the celling.
>Worst Injury
2nd degree burns are about it.. Everything in the kitchen is hot folks.
>What's your endgame
To oneday set down my sword and shield down by the river side.

>> No.6849577

>Age
>What position are you
Sous chef
Small time Italian fine dining in Japan
I think I have the most fun with salads to tell you the truth. If salads don't count, fresh gnocchi for sure.
Yakisoba
Watched a waitress throw a glass at our chef during service for saying something nasty about her being bad at her job (she's okay at it, but she's a sweetheart so he shouldn't complain)
>Funniest kitchen story
The chef brought in a "temporary sous chef" and put me on dishes to punish me for calling him an asshole, and the new guy was frighteningly more talented than the chef. It was fucking hilarious to see his passive aggressive bullshit turn on him so quickly
>Worst Injury
Nothing major, thankfully. Just a few small scars and burns on my hands and wrists.
>What's your endgame
Own my own place eventually, or maybe just run the kitchen, but for now I'm just looking to learn as much as I can. I'm too young to be looking that far ahead right now. My bad if the greentext is fucked up, I'm on mobile.

>> No.6849613

>23
>line cook
>american contemporary, mostly southern appalachia
>started at 16
>i fucking love making risotto and i get really anal about my stock. also pickles, relishes and chutneys
>im pretty into breakfast foods right now and also curries
>i got some really nice chilean sea bass in that im stoked about
>our dishwasher hid pictures of our head chef around the kitchen and its been fun finding them
>had to get 9 stitches after i cut my hand cleaning beef brisket
>maybe be a chef, probably only going to ever get sous. probably going to die young

>> No.6849618

>>6849613
try a breakfast sandwich with eggs over hard, bacon, cream cheese on french toast. Shit's fire yo

>> No.6849619

>>6849350
i like you. fuck a normal job.

>> No.6849671

>>6849295
>>Age
>>What position are you
owner of a private catering/co-owner of a cooking location-party location
>>What type of restaurant do you work in
stopped to work in micgelin stared restaurants since 15 y. Since then private cook and since two years I have my own location. I make foodstyling for cookbooks and advertising also.
>>When did you start working in the industry
15 (2y free culinary institute )
>>Favorite thing to make at work
terrines, graved lachs, bread, porcinis, depend what is seasonal...
>>Favorite thing to make outside of work
smoking salmon in my garden, invite a lot of friends every week to cook for them
>>What cool shit happened on the job recently
as privatcook I meet a lot if celebrities from sport, politic, industries, TV etc...
>>Funniest kitchen story
>>Worst Injury
Madoline -> five stitches.. go back to work right after hospital
burned my two underarms with boiling water, so can peel of the skin
>>What's your endgame
coking as long as I can...

>> No.6849697

>>6849671
>>>Funniest kitchen story
a few ones:
during kitchen cleeening throwing buckets full of water on the other cooks and put them in the freezer for a few minutes at - 25°

cut if the head of a freshly shooted deer and hide it in the fridge from where the waitresses

once a cook deboned a lamb leg, then he hide one of his arm in his cook jacket behind his back and put the bloody bones in the sleeve of the jacket and run in the kitchen shooting like a berserker.

taking the kinfes of a college, put them in box , cover them.with water under freeze them in a block

>> No.6849844
File: 57 KB, 454x453, hmmm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Working in a country club 2 years ago as a waitress
>Indian man working as the potwash
>I take dirty dishes, just chuck them into his massive sink and he washes
>After a few weeks working there he starts to make comments when I throw dishes away
>For example I threw away a dish with pasta sauce stains and he said ''Oooh I'll pretend this is your ceramic tampon''
>Or when I threw a plate used for cakes he said ''Did you jump out of this cake naked?''
>or when I dropped in a couple of glasses he put lipstick on and drank from them then pretended I gave them to him as a flirtatious act
>or when I throw in some empty wine glasses he throws back a bunch of grapes coated in dry semen
>report him for harassment
>he gets fired
>new potwash is some fat woman

Fucking Indians

>> No.6850000

I wish I could cook and be a chef, fuck

>> No.6850027

>>6850000
no you dont

>> No.6850051

>>6849295
>Age

>What position are you
Owner/GM

Bistro/coffee shop

In college I started working at a gelato shop run by an Italian woman and her American husband. Eventually I became I became their gelato maker and barista manager. Worked there for three years, but quit once I graduated and worked for a small IT firm for a few years. Hated it, grandmother died and left me a fair chunk of change, bought out a failing restaurant from a family friend. I kept him on as head cook/BOH manager.

I don't get to work them often, because I generally have other things to do, but I love the morning coffee rushes. Usually I'm training someone, so we end up double baring, but I love to solo bar the machine and just pump out drinks. So much fun.

I've been working with fresh pasta for the last couple of months and I think I'm finally getting it down. Baking bread has also been a great joy to me, but since I live alone I don't do it often because a lot of it goes to waste.

Hired a young woman who seems to think she can manage to make all of our bread so we don't have to outsource from a local bakery. Her references check out, but I'm still skeptical, but she agreed to a weekly salary and said that 50 hours a week doesn't bother her. We'll see.

>Funniest kitchen story
My barista screaming in BOH how much she loves jasmine (tea) and me walking up front to a customer smiling and asking who is jasmine.

>Worst Injury
I have scars from boiling water on my right arm and I'm missing the tip of my middle finger on my left hand.

>What's your endgame
Not working 60 hours a week and making money.

>> No.6850060

>Age

>Position
Head Banquet Chef

>Restaurant
High end catering spot. $100k weddings and such

>Start
Washing dishes at 15yo

>Favorite thing to make @ work
I don't know. It's a lot of customizing to suit the needs of the clients. most people play it pretty safe. If I never see another beef tenderloin again it will be too soon.

>Favorite thing to make outside work
Mexican, Thai, Indian. Anything with some spice to it. But mostly it's just canned soup and hot pockets. Who has time to cook?

>Cool shit at work
I work next to the ocean, so watching the sun set over the water every day is my high point.

>Funniest kitchen story
So many. Walking in on my sous while he was banging a FOH slut on a prep counter. He used EVOO as lube. Breaking up a knife fight between Mexican dishwashers. Did a few celebrity things that were cool.

>Worst Injury
Spilled hot soup on my arm when I was 23 and peeled off about 4 inches of skin. Kept working. Lost a few fingertips. Dropped a knife once and it went through my shoe and gashed my toe. Kept working.

>Endgame
Who the fuck knows? Keep working and putting money into retirement and hope I don't end up an old, homeless ex chef?

>> No.6850084

>>6849844
Designated

>> No.6850095

>>6849613
>mostly southern appalachia
what kinda cuisine is that? really interested actually. I love local american cuisine. people think america is some homogenous mass, but it's actually more diverse than a place like europe

>> No.6850098

>>6849487
Either they're ex cons or they don't have papers, and they still kick more ass than the fresh-out-of-CIA fags

My old chef de cuisine started as a dishwasher in Per Se and rose up to be one of their sous chefs

It's all about being fast and being willing to learn

>> No.6850099

>>6850095
>it's actually more diverse than a place like europe
cringe

>> No.6850100

>>6849844
I had to work with some Indian/Pakistani dishwasher... they think that woman's are dirt and had to obey them... they have a lot of difficulties to accept that some woman's have a higher ranking in the job...

>> No.6850101

>>6849671
this, my frends, is the face of alcoholism

>> No.6850107

>>6850101
?

>> No.6850113

>>6849295
>Age
>What position are you
Server
high-end mexican
if the mexicans let me in the kitchen i make some pretty dank huevos rancheros for when the rest of FOH comes in at 11 sometimes
motha fuckin turnovers
a guest got pissed because we ring up 2 drinks when you ask for a double, thats just how we do it. guest ended up yelling and screaming and calling our food shit (lol) and i got to kick him out. it was a pleasure.
>Funniest kitchen story
when i worked at a pizza restaurant (my last job) i bought an ounce of psilocybin mushrooms and made a delicious pizza with them. waited till close shared it with my boss and another coworker. ended up tripping so hard i woke up the next morning sleeping on the prep table covered in lemon zest
>Worst Injury
last night i dropped about 10 plates of extremely hot food. one of the rellenos went rogue and landed right on my arm, so i have a pretty bad burn
>What's your endgame
eventually kill self

>> No.6850117

>>6849295
>>Age

>>What position are you
I work in the marketing department of a small-ish restaurant group in a major american city

>>What type of restaurant do you work in
it's cheese-focused. new american type of cuisine I guess, but with a lot of european influence

>>When did you start working in the industry
started at Wendy's workin the grill when I was 16

>>Favorite thing to make at work
I don't really work in the kitchen that much anymore. but where I used to work I loved making the zigeuner sauce because of the wonderful aroma and beautiful color

>>Favorite thing to make outside of work
smoking fish
>>What cool shit happened on the job recently
I don't know. I massively fucked things up in our computer systems on Friday, but was treated as the hero because I was the first one to bring it to attention and made it look like I figured out what the problem was.

>>Funniest kitchen story
at an old place I worked at: our owner walking into our basement dry goods area and finding a line cook fucking a waitress (the same waitress that our owner was fucking upstairs at the 2nd floor bar that same night. He fired both of them.

>>Worst Injury
None really because I have good knife skills. I think I once pricked my finger a little while cutting an onion. (at home I always get burns from the oven because I cook while drunk)

>>What's your endgame
I'd love to open up my own restaurant that focuses on Upper Midwestern cuisine. Tentative name is "Northwoods"

>> No.6850289

>Age

>What position are you
Went from sous at one place to pantry at a much better place

Fairly nice modern Italian

Whenever someone gets cut, working sautee or grill is nice

Pizza, pastries, braising anything, smoking anything.

On my way into work there was a naked carjacker

>Funniest kitchen story
Half funny and half horrifying. One of my old chefs got drunk, yelled at pantry that the calamari was overcooked, and scooped it out of the fryer with his hand

>Worst Injury
I always cut myself reaching into my knife bag. Gone to the bone twice.

>What's your endgame
Restaurant specializing in more game meat (venison, bison, etc...) and very seasonal on seafood and veggies.

>> No.6850341

>>6850289
>I always cut myself reaching into my knife bag
Do you store them blade-up or something? That sounds horrifying

>> No.6850509

>>6849450
Oh no, people taking an interest in food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! crime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! only for big boy chefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

>> No.6850521

>>6849510
top kek

>> No.6850524

>Age

>What position are you
Beer/Bar/Shift/Floor Manager (i do it all, small place)

cocktail bar

All the drinks, consistently and as fast as possible

A phone call for pizza

We were rated top 30 bars in the world by Conde Nast Traveler

>Funniest kitchen story
oh, they're all the same

>Worst Injury
cleaning a glass by hand and slicing my pinky to the bone, then working with it and getting gin and citrus in said cut

>What's your endgame
death

>> No.6851781

>>6849379
>god damn you don't sound like you're having a ball. Am I gonna sound that bleak when I become exec of some restaurant(s) one day?
>What kind of sausage are you into making? Are any of your sausages on the menu at work?
Sorry. Don't know if you're still lurking.
I was there for 10 years and I ... had a freak out and now I'm jobless. So I'm not in a great mood.
It's just time to move on. It was probably time to move on a few years ago. It'll be fine though.

Brats and merguez and breakfast and chorizo... anything really. I like curing meats too.
The place is/was too difficult to try doing our own sausage. Too much risk for food born illness and inconsistencies. A local place makes ours for us... theirs for them.

My exit interview is on Monday... can hardly wait.

>> No.6853478
File: 75 KB, 1365x986, knives.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6850341

>> No.6853482

>>6853478
Shit. Forgot to type anything. Like this but smaller bag, different collection, etc...

I've ruined 2 knife bags storing them blades down. So many blade covers. Way I figure is I'd rather cut my fingers occasionally than have to keep spending on new bags and covers. Cheap like that. Fingers heal.

>> No.6853559

>>6849295
>Age

>What position are you
In the Navy, so Wardroom Supervisor. Long story short, I cook for the Captain and his officers.

See above

Muffins with little bits of Heath bar worked into the batter. The officers love that shit.

>Favorite ting to make outside of work
Burgers. Also, red beans and rice.

Finally got a new griddle after about a month after it caught fire and stopped working. Everyone's happy they can get eggs to order for breakfast again.

>Funniest kitchen story
We get a lot of 18-21 year olds who've never seen the inside of a kitchen, let alone worked in one. It's funny to see them do even the simplest shit and completely fuck it up.
>"Hey, Seaman Timmy, go make a salad for the salad bar."
>Come back to a salad bowl full of leaves just ripped off a head of lettuce.
>Not even washed.
>tfw I have to actually tell someone to cut up the lettuce.

>Worst injury
Cut off the tip of my left index finger while at sea. Was cutting up some bell peppers, the ship took a heavy roll port side and the next thing I know a good chunk of my finger is gone. Doc had to cauterize it to stop the bleeding. No anesthesia. Worst pain of my life.

>What's your endgame
Flag mess. That is, cooking for Admirals and Generals (aka, "Flag Officers"). No cycle menu. No limits on what you can make. The closest thing you'll get to real cooking in the military.

>> No.6853638

>19
>NEET
>Worked in my dad's restaurant for what technically counts as a year
>4 years ago
>Kebabrulle
>steak
>last time I worked there a refrigerator fell on my dad when he was trying to clean it, it was funny to watch him panic
>see above
>cut my index finger horizontally while opening a can of mushrooms
>to taste east asian cuisine

>> No.6853663

>>6853559
Good for you.

>> No.6853720

>>6849577
>Small time Italian fine dining in Japan

Sous chef at fine dining place with one year of experience. yeah.

>> No.6854436
File: 242 KB, 640x960, 1432323784564.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6849485
>>6849491

there used to be jenkem threads? Wish I'd been around for that, I know some great recipes.

>> No.6854443

>Age
>What position are you
KM
Bar
when I was 17
red pepper bisque
BBQ Pork Back ribs
nothing besides random bar fights that they expect me to deal with
>Funniest kitchen story
Can't think of any
>Worst Injury
burned entire hand about 5 years ago
>What's your endgame
what?

>> No.6854466
File: 330 KB, 800x680, 1435123904884.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What a fucking depressing thread. Is being a chef so deadening? Come on bros, tell me it's not all bad.

>> No.6854476

>>6854466
It's quite bad, as jobs go. If you want to have a normal life get out of the industry asap

I think it was ranked among the lowest paying professions and the hours will fuck up your personal life, especially if you have kids and shit

>> No.6854477

>>6849379
>god damn you don't sound like you're having a ball. Am I gonna sound that bleak when I become exec of some restaurant(s) one day?
This is the worst industry to work in
Get out while you can, you're only 20

>>6850101
We're all alcoholics eventually

>>6850509
Go back to reddit, child.

>>6854466
It's the worst industry to get in. Work at least ten hours a day usually, no breaks unless you smoke, hot as fuck, on your feet the entire time, get paid almost nothing, no benefits, etc

Only good thing is there's usually a lot of slutty servers

>> No.6854599

We told a cook that the walk in was too cold and that he needed to take the cold air out by collecting it with trash bags. He took the bags of cold air out back and the cooler actually got warmer just because he kept opening the door so much.