[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 462 KB, 478x461, gaswho.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6671634 No.6671634 [Reply] [Original]

So cu/ck/olds, I just discovered that muh tuna steaks have been treated with carbon monoxide.
After the initial "omg muh chemicals!" histrionics, I did some research into this, and apparently, it's to keep them aesthetically pleasing.

I know that breathing carbon monoxide is bad because it fucks with your lungs ability to take in oxygen.
Does eating it have the same effect?

During my research, I discovered that most of the objection came from the fact that it could be used to disguise poor quality fish, rather than any adverse health effects from the gas itself.

>tfw mercury wasn't bad enough

>> No.6671641

>>6671634
eating it has no effect on your health.
It's applied to preserve the coloration of the fish. Normally tuna that's been aged and frozen becomes pale instead of staying the characteristic crimson or bright pink. However, almost all the tuna you've had in your whole life at restaurants and at home, has been treated with CO. If your tuna was frozen it was likely treated. Untreated tuna is very very hard to find and for manufacturers: harder to sell.
>source: BS in biochemistry

>> No.6671646
File: 229 KB, 640x1136, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6671641
i dont think it would be as mentally tasty if i cooked a tuna steak really rare and it was pale in the middle. how could it be pale but still be bloody? eugh..

same thing with how they dye ground beef red though. when my ground beef goes brown in my fridge/freezer and cant help but be all first-world and want to throw it out

check your meat privilege

>> No.6671648
File: 383 KB, 771x1024, thedon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6671634
Why not use an image that at least pretends to be relevant?

>> No.6671687

>>6671641
Thanks fam.

>>6671648
>Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless and tasteless ___ that is slightly less dense than air.