[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 167 KB, 640x478, triplepepperonipizza1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6604600 No.6604600 [Reply] [Original]

I don't mean holiday meals - I mean just small things that you did on a regular or semi-regular basis. It's always the small things that take us back.

For example:

When I was a teenager, my dad and I would frequently go on weekends to the dragway in Cordova, IL. On the way back, we always stopped at a little grocery store next highway 84 and picked up a Totino's frozen pizza. I'd make it when I got home, and that capped the night.

When I got my first job during high school, I was thrilled to have my own spending money coming in, and I started going to McDonald's once or twice a week. My order was always the same, two cheeseburgers and a small order of fries, and the cost was always the same, $2.52. This would have been '97 or '98.

When I was very little, we had family movie nights, which were usually accompanied by air-popped popcorn. My mom always served it the same way: in a big metal baking pan with butter drizzled on top. The best part was when you go to the bottom, where the butter had pooled, and you could push your kernels along the bottom to collect it.

Related to that: I used to read the backs of food containers all the time - cans, boxes, bags, anything. If there was a simple-looking food suggestion on the back, I'd often try it. Black pepper and that crappy "parmesan" in a can both claimed to be good with popcorn, so naturally I tried both at the same time, along with butter, salt, and dried parsley flakes (my own addition). The butter ended up acting as a nice glue to hold on the rest of the toppings. The result was delicious and I ended up eating all my popcorn that way whenever possible.

>> No.6604624

On weekends we would get a Papa Murphy's pizza, my Dad's favorite, then we could rent video games or a movie. Two games for two days for two bucks. If you rented on a Friday you could keep them until Monday because they weren't open on Sunday. Then we'd come home, cook the pizza, then make malt shakes.

When we did something on a Saturday with my Dad, usually some form of work, we'd often stop by Paces (local burger place) and get a rainbow (fruit slurpee type thing with soft serve in the middle) after.

My Dad made popcorn from one of those old Whirley pops. He liked to spice his up and add pepper, seasoned salt he made and bacon to it. He also made a sweet kettle corn for my mom and sisters and heavy butter for my brothers and me.

>> No.6604806

we were a household of habit so i could basically name you all the foods we ate and the general rotation. that being, said, the biggest food tradition i can think of was grilling clams and veggies. my mother would use a kraft or whatever italian dressing on all the veggies (squash, mushrooms, potatoes) and i was the grillmaster since my father didn't live with us. she'd also boil ears of corn. then we bought 100 littleneck clams and i'd grill them in batches and ferry them to the house.

it was always tough getting the fire hot enough to sustain that many clams.

this is also one of the many stories that reminds me we were actually really fucking well off even though mom said we were not. also how weird it is that my mother allowed an 8 year old to build, light, and cook on a fire without her supervision (and refill the coals when i fucked up and made the fire too small.)

>> No.6604808

My dad always worked pretty late so he'd often get a Big Mac and extrafrench fries from McDonald's. When he got home he would dump his food on a plate and watch TV and me and my sister would sit on the floor by the coffee table and share his fries. Did this at least once a week. Mom wasn't too happy about because she was a health freak. Very fond memories.

>> No.6604810

There was little burger place called EJ's near where I grew up, they were the first place to have a street fighter II cabinet, used to go there on Saturday afternoons when I was about 12 or so and eat burgers and fries and play SFII there was a kid who nobody really knew because he was homeschooled who beat the shit out of everybody and was famous because he could pull off the handcuff move with guile lol.

>> No.6604824

>2 cheeseburgers + fries
>$2.52

That would cost you at minimum $8.50 where I live.

>> No.6604829

>>6604824
that's prices from almost 20 years ago

>> No.6604909

>>6604829

>1997 was almost 20 years ago

fug :-DDDDDDDDD

>> No.6604947

>>6604600
Basically every food "tradition" in my family boiled down to getting together and overeating. Dad was a snacker, and always had all kinds of garbage (cheap cheese, crackers, crab spread, pickles, pepperoni and the like) spread out whenever the family was hanging out. After filling up on that we'd sit down to whatever home cooked meal mom made.

Of course dad can't eat like that anymore, because he got the 'beetus years ago.

But I'll give him credit, he made sure I had an appreciation for seafood from a very young age. Some of my earliest memories are eating steamed clams with him. And for some reason he became a fan of the local Greek joint, so on the rare occasions we went out to eat it was often there. That gave me a lifelong appreciation for Mediterranean cuisine.

>> No.6604969

We used to have a family business as a lawnmower dealer. This would require my dad to bring us with him sometimes as he delivered mowers. If we went through a small town called Newcastle he'd stop at this little ice cream stand that is like a miniature Tasty Freeze. My Dad was fond of orange and vanilla swirl soft serve. I have some pretty vivid memories of the smell of the truck and the ice cream.

We used to make pizza every Friday night when the new Star Trek was on, enjoyed it every night as we helped mom make our pizza. I probably have heavy metal poisoning because sometimes we'd use a baking pan and the bottom of the pizza basically tasted like the pan.

>> No.6605253

>>6604600
Probably cheap flautas we'd make.

When it was a lazy evening we'd all go in the kitchen and roll up whatever in corn tortillas and fry that. Avocado and sausage was prob my fav. We'd experiment and cream cheese and jelly was prob the best of the weird shit. Usually bean and cheese. Left over rice and beans, or just whatever was in the fridge.

Even if there was bread I liked this method so much my earliest memory of cooking is cooking a hot dog over the stove and putting cheese on it and frying it in a corn tortilla instead of bread.

>> No.6605257

My dad, my brothers and I riding our bikes to church on Sunday when I was in Kindergarten through 3rd grade. On the ride back, we would stop off at Safeway and get a Hostess pie or a donut. Almost made being forced to go to church bearable.

During special occasions, my mom would make these little tapenade pizzas on thin crispy bread slices. I could eat trays of them.

And of course, black olives on my fingers at my Aunt's house and eating them even though they didn't taste very good. But olive fingers were fun!

>> No.6605276

>>6604600
My dad is/was a handy man and carpenter that worked out of his late mothers home (she left it half to him). He'd keep up the garden amazing and it was a fun place. Every day after daycare he'd pick me up and I'd just hang around while he worked and he'd pick me up a burger and fruit cup from this old hole in the wall kinda place that had great food. But on some days they'd have a fried mushroom special and I never liked mushrooms as a kid except for fried from that place.

I was also just stupid spoiled by my aunt and uncle that lived there. Like no other cousins could go inside the house or eat there or watch tv inside like I could and she'd give me money for the ice cream truck or treats to feed the stray cats but every other kid stayed far away from them saying they were mean. I've now learned my uncle is a serious asshole and hates everyone and used to cuss out the cousins if they even looked at his porch but idk why he thinks I'm adorable still and I got spoiled in that way.

>> No.6606974

- McDonald's on the way to the farm our family had in PA. it was a 6 hour drive and we always stopped for McDonald's. Also on the way to Seaside, NJ in the summer too. McDonald's was always a treat for us and to this day, it's still my comfort food when I'm feeling down.

- My mom used to take me grocery shopping with her Sunday morning. We would go to like 4 different places but first we would stop at Krausers and get a coffee for her and a Nesquick (chocolate) for me.

- My grandmother used to get those little cups of vanilla/chocolate ice cream that came with the wooden sticks for us. When we got to the end of the cup, she would pour some Diet, Caffeine free coke into the cup for us to mix around and drink lol. It was so awesome. Also, she would give us miniature 3 Musketeers bars she kept in the fridge, just before bedtime when we slept over there. That was super awesome.

- My mom used to make chocolate chip cookies while we were at school. She would give us each a cookie or two when we got home. Then she would split one can of soda between the three of us and we would eat cookies and soda for our after school snack. I still love that flavor combo.

>> No.6607001

>mom cooking every steak into shoe leather, only angel hair pasta, and frozen pre-made stir fry from a bag
>divorced every-other-weekend-dad telling us we can have one shasta with whatever we can find to eat before he disappears for the night

Good times... good times...

>> No.6607030

And they say Americans don't like McDonald's anymore. Good posts y'all.

>> No.6607094

It's really nice reading about all this family goodness. Very heartwarming!

For me, my mom always made us after school snacks - usually sliced granny smith apples and cheese. When we got older and the after school thing wasn't practical/cool/whatever, we would still sometimes chow down on some granny smith slices, Ritz crackers, sliced cheese and summer sausage every now and then. My mom and I liked to dip ours in mustard (yellow and brown) but my brother mostly just went for the crackers and apples plain. My mom also used to make awesome meatloaf. I still make it a few times a month, and model it after hers, although I use turkey instead of beef. She was a good lady.

>> No.6607144

>>6604909
He said almost 20 years, dumbass.

>> No.6607157

Delicious breakfasts when staying with my dad on weekends. Sandwiches with marinated garlic, raw sliced radishes, strong cheeses, not all at once but those are the tastes I remember fondly from those breakfasts.

My mom used to work at a "summer sale" at a factory my uncle owned so I'd pretty much always come with her, and we stopped by McDonalds every now and then for breakfast and that shit still reminds me of those summers.

My grandmother used to boil carrots and serve them with butter. Also going out into the kitchen and eating cold boiled potatoes with butter at my grandparents house.

White asparagus with melted cheese and butter on ovenbaked toasts when staying with my dad. Still delicious

>> No.6607164

initially, as a kid, me and my mom would drive or (mostly) walk on sundays to a cheap local wings restaurant that was nearby, order some to go with a side of curly fries and two cokes, go back home and eat them while watching cartoons or movies. whenever we could hitch a ride or had access to a car we would drive back to buy ice cream at a carvel that was next to the wings place. I'd always get the same shit, some lemon/lime sorbet or pistachio without pistachios. we were poor as fuck so it was a treat. to this day the wings joint is still there and hasn't changed much, not even the prices, which is surprising... the carvel closed down years ago.
3 or 4 years later when we were better financially we moved near where my grandparents and my younger aunt lived, and instead we would all go to church and afterwards my grandpa would buy "lechón asado y guineos (boiled green bananas)". every. single. sunday. shit was so ca$h. like the other anon said, it made it worth being forced to go to church. of course, that's all gone now and we don't do shit anymore. my grandma prepares 'morir soñando' every time I'm over, though. so there's that

>> No.6607180

>>6604600
Black beans on toast.

My dad's british, my mom grew up in california. Black beans on toast.

>> No.6607273

Dad and I would stop at one of the dozens of cajun boiled peanut stands on the way to Gainesville to watch the Florida Gators football game. We'd watch the entire game going through multiple bags of the stuff. It was always awesome and every time I see cajun boiled peanuts, I think on those fond memories. That was back when Steve Spurrier was the coach and pretty much dominated the SEC.

>> No.6607332

Growing up I didn't really have a lot of good food traditions. We went back and forth between being middle class and bordering on poverty, and my Mother had depression.

To be fair, if she hadn't stopped caring about making dinner (and if I hadn't gotten really bored and sat down to watch an awesome episode of Yan Can Cook), I never would have started cooking. Nowadays my Dad and I usually go out to eat once a week, usually to a chinese place or a mexican place. The chinese place is fantastic and pretty damn affordable with their lunch specials, the Mexican place will probably kill us, but we go there mostly for the Salsa.

>> No.6607334

My family was never big on junk food (I didn't eat at a McDonalds or anything like it until I was... 14? and stopped at one on the way back from some scout outing; still don't eat much fast food, although I love what I eat), and while my parents loved to cook, I was a miserably finicky eater.

BUT

Every time we went out to the beach for the weekend, we'd stop at this incredibly out-of-the-way market along one of the backroads, this utterly rundown ramshackle place that was only just barely four walls and a roof with no floor to speak of. They had incredible produce, though, and the most amazing home-made fig rolls (I called them fig newtons, not knowing any better) you have ever had, in all kinds of flavors. Grape, cherry, strawberry... It was always a treat stopping there.

>> No.6607370

occasionally my mom and I would make ramen noodles and toss the seasoning packets out, then toss cheapy tomato sauce in and mix it around... poor man's spaghetti... But because it was simple, I thought it was different from it. Meh... still like it on occasion.

>> No.6607379

>>6607273
>Gainsville
Holy shit I thought that was just a dumb place /fit/ made up I didn't know they all actually went there

>> No.6609199

we had a local donut place in Santa Clara that we used to visit every other week on a Saturday.
I'd have swimming lessons and shit and after that we'd walk over for some fresh glazed donuts.

I try to find quality donuts like the ones in my youth here in Texas but they're not the same.

I cri

>> No.6609204

>>6607379
Its a city with the 8th largest university in the country. Damn son, read a book.

>> No.6609249

When I was a kid I used to have the powder chocolate milk mix, so I'd take a large spoonful with some milk. I never stirred it though, just drank from the bottom and in the end, I would eat the large mass of damp chocolate powder on the bottom with a straw.

Also, my family used to always have liquidy porridge on Sundays, but I didn't really enjoy it.

>> No.6609253
File: 165 KB, 1280x960, Picture 103.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6604600
growing up we made beer-rocks once or twice a year and we still do.

>> No.6609302

every friday we would rent a movie and get a huge deep dish pizza(chicago) that was just big enough to feed all of us(irish family)

>> No.6609317
File: 35 KB, 444x444, 1434417811752.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Damn, my grandmother is a fucking baker. I'm amazed she is still alive and bakes some of the best cookies and pies I've ever had. Always during any holiday, especially Christmas.

My mother also makes this insanely good tortellini in a rosé that was to die for. It's weird how food brings back so many good memories.

>> No.6609325

When I was a kid and my mom needed to make an appetizer for a party or something, she would always make these weird roll-ups
Layer of processed ham, spread with cream cheese, then with a carrot stick and a pickle spear rolled up inside. Weird combo but it tasted good

>> No.6609379

i absolutely love this thread as i just moved back home and it reminds me of great times growing up. also randomly visited /pol/ and am astounded at how extremely different 4chan boards can be.

>>6609249
this is exactly what my big brother did and i always found it to be disgusting lol.

>> No.6609384

>>6609325
My mum did something similar, only it was with green onions instead of carrots.

>> No.6609487

>>6607164
you sound like a sassy pr girl. you know pr girls love me...

>> No.6609510

When I was a boy I would spend summers in Currituck County NC where my moms family lived. I would go fishing often with my grandfather and uncle. We would drive to Oregon Inlet where they would put the boat in. On the way we would always stop for bait and "cold drinks". Dr Pepper (which was not available where I lived), or maybe an Orange Crush, Grape Nehi or a good ole Coke. But lunch was always already on the boat . Saltines, sardines, potted meat or vienna sausages and some kind of cookies.

I still like sardines but there is something kind of frightening about those sausages. Great memories.

>> No.6609516

food feels ITT

>> No.6609759
File: 437 KB, 461x1167, blue_moon_mist-SM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, the McDonalds pancake breakfast was like the greatest treat of me and my sister....every once in a while our dad would surprise us by waking us up with it, IDK what was so good about it but it was the best.

Me and my friend had a tradition of getting enchiritos from Taco Bell, I don't know what it was about those things but we loved them...his family always got fast food on fridays and Taco Bell was the usual pic, so I'd go with them and we always got the encheritos, eat them while watching Cartoon Network.

My mom used to call Ramen "chinese soup" and me and my sister would eat them with chopsticks, it always makes me laugh to think about for some reason. Also it being too hot so I needed to let an ice cube melt in it

Me and my other friend would often have sleepovers where wed just play Capcom vs. SNK 2 and Tekken Tag all night, we'd usually have a pizza but lots of pic related was a must, this shit was like crack to us and kept our asses up all night.

>> No.6610850

>>6604808
lol this takes the cake!

>> No.6610868

My mom would cook 6 packs of ramen noodles and we'd eat that for dinner. We were very poor. Either that or hamburger helper with tuna mixed in. Looking back it's still depressing.

Another tradition would be drinking 15-20 mountain dews while I stayed up all night during my summers off from school. Replaced the dews with alochol and thats still my "tradition" and pathetic life.

>> No.6610979

>>6604969
new castle Indiana?

>> No.6611404

>>6610868
Are you a coal miner, and/or living by a mining operation in the poor country

>> No.6611420

>>6609759
>Also it being too hot so I needed to let an ice cube melt in it
I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE

>> No.6611527
File: 232 KB, 547x1198, pepesplinter.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6604829
goddamn

>> No.6611552

From when I was in 6th grade to sophomore year of highschool, my grandmother would drive all the way across town to make breakfast for me and my siblings. She'd make us anything we wanted, so naturally we always asks for eggs and

My grandfather was a commercial fisherman. He retired when I was little, but he still fished for fun. When he got a catch (usually bluegill and walleye, sometimes catfish) we'd have a big fish fry.

>> No.6611569

>>6611552
*eggs and pancakes.

>> No.6611577

The biggest thing I can remember from my childhood was my mom making pizza burgers. After my grandma died, she took her old hand-crank meat grinder that probably her mom used when she was a little girl. It looks like it's probably from the 20s or 30s. She would grind the bologna in that. I'm hoping she actually gives it to me before she dies, as opposed to me just taking it after she does. I'm an only child, so it doesn't really matter. I just would like it to actually come from her with some sentiment than me just going through the house and taking it from the drawer.

>> No.6611593

>>6604600
Every time my father and I used to go to Itasca State Park up in Minnesota, we would always stop at the same steak place on the way back home.

It was called Y Steak House, and honest to god it had the best goddamn Prime Rib i've ever had.

Fuckin' miss those days.

>> No.6611628

>>6604600
Ramen with a half bottle of tobasco cause being poor.

Also illegally hunted venison cause poor and white trash. My mom would bread it an fry it and usually serve it on paper plates with whatever veggies came from the food bank that week

>> No.6611648

44 replies and still on topic. i'm impressed

>> No.6611667
File: 276 KB, 266x263, 1428329367291.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I was poor growing up, so my diet consisted of school breakfast, school lunch, and cereal for dinner. Occasionally, mom would cook something, but I don't remember anything good.
I remember she made fishsticks once, but my dad hated fishsticks, so he started yelling at her, threw them all out along with a few plates, and drove off to Burger King. I don't think I ate that night.
Of course, once they got divorced, dinner was always dry cereal andmaybe a frozen burrito if I was lucky. My dad never cooked, he was always busy in his room playing his drums(or shooting heroin, as I later learned).

I didn't have a very good childhood, or very many positive food experiences growing up.

>> No.6611671

>>6611628
illegally hunted? Do you live in fuedal europe?

>> No.6611691

When low on funds/food we would eat beans only all day in different ways. Bean and egg tacos for breakfast, beans on toast for lunch and bean and cheese tacos for diner. Also "cheesy beans" wich is refried pinto beans with cheap block cheese mixed in and eaten with whatever. I love beans.

>> No.6611692

>>6604600
I have muscular dystrophy, so I had a lot of doctor's appointments when I was a kid. Really till I was 15 or so. I live in a hick town around 2 hours away from my doctors. I get pretty uncomfortable in the car, so we'd stop about halfway on the way home at this little convenience store. We'd always buy a pack of sliced ham and eat it in the car.

I'd say this counts as a regular thing, it happened about once every 3-4 months till I was 15 or so.

>> No.6611700

>>6611671
he just means out of season. You're only allowed to hunt certain times of the year, and you're only allowed to take a certain amount of game.

Thankfully I live near an Indian reservation, and they don't give two shits about the law, so I can have venison whenever I want.

>> No.6611701
File: 21 KB, 300x253, n-s-greeting-bread-300x253.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

After hockey practice, my dad would take me to a greek burger take out joint that serves amazing cheeseburgers and fries.

Grandmother's homemade bread, pancakes, and raisin pies were legendary.

>> No.6611761
File: 172 KB, 400x300, 1268497467261.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6604600
My family stores other food in Pringles cans. They're basically air-tight, so they're perfect for crackers or things like that. Saltines basically never go stale in a Pringles can.

>mfw some guest sees the can and thinks we have Pringles.

>> No.6611909

Whenever we'd go to visit my grandparents, we'd pick up a garlic chicken pizza at Papa Murphy's on the way and bring it to their house to cook. I always loved going to visit them because it meant pizza at their awesome, huge house overlooking the ocean, complete with a swingset on the steep hill the house was built on, so at the furthest out apex of the arc of the swing you'd be a good 30 feet in the air.

They're dead now, but every once in a while I go and pick up one of those pizzas because it reminds me of them and having fun at their place as a kid.

>> No.6611979

>>6604969
Joe?

>> No.6611995

>>6606974
my grandma always had the caffeine free cokes for us, diet and reg. so many memories of those cans at her house, cause back then the caffeine free coke came in gold cans.

I'm not much a soda drinker anymore but still to this day when I go there she always ask me if I want a coke and gotta oblige for g'ma.

>> No.6612011

>every single post is 'My dad is cool and we did cool shit'
>'my family is cool'
>tfw my dad wanted nothing to do with me
>my mother died
>raised by grandparents
I mean, my grandparents are great, but I still feel like I missed out on a hell of a lot.

>> No.6612013

>>6609759
>>6611420
ice cube in the raaaaaameeeen

hahaha yes every time as a kid

>> No.6612021

>>6612011
eh be thankful for what you had. Lots of people grow up with nobody caring about them.

>> No.6612036

>>6611979
lol.. I got that movie ref.

>> No.6612207

I grew up in a dry county in Arkansas, so I'd often go along with my mom to the liquor store on the county line (about a 40 minute drive) to get beer on the weekends.

There was this little roadside stand along the way that had amazing chili dogs, onion rings, shakes, etc. The old man who worked there was always so friendly, and mom would pretty much let me get whatever I wanted.

They tore the place down a couple of years ago.

>> No.6612250

-sour cream on toast with some salt
-mayonnaise, mustard, and the brine from a jar of dill pickles as a salad dressing
-ordering a bacon and pineapple pizza with a 2L of Pepsi for $18 leaving two for the tip every monday for over 5 years with my best friend
-buying candy for 5 cents a piece as a kid from the corner store.

>> No.6612278

>>6607144
so did that poster... dumbass? you misunderstood.

>> No.6612477

Whenever there was a thunderstorm in Park City my dad and I would roast some pine nuts in their shells and sit in front of the big windows that faced the golf course / mountain to watch the flashes and shell/eat pine nuts. It basically guaranteed that I loved storms instead of being afraid of them.

>> No.6612488

Immigrant grandma's stews gave me a love of vegetables..i tried to be sneaky and spread them out on the plate if i didnt want it. Shed scoop them into a pile when she caught me lol. French fry sandwiches.. except they were "chips" no soda, candy. Couldnt watch the simpsons cause it was rude. No ketchup on meat cause thats what the french did LOL.

miss ya, nan' :D

>> No.6612518

We would go to my grandparents house for dinner once a week. Without fail they would have a jar of butter flavored pretzels. I still love pretzels to this day.

My mom would often give me and my sister cut up hot dogs to eat with "secret sauce", which was ketchup and mayo mixed.

Twice a week I would have to go with my sister to horseback riding lessons and basically wait around the stables for 3 hours. Occasionally, my mom would give me money to buy a soda which was a treat. The soda machine was ancient, with like wood paneling and shit, but it dispensed the coldest drinks known to man. I remeber shivering and covering my hands with my shirt sleeves. I got grape soda every time.

>> No.6612524

>>6612518
Confirmed rich for riding horses/having money for soda.

Eats hot dog peasant food

Whats going on here

>> No.6612528

When I was in high school I used to get a glass, put about 2 or 3 tablespoons of macaroni in there with enough water to submerge it, then microwave it for 90 seconds and stir in like half a teaspoon of chicken stock powder.

This was because we almost never had 2 minute noodles in the house and just a few spoonfuls of my chicken macaroni creation every other day was enough to keep me from asking mum to buy proper 2 minute noodles.

Also I used to get these herb flatbreads, lay down a nice thick line of Milo in the middle, roll them up and eat them. The malty/chocolate combination with the rosemary and garlic flatbreads was pretty great.

>> No.6612562

During summer holidays and when I was on study days or had study leave and so would stay at home, my mum would pick up a couple of maple and pecan pastries and we'd have those mid-morning with a coffee while making fun of daytime TV, usually talk shows like Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer. Her favourite topic was morbidly obese guests, especially if they said they ate salad all the time and had no idea why they were 400 pounds- she'd come charging upstairs and wake me up early on summer holiday mornings because "there's trannies on Jerry Springer - BIG FAT TRANNIES!"

So yeah, I get nostalgic thinking about eating pastries while chortling at people being fat on TV- probably not the most cute family tradition ITT.

>> No.6612567

>>6604600
the mexican version of this pizza is the bomb

>> No.6612570

>>6612524
>slumming it

>> No.6612573

>>6612562
Your mom sounds awesome

>> No.6612586

When I was 11 or 12 my half brother would take me and my nephews fishing in the mountains. (My half brother is quite a bit older than me - 38 yrs older, to be exact, as my nephews were only 2yrs younger than me, so it made sense for us to play together).

He'd make us spam and mustard sandwiches while we fished for rainbow trout. I thought they were kinda foul but I still strongly associate the smell of Spam, pine needles, gun oil, dust, and fish scales. The boys (my nephews) were always too squeamish to gut their catch so I would do it for them and sometimes chase them up the riverbank with the fish guts. When we got back to the cabin we'd roll the whole fish in tinfoil and grill harm and eat them with our fingers, dipping the white flesh into mayo. He also taught me to eat whole boiled onions with butter and salt, and how to make pie by burying a pot in campfire coals.

>> No.6612615
File: 167 KB, 440x892, hIOwtnR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My dad's computer store was in a very old bank building, and I'd hang out there a lot during the summer. My lunchtime ritual would be to take a little cash, walk by myself a few blocks to what was then a People's Drug, and buy a single bottle of Veryfine fruit juice (same bottle shape as in pic, though the label may have been a bit different). Perfect treat on a hot day.

The People's Drug is something else now, my dad sold his business years ago, and it seems like these days folks are afraid to let their kids walk anywhere by themselves. I know the Veryfine brand still exists, but I haven't really noticed it in years.

>> No.6612794

>>6607370
So much this!!!!

>> No.6613451

>>6612615
holy shit I remember that brand. I haven't seen it in a long time though.

>> No.6613853

when I was 3 or 4, my father used to give me a cup of cottage cheese with a sprinkle of lawry's seasoning salt on top. I used to love it so much, then tried it when I was older and was like "WHAT THE FUCK?!?". it's like pure sodium in a spoon. my father wanted to start me early for heart disease :(

also, because the only taco bell near me is a bit of a distance, and I always run into traffic on fridays, I go a different route that's farther, but passes by a taco bell. So friday's are my taco bell days, and I usually get a cheesey gordita crunch and a small baja blast. Sometimes I'll try some of their new items, but i'm always disappointed :(

>> No.6614804

Pancakes every Sunday since I was about 14. We would try to use different recipes/add different things each time.

Nowadays, not so much. But when I visit my family we sometimes have them for old time's sake.

Not really a food tradition, but as a teenager my friends and I would buy some fish and chips and drive up to one of the lookouts. It was a nice way to wind down after exams and such.

>> No.6616643

>>6612250

>-buying candy for 5 cents a piece as a kid from the corner store.

I spent so much of my money as a kid on penny and nickel candies. Me and my friends would pool whatever change we could find laying around and get a big ass bag of it to share while playing NES or hiking off in some random wooded area. (Grew up in rural Idaho.)

>> No.6616674

Back in high school, people would regularly drive an hour round trip to pick up taco bell because we didn't have one in our town. It was a pretty frequent thing, despite having nearly a dozen other fast food options but for some reason it was always SO GOOD despite being 30 minutes old. Especially the bacon cheeseburger burrito, that was the shit. Then one opened near us, they dropped the cheeseburger burrito and we kind of stopped going altogether.

>> No.6616838

My mom used to work at a local farm. She used to bring me and my sister with her to help with her chores while the farm's owners were out of town. For a whole month, we'd get up at 4am, climb in the back of the truck and wrap up in our sleeping bags (still pretty cold in the mornings even in July) drive about half an hour. Once we were there, we'd do chores, once the chores were done, we'd swim in their pool for a couple of hours and eat sliced apples and Ritz Crackers with sharp cheddar easy cheese.

Beyond that, the only real tradition we had (I'm gonna cheat here) was on Easter mom would make BBQ Ribs or Chicken, with Texas Toast, Potato and Macaroni salad, deviled eggs and corn on the cobb, while we hunted eggs and played Castlevania. Then we'd eat dinner as we watched the Ten Commandments. To this day I still celebrate BBQ Castlevania day.

>> No.6617934

Hot dog fried rice (Hebrew National). Good rice, left over veggies and half a dozen scrambled eggs, cooked in a family wok. Fresh scallions and a nice vinager based hot sauce tossed in before eating (either Frank's Orginal or Crystal).

Pork fried rice has nothing on this.

>> No.6618080

>>6616643
sounds comfy, anon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzSR_TFMirs

>> No.6618133
File: 77 KB, 637x422, elisa_cannellonis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6604600
As a child, I used to eat pasta every wednesday for lunch.
In my country, there's no school wednesdays afternoon, so for me these pasta meant that: afternoon off.

Today, 30 years later, I still want pasta every wednesday, therefore teaching the same habit to my own children.

Doesn't mean I don't like pasta on friday or saturday!

>> No.6618134

>>6604969
There was an old orange packing plant in my hometown that got turned into a farmer's market-style fruit store and they had a little sorta-touristy shop on the side. The whole place smelled like wood and oranges, and the soft-serve there was fantastic. My mom used to bring my sister and I there sometimes as a treat, and she would give us both a quarter and we would get kid cones. They closed down a few years ago, changed hands a couple times, and now I think they're knocking down the place and the grove nearby for condos.

Growin' up is bittersweet.

>> No.6619558

Friday night was always Pizza night at Pizza Hut (this is back in the 80's) - was every week without fail so much so that they had a booth and the same waitress every time. Was pretty awesome looking back on it since afterwards we would head over to the mall and hit he arcade for a while.

>> No.6620049

When i was in 8th grade my dad would always pick me up after school on wednesdays and took me to hardee's. I'd always get the Frisco and onion rings and my dad would get the thickburger and fries. I still stop by hardee's and occasionally pick up a burger. Good times man.

>> No.6620750

Roy Rogers. My mom started working late when I was about 10 or 12 so that would leave my dad in charge of feeding us. He was the typical 80's dad... Only thing he could cook was spaghetti or steak on the grill. So when he got home from work and mom wasn't home, that usually meant we went to Roy Rogers where I would order a large roast beef with cheese EVERY time. I loved those nights because there was a toy store in the mini-mall where Roy Rogers was and he usually let me go there after we ate.
Bonus: My dad had/has a lingering Brooklyn accent so it was fun listening to him order a lawge roast beef wit cheese.

>> No.6620831

>>6604600
my family had a tradition of eating buttered egg noodles and sharing a baked potato.

every night.
for two years.

it was a rough time.

>> No.6621645
File: 20 KB, 480x358, snug_life.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As a kid i was waiting for a sunday.

Grampa would come to our house - with a big sesame-salt pretzels, a nice cool bottle of coca-cola and bag of roasted peanuts. While my dad had a filled flask of whiskey/gin&tonic flask for him ready to talk about football/soccer.

Sounds weird, but i loved those days... Those early 90's in a shithole of a country in central-eastern europe.

>> No.6621971

This is one of the best threads I've ever seen on /ck/. Lots of people speaking more or less from the heart. We troll and meme and do all sorts of stupid mean shit but in the end we're still all human beings with childhoods we remember

>> No.6621993

every year in middle school, my friday nights were spent the same way. 2L of Vault, 1LB of beef jerky, and hours of gamecube until I passed out around 7am the next morning.

>> No.6622594
File: 12 KB, 252x220, data.bls.gov.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6604824
>>6604829

Where do you live?

>> No.6622642

Growing up my mom would take me to school everyday and we would first go to this little old gas station and she'd let me go in by myself and pick out a lunchable and juice. (This was awesome as a little kid I felt grown up with money) then we'd stop by mcdonalds and share a big breakfast, sometimes we'd dine in and she'd help me finish homework or talk about whatever. When I got to high school we'd either get mcdonalds or kolaches from shipleys. I think thats one of the things I miss about being a grown up, no more sit down breakfast except occasional brunch.

2nd tradition was my dad was always fixing something (truck/furniture/house) that required stuff from across town and me and my mom would always take a detour to our favorite hole in the wall mexican cafe/bakery that was basically a shack attached to a house
she always said "serves him right for sending us out all the time, lunch is on him"

>> No.6622898

>>6609199
was it by any chance a krispy kream?

>> No.6622934

>>6618134
Mixons fruit farm?

>> No.6622972
File: 201 KB, 523x720, 1427169365257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

We used to go to my grandma's on Sundays after church and she always made a really nice dinner, usually pot roast. She also taught me the wonder of breaking bread and then pouring gravy over it, and I still do that every time I make pot roast. I think it works best with brown gravy.

She also ALWAYS had Neopolitan ice cream in her fridge for afterwards because it was her favorite food (sadly not anymore because she has a gluten allergy now)

>> No.6623022
File: 34 KB, 611x458, 1314196069825.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pre-packaged Thanksgiving meals from Safeway since the 90's.

>> No.6623062
File: 231 KB, 600x424, Ritz-crackers-with-apples-and-cheese.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Nothing tastes like childhood more than Ritz crackers + a topping. I'm pretty sure the first time I ever used a knife was to cut off a slice off cheddar to put on top.

Ritz + cheddar + tobasco is truly god tier.

My mom is and was a terrible chef but growing up I didn't have many other alternatives. We'd never eat out, went to see relatives maybe 2x a year for fancier meals, and I didn't eat at school.
So I also have nostalgia for things like string beans boiled in vinegar (this is salty garbage, if you are interested try roasting instead), quesadillas with white cheddar heated in the microwave, and cookies/brownies made with this egg substitute powder that made them as hard as a rock and super dense.

>> No.6623087

>>6604600
Here's the traditions of my family:

Ramen was an unusual, celebrated meal. (Seriously, I was 16 when I realized that the shitty Top Ramen poor people ate in movies was the dish I had maybe twice a year.) My parents would mix.. I want to say 8-9 packets of 3 flavors together. I later learned this was basically a "shit, ran out of money this month" trick.

A more common comforting meal was Jennie-O Turkey Loaf, Mashed Potatoes, and Stove Top Stuffing. This meal we had...maybe once every two months. I remember as a kid I LOVED it. Even as an adult, knowing how awful the idea of Turkey Loaf is, I still occasionally go "This is a shitty week. I'm making a comfort meal."

Another tradition is Hot Pastrami Sandwiches. My mom and dad would tend two skillets, making this: toasted hoagie roll (toasted with butter, so more properly fried or browned), dry-fried Pastrami (take strips of Pastrami and cook them not unlike bacon) melted provolone, mustard, pickle.

For...I want to say 5-6 years, we had a minor tradition: we'd drive to Ocean Shores, WA in the summer, to spend several days camping in a trailer. We'd either go for 4th of July, or a month earlier, for their Kite Festival. And on the way, in some tiny little town, there was a tiny little Diner, that made these fantastic milkshakes and burgers. I remember I loved Butterscotch the most. And I bought a copy of Peter Benchley's The Beast there, which is a thriller about Giant Squid attacks, and I then went to a seaside town. That wasn't my wisest move.

>> No.6623091 [DELETED] 
File: 365 KB, 500x275, rpiXZQC.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When we were young, me and my brother used to be little fatties, so our dad would shout at us and yell at us to go get some exercise.

He'd usually shove us out of the doorway and tell us to run around until we came home sweating. Usually, my brother and I would stash little pockets of cash on us and we'd walk on up to McDonalds and help ourselves to a little burger or two while we waited for the sun to go down.

We'd usually sprint back home and spray each other with the water hose to make it look like we were sweating, and then we'd run up the steps and act all out of breath before coming back in to do it all over again the next day.

Nowadays, me and my brother don't eat junk food anymore and our health took a total 180 for the better, but every now and then I keep thinking back to those days and wondering just how close we probably came to having mini heart-attacks while we were sleeping.

We probably just slept through them

>> No.6623094

>>6623087
Oh, and to hop on the McDonald's train:

The suburban section of my hometown is pretty spread out, for the PNW. So, to ensure all the Scouts of our Boy Scout Troop were together before we left for the weekend hike, the cars would meet at a McDonald's next to the highway, max sure we had everything, then go.

This leads to me mentally conflating McDonald's Sausage Burritos and Bacon McGriddles with bleary early mornings, and cold walks in nature.

>> No.6623096

>>6623062
>white cheddar quesadillas in the microwave.

I know in my heart that they should be cooked in a pan. But as far as my palate is concerned, quesadillas are MEANT to be cooked in the Microwave.
Flour tortilla, two handfuls shredded cheese, flour tortilla, cook for 1 minute.

I can never bring myself to make it another way.

>> No.6623097
File: 396 KB, 439x500, 1429276767900.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

When we were young, me and my brother used to be little fatties, so our dad would shout at us and yell at us to go get some exercise. He'd usually shove us out of the doorway and tell us to run around until we came home sweating.

My brother and I would stash little pockets of cash on ourselves and we'd walk on up to McDonalds and help ourselves to a little burger or two while we waited for the sun to go down.

We'd then sprint back home and spray each other with the water hose to make it look like we were working out and then we'd run up the steps and act all out of breath before coming back in to do it all over again the next day.

Nowadays, me and my brother don't eat junk food anymore and our health took a total 180 for the better, but every now and then I keep thinking back to those days and wondering just how close we probably came to having mini heart-attacks while we were sleeping.

We probably just slept through them

Wouldn't change the past if I could.

>> No.6623099

>>6622972
>gluten allergy.

There's actually not many brands of ice cream that include gluten in their chocolate. With like, 3 minutes of label checking, she could get the Neapolitan back.

>> No.6623124

>29 cent hamburger
>39 cent cheeseburger
>No mom no!
She'd load up like 10 cheeseburgers and freeze half

I got so tired of them.

>> No.6623127

>>6609759
>My mom used to call Ramen "chinese soup" and me and my sister would eat them with chopsticks, it always makes me laugh to think about for some reason. Also it being too hot so I needed to let an ice cube melt in it

I was holding back the tears quite well until I got to this part. I don't even know why, but this was the post that made me break.

>> No.6623159
File: 594 KB, 784x729, 098097969578 (118).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My dad is from Texas and introduced me to Coke and peanuts. Drink about a third of your glass bottle Coke, then pour in salted peanuts. Eat a few with every swig. It's an awesome flavor combo. We'd get it on the way back from Ocean Park.

>> No.6623384
File: 20 KB, 186x271, cinnamon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6623159
This sounds interesting

Me and my step dad would crush up pic related in little bowls, add milk, and eat the mushy cinnamon mess with spoons

>> No.6623702

>>6611667
3edgy5me

>> No.6623742

>>6623702
Shut the fuck up. Not that anon.

>> No.6623857
File: 57 KB, 645x773, 1366543172167.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread is too fucking comfy, I can't take it

>> No.6623864

>>6607370
I don't really get it though, real Spaghetti aren't more expensive than ramen

>> No.6623950

Sometimes my mother would make toast bread topped with green pesto and feta cheese, baked in the oven. Really simple, but great for a snack when I was hungry in the evening

>> No.6624018

Scrambled egg and honey sandwiches.

Bread, milk and sugar in a bowl, then microwaved.

Cream cheese and jelly toast.

>> No.6624092

I lived on the family dairy farm when I was younger. A pretty common weekend thing was trucking cattle between our farms, which would often be a whole day job. Some of my earliest memories would be stopping in the middle of town in a loaded cattle truck and buying some fish and chips to eat on the trip. On the way back, close to nighttime, Dad would always pull into a tavern halfway through the trip. He'd go in, then come out with 2 or 3 beers, coke for me, and a packet of chips to share. Not the most impressive memory, but after a day of stockwork those chips would taste fucking divine
A lot of my younger memories are to do with food and working on and between those farms

>> No.6624109

I'd make mini farm animals out of marzipan, put them in the fridge to harden then pelt my sister with them.

Ah memories.

>> No.6624167

>>6624092
Bet you have forearms like steel cables don't you m8

>> No.6624174

>>6624092
>fish and chips
>packet of chips

i'm so confused!!!

>> No.6624177

>>6624174
Well nobody refers to fish and chips as "fish and fries", even if they're american, do they?

>> No.6624337

>>6604600
It's not newyears without a shrimp sandwich.

>> No.6624517

>>6624337
You Swedish?

>> No.6624549

>>6611593
>Fuckin' miss those days.

what happened now?

>> No.6624552

>>6611667
damn son, i hop you get to cook your own stuff now

>> No.6624591

>>6623097
damn it, my mom used to shove me and my brother out the door and watched TV, we live on the 5th floor with no elevator, so we just spray water on our short and hair looks like we did alot of exercise, but then one time we were too over about the fake sweat we got caught, fug

>> No.6625812

when I was little my grandfather and I would drive to some little shit shack near Lake Michigan outside Chicago and get a sack of smoked chubs for us. Then my grandmother wouldnt let us in the house with them so we had to eat the at the picnic table in the back yard.