[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 39 KB, 300x250, young-adults-cooking.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6562108 No.6562108 [Reply] [Original]

http://www.businessinsider.com/cons-of-meal-delivery-service-blue-apron-2015-6

>Wwwaahh cooking is hard!
>wahhh my mommy isn't here to cook for me!

more and more people are joining the adult world and less and less know how to cook, both women and men. As a result they buy fast food and other crap and get fat.

How do we fix this /ck/? Make basic cooking classes mandatory in high school? Most new mothers these days don't cook either so we can't rely on them.

>> No.6562119

>>6562108
I don't see the problem here. If people don't want to learn how to cook, as basic as a skill as it is, then that's up to them.

If you want to fix it, reduce labor hours and increase pay. The main stigma against cooking decent meals for themself comes from the idea that it's expensive, either in start up or in ingredients, and it's time consuming.

>> No.6562125

it's called catering.

>> No.6562130

How about all the new mothers who work and can't cook because muh feminism and just heat up tendies and kraft mac and cheese for their kids.
Its not good for the nation as a whole.

>> No.6562138

I had to teach my 22 year old roommate how to fry an egg. It's pretty sad tbh.

>> No.6562139

>>6562108

Personally I think that everyone would benefit from basic home ec: not just cooking, but a lot of other skills that used to be commonplace but are lacking now. I'm not saying that everyone ought to be a pro Chef or an expert tailor, etc, but everyone ought to be able to cook a meal, sew on a button that fell off, etc. The same applies to a basic "shop" class where you learn how to use tools to do basic repairs & such.

Sadly, that kind of thing isn't going to fly these days. Schools have been cutting non-academic subjects for years. When their ratings & budget are based on standardized test scores it's hard to justify a home ec or shop class. There's also the safety angle: with as litigation-happy as the country is can you imagine what would happen if little billy or jenny burned their finger on the hot oven while at school?

>> No.6562148

>>6562139
You hit it on the head.
Its pretty depressing to be honest.

>> No.6562156

>>6562119
i concur.
The health benefits are very apparent, as its difficult to fulfill the full dietary requirements based on fast food
It is cheaper in the long run and that has been one of the main points people use when arguing for home cooking
It is easier to conform to one owns tastes. I know thats not big for everyone but its difficult for a restaurant to get it "just right" for every individual

I say, fuck em. What do I care if other people dont take care of themselves. One might say oh wahh wahh my tax dollars, but they really pay with regards to life expectancy and general mobility.

Also, I dont really believe forcing this on people

>> No.6562192

>>6562156
>Also, I dont really believe forcing this on people
Why not? We force all kinds of nonsense on children in school on a daily basis. We force them to learn advanced mathematics that unless they become scientists of some sort have no use in their lives because muh SAT scores, but we shouldn't teach kids to be able to cook for themselves?

>> No.6562203
File: 696 KB, 737x581, Screen Shot 2015-06-02 at 5.25.10 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6562108
Do these idiots seriously not realize all the chopped ingredients are put into separate bowls simply for PHOTOGENIC QUALITY?

They are making the pictures look nice, just as TV shows do.

A recipe isn't a fucking math equation, you can cut some corners to make things more convenient and still end up with the same meal at the end.

This bitch actually complained about the price of tiny bowls, as if products made specifically for MORONS who want their prep look like the prep they saw on TV should be cheap?

>> No.6562240

>>6562192

Wait, are you trying to say that what's on the SAT constitutes "advanced mathematics"?

>>6562203
>put into separate bowls simply for PHOTOGENIC QUALITY?

Sure that's a big part of it, but it's not the only one. The small bowls enforce mise en place: having all your prep done before you start cooking. I've been around several people who fuck up even basic recipes by refusing to get anything extra dirty. Then they scramble to peel and chop an onion while the rest of the dish is burning on the stove. Had they prepped everything before they lit the hob they wouldn't have that issue. Of course you don't need to have a bowl for each ingredient but it's important to prep in advance. It's downright vital for some dishes like a proper stir-fry. When the whole dish takes barely one minute on the heat and the flame is strong enough that your food will burn if you hesitate even for a moment you damn well better have everything ready before you start cooking.

>> No.6562251

>>6562203
>>6562203
>2015
>Not into mise en place

Do you even lift? Small glass bowls for perfect mise en place?

>> No.6562257

>>6562240
Her complaint isn't prepping, it is literally that the bowls are expensive and they are only used for a few seconds but she still needs to wash them.

Prepping is the 1st step in any Blue Apron recipe to avoid the problem you described, but at no point in any recipe do they tell you to separate every single ingredient into its own bowl. That is obviously only done because it looks nice on TV or a photo based recipe.

She goes on to say that she finally realized you can just leave the prepared ingredients on the cutting board as if its some sort of ingenious hack she came up with...

I hope this bitch gets hit by a train. And you >>6562251 too.

>> No.6562258

>>6562240
No, my point was that public schools are more concerned with high test scores then preparing people for real life.

>> No.6562474
File: 9 KB, 400x400, 1388185275704.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6562192
>mfw we are forcing the health crackdown on kids
one don't we hit both issues at once and force kids to prepare their own lunches at school. Like a class and if you're shit then you eat shit lunch until you get good.

pic unrelated

>> No.6562489

Honestly I barely knew how to cook anything before /ck/ and now I can confidently make several dishes and genuinely enjoy it. It won't work for the rest of the populace but I just wanted to thank you guys

>> No.6562575

Op, we should start by offering good food to kids. Or at least something better than in prison (someone post the link or the pic comparing both, I'm on phone)

Most humans dislike change. Too many people are so used to fast food, anything different will taste bad to them even before they taste it.

We should teach kids to have tastes and realise they eat shit. Look how many Anons say they realised their parents can't cook only when they left home, and had to learn by themselves.

>>6562489
4chan did something good. Yay.

>> No.6562590
File: 213 KB, 2248x1686, 1400195376637.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6562203
if shes dumb enough to pay for a meal that costs 8$ per person per serving on the regular shes too far gone to be brought back from whatever fantasy land she lives in.

>> No.6562805

>>6562575
What if that person grows up to be Hitler? Did 4chan do a good deed after all?

>> No.6562856

>>6562108

its not so much that they dont know, so much that they dont want to learn. cook books have always been around, and their pretty simple to follow.

whats worse is cookbooks no longer matter. you can get any recipe you want off the internet. were the first generation that can learn just about anything without spending a dime or leaving our house, but most people refuse to.

and whats worse worse is that the majority of the cooking is simple. were not making our own sauces, our own mothers rarely did. its as simple as chopping up ingredients, and throwing some sauce on them. maybe boiling some noodles.

>> No.6562916
File: 121 KB, 800x522, wine_hipster.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6562108
I thought it was a joke at first but look closely at it

Their one-off meals include weird obscure ingredients that you'd otherwise have to buy a whole container of. This is worth it.

I don't want to buy 20 pound crates of hongeo or fesikh just to make one dish. I live alone. I'm a bachelor. I have limited space. I'm not a fucking sperg. I make decent money. There is no reason for me to ruin my apartment with family size heaps of garbage just so I can have an interesting variety of stuff in my diet. Fuck your 30-serving recipes for bachelor slop. I want something different every day.

Why are you neckbeards getting so upset over people with more money and less time than you? inb4 spend less time on 4chan, I'm trying to fall asleep because I have to get up at 6:30 tomorrow and this is what I do, go fuck yourself.

>> No.6563296

>>6562805
Hitler clearly overcooked his Jews.

>> No.6563348

Part of the problem, of course, is that journalism is fucking worthless, and this woman is being paid to be a whiny bitch because that's what her job is. You can glean almost no useful information from articles like this.

Honestly as long as I'm not expected to pay for the consequences of other peoples' stupid decisions then I can't bring myself to care about how poorly they eat.

>>6562916
It's not ideal to be using ingredients that you only know how to use in one dish in any case. The biggest advantage of focusing your cooking around a handful of cuisines is that you can make more parts of your dishes from scratch, safe in the knowledge that whatever you don't eat you will be able to re-use with something else.

>> No.6563827

>>6563348

Not ideal from what perspective? Saving money. That's it. And even that's questionable. If you have to buy a 20 pound box of some weird shit so you can use a quarter cup, then whether you spent $10 on the meal because of that, or $10 on the meal because they partitioned out a quarter cup for you and shipped it to you along with the protein, the veg, and whatever else, then what difference does it make whether you tossed 19.974 pounds of leftovers in the trash, or an empty crate and some ice packs?

>> No.6563861

For starters, as someone who regularly visits BI, you have to realize their "journalists" are some of the dumbest and worst in the business. The site is good for aggregate stuff, but the articles their staff write are like 99% complete garbage.

BI also writes "articles" that are basically hidden ads on the regular. So who knows if they got a chunk of $ from Blue Apron for schilling their crap.

These services are really only good for super busy people who don't have time to pickup ingredients on a regular basis at the supermarket. BI is located in NYC so what is a simple task of picking up some food can turn into a huge pain in the ass. I've seen a few of these home cooked mail services and some of them look pretty decent actually and everything is already measured out for you. That said, most of the meals are pretty simplistic that you could cook for much less if you just hit up the store and read a few recipes. You're just paying for convenience and ease.

>> No.6563864

>Clickbait article about "Five First World Problems We Just Hate!"
lol no

>> No.6563865

>>6562203
I'm autistic and putting things into tiny bowls while I'm cutting up the next thing just feels right. But I got mine as goodwill and spent maybe 5 bucks for 10

>> No.6563953

>>6562108
My parents never taught me and the "cooking lessons" I had in school were worthless. The amount of worthless shit we were taught is ridiculous. Kids need to be taught important lifelong skills not about how to be a nice fucking neighbour.

>> No.6563983

I recently decided to bake a loaf of bread just because I was craving that freshly baked taste.

>room mate comes in
>"what are you making anon?"
>"bread"
>"whaaaat? you can MAKE bread? you don't need like...special equipment or something?"

I just find it weird that something as basic as making bread (something that's been a necessity to our survival for thousands of years) is falling into the realm of voodoo. Shit our ancestors did, but we've slowly forgotten the secrets of.

>> No.6563992

>>6563983
>didn't read the thread
Your 19 year old roommates aren't why people subscribe to delivery services.

>> No.6563993

>>6562916
>Their one-off meals include weird obscure ingredients

Such as what, exactly? I poked around a bit and I didn't see any obscure or oddball ingredients being called for. Perhaps I'm missing something?

>> No.6563997

>>6563992

I think it's very relevant to the thread. If you read the article linked to by OP the author is just as clueless as 6563983's roommate. Point is that people are ignorant of cooking basics.

>> No.6564003

>>6562108
I think people should start learning how to cook on a basic level when they are much younger. The situation is getting pretty bad, most people I meet are surprised that I cook at home at all with basic ingredients and I'm someone who is eating a hell of a lot of rice and beans, pasta (switched to vegetable pasta, tastes better and has good nutrients), and sometimes other pan made stuff. Can also even make stuff like pizza or basic bread but not to often. Fill in the gaps with some lighter snacks. But if most people can't even seem to do that I don't know how they are even still alive because if I had to buy ready meals and fast food all the time I think I would go broke unless all most people are doing is filling up on ramen or whatever.

>> No.6564011

>>6563993
Looking at this week's menu:
>garlic scapes
I can buy a family size amount at the green market and throw most of it away, or get just what I need with the meal
>pea tips
Same
>creme fraiche
I buy this about twice a year and use about a quarter of it. The rest goes bad

inb4 pickle it force yourself to eat all of it etc. Don't fucking tell me what to do

>> No.6564017

>>6564011

I wasn't suggesting that you force yourself to eat it. I was wondering what exactly you considered exotic out of that list.

>> No.6564020
File: 18 KB, 798x200, ck rage.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

WHAT

Are people this stupid?

>> No.6564021

>>6564017
Nothing exotic from that list, but previous menus have had random Asian fermented pastes or roots or whatever, if that's what you mean by "exotic"

The point is unless it's something I use a fuck ton of every week, it's going bad whether it's zambian fermented shark liver or land o lakes cottage cheese from flyover land.

>> No.6564022

>>6562916
> weird obscure ingredients

This is one thing I don't like about a lot of cookbooks. They give you a dish with one or two really weird ingredients and you just have no idea where to use them. And if you look them up in other recipes, those recipes require more obscure things.

>> No.6564023

>>6564020
Apparently they are.

We really need home ec classes to be brought back. Desperately.

>> No.6564026

>>6564020
This has to be a joke.
This must be a satirical news site.

>> No.6564033

>>6564021
>if that's what you mean by "exotic"

No, it's about what YOU mean by exotic. I didn't see anything that I considered exotic in the recipes I looked at so I was wondering if there really was anything exotic in there or anon has very low standards for what is considered exotic.

>>The point is unless it's something I use a fuck ton of every week....

Fair enough, I was just wondering what those foods were.

>> No.6564035
File: 3 KB, 853x71, Being technically retarded.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wat

>> No.6564044
File: 155 KB, 1200x900, all-in-all-this-meal-probably-took-me-about-45-minutes-to-make-and-was-my-favorite-recipe-of-the-bunch[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Heres a picture of what the journalist cooked.
As you can see, there's no way in hell this is $8 worth of food.

What the fuck is so hard about flicking through some recipes, picking one you like and buying the ingredients for it?

>> No.6564046

>>6564022
>They give you a dish with one or two really weird ingredients and you just have no idea where to use them.

I don't understand the problem.
If there are just one or two oddball ingredients out of many then just leave them out or substitute something else. If you don't know what to substitute then use google.

As for what to do with them? Christ, bro: Taste the ingredient and ask yourself what else you can use it for? Veggies can be used in salads or added to soups, stews, and stir-fries. Taste spices and use accordingly. Condiments and the like should have a variety of uses.

Example: I wanted to make Mapo Tofu since it was a favorite of mine at a Chinese restaurant. I'm a whiteboy with no knowledge of Chinese cooking. Recipe calls for doubanjiang--a weird looking (to me, anyway) fermented chili paste. I bought some just to make that one dish. But you know what? That stuff is delicious, and goes great in BBQ sauce or just about any kind of stir-fry.

>> No.6564053
File: 75 KB, 1000x673, ck 1aaa.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6562916
Leave.

>> No.6564058
File: 137 KB, 1200x900, finally-it-was-plated-though-the-presentation-on-this-dish-was-excellent-it-took-me-roughly-an-hour-and-15-minutes--30-minutes-longer-than-blue-apron-said-it-woul.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6564044
Here's another.

>> No.6564060
File: 136 KB, 1200x900, when-plated-though-the-dish-looked-and-tasted-great-i-put-some-of-the-rice-flakes-back-on-for-presentation-and-added-a-smear-of-wasabi-to-both-plates[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6564058
And finally, whatever the hell this is.

>> No.6564067

>>6563827
when you keep exaggerating and saying 20 pounds nobody cares about your opinion.

>> No.6564154

>>6562251
jack pls go

>> No.6564170

>>6564044
Having to trudge to the store and buying those exact items. It's easier for them to have it all shipped to their doorstep.

>> No.6564176

>>6564170
>beef
>potatoes
>asparagus
>lemon
>chives
>dill
>onion

OH GOD SUPER EXOTIC RATE INGREDIENTS BEWARE EVERYONE

>> No.6564276
File: 325 KB, 784x416, 1404448900477.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>m-muh exotic ingredients
if you're complaing about having a surplus guess what? Those same ingredients can also be used in OTHER dishes. Like jesus, do you just buy these things for just ONE meal and let it rot in your fridge? Expand your palate and fucking use them in other dishes. There's no excuse for being a lazy faggot and making only 1 dish a week and ordering take-out for every other meal.

Better yet, experiment. Even if doesn't call for that ingredient, try adding it and see what happens. If it's shit oh well now you learned something, if not congrats you've invented a new dish to show off to your friends

>> No.6564299

>>6564053
I was here before you, why don't you leave instead.

>> No.6564308

i'm not a national conservative at all but it still really triggers me that people my age often can't cook a simple meal

services like those should be banned

>> No.6564326

>>6564046

The problem is when you follow that logic every time you want to make something, you either have to change the recipe or shit piles up infinitely.

Right now in my fridge I've got two kinds of fermented salted sea critters, three separate jars of spicy south asian pickle mixes, rotting creme fraiche, various hard stubs of Italian cheeses I said I'd use eventually, and a bunch of other gross highly questionable shit.

In the freezer, multiple frozen animal parts in various states of preservation that I think about once every three months.

In the cupboard, half kilo bags of methi, cardamom pods, multiple varieties of cinnamon and black pepper, star anise, ajwain, a huge sack of kerisik, a huge sack of sumac, and who the fuck even knows what else. Much of it years old.

I used to be of the mindset that I should buy it and I'll use it, but no. The reality is I won't.

Blue Apron is a good idea and I will be giving it a try. I know two people who use it and they love it. Call me a shill now, that is the only argument you have.

>> No.6564395

>>6564326
>you either have to change the recipe
What's hard about that?

>stuff I've got rotting
Why do you just let it sit there? Fermented sea critters can go in just about any kind of dish where you want a savory taste. Toss 'em in a stew or a stir-fry. Add to a salad. Italian hard cheese? That's a snack bro, just eat it. Or grate it on top of a salad, pasta dish, heck even chili.

>>that is the only argument you have.

What argument? I'm not against you or insulting you, I'm simply wondering how on earth it is that these things don't get used up.

>> No.6564423

>>6564395
>what's so hard
Who said it was hard? I just don't want to change the recipe. What's wrong with doing things right?
>just eat it
What if I don't feel like it? You can only use so much of some of these things. I'm not changing my entire diet for six months to use up a $7 bag. They're sold in bulk because immigrants are cheapskates and use it by the metric ton. That's not me.

>> No.6564430

>>6562108
I know how to cook a bunch of stuff and I still eat out heaps

I'm just unmotivated

>> No.6564476

>>6564176
Believe it or not, some people are absolutely clueless when they walk into a grocery store.

>> No.6564510

>>6564423
it honestly just sounds like you're bad at shopping now

>> No.6564520

>>6564423
>What if I don't feel like it?

Tough. It's called being responsible and not wasting food. I don't feel like brushing my teeth every day but I do it anyway. Why would you let food go bad as opposed to eating it?

>> No.6564535

>>6564510
Because I bought huge bags of spices where they're cheapest and easiest to find? Lolno. It would have cost more to buy tiny envelopes at penzeys or whatever, and I can pick up vegetables and stuff at the Indian store.
>>6564520
But that's the point. With a service that pre-portions those weird one off ingredients, I'm not wasting food.

>> No.6564549
File: 664 KB, 253x200, whothehell.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6564535
youre so fucking confusing. you complain about having to buy so much of it and not use it then you say its smart to buy it that way because its cheaper per unit.

what the fuck is my girlfriend on 4chan?

>> No.6564559

>>6564535
>pre-portions those weird one off ingredients

What one-off ingredients? You have yet to name anything that's bizzarely single-purpose.

>>I'm not wasting food.
With the service? No, you aren't. But you are overpaying through the nose.

My point was that leaving stuff to rot in your fridge is wasting food. You know there's more than just two options here, right? What's wrong with the "buy ingredients and then make other dishes to use up the surplus" plan?

>> No.6564568

Americans on average work longer hours for less money than previous generations. Something is sacrificed in that equation, and that tends to be the time and energy spent cooking meals.

>> No.6564586

>>6564549
I'm saying any way you slice it, if you don't want to have your last meal dictate the next fifty meals, you're either going to spend more than the absolute lowest price humanly possible or you're going to waste food. With blue apron you lose nothing and you get the bonus of not going to the (or three different) store(s)
>>6564559
>bizzarely single purpose
You're twisting my words, the point is it's either going bad or I have to buy more and more and more food legos to fit with my existing set. I'm tired of my eternally expanding apocalypse hoard of random nonsense.

>> No.6564600

>>6564326
I find this to be the central puzzle of meal planning.
>X is on sale but I have to buy 5lbs
>find recipe for X that uses 3lbs. now find something to make the other 2lbs with this week
>recipe requires 8oz of Y, but Y only comes in 1lb boxes
>I can use remaining X in this other recipe and Y in that other recipe and share Z between them
I think it's fun planning a whole week of meals, and it really saves food.

>> No.6564619

>>6564586
I agree that Blue Apron saves food and time, but you could still buy all the ingredients yourself for less money. You'd also have more food leftover when you're done that you can dictate your next meal with. Honestly, for $10/serving I'd rather just go to a restaurant.

>> No.6564629

>>6564586
>You're twisting my words

Yeah? And you're exaggerating too:
>> if you don't want to have your last meal dictate the next fifty meals

One meal dictates fifty? Really bro?

>>With blue apron you lose nothing and you get the bonus of not going to the (or three different) store(s)

Sure, but there's the disadvantage of the high price, not to mention the trust involved. How are you supposed to know if you are getting decent ingredients or not when it just shows up?

For example: last week I got it into my head to make some catfish po-boys, so I go to the market and scope out the fish. It turns out the catfish was of questionable quality, so I instead looked at what else was good at the seafood counter. They had some awesome-looking squid so I bought that instead. When you trust a service like that to send you things how do you know that they're sending you what's the best as opposed to what they happen to have lying around? With that sort of business model the pressure is massive to use mark-down, close-out, and overstocked produce. I don't trust someone else choosing what onions I buy--I want to pick them myself. And hey, part of the fun of cooking is to see what looks good & fresh and then go from there.

>> No.6564644

>>6564629
fucking this. I live in a city and the closest grocery stores to me is a trader joe's that 8 blocks away and a real grocery store thats 11. I still walk that (no car) and carry it back even though they offer a delivery service because I want to pick my own shit.

and as far as the high prices for convenience go, there's several corner markets closer to me that I'll pay stupid prices at because its one block and I'm not carrying milk back 10 blocks.

>> No.6564700

>>6564629
The trust and ingredients quality is the only thing I agree with, but from the packages I've seen opened its totally fine. Fish may not be sustainably sourced and if you insist on hand fed obscuro heritage breed chickens it's not going to be your thing, but it's at least as good as what you'd get at an average-tier grocery store like whole foods or fairway.

>> No.6564740

>>6562119
Less people cooking means less demand and therefore less availability of fresh ingredients. It also means a general population less knowledgeable about food quality in general, leading to an impoverished food culture.

>> No.6564748

>>6564740

The latter is more of a problem than the former. These days access to fresh ingredients is unprecedented. Not only are there more and more markets in areas that traditionally didn't have much selection, but there's also the ability to get on your phone or PC and order just about anything from anywhere. The same applies to learning recipes or techniques: just get on youtube and watch how it's done.

But the latter part is certainly true. When cheap processed food is widely available many people choose to buy that instead of taking the time to cook. They raise children in the same vein: few cooking skills, and used to eating factory-produced slop. So it's little surprise their children do the same when they grow up.

>> No.6564820

Personally, I think it's a lot about how cooking has become seen as a mystic art rather than a bare minimum skill.

People see a large barrier to entry with it, but it really isn't there. I'd honestly like a wikihow on BASIC SHIT PEOPLE NEED TO COOK with a dozen meals made with less than 5 ingredients.

>> No.6564831

>>6564820
E U P H O R I A
U
P
H
O
R
I
A

>> No.6565245

>>6563865

but you're not an idiot and you know that you don't have to put it in individual bowls just because that's how it looks in the picture

>> No.6565301

>>6562203
Don't you know how to read an entire article? It's very short. Two paragraphs later:

"I learned to start looking ahead in the recipes and combining ingredients if I would be using them at the same time. For example, instead of putting these ramps, mushroom heads, and radish slices into their own individual bowls for three seconds, I left them on the cutting board."

See? She's a genius who eventually figured it out for herself. No wonder she's earns executive pay.

>> No.6566367

>>6562139
I wanted to take home ec in high school, but they told me it was a girls class.

>> No.6566552

>>6566367
Thats part of the problem men dont learn to cook because it's not manly enough unless it's barbecue and women don't learn it because of muh feminism

>> No.6566557

>>6566552
Do you even understand the concept of self education? Are you fucking dense?

>> No.6566572

>The instructions don’t clearly say which ingredients you can put in the same tiny bowls — which can cost as much as $US25 for a set of 8 — as you prep, or if you can ever reuse the same knife or cutting board. These are things you’re expected to figure out on your own by reading ahead in the steps or simply through trial and error.

This is a fucking joke right? The author pats herself on the back for then figuring out that she can leave ingredients on a chopping board instead of segregating them.

>These are things you’re expected to figure out on your own

It's like the creators of these recipes expected their customers not to be complete retards with no common sense or something crazy like that.

>> No.6566577

>>6562119
> The main stigma against cooking decent meals for themself comes from the idea that it's expensive, either in start up or in ingredients, and it's time consuming.
Better just to show them than neither of those things is true.
A neighbour complains about "not having enough time to cook" as an excuse to feed her two kids subpar ready meals and daily.
This is while, by the way, she's spent three or four hours shooting the shit outside with other neighbours.
I go out to my porch to eat something I've cooked because I'm cheap, air conditioning costs money and fresh air is free. Said neighbour, who really is quite nice and this is one of only two things I can find fault with her about, has asked me on a few occasions how I have time to cook when I work so many hours.
"Time management skills and I do it in steps."

>>6562139
>give basic skills classes in school.
I agree. I went to a costly private school and we had classes like that. Half our students' families employed housekeepers and other staff yet at least one year of Life Skills was a required course.

>kid gets hurt; parents sue
Waiver forms/parental consent forms. IIRC, the forms protected the school from frivolous suits but if something more serious happened, parents had a right to litigate.

>>6562916
Well, I'm also a bachelor with limited space and I eat a pretty varied diet. Certainly more varied than quite literally anyone else I know. You needn't buy a bushel of this or a crate of that to cook anything. If you can't find it sold in a smaller amount, have you no friends to split the cost and purchase with? I do. I have friends. From time to time, we split the cost on things typically sold in quantities too large for a single person. Most recently, watermelon. It's cheap, yeah, but how am I gonna eat 30lbs of it before it goes off? By splitting it with three friends.
Before then, a tenderloin of beef. ezpz

>> No.6566581

>>6562119
>I don't see the problem here. If people don't want to learn math, as basic as a skill as it is, then that's up to them.
>I don't see the problem here. If people don't want to learn to read, as basic as a skill as it is, then that's up to them.

Because teaching basic skills is what school is for.

>> No.6566588

>>6566557

He's saying these people wouldn't educate themselves anyways.

>> No.6566590

IMO you shouldn't immediately equate home-cooked food to 'healthy' food

I could together something using the ingredients in my kitchen right now that could be just as bad if not worse than anything you can get in a fast food place

in reality, there is no simple solution to the obesity crisis. blaming it on one or even a few specific and broad things is futile

>> No.6566599
File: 14 KB, 480x360, 0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6566577
>have you no friends to split the cost and purchase with? I do. I have friends.

Are you weber cooks guy?

And no I'm not going to call up everyone I know asking them to come give me $1 and travel 20 minutes to me so they can pick up their share of a huge watermelon they didn't ask for just because I felt like having watermelon at random and wanted to save money. I'm sure that seems totally reasonable if you're living in a dormitory with a bunch of other 21 year olds eating dorm food and desperate for wholesome things to eat, but not in real life where people live scattered around the city and already have jobs.

Giving away extra food, that's what normal people do, and it's a nice thing to do, and I do that sometimes. But just assuming people want to go split the cost on some random ingredient YOU felt like having, no. That's mildly obnoxious.

>> No.6566618

>>6566581
>what is self motivation
>what is initiative
>what is self reliance

Jesus wept, pull your finger out and wind your neck in.

>> No.6566622

I was decent enough at cooking to make basic meals and I could follow most recipes, but this cooking class I'm in has been great. Teacher is going to another school though and I'm worried the new teacher won't actually teach the kids the good stuff the current one has.

I'm 18 please don't hurt me.I just want to talk about food.

>> No.6566628

>>6566599
Give away extra food is what more people need to do, I absolutely hate when food gets wasted. Could be a big meal you made, or a fucking McDonald's big mac, either finish it or give what you're not gonna eat to someone else.

>> No.6566630

Austria has mandatory cooking classes in middle school unless you go to a Gymnasium which is considered the more "academical" school type.
It's definitely a good idea.

>> No.6566739

>>6562108
Mandatory cooking classes should be put in place for up to 16 years old, that would probably help. Although at my friend's school they do a 'Food Technology' GCSE course and the stuff they make is really shitty. Like 10 minute bolognase and stuff like that.
Although it would still be way more useful than the Chemistry course everybody under 16 has to do here in the UK. I haven't used any knowledge from that and I doubt I ever will.

>> No.6566773

>>6563827
But I listed another reason in my post.

>> No.6566804

>>6564423
>I just don't want to change the recipe. What's wrong with doing things right?

But there's no such thing as 'right'. A recipe is just one person's opinion. It's not any more correct than whatever changes you might want to make.

>> No.6567015

>>6566804
>this recipe sucked, I changed the galangal for ginger and I used tofu instead of beef, also I skipped the chiles because spicy food gives me gastritis, fuck this recipe
This is you

>> No.6567020

>>6566618
your write luck at me i been dun taughted meself to reed an rite

>> No.6567027

Adults lacking cooking knowledge isn't something new, it's been happening since the 60's, 70's in the west. A great number of my friends have mothers (and fathers) who are entirely clueless in the kitchen.

If anything I think there's been some renaissance of reclaiming lost cooking heritage in our generation, although it doesn't involve everyone.