[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 932 KB, 258x258, 1431730994233.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6533265 No.6533265 [Reply] [Original]

>Out with friends at a resturant
>Figured to try something new
>Never actually had medium rare
>Everybody describes it as the magnum opus of steak quality
>Order it
>ohboy.jpg
>Its hard to cut
>Finally try it
>Weird to chew
>Oh god I'm eating raw meat
>Forcefully swallow it
>Everybody else had a great dinner
>Pay for it and leave night ruined
thanks guys.

>> No.6533271

>>6533265
> the magnum opus of steak quality
Medium rare is a temperature, not a grade. Stop listening to your friends.
>>Its hard to cut
>Finally try it
>Weird to chew
You either ordered a tough cut, or you were just eating not so great meat. Perhaps both.

If you're at a restaurant in the USA and the steak cost less than ~$30, you should ask them to use a jaccard tenderizer (assuming they're not doing it already). Really bad places do this by default, some good places do it anyway, but a lot of middling places don't because they think they're too good for it, so we end up with stories like yours.

>> No.6533281

can't cure pleb tastes

>> No.6533389

>>6533265
>medium rare steak
>hard to cut
>weird to chew
If it actually was medium rare and not overdone, it was a bad steak. A good quality steak cooked a proper medium rare should be really tender. Did the menu say what cut the steak was, or give any other info about it?

>> No.6533418

>order a places "house steak", it has no description, just house steak, everyone says they love it
>get it medium rare
>worst steak I've had, gigantic chunks of plasticy fat or just nasty meat

>ask what cut they use
>chuck steak

And out the door I went

>> No.6533490

Hope you don't get worms OP. Anything less than well done has a risk of food borne illness.

>> No.6533496

>Order hamburger
>they ask you how you want it cooked

Oh I don't know, maybe completely and evenly since the interior isn't sterile like a steak?

>> No.6533504

>Everybody describes it as the magnum opus of steak quality

Your friends are plebs. The magnum opus of steak quality is black and blue.

>> No.6535060
File: 55 KB, 576x631, donenesspixbeefsteak5levels30kb.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>on holiday with a couple of mates
>we decide we'll all cook our own food independently
>we hit the local tesco superstore and split up
>never cooked a steak before so I decide to try it
>i get a sirloin steak, oil, salt, carrots, peas and tomatoes and red wine
>we meet back up
>they got ready meals (one got a pork pie from the deli and the other got a microwaveable spanish omelette)
>I let them use the kitchen first because I'm gonna be a while
>they've finished eating before I've even got the food prepped
>no idea wtf i'm doing
>boil the carrots, adding the peas after a few minutes
>meanwhile I fry the steak, adding sliced tomatoes after doing the steak a couple of minutes each side (feels like forever)
>plate up, pour the wine, get comfy
>mates are exchanging looks as if to say "who does this guy think he is?"
>steak looks like medium rare in pic
>it's fucking gross, chewy as hell with invincible lumps in it that I carefully spit into a tissue
>ask microwaveable spanish omelette guy if it looks okay
>"looks fine but not how i would've done it"
>eat dr. oetker's funghi frozen pizza for the rest of the holiday

>> No.6535063

>>6533418
what the flying fuck kind of steak house uses chuck steak?? that's pathetic

>> No.6535617

>>6535060

good for you for eating a proper meal, but sirloin is the wrong cut for a pan steak unless you know what you're doing, it's pure muscle and it sounds like your steak was not aged properly.

try again and next time tenderize it or cut it into thumb size chunks aka steak tips and fry over high heat quickly

>> No.6535682

>>6535060
> never eaten steak before (didn't eat out as a kid)
> end of first uni year exams
> Tesco rump steak on sale for £2
>I shop online, bus costs more than delivery
> They're out of rump steak so substituted with a gorgeous ribeye at no extra cost
> obviously never cooked steak before either
> rub with oil, salt, pepper, get my shitty non stick as hot as I'm happy with, dice and boil potatoes
> sear the steak about four minutes a side
> allow to rest under foil while I fry the potatoes all crispy
> plate up with a dash of Worcestershire
> mostly perfect med rare, some bits medium thanks to shitty pan and stove

> honestly the greatest thing I've ever eaten in my life

I've had plenty of kitchen fuckups as a novice but that first steak of my life went absolutely perfectly. I was in heaven.

>> No.6535751

>>6533496

Why would you think that? That's not even close to being true. Do you think the slaughterhouse feces merely sits on the surface? That for the days of sitting on the shelf, marinating in its own blood, that this bacteria isn't permeating each and every cell? That you're somehow safe to eat raw meat because you let it touch hot iron briefly on each side and spun in circles three times and said a prayer?

You're-- quite literally-- retarded. In the sense that your brain doesn't work right. It's slow. You're literally so stupid you can't even rationalize why eating raw meat might be a bad idea. And don't kid yourself kid, rare to med-rare is "raw" in the sense that whatever e-coli from feces and mad-cow and very human diseases from the workers cutting themselves in the plant are very much alive and well in the warm cozy bed you just heated up for them.

Of course, as long as you aren't ignorant of the risk, have fun. I don't get mad at smokers. I support people using cheap fish for sushi not caring about parasites. Same with pork, enjoy a rare chop, feeling safe that only 99% of porcine parasites have been dealt with (you've never felt like the 1% anyway)

>> No.6535766

>>6535063
>>6533418

>I paid $6 for a steak and was surprised it was a lot quality cut

I'm surprised you even noticed the prices since your mom must still be paying for you when she takes you out

>>6533265

You too asshole, you sound like some idiot wandering into a liquor store thinking "I heard whiskey was pretty good" and you buy a $12 handle of Jim rye and are surprised it tastes like shit

>> No.6535777

if its not well, then go to hell,
if its not blackened, you aint mackin
never rare, even on a dare
your steak is medium, tasteless tedium,
if its pink, then your steak stinks
let it burn a bit, just grill that shit,
your taste sucks, don't give a fuck

>> No.6535797

>>6535766
What the fuck are you on about? >>6533418 was the house special that cost 25 dollars.

>> No.6535804

>>6533271
>going to a moderate/casual/probable chain steak house
>asking your server to make sure they used a 'jaccard tenderizer'

That is a sure fire way to 1) Make yourself look like a douchebag, and 2) likely get everyone that works in that restaurant to spit on your food.

>> No.6536165

>>6533265
That is an awesome bird gif, OP.

Try going to Ruth's Chris Steak House some time. They serve good quality meat there.

>> No.6536173

Hi guys! Let's play "spot the vegan troll".

>>6535751
Oooh, there she is! How do you find the energy to type all of that after eating bean sprouts and kale?

>> No.6536203
File: 562 KB, 1600x900, sustainable-meat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6536173
4chan is the first and only place I've seen where not liking CAFO prion garbage hormone meat from walmart makes you a female vegan

You people ever consulted a dictionary before?

>> No.6536320

>>6535804
>likely get everyone that works in that restaurant to spit on your food.
What kind of faggot attitude is this?

Now I'm a simple coder, but when my client asks me to develop his shit using Ruby, I don't make it so it rm -rfs all his shit.

>> No.6536370

>>6536320

You should probably kill yourself

>> No.6536715

>>6536203
Yeah reddit is full of faggots so no surprise

>> No.6536755

ITT: Bitchboys cry about their fine steaks because its not ruined and burned.

>> No.6536808

>>6536755
>raw meat
>fine steak
fuck off, we are civilized people

>> No.6536829
File: 2.60 MB, 200x250, 1365203290834.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6533265
>medium rare
>raw
Your empiracal area of living.

>> No.6536901

>>6536320

You're such a faggot

>> No.6536919

>>6535682
>(didn't eat out as a kid)
You people don't eat steak at home? I had steak at least once a week, growing up.

>> No.6536981

>listening to /ck/
>ever
deserved

>> No.6537120

>be on 4chan
>have a group of friends to go out to actual restaurants to eat with
>irl friends suggest getting steak cooked the equivalent of missionary sex - i.e. normal fucking steak
>apparently spend time on /ck/ and think mid-rare is anything other than missionary tier
>have baby taste and actually start thread on /ck/ about having baby taste

If I weren't al/ck/, I'd be a janitor, and I'd ban every post like this, troll or otherwise.

>> No.6537317

>>6536165
>Ruth's Chris Steak House
I've been thinking of checking that place out, how pricey are they?

>> No.6537327

>>6537317
Their menu prices are posted on the internet.

Also I didn't even notice it was a gif until just now and I was the first person to reply to this thread.

>> No.6537607

>>6536320
what these guys say
>>6536370
>>6536901

but also for a more serious response anyways:

The chef/cooks in the back aren't going to be "oh, a fellow food connoisseur is out there! How lovely!"

They are likely going to say something along the lines of you being a faggot and needing to go kill yourself.

>> No.6537651

>>6537317
Depends on the location. BTW, forgot to mention, there's also a fairly decent Brazilian all-you-can-eat "steakhouse" called Fogo de Chao. I enjoyed it the one time I ate there, but it's like any other AYCE place, you end up stuffing yourself and wondering if you really got your money's worth.

>> No.6538060

>>6536919
Well
No
Is the answer
Steaks are too expensive to feed to unappreciative children