[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 173 KB, 770x460, koreanbudae-jjigae-17-770x460.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6454209 No.6454209 [Reply] [Original]

Watching millionaire, best selling author, and recognized chef Tony Bourdain on TV last night and he;s digging into Korean Army stew like a boss.

Spam, hot dogs, ramen, etc. and he eats it like a champ, all smiles you know?

Okay pretentious sorts, start your muh palate, blah, blah, blah.

Me for one would like to try it. It looked pretty tasty.

>> No.6454217

>>6454209
Bourdain has always expressed his love of "tube meat", so I'm not surprised he liked it.
Also, that pic shows a lot more than just hot dogs and spam in it. I'd eat the fuck out of that.

>> No.6454221

Yeah that stuff looks pretty great. And I don't know much about Bourdain, but the one episode of that layover show he has which I saw had him enjoying hot dogs, so it doesn't surprise me.

>> No.6454247
File: 33 KB, 400x400, douche.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6454209

pleb watches Bourdain instead of reading my food blog stories about working in a kitchen and getting shit on by everybody

>> No.6454334

>>6454209
Peasant food is always great if the person making it is competent. You honestly can only really complain it's too heavy but there's usually a light picked component served along side it too. Food basics are pretty universal.

Damn , i want some rice porridge and damuji now

>> No.6454422

>>6454209
>Okay pretentious sorts, start your muh palate
This is a common fallacy: that people who appreciate really high end food turn their noses up at pedestrian foods. Plenty of very pedestrian foods are as delicious as any fine food. Tony knows this because he's not a snob. A snob looks down on cheap ingredients not out of some refined sense of taste, but because he defines himself as someone who would never eat cheap food.Tony doesn't care if a dish is made from cheap ingredients as long as it's delicious.

Where you'll see Tony rail against cheap food is when it involves undermining the deliciousness out of convenience for the cook - when a dish could have been delicious but it was dumbed down and lazily cooked. That's what pisses him off. But being creative with what one has available? You won't see Bourdain shit on that.

Also, Tony appreciates context. He may hate shit like tuna casserole, but he went on record saying it was the best thing in the world when he had it on an aircraft carrier after being rescued from Lebanon when Israel attacked them. Again because he's not a snob - he knows the situation matters. Something that would be insultingly bad if served to you in a restaurant wouldn't raise an eyebrow on a military base, because those are two different worlds with very different standards.

>> No.6454440

That Koreans took food like spam and hot dogs and made them into a god tier stew is one of the reasons I'm a total k-weeb

>> No.6454664
File: 981 KB, 1300x1600, rebelyello.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6454209

I saw this somewhere's and suggested to my buddy (yes snob but still somehow my friend) and he said he would skip it.

I think I might make it once, though I would rather have someone else make and serve it to me.

But hey, I'm a rebel.

>> No.6454674

>>6454422
Anthony pls go

>> No.6456937

It's drunk food, but I can imaging how this will be flyoverland's memefood of 2018. I don't think I've ever had it before midnight.

>> No.6458666

>>6454440
they can also turn poop in a beverage, the Koreans are truly an innovative people

>> No.6459495

>>6454674
Tony's right. He hates food cooked without care or respect, not pleb food per se.

>> No.6459620

>>6454209
Half of my fellow gooks think it's great, and half think it's shit. And I can't speak for the ones who live in the motherland, but I would assume it's more special there, considering how they practically worship spam.

>> No.6459960

>>6454334
>Peasant food

Peasant food doesnt come out of a hotdog or spam factory.

>> No.6461706

>>6459620
Also they just have better spam.
It's just made from better meat parts.

>> No.6461729

As much as I want to hate Anthony Bourdain, he's not wrong.

Though as someone who actually had to live on Spam and other shitty canned foods for years as a child, I can't say I share the Korean and Hawaiian admiration for the stuff. Fuck it. Let 'em have it. Also Koreans are wrong when they put American cheese on ANYTHING, especially ramyun.

I will always be in their favor when the fermented foods come out though. I have a love-hate relationship with the Koreans. I fucking hate their Christianity (and as a former Presbyterian I can tell you that Korean Presbyterianism is the most obnoxious form of Presbyterianism. Just try dating a Korean Presbyterian girl. They're racist as fuck). Also the Korean inferiority complex towards the Japanese is fucking embarrassing. And the Korean idea that caking a woman in a one-inch layer of makeup is sexy is laughable.

I love Koreans, but they are one fucked up people. Still, I'm happy to sweat over a bowl of spicy noodles with them. Just keep that fucking Kraft single away from mine.