[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 11 KB, 384x216, Pappadeaux.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6415203 No.6415203 [Reply] [Original]

What's /ck/'s opinion on this joint? Any other recommendations for god tier restaurants around Atlanta?
>ordered crawfish etouffe
>wife had shrimp, scallops, and fish scewers
>fucking amazing

>> No.6415207

>>6415203
I know, *skewers

>> No.6415237

>>6415203
it's pretty good. i gave the guy a $100 tip and he looked like he wanted more.

>> No.6415446

>>6415203
I've been to Pappadeaux in Atlanta, maybe there's more than one, I don't know. I got a fried shrimp po-boy which was good. My bro took me there, but better by far was this dive bar type place on the way to the Atlanta airport that made these great mussles in green sauce. I don't know if that place exists anymore but it was really good and not expensive.

>> No.6415881

dont eat at franchises ,corporate food sucks

>> No.6415962

There are only about a dozen or so of them left, but when I first moved to America, Arthur Treacher's was way, way more common and also muh shizzle.
>delicious fish
>delicious chips
>delicious doughboys
All it needed was some mushy peas and curry sauce and it would have been perfect. But alas! No.

>> No.6416012

>>6415881
Hippie detected

>> No.6416015

>>6416012
Just a food lover.
Applebees is is the the worst of all bees

>> No.6416098

>>6416012
No, he's right. Part of the artistry of a chef is being able to make the menu interesting and cost effective. Some menu items made from inexpensive ingredients may be subsidizing those made with more costly ones. The chef also develops relationships with purveyors to get better quality ingredients and seasonal specialties. And chefs use their creativity to re-purpose perishable ingredients into specials before they go bad.

How good a chef is at doing these things is part of how good the restaurant will be.

Cooks in a corporate chain do not have any such leeway. The menu is set, does not respond to what's in season and corporate controls how all the food is sourced. Everything is a top down mandate, carefully worked out with an eye to the bottom line.

This does not mean the food at chain restaurants can't be good. It just makes it really unlikely. Chains have a very high incentive to minimize the amount of fresh food kept on hand, so their food will consist as much as possible from frozen and dried products. And since the pricing and sourcing is set by corporate there's every incentive to cheap out on those ingredients as much as possible. The people cooking have no say in the matter, nor any real influence on the food.

So what happens in a chain is that the chef - the heart of a restaurant - is pretty much replaced with a corporation. That's not a formula for great food.

This Anon >>6416015 is correct. Sure, some hack getting everything from Sysco can be just as bad, or even worse. But with an independent restaurant there's a CHANCE it will be good. With a chain you're settling for mediocre at best.

>> No.6416106

>Any other recommendations for god tier restaurants around Atlanta?
How frequently do you eat fast food during the week, and what's the most most money you've ever willingly and gladly spent on salt?...

>> No.6416111

>>6416106
And there are no "right" or "wrong" answers.

>> No.6416116

>>6416098

Very good points there.

One thing to add: The other thing that chains are big on is consistency. They want the same menu in every store regardless of season or location. That means they will never take advantage of whatever good stuff is in season because it will not be available out-of-season. Because the menu must be the same at all locations that limits their food suppliers even further: they are forced to go with whomever can supply a high volume, as opposed to high quality.

>> No.6416126

I haven't been to a Pappadeaux's in probably 15 years. I remember it being really good back when they first opened, and then once they became a chain, it fucking sucked. Same for Macaroni Grill. We used to go to the original Macaroni Grill when I was growing up, before it got bought out and turned into a chain, and it was really fucking good. Now, I'd never eat there, the food is shite.

>> No.6416207

>>6416116
>they are forced to go with whomever can supply a high volume, as opposed to high quality.
It also means not much interesting on the vegetable front. Or interesting food at all. Because the identity of a chain was worked out before the place even opened, and interesting food is not a corporate priority.

A chef will put interesting dishes on the menu as a point of pride, and can adjust the identity of a restaurant as it goes along, in response to the customers. A successful independent with an ambitious chef will always be a work in progress, with a surprise or two on the menu to reward the adventurous diner.

The structure of a chain makes this impossible.

>> No.6416319

>>6416106
We never eat fast food. I used to in my twenties but realized it was shit by the time I hit 28. My wife and I go out for dinner maybe 3-4 times per month. I don't understand your question about salt. She buys sea salt and iodized for cooking at home. We never run out so I guess once every 4-5 months.

>> No.6416334

>>6416319
I don't really monitor how much we spend on dinner night because we both make a decent income to treat ourselves every now and then. My other favorite restaurant is Ruth's Chris and The Marrieta Cafe for lunch. But we eat out so little, partly because we both can cook fairly well, in comparison to what is offered by going out. Do you have any recommendations for sit-down or fast food type restaurants near Atlanta. Please don't say The Varsity hot dog shit hole. Went there once and never again. What a fucking joke. Shitty boiled hot dogs with greasy brown shit that the restaurant refers to as chili. Oh yeah, and fresh out of a bag shredded cheese

>> No.6416341

>>6416106
The Varsity, all Atlanta residents swear by it, and in no way is it a tourist trap promoted by Food Network.

>> No.6416369

>>6416341
Well ya done fucked it up
>confirmed for shit taste

>> No.6417984
File: 73 KB, 680x814, happiest.picture.ever.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

ITT: The 17 black people on /ck.