[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 89 KB, 546x960, 1427607648760.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6414576 No.6414576 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/
I'm moving tomorrow. Completely empty fridge and pantry. No cookware. It's time to start fresh. 100 bucks, what do you start your blank canvas with?
Pic mostly unrelated

>> No.6414602

>>6414576
Flour
Sugar
Butter
Yeast
Olive oil
Salt
Cayenne pepper
Pasta
Rice
Bread
Bagels

$100 worth of food is a lot to list so you're on your own for the rest

>> No.6414606

>>6414602
>>6414602
Oh cookware

Go get a basic set and a decent cast iron pan

No advice on brands

>> No.6414621

>>6414606
Stainless steel?
I've never owned my own set of cookware, and I've always used others nonstick shit, except at work, which is ss

>> No.6414660

>>6414606
For a workhorse pan I'd take a 12" stainless skillet with appx 2.5" walls at 90 degrees

>> No.6414669

>>6414576
Find a restaurant supply store, buy your cookware from there.

It will cost more but last 10x as long.

>> No.6414714

>>6414669
Restaurant supply around me is generally cheaper than other places, because you can just get basic shit without all the stupid celebrity chef names slapped on it.

>> No.6414725

Ok fellas what about Walmart stainless pan set? I'm working on a serious budget for a few months, and I figure Walmart brand pans can't be either too expensive or too shitty. Last me half a year at least

>> No.6414760

>>6414725
As long as you can get something with a nice thick bottom and preferably no coating on the handle (plastic a shit) you're golden.

Thicker base means more even heat, no plastic on the handle means you can put the whole thing in the oven if needed.

>> No.6414802

Slow cooker. At least 10 lbs rice, 10 lbs black or pinto beans (dry not canned), cans of diced tomatoes and tomato paste, coconut milk, chili powder, cumin, curry powder, garlic, onions, corn tortillas, peppers, cooking oil.

That's a good base to make a lot of basic recipes if you add meat and/or fresh produce.

>> No.6414838

All right, I'm going to bed. Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'll sleep on them. I'll see if there's any other wisdom in the morning
Night /ck/

>> No.6414880

>>6414576
Lentils. You don't have to soak them like you do regular beans.
If you're living on a budget then rice and beans are your friends. Buy spices to spice (haha!) up your cooking so you don't get tired of eating similar things all the time. I don't want to recommend anything beyond salt and pepper because I don't know your tastes, but I personally use a lot of cumin and paprika/cayenne. I'd probably use more oregano if I had it. Spices get expensive though.
Canned tomatoes are good for a variety of dishes. Diced or crushed.
Soy sauce.

I'm a few months ahead of your situation. I got the best pan set I could find on amazon (cooks standard iirc) for a little over $100 and I think it's going to last me. It came with a steamer too. You'll want a few bowls in a variety of sizes depending on if you'll bake or not.

A baking pan, frying pan, soup pot, strainer, and measuring cups are essential. I approximate tbsp and tsp with my regular use spoons for now, but I don't do a lot of baking at this time.

Peanut Butter and Jelly is my go to lazy meal/snack/whatever.

If you can splurge I'd recommend getting a food processor/blender/combo/whatever. Smoothies are easy/good ways to get fruit and you can make bread crumbs/sauces/etc.

I wish you luck, friend.

>> No.6415939

>>6414576
A heavy bottomed pan. Cast iron or SS. Get it second hand ideally.
A cheap but good chef knife. Victorinox or something is the memebrand I think, but it's probably alright.

Groceries with whatever is left.

>> No.6416969

Hey I'm back. I dunno how to count I guess, the move is tomorrow. Would a thrift store be a good source of ss pans, or would they be aids pans?

>> No.6416985

>>6416969

Yes, absolutely. SS pans are pretty much indestructible so there's no problem with buying a used one. Find something thick and heavy and you're set.

>> No.6417106
File: 2.00 MB, 3264x2448, grilled cheese.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'd start with a decent stainless steel set

here: http://smile.amazon.com/Heim-Concept-12-Piece-Stainless-Cookware/dp/B00RYQTMOS
some plates: http://smile.amazon.com/Gibson-Heritage-Monogram-Dinnerware-Collection/dp/B0026VJLA6 (hope your name begins with a K) or http://smile.amazon.com/Simply-White-Stoneware-Dinnerware-Piece/dp/B006819704 or just see what the local bed, bath & beyond has. Also, I live in an actual city that has a rough-ish stretch with what are essentially old Five & Dime stores. I'd see what cheap chinese shit i could get there as far as plates go.

and another hundred bucks for actual food (and some silverware).

bread, tuna, pasta, rice, whatever your favorite lunch meat is from the local deli, same with some cheese, sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, whatever greens are on sale this week (broccoli, squash, asparagus, ramps, etc), chicken, sausage, beans, salt, pepper, paprika, basil, oregano, all-purpose seasoning, red pepper flakes, cumin, mustard, mayo, ketchup, soy sauce, lemon/lemon juice, sriracha, jarred pasta sauce, peanut better, strawberry preserves, juice, tea and milk.

i'd add in other herbs/spices, more condiments, things like flour and sugar on subsequent trips.

>> No.6417205

Well my hundred dollar limit is kind of over, turns out I'll be about a hundred in the hole until June, so either I eat nothing except the food at work or my tax refund comes in and I fill the kitchen.
Appreciate the hell out of the input though guys. /ck/ top board