[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 10 KB, 300x287, home kitchen kitchen dining small appliances slow cookers.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6402775 No.6402775 [Reply] [Original]

Should I get a sous vide machine and dine on god tier juicy meats?

>> No.6403171

Sansaire (Half-baked) $199
SousVide Supreme (Counter device) $474

>> No.6403181

Amazon
Sous-Vide-Supreme-Water-SVS10LS/dp/B003AYZIB4 $399USD

>> No.6403233

>>6402775
Could you not achieve similar results in an oven?
Don't forget you need to buy a device to vacuum seal bags and the bags.

>> No.6403524

yes, OP. if you have the time and the inclination you can do amazing things with sous vide, especially with braising cuts of meat because you can serve them rare and still get a lot of tenderisation. pic related is a noodle broth i made with short ribs that i cooked for around 36 hours. they had the tenderness of a premium cut but they also had a loose grain so you could pull them apart easily and they had a metric fuckton of flavour.

you can take large, cheap cuts, sous vide them for a day or so, slice them, individually package and freeze them and you will have a stock of really cheap and really delicious 'steak' cuts ready to go. you can do this with pork shoulder or beef shin or something and it will be wayyyyyy better than getting pork chops or thin shitty steaks from the supermarket.

however this is not the only thing it's useful for. anything requiring parcooking or tempering to specific temperatures can benefit. poached pears, custards, chocolate, rice, confit vegetables, perfectly textured halloumi - a long list of non-meat stuff is well served by sous vide. it minimises things like oxidation and uneven cooking so if you are serious about food it's an important tool.

>>6403233

you don't need a vacuum sealer for most low temp cooking applications, getting the air out by water displacement is usually good enough. wrap a couple of butter knives or something round the bag to help weigh it down.

>> No.6403527
File: 601 KB, 3264x2448, IMG_1196.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6403524

>pic related

i'm a dingus

>> No.6404178

I just ordered one of these devices (not sansaire) and it will arrive tomorrow. I'm looking forward to using it with the elk I have in the freezer.

>> No.6404230

>>6403233
Absolutely not. If you could get similar results in an oven, that's what people would do. Virtually no oven is even capable of maintaining an exact 130 degrees, and they ALL will dry out your food.

>> No.6404242
File: 16 KB, 500x500, wsicat509.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6403233

There are CVAP ovens that can be used similarly, because they can hold low temperatures and have programmable humidity. However, they cost several thousand dollars and require both water and electricity hookups, which can be awkward to get set up in a house

>> No.6404244

>>6403233
>Don't forget you need to buy a device to vacuum seal bags and the bags.

Not necessarily. You can have some success with ziplocks using water to press it out.

However, if you do go and get a food saver vacuum sealer or something similar, you can do a lot more with it than just use it to seal up things to go into your sv bath. Those things are really handy at keeping stuff fresh. I even seal up my brown sugars to keep them from bricking up.

>> No.6404502

>>6403527

Looks fucking excellent man. Recipe?

>> No.6405124
File: 22 KB, 440x440, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6403233
No you fucking don't.
A sous vide setup doesn't need to be anywhere near that complicated, specialized or expensive.

All you need are heavy-duty ziplock bags of the right size (use two if you're concerned about leaks-they're cheap), a large pot to heat water, an electronic thermometer with a probe, and pic related, a large cooler that seals well.

Fill the cooler with water to a level that will just cover whatever it is you wish to cook. Make that water warm enough to bring your food up to the temperature that you want, and there's your sous vide setup.
To get regular ziplock bags airtight, just put your food, marinade and spices into the bag and close it most of the way, leaving only a small corner open. Lower it into the sous vide setup, letting the water push the air out of the bag until it's almost fully submerged and only that open corner remains. Just before it goes under, seal the bag and guess what? There's no air left in it. Ta da, you just saved yourself the expense of buying a vacuum pump!
Before closing the lid of the cooler, drop the temperature probe in the water and put a large pot full of water on the stove to simmer.
Check the temperature every 30-60 minutes. When the water temperature drops down a little too low, pour in some warm water from the pot on the stove, draining cooler water (via the cooler's handy-dandy drain plug, naturally) back into the pot as necessary to keep your cooler from overflowing.
That's really all you need.
Honestly, How did you think these chefs first pulled this shit off in the first place?

>> No.6405579

Get an analog crock pot and a $16 temperature controller with a probe from Amazon.

>> No.6407135

>>6404502

i winged it a bit, i was using up leftovers from easter. bag up short ribs (don't add salt) and sous vide them at 54C for anywhere between 36 and 72 hours. when they're done, take them off the bone and sear them in a hot pan, reserving the juices left in the bag. when the meat is seared, add the bones to the pan and roast them in a medium oven then deglaze with beef stock (i actually used a lamb/beef stock reduction left over from easter and added water). julienne the white part of a leek and add the trimmings to the stock, along with a knob of ginger, a handful of star anise, cloves, dried chilli and cassia bark. boil until reduced by a third then add fish sauce, perhaps a little soy, perhaps a little sugar.

toss cooked noodles with a little sesame oil and put them in the bottom of a bowl. thinly slice the meat against the grain and cover the noodles then strew with the leeks, sliced fresh chillies and snap peas, sesame seeds, thinly sliced spring greens and sauteed brussels sprouts (again, leftovers). add the juices from the sous vide bag to the hot broth at the last minute and pour it over the top.