[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 2.10 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6392894 No.6392894 [Reply] [Original]

Tonight (or today rather, because this is a long process!) we're going to be making a beautiful shoulder of lamb.

Many people say prime rib is the king of roasts . . . . I beg to differ! This is hands down the most spectacular, flavorful, amazingly tender and spectacular piece of meat I know how to cook. Seriously, it just plain doesn't get any better than this for a family get-together or any other special occasion.

So let's get started!

>> No.6392905

Begind by getting yourself a lamb shoulder roast. Generally it will be in the 5lb range.

You won't see this on the supermarket meat rack! This is a situation where you need to actually talk to a butcher and ask for it. If you have a middle eastern butcher near you that's the best bet. The roast should include a goodly portion of ribs and chops!

I forgot to take a picture, but here's what you're looking for. Many butchers will be happy to trim the fat/etc for you, but make sure they leave it otherwise intact (other than removing enough of the bone so it will fit in your cooking vessel!)

>> No.6392909
File: 8 KB, 366x285, lambshoulder.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Forgot the picture, hehe.

Now that you have your lamb, make several good scores into the meat side and to the meat around the leg.

>> No.6392913

Also forgot ingredient list:

1 5lb Lamb Shoulder, Trimmed and Scored
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup good dry white wine
1 head of garlic
1 large bunch fresh thyme
Middle Eastern Lamb Seasoning (Get this from the Arabic mart!)

The seasoning blend isn't necessary, but boy is it good.

>> No.6392915

its rib side down in the pan right?

>> No.6392923

>>6392894
You and meat minimalist would probably make best friends.

>> No.6392930

>>6392915
Yes, rib side down. And forgot olive oil in the ingredients.

So now take your lamb and place in a LARGE roasting tray. I really prefer to use one of the heavy duty disposable tin ones like this. Season generously with salt, pepper, and your spice blend. Rub it into the scores you made.

Then lube it up with olive oil. Place meat side up under your broiler on the hottest setting its got! Really put some great color on the top of this roast! It'll take 5-10 minutes depending on the strength of your broiler.

Sorry I forgot pictures of these steps, but its pretty straightforward!

>> No.6392946

Once the meat is really nicely colored and much of the top fat has rendered out, remove from the oven. Add your stock and wine. Peel your garlic cloves and add them and the rosemary both on top of and around the lamb!

We're finally at the picture where I started. All this prep is super easy, it took maybe 5 minutes.

Now cover VERY TIGHTLY with either foil of a lid if the tray came with one. We want to keep all this delicious liquid in the pan, you'll see why later.

Pop in a 350deg oven for 3 hours. Easy, huh?

>> No.6392952
File: 2.40 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Through the magic of time three hours have passed (I did this earlier). Use tongs or an oven mitt to carefully open the foil (the steam WILL burn you!)

Your meat should be SO TENDER it is LITERALLY falling off the bone. A fork should meet nearly NO resistance. If it does, back in the oven for another half hour!

God, isn't it a thing of beauty?

>> No.6392960
File: 2.62 MB, 2448x3264, shoulder3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Would you just look at that amazing fucking caramelized garlic? Sweet baby Jesus!

Let me tell you, your whole house will smell incredible.

>> No.6392971
File: 2.07 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

But we're far from finished. Give yourself at least an hour from this point until you plan to eat.

Now pour off all your cooking liquid through a strainer into a large metal bowl or other vessel. Place it in your sink surrounded by ice cold water. We want this chilled fast!

Place the lamb back in the oven (turned off) covered so it will stay warm.

>> No.6392999

looks pretty good op

>> No.6393087

My guests have arrived, I'll finish up after we eat!

>> No.6393690
File: 2.00 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder5.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oh my lord, what a foodgasm.

But let's get back to it. Pop your now cool liquid in the fridge until the fat on top becomes semi-solid. Won't take too long. Then skim it off into a separate container.

DO NOT throw this fat away! Its seriously amazing stuff. Use it later to roast potatoes or saute vegetables . . . . delicious! Possibly the only fat more flavorful than bacon drippings.

>> No.6393696
File: 1.92 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder7.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The fat can be refrigerated or frozen for later use. We won't need it for the sides on this dish.

Also forgot to mention, don't you DARE throw away all those wonderful garlic cloves that were with the lamb. They're great any number of ways, but we'll be using them later.

>> No.6393702
File: 1.80 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Add your non de-fatted liquid to a large saucier or pot. More surface area means faster reduction! We want to reduce this by about 2/3 to really intensify the flavor!

>> No.6393723
File: 1.68 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Erm "now defatted". You get the idea.

One it is reduced taste for seasoning. Just kidding, if this needs any seasoning AT ALL you've messed up! Seriously, the flavor of this sauce is so amazing you'll want to drink the whole thing, resist the urge. You can either use it as-as or thicken it depending on your preference.

>> No.6393729
File: 1.84 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like to make a slurry with two tablespoons corn starch and some water. Add that it and it will thicken very nicely. Keep at a super slow simmer until ready for use.

In the meantime you've been making some wonderful mashed potatoes, right? All of that pretty roasted garlic is with in them along with some butter . . . . good stuff! A hint for potatoes . . . use a potato ricer instead of a masher. Just through the ricer with the garlic and a bit of butter, then a single stir to combine. Makes the fluffiest, best mashed potatoes without the need to add tons of sugar or cream.

>> No.6393738

Now you're ready to plate and serve! Of course you can use whatever sides you like, but I really like the potatoes due to the gravy. I also added some nice asparagus.

To serve the lamb, don't even bother trying to make slices. It will be WAY too soft for that! Instead just pull the bones out, remove the fat, and serve the meat in nice big chunks. Make sure each diner gets some of the nice caramelized bits on top.

The absolute best part is the meat at the tip of the rib bones. Since this meat can't be seen until you flip it, you might want to save it for last for yourself. Muahahaha.

>> No.6393742
File: 2.32 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

You can also serve buffet style, etc. But this is a meal I really like to plate so everyone gets the same experience.

Take the time to plate it nicely, people eat with their eyes first! I can't say my plating skills are pro level, but I love the way this dish looks.

Enjoy with your favorite beverage!

>> No.6393774

*clapclapclapclapclap*

>> No.6393782
File: 2.23 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lets get another moneyshot. Oh GOD yeah!

Don't be too heavy with the sauce when plating, it is SERIOUSLY powerful! Serve with nice crusty bread to collect the last bit of sauce at the end, because you won't be able to bear leaving any behind.

This is definitely the most spectacular and luxurious dish I know how to make. At $58 for the lamb alone it is unfortunately a special occasion only meal for me.

There was literally not a single sound other than orgasm noises while we ate. The flavor, texture, everyone . . . . it will make you feel like you've gone to heaven! If I didn't know how to make it myself I would happily pay $50+ a plate for it in a fancy restaurant.

>> No.6393842

>>6392894

leg beats shoulder any day

>> No.6393988

>>6393842
Try this recipe and you might change your opinion! Leg is a really great cut and I love it too, but it is a totally different beast. Also its a lot more expensive.

The really wonderful thing about shoulder is the vast amount of collagen and intermuscular fat, which gives you an absolutely unmatched tenderness and juiciness when braised for a long time. There is absolutely nothing I know of that compares. Seriously try it once . . . you'll thank me.

>> No.6394000

>>6393988
Thank you, im a little scared to try this at $58, but if i get some courage to have others help me, itll even out the costs. 5lbs is a lot though for a supposedly great cut. Keep on coming with the recipes!

>> No.6394018

>>6394000
Will do! I should note this yielded 8 servings the way I plated it . . . . including the sides that's under $10 a plate! It fed 5, because three big hungry guys had two servings each (and then couldn't move). That's actually not bad at all price wise, and I'm NOT kidding when I say this would be a $50+ entree at a restaurant.

One guest had traveled the world and said it was better than lamb dishes she'd had at Michelin starred restaurants. I don't know about that and certainly won't claim its true, but I do know it is one of the most succulent, flavorful plates of food I've ever had in my life.

>> No.6394029

Looks really good OP. I would have toasted that bread, though.

>> No.6394033
File: 71 KB, 528x960, lambshoulderpic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wow, one of my guests took a picture I like a lot better than mine.

Also I should note that when selecting your shoulder do not be tempted to go for larger ones! Stay in the 5lb range. They are bigger because they come from older animals, and will be tougher and have a more mutton-y flavor.

>> No.6394051

>>6394018
Good to know. Maybe ill cook for my parents after i finish finals coming up here. Thank you very much!

>> No.6394114

>>6394029
I debated that, but it was nice and warm out of the oven and I wanted maximum sopping potential!

>> No.6394156

>>6393782
Damn. I wish I had friends who enjoyed cooking like you, that looks absolutely amazing.

>> No.6394225

>>6394156
Oh it was, heh. Cooking is both my hobby and stress reliever.

But in terms of difficulty this recipe is really only 3/10 tops. There are no fancy techniques or even knife skills involved! Anybody can do it, time does the work for you. If you follow the instructions and tips it will come out perfectly every time.

For the asparagus I used Alton Brown's method of wrapping it in a damp paper towel and microwaving. Find it on YouTube, it really is so simple a kid could do it.

The wine I used was a California Pinot Grigio. You don't want a wine that's too assertive, sweet, or fruity . . . . the idea is to just add that little bit extra without overtaking the lamb. Doesn't have to be fancy, the bottle cost me $5.99 on sale. As always never cook with wine you wouldn't drink . . . . and what is left serve with the meal!

>> No.6394250

>>6392894

M E L B O U R N E
A
R
R
Y

M
E

>> No.6394287
File: 2.41 MB, 3264x2448, shoulder12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

One more picture I had forgotten to post.

After all the meat is removed you will have fat and bones. A LOT of bones in all shapes and sizes. There is serious flavor here if you want to extract it in the form of a roasted bone stock.

Google Gordon Ramsey's recipe for lamb bone stock (4chan says its spam if I try to copy the link, meh). It's the one I use.

Just keep the bones around in the fridge or freezer until you have a nice slow day off. Some might say it's not worth the time or effort, but I think it is! Really elevates a lot of dishes, and why let all that flavor go to waste.

>> No.6394290

>>6394250
I'm confused . . . are you saying you're in Melbourne and want to marry me?

>> No.6394586

We smoked our first lamb shoulder for Easter on Sunday. 5lb shoulder, after subtracting bones and fat, yielded roughly 2lbs of meat.

There were so many different cuts, that even cooking was impossible. Had we kept it low and slow (~225 for 7+hrs), this would have been fantastic. But a late start meant that we only had 4 hours, and that wasn't enough time at 275. Parts of the shoulder pulled apart brilliantly, whereas others were tough and needed slicing (not what we were ultimately going for).

>> No.6395470

>>6394586
Dang man, that sucks. That's why I recommend a braise, it really helps the heat get into the meat evenly.