[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 28 KB, 406x305, stirfry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6364060 No.6364060 [Reply] [Original]

hello. Tonight I'll try my first stir-fry.
My ingredients of choice are frozen broccolis, frozen mix with mushrooms and veggies, onions and chicken.

So what I'm gonna do is:
place oil in pan
cook the chicken until not pink anymore
remove chicken keep oil in the pan
put broccoli make them cook for a while
put mushrooms make them cook for a while
put onions and chicken together
put soy sauce
wait for soy sauce to evaporate
add noodles cooked separately (optional)

Am I wrong somewhere or this should be it?
I'm kind of afraid the initial oil will not be enough for the stir-frying of all the veggies. Should I add more oil in between? Or soy sauce? or water?

>> No.6364092

>>6364060
You can add more oil if you think it's not enough
You can add water if ou think the veggies are undercooked.
Also I like adding the onions before everything else, not in the end.

>> No.6364094

My suggestions would be cornstarching up the chicken so high heat gets it a bit crispy on the outside, steaming the frozen vegetables before adding them towards the end, and clearing the pan of chicken before adding in the onions to make sure you don't crowd the pan.

>> No.6364100

>>6364092
wouldn't the onions end burned since the broccoli should take a long time to cook?

>>6364094
I'm defrosting the vegetables (took them outside the freezer 2 hours ago), I don't have cornstarch atm and I thought keeping the chicken oil was intended for the stirfrying.

>> No.6364121

>>6364100
>wouldn't the onions end burned since the broccoli should take a long time to cook?

No, especially not because you plan to use frozen broccoli which is pre-cooked anyway before it gets frozen.

I would do oil, garlic, ginger, spices, chicken. Cook cheicken until it's still just barely pink, remove.

A bit more oil, some more garlic, ginger, spices, onion. Cook onion until translucent, add the veggies, cook until they're warmed through, add the meat back in, add whatever sauce, cook for a couple more minutes and you're good to go. Add noodles at the end or serve over rice.

>> No.6364122

>>6364100
No.
Well if you're not sure just blanch the broccoli first, or add water so it 's parrtly boiling/steaming.

My method is
heat up oil
garlic and onion
veggies in
after 30 seconds or so add water
season
cover for 1 minute or so
serve

>> No.6364204

>>6364060
OMFG NO, not frozen vegetables!!!

Throw them out. Buy fresh ones. You should also get an onion, about 1/2 of an onionwill do, and cut it into pieces about 1 inch square (about the same size as your broccoli pieces).

The whole point of stir frying is to have the oil really really hot so it sears the outside of the food, allows the moisture inside of the food to steam it with no loss of flavor and a slight change of texture.

So heat the oil, you should cut the chicken up and marinate it in a little soysauce and corn starch first for abt 20 minutes before you put it in the pan. Then remove it and cook the onions, and the broc.

You can add some things from cans maybe.... like water chestnuts and the like, but the dish will not come out well if you have only frozen vegetables.They will get mushy and they are tasteless to start with

As to the sauce: try 2T soy sauce miced with about 1 T of cornstarch and stirred to a paste. Then add a little more soy till you have 3 T soy sauce. Add 1/4 to 1/2 c. chicken broth to the pan. Then carefully stir in the soy mixture. Let it thicken a little then add a few drops sesame oil and/or hot seasoning of your choice.

OK? ;- )

PS if you find shitake mushrooms by all means use those. But remember the main ingredients should be fresh things.

>> No.6364363
File: 808 KB, 2256x1496, stirfry1stattemptfailed.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6364121
>>6364122
>>6364204

Thanks for the help, I took note of all your suggestions.

So first of all let me say I probably didn't make a stir-fry. The broccoli took forever to cook (I defrosted them and cut them in smaller pieces, still no luck) and overall the cooking of all the pieces took like 10 minutes, maybe more. definitely longer of the usual stir-frying times I've read around.

I have no idea how a stir-fry should taste. I'm from country europe and not even ethnic restaurants here have stir-fry plates. So I can't really judge the taste of mine compared to what it should be, but it didn't left me THAT disappointed.

I thought that maybe I'm off track here. I'm looking for an easy way to integrate chicken with veggies, thought stir-fry was it but maybe I should find a cooking method that involves grilling instead of frying (i'm a duck-impaired fitizen) and eventually carbs (as rice or noodles). Does somebody have ideas on this matter?

That said, thanks for the help /ck/.