[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 119 KB, 580x630, 1426605248744.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6349973 No.6349973 [Reply] [Original]

What's your opinion on boiling chicken in a marinade?

There are people who claim it causes food born illnesses.
I thought boiling killed all germs.

>> No.6349978

>>6349973
>I thought boiling killed all germs.

You are correct. You don't want to consume a "raw" marinade since it was in contact with the uncooked meat. However if you cook the marinade then sure, you could eat it without safety concerns.

That being said, I still wouldn't do what you are describing. Why?
1) Boiling chicken doesn't brown it. And browning = flavor. So pick a different cooking method--something that will actually brown the chicken. Grill, broil, saute, etc.

2) Most marinades are very strongly flavored (at least they are if they are worth a damn). It's not going to taste very good to serve it as a soup. You could use the marinade to make a sauce or something though, just don't make it a major part of the dish.

>> No.6349981

>>6349973
I've worked in a few different restaurants.
At one job, boiling the chicken in a broth was the best way to warm it up on the fly.
At another job, the manager freaked out claiming it causes botulism, etc. and started punching things bc I boiled the chicken.

>> No.6349997

>>6349978
That makes sense. I need to cook off 12lbs of chicken, so I just boiled it in the marinade it soaked in before cooking.
However, the manager claimed that causes germs, and it was going to be salty to the extent it that was ruined.
You're saying, the second part may be true, but it's not going to kill people like he claimed?

>> No.6350002

>>6349997
Not the person you quoted, but it would be best to cook the chicken separately as the juices will flow into the marinade as well making it extra saucy (maybe not a bad thing).

Its not going to kill people as long as temps hit 170>. Maybe more if you're anal.

>> No.6350004

>>6349997

Your manager is an idiot. If you cooked the chicken in the marinade then it was safe to eat. Assuming you got it cooled down promptly after you cooked it then there is no extra risk of food poisoning, etc.

It might be too salty but it's not going to hurt anyone.

>> No.6350028

>>6350002
Thanks.
I thought the whole botulism thing was just regurgitated garbage.
I didn't find much doing a search except anything heated to 240+ was safe.
170+ being safe sounds reasonable to me.
I'm trying to argue with a "culinary student" though

>> No.6350031

>>6350028
>I'm trying to argue with a "culinary student" though

Lol.

Ask him why raw chicken is safe to eat after being cooked, but for some reason the same logic doesn't apply to the marinade.

>>240+
that's talking about sterilization for canning, not for normal cooking.

>> No.6350127
File: 10 KB, 144x145, tmntre1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6350004
>Your manager is an idiot.
yeah, I think so too. It's a simple kitchen. Mexican menu; chicken and beef as far as raw meats.
However, bc he's a "culinary expert that's been doing this for 10 years," he's parroting something he remembers from culinary school, which he prolly didn't even finish.
TFW he's still my boss and an "experienced chef", so I'm up against the biggest ego you can imagine.

>> No.6350161
File: 1.37 MB, 245x170, s0phie003.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6350127
Also, tfw pretty sure Ima get fured over this whole boiling chicken fiasco.

>> No.6350289
File: 31 KB, 500x390, tumblr_mnmldxgsZX1ro7f22o1_500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I boil chicken leg quarters in a mix of water, vinegar, salt and hot sauce before grilling because I hate biting into a thigh or leg and the meat close to the bone is raw or bloody. I don't mean boiled to falling off the bone, just about 25 min. then grill basting with sauce of your choice. I despise going to a church or other fund raising event, or backyard barbeque, and some "master of the grill" puts raw chicken on a grill, gas or charcoal, and proceeds to coat with sweet bottled sauce, then burn it black in 10 min and pronounce it done That is when I suddenly become vegetarian, eating what ever sides available.