[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 190 KB, 500x470, 1425642741751.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6295518 No.6295518 [Reply] [Original]

>superior-quality ingredients
>fresh homemade original dough
>all-natural sauce made from
>fresh-packed, vine-riped tomatoes
>100% real meats and cheese
>freshest vegetables available

I'm pretty sick of these marketing buzzwords. And these are all just on this one pizza box.

Does this bother anyone else here? That we have to tell people our food is real or fresh, because it's no longer the norm? Even worse, we tell people this when our food really isn't real or fresh sometimes.

>> No.6295519

It pops out

If you saw two cereal boxes, both the same but too different logos, but one said "FRESH AND REAL" on it, it's likely you'll buy that one.

>> No.6295520

>>6295518
Vine ripened is legit But the best are basically devoid 9 useful information.

>> No.6295523

>Does this bother anyone else here? That we have to tell people our food is real or fresh, because it's no longer the norm?

i'm willing to bet that your lifetime is less than the amount of time it hasn't been 'the norm'

as if it ever was

>> No.6295524

>>6295519
>it's likely you'll buy that one.

If I'm the kind of person that falls for that. I could also be the kind of guy who buys food after I research to see if it's even any good, or check it out myself. But there really are a ton of people who fall for these marketing ploys. I think it's kinda sad, because it means it's easy to sell the average person practically anything with health claims.

>> No.6295526
File: 42 KB, 550x412, papa-john-s-pizza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They change it up sometimes.

>> No.6295531

>>6295519
It's funny because I'd never associate Papa Johns with any of those words. And I'm sure many people feel the same way.

Does doing this for something as blatant as Papa Johns have any effect at all? Does a hamplanet walk into Papa Johns, read "fresh real vegetables made Just For You®™©" and think "ooh! goody!"?

When it comes to cereal and some other packaged goods, I can see why they have their effect. But there's a lot where this marketing is just there to filter out the bottom feeders and snatch them, is how I see it.

>> No.6295564

>>6295518
no because I'm not some autistic fuck, and I understand marketing

>> No.6295565

Papa John's seems to have been slowly coming to the UK and now there's one in my town, is it worth giving a shot or should I stick with the local pizza place (which is pretty damn great pizza).

>> No.6295572
File: 100 KB, 380x372, stock-photo-39364876-little-caesars-pizza-box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No but this makes me mad, I mean you could probably make it so McDonalds gets voted "favorite burger of the entire world" just because it's the one most commonly eaten.

Makes it seem like Detroit just has shit taste in pizza to other places who get Little Ceasars and see this box, when in reality there are lots of VERY good places to get pizza in Detroit area

>> No.6295577

>>6295518
You forgot
>gluten free onions

>> No.6295583

>>6295565

it probably won't be better than a local place. i haven't eaten it for about three years but i seem to remember it being marginally better than pizza hut or dominos.

>> No.6295589

>>6295518
I once bought some canned soup without looking closely enough on the tin, when I later opened it up I found it was empty. Did you know what it said on the tin? It was a fucking imaginary soup.

Ever since that happened I always make sure to check that it says the food is real on the package.

>> No.6295591

>>6295565
>no don't try it, it'd insult your local pizza place if they see you

>> No.6295595

>>6295518
What the hell is the definition of "homemade" here anyway?

>> No.6295598

>>6295518

There's a 87% chance your pizza was made by a sick person when you order form Pappa Johns (he's a Obama care hater).

Enjoy your sick pizza.

>> No.6295601

>>6295565
My wife is American, so when a Papa Johns opened up here ("here" being 5 miles away) she insisted we drive across town to pick some up.

It was one of the worst pizzas I've ever eaten. We haven't been back since.

>> No.6295606

>>6295598
You do realize pizzas get ran through an oven, right?

>> No.6295613

>>6295519
>>6295531
Actually, on this subject.
Does anyone ever actually feel persuaded by marketing?

I mean, sometimes I'll try something because it seems it would fit in with my personal tastes, but I haven't really seen a commercial or pop-up and said "I need one of those".

The one exception, I would say is coupons.
If I'm going to be ordering pizza anyway and your company comes around with a coupon book, its just convenient to order from that location until the book runs out. Or in the same sense, its convenient to get a bunch of $5 pizzas from Little Caesars, because its cheaper than getting everyone their own burger and fries and we can eat it sitting around the table.

But, for example, I don't walk into a store and say "Gotta get some Brawny paper towels, because only they have the special absorption technology that a lumberjack like me needs to clean up my coffee stains".

Its kind of the same thing with the stunt Olive Garden pulled on reddit a while back. Where they do a video and just say "Olive Garden" as much as possible. "Hey, you guys want some creamy and delicious chicken alfredo?"
Who does that actually appeal to?

>> No.6295616
File: 20 KB, 288x290, 1387175913774.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6295606
You know what else gets ran through an oven?

>> No.6295617

>>6295606

Sick people touch boxes, napkins, pop bottles, money, etc. They sneeze and cough on the pizzas after they been ran through the oven.

What are you? A child?

>> No.6295628

>>6295616

this is just wrong
lol

>> No.6295634

It's funny, since Papa John's was even the defendant in a famous court case that went all the way to the Supreme Court. Pizza Hut sued them for lying about using better quality ingredients, and Papa John's defense was that all their claims were just marketing 'puffery'. In the end, Papa John's won, so now they're just exercising their constitutionally protected right to lie to customers.

>> No.6295637

>>6295606

Sick people have to take your pizza out of the oven too.

>> No.6295638

>>6295634
You'd think that would completely wreck their business model.

>> No.6295639

>Large Papa Johns Pizza
>£20.49 ($31.14)

kek.

>> No.6295644

>>6295613

the cash point near my place had an ad on the idle screen with a picture of cheese on toast, probably selling cheese or something. that week everyone of my housemates had cheese on toast like 3 times, pretty sure it wwas the first time in a ouple of years any of us had had it.

>> No.6295650

>>6295617
>>6295637

Sorry but either way you guys are fools, most people who have to work a job at any pizza place or restaurant will come to work sick either way because muh pay check, people fight over hours every day they're not gonna take the day off over the flue.

>> No.6295651

>>6295644
Things like that, for impulse items, does work. However if the advert had been for a specific brand of cheese, do you think you would have noticed and then gone out of your way to buy that cheese? Unlikely.

>> No.6295653
File: 33 KB, 500x345, Welsh-Rabbit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6295644
Actually, that's both mildly convincing and alarming.

>> No.6295654

>>6295638
>make crappy pizza
>claim it's better than the competition
>laugh all the way to the bank

Seems like it completely validates their business model

>> No.6295655

>>6295565
Yeh its pretty sick, i prefer it to dominos and pizza hut by a okay margin. The sides in dominos are better, pizza has to go to papa johns though

What is your local pizza place? Is it actually an independent shop or just a kebab/pizza shop?

I personally get papa johns if i have a good deal but if not i stick to the local one.

Dont listen to what burgers have to say about chains everything in the UK is different so the brands arent comparable.

>> No.6295656

>>6295654
I mean, it seems like having a case that goes to the supreme court where you admit that your marketing is a lie would be bad.

>> No.6295662

On another note, it annoys the shit out of me when there's two similar products with only a slightly different meaningless descriptions.
>shampoo
>fresh
>awakening

>> No.6295670

>>6295656

As long as you have no shame and are willing to run millions of dollars of ads claiming you're better even after admitting you're not in court, it'll work out fine. More people watch tv than read supreme court rulings.

>> No.6295674

>>6295662
Especially since most people are either going to buy
>The cheaper one
>The one they always buy.

Actually, I'll admit, one time I almost bought a type of shampoo that wasn't my regular kind, just because the bottle had pictures of bears on it. Then I smelled it and went back to my usual purchase.

>> No.6295681

>>6295651

only if it was a fairly unique, memorable product like boursin or something. not saying boursin is good but i could definitely see myself saying 'fuck i'm craving boursin for some reason'

>> No.6295685

>>6295589
How is this not made up? How the hell can you pick up an empty can of anything, and not tell it's empty the moment you pick it up?

>> No.6295694

>>6295531
>Does a hamplanet walk into Papa Johns, read "fresh real vegetables made Just For You®™©" and think "ooh! goody!"?

They use the vegetables thing to justify having a pizza in the first place.

>> No.6295697

>>6295613
I still know people who think the PS4 is a super charged console that PCs will take years to even begin to be able to match.

>> No.6295698
File: 22 KB, 480x360, thatsthejoke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6295685

>homemade
>real

So, which word is more indicative of marketing bullshit? I think homemade since it's an obvious lie while real is just an obvious tautology.

>> No.6295699

>>6295685

man

giving you the benefit of the doubt here

engage your brain

>> No.6295704
File: 25 KB, 500x375, 24780318_64dec3716c.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Advertising causes need.

Or rather, the perception of it, which for most people is illusion enough to convince them.

>> No.6295705

>>6295655
aye, plus independent pizza shops in the UK are generally shit-tier kebab/pizza shops like you say.

You don't get local shops making decent pizza for take-away very often here.

>> No.6295712

>>6295518
>Superior
Means nothing
>Fresh homemade dough
It implies they knead and spin it in the shop, as opposed to the way pizza hut used to just reheat frozen pizzas
>all natural
Meh
>vine ripened
is real
>100% real
As opposed to reformed meat
>freshest veg
Means nothing.
Mixed bag, marketing is normal

>> No.6295726

>>6295565
I don't know about Papa Johns in the UK, but Dominos in the UK is pretty good. Not any better or worse than the US one, just different. I would give it a try.

>> No.6295732
File: 91 KB, 251x358, soundwave_superior_by_kreevox-d5zgbgs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6295712
>Superior
>Means nothing

I beg to differ

>> No.6295742

>all these people thinking vine ripened tomatoes means anything

The only reason not to vine ripen tomatoes is to better survive storage and transport for sale as produce. Pizza places always use canned tomatoes, which are always picked ripe since they are just going to get canned immediately.

>> No.6295987

Personally I think Papa Johns is disgusting garbage, almost inedible. I prefer it to Domino's but that isn't saying much.

Pizza Hut grinds all other pizza multinationals into the dirt, because of the pan pizza.

>> No.6296002

Who else is tired of seeing Papa Johns' face on every box? To me, that's a worse offender than the buzzwords. I mean, what a fucking self-important fuck—it's like like you see the face of other pizza place owners on their fucking boxes, even if their name is also in the name of the restaurant.

>> No.6296008

I liked Papa Johns, and I guess I still do, but the last time I ordered from them, they forgot to cut my pizza and I called them up to tell them and they were just like "You can just cut it with a knife while giggling" and I don't have any knives, so I was kind of mad. I mean, I figured the whole reason they did not cut the pizza was because they figured I was fat and just going to eat the pizza myself anyway. Stupid kids. They did not even offer me a replacement or coupon or anything.

>> No.6296014

>>6295524
>it's easy to sell the average person practically anything with health claims.
That's because people only have so much mental energy they're willing to devote to thinking about food, and they're really just looking to tick off a box in their mind that says "healthy". If you can give them just enough reason to consider your product healthy at a moment's glance they will buy it. Look at Chipotle - they're selling fast food burritos at premium prices, but people line up because they think it's healthier than fast food.
>>6295634
>Papa John's defense was that all their claims were just marketing 'puffery'. In the end, Papa John's won, so now they're just exercising their constitutionally protected right to lie to customers
In the end the consumer deserves what they settle for. If you're eating pizza from a chain you really can't defend what you get. The fact that it's crap is a foregone conclusion.
>>6295742
This. Also I'm surprised they failed to work the word "authentic" into their copy.

>> No.6296020

>>6296014
>they're selling fast food burritos at premium prices, but people line up because they think it's healthier than fast food.

How so? I eat at Chipotle sometimes. I don't harbor any delusions that it's "healthy" or "good for the environment" or any of that silly shit. It's none of the above.

On the other hand, the difference in quality between Chipotle and most "fast food" is pretty fucking obvious. You can see into the kitchen and the food is actually prepared on site. They make their own salsa, from scratch, constantly throughout the day. They cook the meats right there in front of you. I don't understand how people can think that's comparable to most fast food where the ingredients were prepared in a factory a thousand miles away and then reheated in a microwave when they serve you. s it haute cuisine? Of course not. But it's clearly a lot better than, say, taco bell.

>> No.6296021

>>6295518

made by sick people

>> No.6296026

>>6296021
That's racist

>> No.6296052

>>6296020
>On the other hand, the difference in quality between Chipotle and most "fast food" is pretty fucking obvious
In that the ingredients are recognizable. A few are even fresh. But it's still mostly the same garbage all other fast food is made from. This is evidenced by the fact that the salt, fat and calories of their menu line up with any other fast food joint.
>But it's clearly a lot better than, say, taco bell.
I'd like to think that. But I really think it's advertising. Taco Bell targets a younger, mainly male demographic. Chipotle is trying to be more grown up and female friendly. In a blind taste test I doubt Chipotle would be obviously better than Taco Bell's more expensive menu items. Because they're really not that different from one another.

>> No.6296061

>>6296008
You don't own any knives? You're frequenting a cooking message board and you don't own a single knife?

>> No.6296071

>>6296061
>replying to copypasta

>> No.6296073

>>6296052
>But it's still mostly the same garbage all other fast food is made from

Sure, the ingredients may be the same but the fact that the food was cooked the day I bought it rather than six weeks ago is a massive improvement, no contest.

>>This is evidenced by the fact that the salt, fat and calories of their menu line up with any other fast food joint.

That is certainly true from a health perspective--which is why I said that the "health claims" of Chipotle are BS. But that doesn't say anything about the quality of the ingredients used. A piece of chicken breast from a battery hen has the same nutritional content as a free-range heritage breed. Those statistics can tell you about health, but they say nothing about taste or quality.

>>Because they're really not that different from one another.

Well, except for the part that one was freshly cooked and the other was microwaved.

>> No.6296076

>>6295518

had it once

will never get a pizza from this puny ego maniac again

plus I heard people who work in his stores can't call in sick

they have to come to work sick
don't want no sick pizza

>> No.6296085

>>6295742

>The only reason not to vine ripen tomatoes is to better survive storage and transport for sale as produce.

might it not save time by allowing you to move onto growing a second batch of tomatoes faster?

>> No.6296087

Speaking of salt, I can't eat Papa John's without drinking about a gallon of ice water during and after. This is coming from a lard ass who eats all kinds of packaged, salty foods and fast food.

I don't eat at Papa John's because I don't like the dough. It sucks for them, because I live less than a mile from one. It's just three right turns and up a hill.

>> No.6296090

>>6295520
Not really useful since that just means the tomatoes are canned, which is necessary for tomato sauce anyway.

I guess "homemade dough" kinda means something since there are sad pizza places that don't make their own dough.

>> No.6296096

>>6296073
I really think you're splitting hairs, and not in a particularly meaningful way. Let's compare apples to apples. A menu item from Taco Bell that compares to a burrito from Chipotle would be the XXL Grilled Stuffed Steak Burrito. What's in it? "Grilled, marinated premium thick cut steak, a three cheese blend, premium Latin rice, hearty beans, reduced-fat sour cream, chunky guacamole, avocado ranch and pico de gallo, wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla." Aside from the fact that you know the guacamole is shit, how different does that sound from Chipotle? Sounds like exactly the same shit.

>> No.6296097

>>6295531
>Does a hamplanet walk into Papa Johns, read "fresh real vegetables made Just For You®™©" and think "ooh! goody!"?
Yep

>> No.6296098

>>6296090
>being this wrong about everything
Do you just go around pretending to know what you're talking about? Making wild assumptions and bad guesses?

>> No.6296101

>>6296098
Tell me what it really means, then.

>> No.6296104

>>6295518
My boxes just say
>Breddy gud pisza!

>> No.6296107

>>6295518
Jesus Christ I hate putting that chunky sauce on the garlic parm sticks. That shit looks, smells, and tastes nasty.

>> No.6296119
File: 132 KB, 472x532, 1424709140836.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6295518
>Authentic
This word triggers me

>> No.6296121

>>6296014
>Look at Chipotle - they're selling fast food burritos at premium prices, but people line up because they think it's healthier than fast food.
Isn't it? The ingredients are closer to actual produce. There are fewer additives and preformed materials.

It tastes good though, that's the main reason to eat it.

>> No.6296123

>>6295518
>superior-quality ingredients

yeah no you fuck, they never have released there ingredient list

>> No.6296127

>>6296052
Fast food is made from soy and molded animal anuses drenched in corn syrup and cottonseed oil.

>> No.6296136

>>6296073
Quality IS health, in a more subtle way. The same amount of soybean oil and olive oil might have the same amount of calories but that doesn't mean the effect on the body is the same. I think decades of obsessive calorie counting have caused Americans to forget this.

>> No.6296138

>>6295518
>>superior-quality

stopped reading there

>> No.6296140

>>6296101
Vine-ripened means what it means. Instead of the tomatoes being picked prematurely, they are allowed to ripen and then canned immediately. Tomato sauce does not require canned tomatoes. You can make it from fresh tomatoes.

Fresh tomatoes you find in the store are typically picked while green, and then are matured with ethylene gas while en route to the supermarket. It is legal to sell these as vine ripened assuming the vine is attached during maturation, but canned tomato companies do not do this because there is absolutely zero benefit since they're not concerned with long-distance transportation and shelf-life.

The FDA does not regulate the term "homemade". Dough can be produced in a factory, frozen, and shipped to the stores and still be labelled as homemade.

>> No.6296144

>>6296121
see
>>6296096

>> No.6296148

>>6296140
>You can make it from fresh tomatoes.
You can but it requires a million steps and lots of time. They're not cooking marinara in the back of the Papa John's. It most likely comes in a vat.

>it is legal to sell these as vine ripened assuming the vine is attached during maturation
Didn't know that. That would make it feasible to have fresh "vine-ripened" tomatoes lying around. I guess it depends on whether they're referring to the sauce or the chopped tomatoes that can be ordered as a topping.

>> No.6296157

>>6296144
I don't think he understands how processed even the meat, beans, or guac at Taco Bell actually are. Those ingredients are pumped full of filler and preservatives and come in a tube.
>a squirt o' meat, a squirt o' cheese, a squirt o' lettuce

Guacamole for example is extremely fragile and that's why Chipotle makes it every day from actual avocados. A Taco Bell employee has possibly never seen an avocado in his or her life.

>> No.6296177

>>6296157
>I don't think he understands how processed even the meat, beans, or guac at Taco Bell actually are
Just as processed as the sour cream, cheese, tortillas and beans are at Chipotle. And I wager their grilled steak is pretty much the same, unless you're at one of the handful of locations that actually has grass fed beef.

Yes, the guacamole at Taco Bell is crap, as are most of their budget menu items. But when you get to their more expensive options the wide gulf of perceived "quality" between the two turns out to be mostly a matter of that guacamole. Everything else is pretty fucking close.

>> No.6296184

>>6296177
Fuck off with your misinformation

*Chipotle* Beans, Black
Black Beans , Water, Yellow Onion, Chipotle Chile, Rice Bran Oil, Cumin, Garlic, Black Pepper, Salt, Oregano, Bay Leaf, Citrus Juice

>> No.6296186

>>6296177
Ridiculous

*Chipotle* Cheese, Monterey Jack
Pasteurized Milk , Starter Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes

>> No.6296188

>>6296184
okay now what about Taco Hell?

>> No.6296189

>>6296177
internet

*chipotle* Sour Cream
Grade A Cultured Milk , Cream, Nonfat Dry Milk Solids

>> No.6296191

>>6296188
I was support chipotle, while simuntaneously doing the opposite for taco bell. you'll get zero argument from me there, sir.

>> No.6296193

>>6296177
Have you not seen them grilling the steak and slicing it right behind the counter?

>> No.6296195

>>6296177
We're getting into a grey area when we're talking ingredients that can't be made on site anyway, like cheese. Taco Bell's cheese is so powdery and plasticky, I'm pretty sure it's not "real", regular cheese. I guess what I'm saying is there are always ways to cut costs and reduce the quality of ingredients you thought were unreducible whole foods. They depend on you thinking this. People tend not to understand what the potential mystery ingredients are, so of course they have faith that meat is meat and cheese is cheese. What about meat product with TVP in it? Is that the same meat as a roasted piece of pork?

>> No.6296197

>>6296186
>>6296189
>>6296191
>>6296193
Proof of just how well advertizing works.

>> No.6296199

>>6296191
I was asking for the Taco Bell ingredient list for the same item, for comparison. I'm not really arguing for either.

In the case of beans I don't know Chipotle's procedure. Beans are tough to cook so I dunno if they do much to them on site in comparison to the Bell.

>> No.6296204

>>6296197
how are those posts related?

>> No.6296206

>>6296195
>What about meat product with TVP in it? Is that the same meat as a roasted piece of pork?
My example was not the ground beef taco meat at TB. That shit is total garbage. What I'm saying is that by the time you get to the grilled, marinated steak from either place you're getting pretty much the same thing, and are kidding yourself if you think otherwise.

>> No.6296222

>>6296204
Chipotle, you illiterate cunt.

>> No.6296228

>>6296206
In that case we still gotta deem Chipotle superior, because they don't even serve the mystery meat as a default option.

Also it depends on how much of a stickler you wanna be. Like you said only a couple Chipotles serve grass-fed meat but their mere awareness of this might mean their standards for meat animals are generally higher. This can have a tangible effect on quality.

>> No.6296235

>>6296222
i don't see the anon giving ingredient lists or observing food being prepared as proof of being swayed by advertising.

>> No.6296241

>>6296235
They're pointing out how using buzzwords makes people pay extra for Chipotle.

>> No.6296243

>>6296197
What's an ad have to do with me seeing the Chipotle workers prep all of the food right before me?

>> No.6296249

I'm more weirded out by the fact that John has to have is face fucking everywhere in his stores. It creeps me out

>> No.6296255

>>6296228
>Chipotles serve grass-fed meat but their mere awareness of this might mean their standards for meat animals are generally higher. This can have a tangible effect on quality.
This has a tangible effect on the perception of quality, to be sure.
>>6296241
this

>> No.6296261

>>6296241
I don't see any buzzwords unless you're unfamiliar with the ingredients of regular cheese

To be fair I've never personally seen a commercial for Chipotle. I don't see what buzzwords they use, if any. I have merely looked up the ingredient list on their website and personally looked at the ingredients in the place.

>> No.6296270

>>6296255
I'm sorry you think this, man. The raising, diet, and handling of meat does make a difference. In texture, and flavor, and nutritional profile. It even affects the safety, which can necessitate more flavor-destroying processing like irradiation. Cows get Mad Cow Disease from an incorrect diet, for example, which can then be passed on to you. It's tangible.

>> No.6296288

>>6296261
>I've never personally seen a commercial for Chipotle
There aren't really any. I mean, there was that "choosing farms and saving the planet" short thing that they made, but it's not exactly a commercial.

All over their store and their bags, they print those buzzwords. To make it seem more "grass roots," "local," and "cool," they essentially employ their customers to advertise via word of mouth. It has worked very well for them, and I've seen quite a few places locally in Boston attempting the same strategy with varying levels of success.

>> No.6296296

>>6296270
>The raising, diet, and handling of meat does make a difference.
I agree with you completely. I just don't buy into the Chipotle bait and switch - giving lipservice to grass fed and humanely (and locally) raised meat, then serving the same foodservice grade meat as Taco Bell at all but a handful of their locations.
>>6296261
>To be fair I've never personally seen a commercial for Chipotle. I don't see what buzzwords they use, if any.
Their posturing is so extreme it's almost surreal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMfSGt6rHos

>> No.6296297

>>6296288
My question would be, are those words as meaningless as the "superior ingredients" and "fresh" of Papa John's. I mean as had been said, they admitted those words are complete puffery. Lies, basically.

Doesn't Chipotle have actual programs in place to use ingredients produced within X mile radius of each store? That's local, for real. Not a buzzword.

That's a little better if they've got policies to support their puffery.

>> No.6296299
File: 655 KB, 682x837, 1348245939743.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6296304
File: 157 KB, 682x1024, 1409781891165.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6295613
People like to claim that "advertising doesn't work on me!"
When it's really just, most commercials and advertisements don't catch your interest. When the fuck am I in the kitchen? I never cook, those gadgets won't convince me to buy them.

But I'll see an advertisement for like, "kids day at the liquor store" and I gotta get in on that and see some cutie kids. That advertisement worked on me because I'm into that. I was looking for some fun, they showed me something fun coming up, I went for it.

They didn't convince you to buy something you didn't want or need, you just wanted to spend money, so you bought that useless knife set or those enormous plus sized bras.

>> No.6296309

>>6295518

>Does this bother anyone else here? That we have to tell people our food is real or fresh, because it's no longer the norm? Even worse, we tell people this when our food really isn't real or fresh sometimes.

I think about this shit all the time, OP. I discussed this exact issue with my mother when it came to a cheese package she bought that said "made with REAL cheese!".

When it gets to that point you have to stand back and reevaluate what you choose to eat in life.

>> No.6296311

>>6296296
I see what you mean. But you could be overreacting to the inherent emotionalism of advertising.

The bad things mentioned in the video (factory farms, routine antibiotic use, pollution) exist because animal farms are too fucking big. If Chipotle really is taking steps to use meat from smaller farms, they're not flat out lying with that video. Just using an emotional appeal.

I'd prefer it if no businesses used emotional appeals, but in the end they've gotta sell their product, whether or not it helps the environment at all.

>> No.6296313

>>6296297
>That's a little better if they've got policies to support their puffery.
Chipotle has a few token examples of supporting their policies, but only at a handful of places, and only some of the time. But they crow about it like fuck, perpetuating the illusion that one is likely to find them at the Chipotle near you, which is rarely the case.

I'd say that kind of bait and switch is actually worse than puffery, because puffery is easier to spot and not take seriously.

>> No.6296316

>>6295531
>>6295526
>>6295518
One of the things I like to see while watching TV are those pizza place commercials. Say, a few years ago when Dominoes was doing its "we suck, we listened, here's our new thing" ads with the garlic crust. They had scenes where there were people in kitchen whites with the tall chef hats, there were cutting boards out with ingredients and they tried so hard to make the kitchen look like a home kitchen.

If you go into a pizza place, they'll probably have pictures up on the wall of freshly cut tomatoes and a jar of seasonings next to it, or a selection of cheeses splayed out like a hand of playing cards. Then you look behind the counter and see the guy in the blue shirt and the visor put a bunch of shredded cheese into a machine and dump it out so it measures perfectly.

>> No.6296318
File: 34 KB, 340x270, 1411203779442.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6296309
What's wrong with eating or enjoying something that isn't "REAL" ?

>> No.6296328

>>6296318
Nothing, if you do so on purpose. That cheez is tasty.

I suppose it's not immoral to feed consumers cheez when they are only familiar with cheese and don't understand the gypping that's happening to them. Because the consumer could always read the ingredient list. But it's sad we've grown so used to it that real cheese is now a selling point.

>> No.6296331

>>6296297
>Doesn't Chipotle have actual programs in place to use ingredients produced within X mile radius of each store? That's local, for real. Not a buzzword.
Let's take this to /biz/ for a minute here, stay with me.

Let's say there's a company that so effectively uses its employees that the culmination of their work is far greater than the combination of what they could do individually. That's synergy. It's literally what that word means.

If that same company says to a potential client "We value synergy," then they are still using a fucking buzzword that should have died in 1995.

My point is: it doesn't matter if it's true or a lie. They're still god damned buzzwords and I hate them.

>> No.6296333

>>6296311
>If Chipotle really is taking steps to use meat from smaller farms, they're not flat out lying with that video. Just using an emotional appeal.
And the truth is that I would rather eat the kind of meat Chipotle is promoting in that video. I'm just not likely to find it at a Chipotle unless I'm lucky enough to live near one of the very few locations that actually gets meat from such an idyllic local farm. At most Chipotles they're selling factory farmed meat, while using the emotional appeal of videos like this to push the idea that it isn't.

That's fucking disgusting.

>> No.6296335

>>6296328
And that's not even considering the fact that the real cheese you can buy in the store today is far inferior to the cheese your great-grandparents ate. So it's two levels of degredation. And the majority of people will never know this no matter what, because the ingredient list still says "milk".

>> No.6296337

I like food. I eat the food I like and that's that.
why is this so hard?

>> No.6296342

>>6296335
I don't know that it's inferior to the cheese they ate. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's better. I'd rather have indoor plumbing than an outhouse.

Somebody would have to make the cheese the old way and let me have a bite for me to know that it's better. As far as I know, cheese really is just made from milk and mass producing it doesn't mean it's not milk anymore.

>> No.6296352

>>6296333
>At most Chipotles they're selling factory farmed meat
If that's true, that is indeed deceiving.

Although you can take an end-justifies-the-means position here. It's possible that the ideal meat is so fucking expensive that advertising like that is the only way to generate enough money to actually provide it at even SOME of the locations. But I'm not a businessman or restaurant owner.

>> No.6296354

>>6295518
Did you just turn 15 or something? This has been widely known and practiced for a long time.

>> No.6296362

>>6296342
If you've never had a raw, grassfed cheese before, you might be a little shocked at the strong taste of it. But it is supposedly more nutritious -- grass gives vitamins, and pasteurization kills them.

>> No.6296367

>>6295524
Someonepost the video of that lady doing a lecture or somerthing while standing on gras talking about how just the use or change of one word sells shit more.

>> No.6296379

>>6296354
If it didn't work on full grown adults they wouldn't keep doing it, right? I bet it increases sales even on people who claim to see through it. Shit scary.

>> No.6296381

>>6296335
>the real cheese you can buy in the store today is far inferior to the cheese your great-grandparents ate
This. You can get cheese as good or better than what your grandparents ate, but you either have to go the farm where some artisinal cheesemaker lives, or pay $25/lb for it at a high end specialty shop.

I'd argue that in the US today we're making some of the best cheese we've ever made. But the business realities of making it requires selling it for prices the average consumer will not pay. So only rich people and those lucky enough to live near such a cheesemaker get to eat it.

>> No.6296385

>>6295572

The reason why it's voted "best pizza in Detroit" is because Little Caesars headquarters is located there. Putting something like that claim on your box is basically bureaucracy and collusion in action, and Little Caesars as a business is as criminal as it gets.

>tfw you were a district manager for them for three years
>tfw company meetings were always scheduled at the casino near the Detroit headquarters owned by Marian Ilitch, the wife of the company owner, who decided to run as a billionaire wife toy hobby
>tfw most pizza corporations were started in the 20th century as capitalist play toys of sociopathic billionaires who have no legitimate interest in food or food service

>> No.6296392

>>6295655
I've been to the UK and the fast food chains we import there are more of less the same. Leave it to a euro to be snooty about fuckin chain restaurants.

>> No.6296407

>>6296352
>Although you can take an end-justifies-the-means position here. It's possible that the ideal meat is so fucking expensive that advertising like that is the only way to generate enough money to actually provide it at even SOME of the locations.
This is exactly Chipotle's position - doing some good to try to create change is better than doing nothing at all.

But it also allows you to crow about all the good you're doing while selling pretty much the same garbage as everyone else in the fast food business. And people believe it because they really want to think it's true while eating their burrito made from industrially farmed meat.

>> No.6296418

>>6296121
Chipotle is some of the most bland food when you compare it to local mexican places. It's unbelievable.

>> No.6296419

>>6296184
Taco Bell Beans, Black:
>Water, Black Beans, Onion, Canola Oil, Flavor (Filtered Water, Yeast Extract, Dextrose, Salt, Corn Starch, Corn Oil, Flavoring, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder And Turmeric), Modified Corn Starch, Salt, Chili Powder (Chili Peppers, Spices, Garlic And Silicon Dioxide (Free Flow Agent)), Granulated Garlic, Granulated Onion, Chili Powder (A Blend Of Chili Peppers With Not More Than 2% Silicon Dioxide Added To Prevent Caking).

Not TOO bad. The guacamole is also okay, just some thickeners and a preservative added.

Here's the eggs just for fun:
>Whole Eggs, Butter Flavor (Liquid And Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural And Artificial Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), TBHQ And Citric Acid Added To Protect Flavor, Dimethylpolysiloxane, An Anti-foaming Agent Added). Contains Less Than 1% Of The Following: Salt, Citric Acid, Pepper, Xanthan Gum, Guar Gum. CONTAINS: EGGS, MILK AND SOYBEANS

>> No.6296421

>>6296157
I don't think you realize how processed the tortillas and beans are at chipotle

>> No.6296425

>>6296418

No, it's very believable. It's bland because its goal is to appeal to the largest possible number of customers.

>> No.6296429

>>6296418
I believe you, but I don't think my white murrican stomach can handle meat that got scraped up off the floor by somebody who never washes their hands.

>> No.6296434

>>6296228
Just because taco bell doesn't have it as a "default" option doesn't mean what he said was false at all. Don't buy the cheapest thing at Taco Bell. That was so hard. Meat is near the same for more expensive items.

>> No.6296435

>>6296381

I make it a point to buy from the farmer's market that's available here in the country and pick up as much as possible that is locally made. I have to pay more for it, but you know, there's no rationale behind getting $2/lb cheese-like products, $3/lb pink slime tubes, or $4 "pies" that are eternally shelf-stable at your local Walmart unless you're a landwhale or some drunk college kid. If you really want stuff like that you may as well buy it from a trusted source and pay what it takes to get it made with higher quality ingredients.

>> No.6296441

>>6296421
I'm not that surprised considering those things wouldn't be made in either store. Chipotle might season the beans on site, as evidenced by Taco Bell's use of "flavor" vs. Chipotle's actual listing of spices.

It's more the meat where I expect Chipotle would be a bit better.

>> No.6296445

>>6296352
It's sad that's were justifying deceit for an end justifies the means argument. That's the best we can hope for from chains and people just accept it

>> No.6296450

>>6296425
No I know what their end goal is. It just blows my mind that they can have alright quality meat with spices and it still tastes bland. I couldn't do that if I tried.

>> No.6296452

>>6296441
Fair enough.

>> No.6296455

>>6296434
>Meat is near the same for more expensive items
I suppose it depends on how much Taco Bell cheats vs. how much Chipotle lies. I don't know how much Chipotle's prices are inflated above the extra they pay to get the standards of their meat a little higher.

>> No.6296456

>>6296429
Here's your reply

>> No.6296466

>>6296140
>The FDA does not regulate the term "homemade".
>The Government® should be able to regulate every word and how it's used

>> No.6296472

>>6296435
I'm with you, but I'm in a privileged position compared to most Americans. I have the time and money to source the food I buy with care, and I live in a place where better options than what's at the supermarket are available to me. I'll well aware most Americans aren't in that position, and many of those who could be have other priorities. I know a few members of the 1% who eat frozen pizza because they're busy and just don't give a fuck.
>>6296450
>It just blows my mind that they can have alright quality meat with spices and it still tastes bland.
It might be that their meat is not the quality you think it is.

>> No.6296474

>>6296466
It's a fuzzy issue but the amount of revenue generated by the word 'natural' is obscene.

>> No.6296478

>>6296474
caveat emptor

>> No.6296482

>>6296445
The most we can do is encourage people to go back to the old ways of buying local food and cooking it at home. And convince them to spend more on food after generations of expecting it cheap. You know, like the hipsters do.

Otherwise this lesser-of-two-evils situation always happens. Cheap good and fast, pick two.

>> No.6296484

>>6296478
Mehhh...consumers are so ignorant that it's like saying a baby should know better than to touch a hot stove. Even when you're subconsciously suggesting to the baby that the stove isn't hot!

>> No.6296496

>>6296392
That's not true. British McDonalds is much different.

>> No.6296508

>>6296474
>the amount of revenue generated by the word 'natural' is obscene.
I remember one of my high school science teachers going on a rant about this.

"Do you know what's 100% natural" Sewage. Know what else is? Cyanide. So you could sell a bottle of sewage laced with cyanide and label it 100% natural."

Always stuck with me.

>> No.6296538

>>6296484
If the baby doesn't learn that "ow, that stove is hot as fuck", then the correct response isn't "daddy government should ban all other kids from touching this!", unless, of course, you are a stupid kid

>> No.6296539

>>6296508
There is some sense to it in the end, but only if you think about it A LOT more than the average person does. There is a lot of new shit in food that's 'unnatural' because we invented it in the last century, and that shit is contributing to our fat sickness. Natural is an attempt to go back to the foods that have kept us healthy for thousands of years.

But the related disconnect from how our food is grown has made us forget that not everything in nature is safe to eat. A blessing in a way, that we've forgotten being poisoned by mushrooms and stuff like that. That's what progress is for right? But at the same time we're totally at the mercy of the people who now produce our food.

And lo, Papa John's got another customer.

>> No.6296572

>>6296539
>There is a lot of new shit in food that's 'unnatural' because we invented it in the last century, and that shit is contributing to our fat sickness. Natural is an attempt to go back to the foods that have kept us healthy for thousands of years.
No. It's fashion dictated by advertising. When the food science lab allowed shitty cheap food to be easily produced it was sold as "modern" and "convenient". Now that there's some backlash against that we're being sold more or less the same shit, but the advertizing copy emphasizes how "fresh", "natural" and "homemade" it is.

>> No.6296585

>>6296538
My analogy's kinda bad anyway, because there are no immediate consequences to being deceived by the word natural. Since nobody can agree on what it means anyway.

Producers are using a word that triggers a response for whatever reason, and sales increase. No grounds to ban that, but I still hate it. If I had a business model of complete honesty I'd never sell many units and I'd go under.

Consumers aren't willing to pay for the true cost of fully realizing ideals of food production. I don't know what would sufficiently convincing, since our palettes have been dulled by years of hyperpalatable fast food, making it seem like the best food in the world. That's magically also cheap and fast. Complete success from the consumer's point of view.

>> No.6296602

>>6296585
*palate, sorry

>> No.6296629

>>6296585
>I don't know what would sufficiently convincing, since our palettes have been dulled by years of hyperpalatable fast food, making it seem like the best food in the world.
You can always take yourself out of the system. That's what I did. Stopped eating all fast food, convenience food and industrially produced garbage (including factory farmed meat and dairy). Ended up spending lots of time in the kitchen preparing mostly vegetable based meals.

For the first three weeks of this everything tasted boring - like all the pleasure had been removed from food. Then my taste adjusted. And my cooking skills improved. And I lost a bunch of weight.

Funny that.

Now on the rare occasions when I have fast food the first bite is pretty good, then it becomes exhausting to eat. So much fat and salt without anything in the way of vegetable fiber to balance it out.

You can change your taste, but it means most of the time you will not be eating the way most people you know eat.

>> No.6296846
File: 25 KB, 650x650, kittenchef.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6296304
>kids day at the liquor store

>> No.6296868

This is why murpheys is my pizza papa and not john
Murpheys slaves actually make delishush pizza in front of me and drown it in toppings