[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 47 KB, 395x295, chicken-curry.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6292505 No.6292505 [Reply] [Original]

So a few months ago I tried to make some chicken curry. I wanted it to taste something like the Indian version I get from across town. I spent like $100 on ingredients I swear, and it turned out to be gross as hell. The "sauce" was way too green. I used some recipe off some site and maybe it was too much cilantro and seranno chilis.

Anyway.. do one of you have a good recipe for some maybe americanized chicken curry with basmati rice.

>> No.6292506

>>6292505
Oh yeah, it stunk up my entire apartment for a day. Had to open the windows and have a fan going. I love this stuff but hate paying $15 for one dinner.

>> No.6292512

>>6292505
Yeah.
Use this recipe. It has all the flavors and creaminess I think you're looking for. You can spice it up more if you want by adding more chilies to it. It's a nice, easy beginner style curry recipe.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Makhani-Indian-Butter-Chicken/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Thumb&e11=chicken%20makhani%20butter%20chicken&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i2

>> No.6292515

>>6292505

I made this and it turned out pretty well. I used coconut oil instead of the ghee for more coconut-y taste and because i didn't feel like making the ghee

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/spicy-chicken-coconut-curry-recipe.html

>> No.6292539

Thanks you two.. I'll give both a look over and maybe combine them. Appreciate it!

>> No.6292594

You might like Trinidadian chicken curry better. It uses the same techniques as Jamaican curry but is generally milder and lacks allspice, so it tastes more like a Marathi or Punjabi curry and is well-suited to Western tastes.

Basic guideline is:
Get a chicken.
Break it down into quarters.
Trim the breast and thighs of their fat and skin, but reserve both.
Generally, the leg quarters are separated into drums and thighs, the wings are separated from the breasts but left otherwise intact (less the wingtips which are used for stock, along with the neck and back) and the breasts are cut in half along their width.
Chop up the fat and skin.
Cook the fat and skin on low heat to crisp up and render out all the grease (this will be your cooking oil); meanwhile, toss all the meat with just enough allspice-less Caribbean-style curry powder that it's completely coated and set aside to dry marinate. If you want to make your own curry powder, look up recipes.
Thinly slice an onion, chop 4-5 cloves of garlic and as much fresh chili as you think you can handle.
Caramelise the onions, garlic and chili together in the chicken grease then add the curry-coated pieces of chicken and fry them until well-coloured but not cooked through.
Add chicken stock (or water, but preferably chicken stock) to cover and bring to the boil.
Add whole, peeled potatoes and lower the heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
Allow to cook and reduce until almost completely evaporated out; the potatoes will have seeped a lot of their starches into the stock.
Add more stock/water to just barely cover and bring to the boil again then reduce the heat to a simmer a second time to thicken just enough.
Finally, salt to taste and serve with fresh scallion greens and coriander leaves stirred in just before reaching the table.

>> No.6292642
File: 436 KB, 640x480, 1241529087102.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]