[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 100 KB, 389x308, catnutrition.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6242777 No.6242777 [Reply] [Original]

Imo food, if we take it to its moral eventuality, should only serve as nutrition. The taste, presentation, etc. will disappear in time. Have you ever seen sci-fi films where the food is a pill or a bland sludge or some type of faceless biscuit? The most mainstream scene that comes to mind is in the Matrix where they eat a sort of protein porridge.

I think it should be like this. I basically already only eat food for its nutrition (I'm vegan and mostly eat whole vegetables and grains with no oil, flours, spices, etc.) but if it were even less of a facet of my life, if I didn't have to prepare it at all, I'd opt for that.

Cooking is a mindless task, a skill yes, but it's not progressive. It's degenerate, and presentation and anything related aside from taste also is degenerate. In the time it takes to feature cooking as hobby in your life you could be reading a good textbook, non-fiction, accurate biography, watching a good documentary, philosophical doctrine, political account, the news from a non-biased source, etc. etc. Or you know, actually do something with your life of value (picket, debate team, volunteering, voting, etc.)

Just trying to give y'all a different pondrance to chew; thinking is the real spice of life, after all, not say turmeric or cinnamon.

>> No.6242796
File: 51 KB, 555x344, 1419476300353.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6242806
File: 117 KB, 500x377, gaye.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242777

>> No.6242811
File: 102 KB, 640x640, fedora as fuck.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242777
>Imo food, if we take it to its moral eventuality, should only serve as nutrition. The taste, presentation, etc. will disappear in time. Have you ever seen sci-fi films where the food is a pill or a bland sludge or some type of faceless biscuit? The most mainstream scene that comes to mind is in the Matrix where they eat a sort of protein porridge.
>I think it should be like this. I basically already only eat food for its nutrition (I'm vegan and mostly eat whole vegetables and grains with no oil, flours, spices, etc.) but if it were even less of a facet of my life, if I didn't have to prepare it at all, I'd opt for that.
>Cooking is a mindless task, a skill yes, but it's not progressive. It's degenerate, and presentation and anything related aside from taste also is degenerate. In the time it takes to feature cooking as hobby in your life you could be reading a good textbook, non-fiction, accurate biography, watching a good documentary, philosophical doctrine, political account, the news from a non-biased source, etc. etc. Or you know, actually do something with your life of value (picket, debate team, volunteering, voting, etc.)
>Just trying to give y'all a different pondrance to chew; thinking is the real spice of life, after all, not say turmeric or cinnamon.

>> No.6242823

>>6242777
By what arbitrary means have you decided that a biography or textbook is more valuable than a great comic book or a particularly delicious recipe? It's literally impossible to give any reason why learning about Igor Sikorsky is 'better' than learning about Creme Brulee, so it's just personal opinion at this point.
Also
>thinking voting matters
>thinking debates change anyone's mind
>coming to a board dedicated to cooking and shitting on the idea of cooking
Clearly a troll, 2/10 for making me respond

>> No.6242828

>>6242823
>>thinking debates change anyone's mind

Who said anything about changing someone's mind? It's a hobby like anything else is.

>> No.6242837

>>6242823
First of all, it's food and cooking.
Secondly, comic books are for children. If you have to ask why reading about men in underwear doesn't engage your mind like, say, reading something from Freud, you're a lunatic.

A delicious recipe engages sensory reception in your brain. So does masturbation. Intellectual thought literally changes the routes in your brain, though. This has been studied. It's a scientific fact that certain thinking is better for you, and certain hobbies are better for you.

Also I've changed many minds by debating. This is how I converted my aunt away from religion and got my uncle to stop believing in chemtrails.

If you really think hobbies aren't objectively rankable, you're deluded.

>> No.6242853

>>6242837
>Secondly, comic books are for children
Please repeat this to
>>>/co/
Freud was long ago relegated to the "mildly interesting wackjob" shelf, and all of his theories about psychology have been tossed out. Also, for the record stuff like Watchmen is ranked a hell of a lot higher on my list than Freud. There're a lot of shitty comic books, but there are a lot of shitty regular books too. You can't write off a whole genre.
>It's a scientific fact that certain thinking is better for you, and certain hobbies are better for you.
>If you really think hobbies aren't objectively rankable, you're deluded.
Dying. This is great stuff man, please keep it coming.

>> No.6242864

>>6242777
>Imo food, if we take it to its moral eventuality, should only serve as nutrition.
Nice trips, but why so? Shared meals are a big part of what bonds people together in every culture. Food has a huge cultural resonance, whether it's hot dogs at the ballpark, a Seder dinner or long noodles and a whole fish for the Lunar New Year. Most folks can't imagine a wedding without a feast.

>I basically already only eat food for its nutrition
That's like only having sex for procreation. You can choose to do that, but you're denying yourself quite a bit of pleasure because reasons.
>I think it should be like this.
I think it's impossible to remove food from culture. Food has shaped our culture to a huge degree. This includes our ideas about society, our politics, economics and even borders. Hell cod, a single fish, was responsible for drawing much of the current map of the world.
>Cooking is a mindless task, a skill yes, but it's not progressive. It's degenerate, and presentation and anything related aside from taste also is degenerate.
By this line of thinking the arts are degenerate as well, yet they are nearly as defining when it comes to culture as food. You may as well advocate against music, dancing or any of the visual arts.
>thinking is the real spice of life
Perhaps to a monk - someone who wants to distance themselves from the pleasures of what their culture has to offer. Monks are nothing new - here have always been those who felt this way. They have never been a majority. You're destined to be a voice crying out in the wilderness.

>> No.6242883

>>6242777
nice trips
>people are actually responding seriously to this post
protip, the (I'm vegan ...) was the point where even the most idiotic of morons should have stopped reading.

>> No.6242930

>>6242864
>>6242853
Go to a board dedicated to something to gauge its intellectual credibility? Can you say 'bias'?

Oh, Watchmen you say? I bet your favorite film is Shawshank Redemption or Fight Club. All of those are just silly stories, they have no real point beyond masturbatory entertainment value. There's nothing 'smart' in Watchmen that hasn't been said before in actual thinker's work.

And your assessment of Freud is reductive and clearly you just regurgitating things you've heard others say. It's pure ideology, pure dogma. Freud is still relevant, just not as scientific-empiric Fact. It's still philosophically rich and would stimulate you way more than silly made-up stories and drawings by people who've never even studied Picasso. Plus it was just an example.

>>6242864
Just because that's how things are, that doesn't mean it's how it should be. That's classic fallacy at work.

And yes I do think the arts should be stamped out. The closer we get to a humankind who operates on pure reason, the sooner our maladies fade away. We should be striving toward monkish asceticism because in that world there is no war, there is no hate, and there is no wasted time. There is only Progress.

Pleasurable stimulation for its own sake is just onanism, it's the cause for every ill in our world, physically and mentally. You're basically arguing in favor of hedonism, or even worse, semi-hedonism (because in this state of mankind, no one sees it for what it even is, just that!)
>>6242864

>> No.6242945

>>6242811
>fedora
Classic anti-intellectualism at work. It's fascinating to see it permeate to the younger generations, which I thought were immune for a while. But I guess it lives on forever. The least you people could do is be aware of the nefarious quality of this meme, the way it infects you and steals your life away.

You're being programmed to program yourself poorly. Sling "so fedora" around at anyone trying to think for themselves and see where it gets society.

And by the way I am fit and handsome, so nice try.

>> No.6242994

>>6242883
>protip, the (I'm vegan ...) was the point where even the most idiotic of morons should have stopped reading.
Maybe. But I eat mostly vegan, and OP put some effort into it. If it's trolling it's much less stupid than tendies or a rich guy having this for lunch today. I'll bite.
>>6242930
>And yes I do think the arts should be stamped out. The closer we get to a humankind who operates on pure reason, the sooner our maladies fade away.
Pure reason really cannot extend beyond mathematics. One cannot operate on pure reason. People make choices on whims, hunches, aspirations, fears and desires. If people operated on reason advertizing would not work, and it works on everyone, even so-called reasonable people.
>We should be striving toward monkish asceticism because in that world there is no war, there is no hate, and there is no wasted time.
The destruction of desire is a monk's goal, I'll give you that. Not my goal, and if you ask most people I think you'll find not theirs, either.
>Pleasurable stimulation for its own sake is just onanism, it's the cause for every ill in our world, physically and mentally.
idk, man. In the end we're just animals, and pleasure and pain are what drives us. Just because we're clever enough to realize that doesn't mean we're capable of stepping outside of it.
>You're basically arguing in favor of hedonism,
I'm arguing that a degree of hedonism is inescapable unless one becomes a monk. Even then I'd wager it still operates, just in a more subtle manner.

>> No.6243012

>>6242994
>Pure reason really cannot extend beyond mathematics. One cannot operate on pure reason. People make choices on whims, hunches, aspirations, fears and desires. If people operated on reason advertizing would not work, and it works on everyone, even so-called reasonable people.
Yes but again, this is not how it should be. And it is possible to operate on reason: we can realize when we're making hunches or illogical decisions and NOT do them. This is basically the difference between the intelligent, reasonable scientists, mathemeticians, etc. and your common prole.

>idk, man. In the end we're just animals, and pleasure and pain are what drives us. Just because we're clever enough to realize that doesn't mean we're capable of stepping outside of it.
I disagree, and if you look at history the progress is undeniable. Our progress has only arisen out of suppressing our basal animal needs and fears. This is how any achievement is made, even if the person doesn't realize it. The suppression of primal, immature drives. There's no reason this can't be done society-wide.
>Even then I'd wager it still operates, just in a more subtle manner.
Probably, but progress can only be made by making it more and more subtle. Tell me, how else is progress possible? What else is progress we've seen, up to this point, if not intelligence rising over illogical desire drives?

>> No.6243013

>>6242930
>There is only Progress.

To what end?

>> No.6243017

>>6242930
I like chicken tendies with mayo

>> No.6243024

>>6243013
Efficiency. Mechanical, pragmatic efficiency. We can only promote our race if we eliminate threats such as the melting ice caps, our own sun destroying us... which requires technology and its construction, at a rate much quicker than we currently can as a society still controlled by hedonism and onanism.

Imagine this: a society where everyone operates on pure reason, only breaking from scientific advancement from morning till night to eat a protein capsule and then immediately get back to work at their stations where the moon is terraformed, where intergalactic travel is made possible, any number of scientific advancement.

I think people are only really happy when they're efficient, when they know what they do promotes the longevity of the race. And a lot of people think they do this, but it's not really true... people will only be happy when a vision for the future like the one I've suggested is reality, and I think it eventually will, because reason always wins out, in the end.

>> No.6243027

>>6243024
What is the purpose of spreading humanity?

>> No.6243039

>>6243027
It's the only purpose logically supportable. Focus all you want on coming up with reasons for living, but that's all it is, reasons and rationale. The simple, occam's razor-type matter is that without humanity existing, none of the reason-making matters. None of these reasons exist without our existence, and so any reason we come up with is a sub-set of us being alive. Us dying precludes any reasons we could've come up with.

By token of including any possible reason we can find for being alive, our race staying alive should be our first priority. Ironically, keeping our race alive may be the only meaningful (at least by pure logic) reason for staying alive. It's a self-fulfilling reason, and thus it (in the right hands, with the right thinking, with the right tech) becomes a perpetual-motion machine of raison d'etre.

But by all means, sit on the sidelines as threats wipe us out and pick your nose and think about 'reasons'.

>> No.6243047

>>6242777
>moral eventuality
>cooking as degenaracy
Moral thinking, and intellectual thinking, are simply put, completely incompatible. If being intellectual causes me to be immoral, so be it. I'm all for progress, not for making the movie "soylent green" come true.

>> No.6243050

>>6243039
>our race staying alive should be our first priority

Why? Reason dictates that I won't be alive long enough to see the results, so why does it matter?

>> No.6243052

>>6243039
Why does humanity continuing to exist have intrinsic worth?

>> No.6243058

>>6242777
You describe cooking as something that isn't progressive enough and should thus be cut out from our culture. But wouldn't it lead to cultural degeneration in the sense that if we simplify cooking we'll go to a simpler state with less than we had before. Could it possibly be cultural degeneration you are looking for in favor of scientific progress?

Sure you can argue that other things could be done with the time, but you would still need to replace it with something that gives a comparable amount of enjoyment since a mind starved for enjoyment is an unhealthy mind.

>> No.6243060

>>6243047
No they aren't. This sounds like classic DIY philosophical thought. Someone who just got into University and thinks that random thoughts they get are automatically philosophy.

Start with the greeks, please.
>>6243050
>>6243052
I just explained this, I'm sorry if your reading comprehension has failed you. Maybe try looking at it from a logical viewpoint, not an emotional viewpoint. I have clearly limned the logical merits of my argument, but maybe you aren't used to this type of thinking.

Also you not 'seeing the point' of why you should engage even though your life is limited is because you've fallen prey to the maladies I've outlined. Please, re-read my posts again, or if you can't suss them, re-read until you can.

I don't think you can approach this kind of concept-work without experience though. So if you find your interest perked (and it's your duty to, imo) go and read, and read a lot, any non-fiction you can get your hands on. Start with the greek philosophers and shift your way into scientific works as they rise out of history. I don't know of any list of 'best of's (so to speak, but this kind of meaningful work can't be reduced to a pop-friendly greatest hits list...) and it will require life-long digging. Good luck!

>> No.6243066

>>6243058
I disagree. First of all you put too much importance on enjoyment...could it be because you're made a slave to pleasures? I can sense your fright at what I'm suggesting, and it's because you're afraid of losing your pleasures...

But science and efficiency and reason are their own, deeper pleasures. The word you mean when you say "pleasure" should be "pleasure void of progress."

There is pleasure in progress, but it requires a different way of thinking to appreciate.

>> No.6243067

>people still argue that humanity's purpose comes from inside itself
>atheists this desperate to find an existence where a creator isn't a possibility

>> No.6243070

>>6243060

sounds like you've given up and are are shifting to ad ad hominems.

troll confirmed.

>> No.6243071

>>6243060
Either you're making a circular argument about humanity existing in order to exist (which I don't think you are), or you're arguing that humanity needs to exist for some reason outside of that. What I'm asking is; what would you personally say that reason is?
I'm not trying to suggest an answer, it's an honest question about your position.

>> No.6243078

>>6243071
It's cicular reasoning, yes, but in this case the circle is the strongest self-sustaining system. There's no sustaining life without circularity of reasoning. It's occam's razor. The best reason to do something is that it's the best. That itself is also circular, but it's still true.

>> No.6243084

>>6243024
>Imagine this: a society where everyone operates on pure reason, only breaking from scientific advancement from morning till night to eat a protein capsule and then immediately get back to work at their stations where the moon is terraformed, where intergalactic travel is made possible, any number of scientific advancement.
Star Trek fan detected. I bet you're wearing your Vulcan ears as you type this.
>I think people are only really happy when they're efficient,
If this were true factory workers during the Industrial Revolution would have been the happiest people in history. They were not.
>because reason always wins out, in the end.
Reason never wins out. That's why Smith's invisible hand doesn't work as he envisioned it. The only way you can remove passion and impulse from people's primary drives would be to eliminate their sex organs, which runs contrary to your future of humanity thing. And even then they would seek out pleasure in cuisine, music, art and literature, because that's what people do.

What you suggest sounds like Vonnegut's Harrison Bergeron, but with "Reason" substituted for that other Enlightenment ideal "Equality".

>> No.6243086

>>6243060
The greeks didn't even know how the letter "E" was supposed to look. They did, however, know how to cook. They even invented fish sauce, one of mankinds greatest accomplishments.
Your move, Anon.

>> No.6243089

>>6243078
Fair enough. What I'd question then is the purpose of staying relatively true to humanity as is. (ie. a modern human today could conceivably act as efficiently as you're suggesting.) Wouldn't be even better to enhance certain abilities or remove things that dampen reason?

>> No.6243092

>>6242777
You can eat sludge thats cool man.
I'll eat food and enjoy it as well.

>> No.6243096
File: 29 KB, 312x394, taco bell logo(2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242777
>Cooking is a mindless task, a skill yes, but it's not progressive.

that's why I'm eating at the Bell you pretentious fuck!

>> No.6243100

>>6242930
Hey pal, if we focus purely on reason, and we determine asceticism is best, then naturally it would follow suit human existence itself is merely a pleasurable activity and thus not necessary to the grand scheme.
Kill yourself --it's reasonable.

>> No.6243105

>>6243089
get a load of this guy. Hes holding a dialectic with himself. Pretending that he is debating someone. How much you wanna bet he wins out after reasonably convincing him of his views. BTW I agree with what you are saying and wish more would do so. People will live for themselves and there is not much you can do about it. I think it was Epicurus or Epicitus who was saying there is no point in arguing philosophy with those who do not see knowledge. You end up just getting ridiculed. Just stick with people who want to and you will be fine. What you are doing is futile.

>> No.6243107

>>6243012
>I disagree, and if you look at history the progress is undeniable.
I don't see such progress as arising from suppressing our lower chakras. Because we haven't, to any meaningful extent. Everything that qualifies as "progress" comes from the ability to pass knowledge from one generation to another. Written language was the first killer app in this regard, then the printing press, now information technology. That has been the source of all progress.
>What else is progress we've seen, up to this point, if not intelligence rising over illogical desire drives?
Our intelligence has not risen over our desires, we just have more information to work with.

>> No.6243111
File: 22 KB, 287x344, mr-potato-head.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6243105

he'll never get his dissertation written posting on /ck/

now repeat after me, "do you want fries with that?"

>> No.6243112

>>6242777
Nonsense. How are you meant to do this to a pill?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeVtGOVdy0I

>> No.6243124
File: 7 KB, 259x194, modesty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242777

nothing like posting on a chinese cartoon image board to start chaning the world

my sides!

trying converting to Islam.
that will really piss off Mom and Dad

>> No.6243131

>>6243124
>not eating bacon
who needs to go to hell, when you make living on Earth hell?

>> No.6243143

>>6242777
>Imo
stopped reading there.

>> No.6243150
File: 53 KB, 250x250, 1420154417344.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6243131

go away OP
Momma's got mac and cheese all ready just the way you like you like it

>> No.6243164

>>6243105
I was genuinely curious about his somewhat unexamined circular reasoning actually, I was just trying to come at it gently.

>> No.6243165

>>6243066
>I disagree. First of all you put too much importance on enjoyment...could it be because you're made a slave to pleasures? I can sense your fright at what I'm suggesting, and it's because you're afraid of losing your pleasures...
I put a lot of importance on enjoyment because I know first-hand what happens when your life is void of it. It's really not a worthy way of living, and it's very hard to produce any intellectual results when your mind and body is out of balance.

>But science and efficiency and reason are their own, deeper pleasures. The word you mean when you say "pleasure" should be "pleasure void of progress."
It really depends on the person but I agree that intellectual progress is a very enjoyable thing that is underappreciated by many. But so is cultural progress, you shouldn't look down on the beauty of, say, Dvorak's cello concerto just as you shouldn't ignore the way the theory behind NMR works so cleverly. And have you ever seen a beautiful piece of code that just makes you feel that it's the way it just has to look and any other way would feel wrong? You talk like your progress is the only progress that should be focused on, and that the things you enjoy is the only thing that matters.

>There is pleasure in progress, but it requires a different way of thinking to appreciate.
I honestly agree, sadly, but the fact is that progress just for the sake of progress can bring negative consequences (depending on what you consider positive and negative of course). There's a fairly big movement in the western world that tries to bring back certain things from the old days, though they tend to do it in a bastardized way a lot of the time it's true that the hipsters are trying to reintroduce certain old ideas that we could do well with.

>> No.6243228

>>6243084
Star Trek is just silly stories, as is Vonnyget. The factory workers weren't happy because they didn't know the value of their work... they were infested with ideas of glamor being the stuff of happiness, surely, which is all pop culture ever is.
>>6243089
Yes. That's pretty obvious. What I wouldn't do to not have to masturbate or eat, or void my bowels.
>>6243107
This is true, and I commend you for your sight...however it's not contradicting anything I say. Information is how we progress, and information loses its meaning when our pleasures distract us from it!
>>6243165
Well that's an anecdotal claim, and how do I know you're not just mentally ill? Progress would do away with not only mental illness, but the kind of mental illness that makes someone think anecdotes belong in debates.

A cello is just noise. Our basal, primal sides are what gives it beauty, wrongly.

>> No.6243238

>>6243228
You could always an hero.

>> No.6243240

>>6243228
>Yes. That's pretty obvious. What I wouldn't do to not have to masturbate or eat, or void my bowels.

Ultimately, wouldn't the most efficient thing be to replace ourselves with Von Neumann machines?

>> No.6243250

>>6243240
No, it would be to augment ourselves cybernetic-ally. Research and development to this end are already occurring.

>> No.6243251

>>6243228
Might I suggest you get a lobotomy?

>> No.6243261

>>6243250
How do you draw the line between augmenting ourselves and creating non-human replicating machines?

>> No.6243273

>>6243228
>Star Trek is just silly stories, as is Vonnyget.
No sillier than the idealized future you're presenting to us here. In fact I'd say both are superior to what you're doing because they explored their dystopian themes in the context of artistic works, instead of mere pontificating.
>A cello is just noise. Our basal, primal sides are what gives it beauty, wrongly.
Those are the same drives that wrongly make a beautiful young woman seem such when she's really nothing but a bag of cells?

No thanks, man. Not signing up for that nonsense. You go off to the monastery, Imma make up some chorizo tacos.

>> No.6243276

>>6243261
There needs to be some grey matter left. We can't identify the part of our brain that gives rise to consciousness and imo that's too grey (haha) a line to attempt to cross. We can eliminate parts of our brain responsible for distraction and sensual pleasure, tho, since those are easily identified.

There's that whole line of thought that the consciousness requires the brain AND the body, that our body has as much 'us' in it as the brain...but it's a total crock of shit, personally. You don't see people in wheelchairs having existential crisis, do you?

So basically, we just need to preserve our brain matter, or most of it. Pretty simple.

>> No.6243282

>>6243228
Can't say I don't have a disorder or two, but you seem to have one or two yourself. Seeing as disorder is simply being deviant and your thoughts fall well within that definition.

Your thoughts are just electrons being fired off in a predeterminable way, you are just a simple function of your genes and your environmental inputs over time. You seem to think that primal or basal things are negative, but it's the core of our beings and what makes us who we are.

And what's with that claim that it's incorrect to assign beauty to something? Is that based on anything other than your feelings on the matter?

>> No.6243285

>>6243228
>the factory workers weren't happy because they didn't know the value of their work
No, they were unhappy because their employers didn't compensate them for the actual value of their work you fuckwit. I stopped reading there, you're clearly a moron.

>> No.6243291

>>6243273
This is how I know you're a slave to your impulses. Women are like food to you, a drain of your energies and so far past their nutritive or biological importance that they control your entire life.

Now, at the risk of sounding sexist with that, I'm merely responding to your own sexist slant. Women as people are as valid as any other and can stand equal in a progressive, intellectual future (except that in many instances their IQs are lesser, on average. On an individual to individual basis this doesn't really matter, though.)

With both sexes, the idea of 'men' or 'women' as metaphysical, life-centering activities is as laughable as food being anything beyond nutritive in importance.

>> No.6243299

>>6243285
That's neither here nor there.
>>6243282
It's based on reason. Beauty in art has no proven benefit or progressive use.

Also, feeling sick at a sick society means one is well-maintained.

>> No.6243300

>>6242777
OR

I could keep cooking the pork butt and make some delicious pulled pork out of it.

>> No.6243313

>>6243276
So, as I understand it, ultimately your position is that consciousness alone is worth preserving and spreading?

>> No.6243314
File: 18 KB, 300x300, showposter.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6243299
Wrong again, my friend. It's now and then, here and there.

>> No.6243318

>>6243313
Not alone. It's just without it, anything else is impossible. It's the top priority because its absence precludes other considerations.

>> No.6243327

>>6242777
Yes, I also attended high school at one point OP.

>> No.6243330

>>6243318
True. What other considerations do you consider worthwhile?

>> No.6243335

>>6242777

ayy lmao

>> No.6243339

>>6243299
What's with you and your obsession with progress? Is it that you are unhappy with life right now and want the world to change into something where you can feel better about yourself? Why are you even feeling anything about it if feelings are so inferior? That should be the first order of business, kill off your feelings and go back to progressing on your own.

>> No.6243350

>>6243330
I would like to think that there are considerations we haven't even considered yet. We've pretty much exhausted our current issues ad nauseim, and the solution to them all is simple, to eliminate. It's staring us in the face. And after we transcend, we can consider the other considerations of the future. This I believe.

>> No.6243355

>>6242777
Kill yourself you uppity faggot.

>> No.6243358

>>6242777

>SO EVOLVED
>MUCH EDGY
>WOW

>> No.6243363

>>6242777
I also disagree.

>> No.6243366

Cooking or any hobby gives one pleasure in life. People need this to be productive and progress.

>> No.6243370

I eat for nutrition but I still like my food to taste good. When it tastes good I eat more of it and thus get more nutrition. That's why food tastes good in the first place.

>> No.6243372

>>6243350
>>6243330
>>6243318
>>6243313
>>6243276
>>6243282

all this samefag, kek

>> No.6243373

>>6243350
Preserving consciousness is a sensible hedge bet to make, given the assumption that there's a possible future consideration that isn't obvious at the moment. What makes human consciousness uniquely more worth preserving than an artificial one though?

>> No.6243374

>>6243276
If we could eliminate those parts of the brain, to get that effect, then how come people with non-functioning amygdalae still can feel fear?

>> No.6243375

I hope this is copypasta and you aren't actually edgy and delusional enough to bother posting this on a cooking board

>> No.6243376

>>>/showerthoughts/

>> No.6243392

>>6242837
>the subtle art of trolling

>> No.6243393
File: 383 KB, 2119x1207, inb4shopped.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6243372

>> No.6243396

>>6243374
Impartial knowledge of how to do so.
>>6243373
Well, because artificial consciousness couldn't exist without human consciousness, in the first place. If there's a type of consciousness only artificial consciousness could create, it should trump us, and so on, infinitum. But I really doubt that.
>>6243375
Food and cooking, the board is FOOD and cooking. What kind of wrap you get at taco bell isn't the only food thing you can discuss, you know.

>> No.6243397

>>6243291
>This is how I know you're a slave to your impulses.
Perhaps. But I refuse to build an altar to Progress, the sacrifice Culture on that altar. I don't see any reason to do such a thing.

Then again, I'm a trained scientist who gave it up for a career in the arts. In my view that's where the real flowers of human endeavor are to be found. What you consider Progress I consider boring. Life is too short for boring shit.

>> No.6243401

How is cooking, or art in general, mindless? You are consciously creating something. You can read all the textbooks, documentaries, and what have you, thinking you're doing something of worth, but if you're not producing or doing anything with that knowledge it just becomes a form of mental masturbation at that point.

>> No.6243405

>i just had my first month of philosophy 1000 the thread

Please go to /sci/ and stop being retarded

>> No.6243409

>>6243397
If you view life on an individual basis, yes. But you need to think long-term. Human consciousness is too short if we don't each take our part and sustain it, for even the 'boring' stuff to exist. You're thinking about this in terms of your own life and not humanity's, which is only as short as your own life of service makes!
>>6243401
I do create, anon. I'm an engineer and I teach my friends and family all the time from the documentaries &c I watch. Nothing you consume intellectually is masturbatory if you have social outlets to share with... let me guess, you don't go outside?

>> No.6243410

>>6243396
>Well, because artificial consciousness couldn't exist without human consciousness

I think "we were first" is neither likely nor what you really mean by this. Is there nothing else that makes human consciousness unique to you than the fact that it's the one you happen to have?

>> No.6243420

>>6242777
>I'm a vegan
No wonder you're a moron, you lack the nutrition to function properly.

>> No.6243422

>>6243410
Well if you're trying to say I'm biased, you're wrong. I would willingly subject myself to any higher being should they happen along, no one said existence was fair to whoever's the one perceiving existence... it's just that we're the only ones, really. Artifical consciousness unless it gets out of hand is under our hand.

>> No.6243423

op, get your shitty philosophical debate off of this glorious tendie filled board

>> No.6243431

Tldr

>> No.6243443

>>6243422
I'm not suggesting you're biased, but you make a hard line distinction between human consciousness and hypothetical others. As far as I can see, you draw that line pragmatically based on "this is what exists now", is that fair?

>> No.6243446

>>6243409
>Nothing you consume intellectually is masturbatory if you have social outlets to share with...
No, that in itself is mental masturbation. Many people take up philosophy not because they're interested in changing their way of thinking or fascinated by it. They just use it as a means to feel superior to others. Kind of like this thread.

>let me guess, you don't go outside?
Hey now, don't project your lifestyle on me.

>engineer
Now it suddenly makes sense.
Curious as to what you work on though. Must be some ridiculously complex stuff if you have an ego this large.

>> No.6243510

>>6243409
>You're thinking about this in terms of your own life and not humanity's
Some of my creative output will outlive me, and in my opinion that's a fair contribution to humanity, as degenerate as that might seem to you.
>life of service
In order to dedicate your life to service you have to have faith that to which you serve is somewhat meaningful. I can't see the abstraction of Progress as such.

>> No.6243544

wow OP needs to read Nietzsche badly.

>> No.6243557
File: 944 KB, 900x775, 1418725437271.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242930
if you're so smart why dont you write up an analysis of rebellion story? what? its a shitty cartoon? well that should make it triple, no, COMPLETELY trivial for you to just type it out in 3 hours of watching and writing. surely someone of your calibur can do this right?

>> No.6243568
File: 66 KB, 500x366, 1409241856327.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242930
>onanism, it's the cause for every ill in our world

Are you retarded?

>> No.6243572

>>6243544
>OP needs to read Nietzsche badly.
Bad reads of Nietzsche bring their own sets of problems.

>> No.6243584

>>6243572
True. But if he had a minimum amount of reading to do I'm sure at least some ideas would get through. But many of OP's convictions seem to be tackled directly in those books.

>> No.6243589

>>6243557
Madoka, especially Rebellion, is shit. Why even bring it up here.

>> No.6243657

>>6243557
Man, it's so painfully obvious that you've seen like 10 anime in your life, and less than 10 films, novels, etc. If Madoka is what you'd bring up when defending deep art, you clearly have no experience with deep art.

>> No.6243663

>>6243446
I develop technologies made by food scientists at Frito-Lay.
>>6243510
What exactly does art that outlives its maker do? What's the point? Can you prove for me the point?
>>6243544
I've read all of Nietschuze.

>> No.6243697

>>6243663
>I've read all of Nietschuze.
Could you give us a summary or something?

Why are you still committed to utilitarianism, politics, world news, unions? Why deify Reason, Progress. Why all that life-denying?

>> No.6243712

>>6243697
"Take from the cookie bowl until it's empty."

Because I don't follow your pseudo-intellectual sublimated hyper-masculine tripe,

>> No.6243719

>>6243712
>im an edgy liar
kk.

>> No.6243724

>>6243697
Also, why choose a version of utilitarianism this naive?

>> No.6243749
File: 51 KB, 783x600, 1422782831401.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Cooking makes nutrients more bioavailable and digestion easier. Get fucked OP.

>> No.6243750
File: 86 KB, 256x255, tip65.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242777
>I'm vegan and mostly eat whole vegetables and grains with no oil, flours, spices, etc.

>> No.6243753

>art is pointless
>enjoying the taste of food is pointless

you must be a fun person to hang out with

>> No.6243777

>>6242777
> The taste, presentation, etc. will disappear in time
>The taste will disappear in time

No it won't.

Your brain is balls and you are fucktarded.

>> No.6243778

>>6243753
well, fun is irrelevant, according to him anyways.

>> No.6243790

>>6243778
You've misread him. Fun isn't irrelevant, it's actually harmful. Pursuit of fun is the entire reason that everything sucks. Fun must be purged from this sinful Earth.

>> No.6243961

>>6243663
>What exactly does art that outlives its maker do? What's the point?
Allows its creator to share joy with others from beyond the grave. I'll take joy over progress any day.

>> No.6243966

>>6243790
Is he a catholic monk?

>> No.6244045

The main problem with any of OPs convictions is humans simply aren't built to be as efficient as he wants. The only reason to eliminate frivolities like food and art from our life would be if we could use the saved time to devote to intellectual pursuits. We simply cannot. Without food and sex and art and socialising we'd be too depressed to do anything.

What OP doesn't realise is that the only way we've made any intellectual progress is because of the mental health afforded to us by these frivolities. They are the fuel on which the brain is able to find time for things like pure reason.

I'm an engineer myself, without music and cooking I'd probably be an alcoholic. What is being suggested is not possible unless we actually reach the stage where we can opt for a bodyless singularity.

>> No.6244052
File: 86 KB, 1311x685, 1418687370797.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6243753
>>6243778
>>6243790

>> No.6244060
File: 166 KB, 572x760, stop yourself.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like this thread, but joy and effeciency can intermingle. Im shure even if there was a nutriment sluge in the future it would have some recreatinal quirk for the mentally bored when desired.

>> No.6244072

>>6244060
and besides it is not yet the future where unmotivated or innefecient types of people are rooted out of the mainstream. Right now there is the full array of human novilty from the idiot who thinks that thinking positive vibes while eating daritos will get him a cute girl, a good job and a ticket out of mummies basement, to the teacher pulling her shattered soul through the sludge trying against inner broken and outter chance of failure to teach the next generation something usefull despite the day to day grind of hope falling away.

>> No.6244079

>>6244072
Joy is good, joy and self diologe in the way of all else is stupid.

>> No.6244116
File: 126 KB, 892x1000, 8f0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6244134
File: 328 KB, 500x374, arnoldambalamps.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242777
>guaranteed replies

>> No.6244177

>>6243060
You're so full of shit I don't even know where to begin. All your argument is is presuppositional bullshit.

3/10 made me reply

>> No.6244180
File: 4 KB, 320x120, 1422846928967.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242777
>y'all

Holy shit, fuck off.

>> No.6244206

>>6243228
>A cello is just noise.
And a book is just words on a paper
And a an idea is just neural impulses in our brains
And humans are just water and carbon.

From your nihilistic world view, nothing has intrinsic value. Not even your pursuit of "progress" by whatever arbitrary scale and end goal you assign.

>> No.6244233

>>6244180
Posted a bunch of times ITT, but only just noticed the "y'all". Was willing to debate nonsense with a vegan, but a vegan Southerner? No wonder this guy has such a chip on his shoulder. Being a vegan (or even a rational thinker) in the South is like being gay in Iran. It'll fuck you up.

>> No.6244240

>shitpost with a bunch of pseudointellectual nonsense
>120 replies

just go to /lit/ you moron

>> No.6244263
File: 245 KB, 1000x630, 1416034838100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6243657
>>6243589
>>bunch of faggots talking shit about madoka.
>>don't actually prove how shallow it is by summerising the symbolism and meta elements in the story in a paragraph
>>because its totally fucking doable.
I dont know what it is with faggots who think liking something that has depth means it has to be pretentious or long winded. Anyone can understand madoka, yknow, unless your head is so far up your own ass like op or you that you're too busy masturbating to how much "better" you are than an animu to care.

>> No.6244309

I like to mix chili and mac and cheese.
Shit is the bomb

>> No.6244347

>>6244309
but chili is tomatoes [the womb of a plant and its embryos] and beef [the flesh of a beast, and depending on the quality maybe the muscular organs] and spices [ the ground up bodies and reproductive bits of plants., and mac is pasta [exclusivly plant emryos ground up, with the ovum of a chicken and the fat pressed out of a olive [the reproductive organ of a olive tree]] and cheese [the manifestation of a interspecies weird relationship and its concequent molestation, which is let to sit and artfully rot with the help of rennit [the stomach acid of a baby cow]]. All is naught all is real why you dare enjoy your abomination and lust for a better tomorow which you enact some of today fuled by your full belly? useless and strange innefeciency!

>> No.6244350

>>6244347
Tomorrow I'm gunna have like, five bowls of chili mac now.

>> No.6244432

Is op a raw food vegan?

>> No.6244479

>>6242777
As mind numbingly stupid as your reasoning is, you're still entitled to your opinion. Now go choke on a carrot, you fucking faggot.

>> No.6244483
File: 258 KB, 460x210, it is different for gods.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242930
>the only comics that exist are capeshit

>> No.6244505

>>6244347
>chili is tomatoes
chicken nuggets is like my family

>> No.6244824

>>6242930
Buddy, take this reasoning further. Your continued existence is pleasure for you. Progress has no meaning in and of itself -- progress makes life easier so we can have more fun. You're a hedonist, get over it.

Brilliant b8, very entertaining

>> No.6244853

>>6242777
>catnutrition.jpg
OP abuses cats

>> No.6244882

>>6242777
Food is like sex. Having sex strictly for reproduction is boring. Eating strictly for nutrition is boring. Besides, we evolved to eat things according to how it tastes, faggot.

2/10 for making me reply

>> No.6245237

>>6243012
>This is basically the difference between the intelligent, reasonable scientists, mathemeticians, etc. and your common prole.
Clearly you haven't spent much time with any real scientst/mathematicians. They fucking LOVE what they do. Their eyes light up with excitement when they talk about it. They don't choose their field or continue to pursue it out of a pragmatic, pure-reason plan, they pursue it because it excites them. I'm not denying that they're very intelligent or that they can apply reason to a situation very effectively, but that's not what the heart of the issue is. It's the same with individuals who truly excel at anything, from writing to cooking to athletic endeavors.

I also think you're VASTLY underestimating the value and importance of things found outside what you see as reason. Food, fiction, and culture have huge roles in shaping our culture and how we perceive the world. Food is a cornerstone of most cultures and communal meals help cement family and social bonds. Fiction may not represent the world as it is necessarily, but if well-written it gives us insight into ourselves, our society, and the human condition in general, and shows us that the world doesn't have to be as it is.

To abandon all else in favor of reason alone would be to abandon a huge part of what makes humanity great.

>> No.6245277

I have nothing against vegan vegatriianns I truly have no problem except the attiidude.better than you..

>> No.6245331

>>6242777
>It's degenerate, and presentation and anything related aside from taste also is degenerate. In the time it takes to feature cooking as hobby in your life you could be reading a good textbook, non-fiction, accurate biography, watching a good documentary, philosophical doctrine, political account, the news from a non-biased source, etc. etc. Or you know, actually do something with your life of value (picket, debate team, volunteering, voting, etc.)
More degenerate then shitposting on Korean tile fetish site? You know what you could be doing instead? Saving the world from kikes, inventing a cancer medicine or becoming a president.

>> No.6245611

>>6245331
If I can help someone here think more rationally, I've done my job. Most have given up and use their own pleasure-drives to rationalize a rebuttal, but I'd like to think someone reading my thread was moved and changed. If it was only one person, it was still worth it. The future needs all the help it can get, imo.

>> No.6245621

this thread should have died the moment we learned he hasnt read nietzsche but then neither have you guys.

this is more like philosophy than cooking but /lit/ wouldnt tolerate it.

>> No.6245640

Why did this thread last so long?

Why wasn't this the first and only reply:
>stop liking what I don't like
/thread

>> No.6245642

>>6245621
Should have died when he was praising Picasso and then immediately afterwards, responds to another post with some shit about abolishing art

>> No.6245659

>>6244263
>bringing up anime that isn't even relevant in this thread
>can't even quote properly
I don't care about deep anime or whatever. I'll watch most things honestly. Thinking Madoka, or most anime for that matter, is thought-provoking or deep in anyway is ridiculous. It's enjoyable sure, but don't try to make it seem deeper or more intellectual than it really is.

>> No.6245694

>>6245659
As much as I agree that it had no business in this thread, you're dismissing an entire medium completely out of hand. That's like saying books can't be deep or thought provoking. Is a lot of the moe shit? Fuck no. But anime can plumb the depths just as much as any other medium. Madoka does that. Its not the deepest thing ever, but to say there's nothing there is a bold faced lie.

>> No.6245715

>>6245611
>If I can help someone here think more rationally, I've done my job.
Except if you're "I'm using only pure logic"-guy, you are actually not teaching people what logic really is.You have this huge bunch of assumptions (that progress is good, that having fun is bad, that we should do everything as efficient lyas possible) that are not self-evident and certainly not necessarily true. In many ways like mathematics, you can use logic to make an argument, it doesn't come with it's own set of answers. (Not to mention there isn't just one type of logic.)

>> No.6245727

>>6245694
>But anime can plumb the depths just as much as any other medium.
It has the potential, but most series nowadays are 12 episodes, and it's almost impossible to build up to something meaningful in such a short span of time. For example mostly everything in Madoka is very straight-forward, easily understood (again, it's not a bad thing), and with minimal development. It had to be that way with the amount of episodes it was allotted.

>> No.6245735

>>6245727
If think everything in Madoka is straightforward, you're just wrong. Especially the Rebellion story.

>> No.6245739

>>6245735
I haven't seen Rebellion, hence why I was talking about the TV series. Honestly I wasn't that impressed by the latter so I have no desire to watch the movie.

>> No.6245782

>>6242945
Insecure as fuck. How's that worm crawling up your ass treating you?

>> No.6245793

>>6242828
So that means you agree that there's no value to it, contradicting the OP's claim that cooking has no real life value while debating does.

>> No.6245802
File: 69 KB, 640x426, vjvfoiwpeqds.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6242777
Did anybody make fun of OP yet?

>> No.6245809

so op are you a psuedo intellectual highschool/junior college student, an accountant, or an engineer?

it's gonna be one of those

>> No.6245856

>>6245802
see >>6242945
>>6245809
I've already said so in the thread.
>>6245715
I don't think you know what you're saying. Please take a philosophy course to get the concepts I'm using.

>> No.6245876

>>6245856
>Please take a philosophy course to get the concepts I'm using.
Philosophy bachelor here, although English isn't my first language.

>> No.6245891

Been very busy at work and am reading a biography of Kant, but I finished lunch early (leftover reheated Zucchini chunks and a calorie mate [the closest we've come to what I wish cuisine was]) and so I have some time to reply.
>>6243100
There have been a few other posts in this thread of the same vein, and I think it's unfortunate... suggesting suicide, and doing suicide, are both anti-logic. Killing yourself is like saying God exists. You're making an unfalsifiable claim (or in this case, suggestion-by-action) that nothing else in life will be worth living. It makes no sense. It's mental deficiency.
>>6244045
>>6244060
>>6244882
>>6245237
None of you have tried what I'm suggesting, and society itself hasn't tried it. Therefore it's an unfalsifiable claim, to say what I'm suggesting is somehow deeply anti-human or anti-culture or anti-society. Culture is mutable, resembles nothing anywhere it used to resemble. You people are vastly underestimating human fluidity.
>>6245621
I've already said I've read all of Netschez. Just because you've read something doesn't mean it automatically convinces you. You can disagree, you know. In fact, this kind of outs you as someone who has only read enough that anything he reads seemingly deep auto-converts him... let me guess, Netzschiez is the only philosopher you've read?
>>6245642
I never praised Picasso.

>> No.6245904

>>6245891
>None of you have tried what I'm suggesting, and society itself hasn't tried it.
>apparently asceticism hasn't been a thing. ever.

>> No.6245907

So what did /ck/ have for lunch today?

>sourdough bagel with cream cheese

>> No.6245914

>>6245904
Asceticism with religion as its spurner...which, we all know how flawed religion is.

>> No.6245919

>>6242837
Shut the fuck up you fucking weirdo. I hate all you autistic faggots

>> No.6245927

>>6242777
STOP CALLING NORMAL THINGS DEGENERATE

>> No.6245933

>>6242930
I would beat the shit out of you if I met you in real life, you first year philosophy major retarded nerd

>> No.6245938

>>6242837
If you think a human being can be purely objective, you're delusional.

>> No.6245954

>>6245914
What about cynicism?

>> No.6245962

>>6245907
Some leftover quiche I made last night. Shit was delicious. I love quiche.

>> No.6246014

Basically what I just read is
>I hate flavor, and so should you.

And on the topic of if humans didnt have to worry about food they would have more time to progress, who gives a shit. What great end goal are you working towards that makes progressing that rapidly and destroying what makes is human worth it?

By this logic we would all be better off if we were all just robots doing the same thing all day everyday. All those things that you listed as holding us back are exactly what make us human. What's the point if dedicating your life to the betterment of humankind with no form of pleasure? To make us all just mindless workers who live for the betterment of the colony? Are you saying we should strive to be like ants?

>> No.6246078
File: 44 KB, 351x440, sammy davis jr approves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6243663
>I develop technologies made by food scientists at Frito-Lay.
Underrated punchline to the thread.

>> No.6246088

>>6246014
No because worker ants aren't aware of what they're doing. They can't see the logic behind it like we can.

Why is there a false dichotomy going on here? Why does efficiency HAVE to be so meaningless to you? You realize one can live a happy life like this if their perceptions are changed... you're as unaware as an ant by not seeing that your "but it's what makes us human!" nonsense is pure ideology.

>> No.6246115

>>6242777
OP are you some kind of retard who is incapable of multitasking? I watch the news when i cook or a listen to radio or what have.
Whats next are you going to tell me you cant drive a car with a manual transmission because your too stuck with looking at the tach instead of looking at the road?

>> No.6246172

>>6242777
You make a legitimate point about how our current culture fetishizes food and how being a snobby gourmet (sorry, "foodie") is now completely respectable and taken as a sign of culture and intelligence but any chance you have of convincing anyone is lost in your dime a dozen nerd who gets off on roleplaying some sort of weird robot posturing. Food is one of the most basic pleasures of life, trying to destroy it doesn't help anyone

>> No.6246236

>>6242777
The universe will die a final heat death when it reaches maximum entropy. It will all turn into a cold, lifeless cinder. Then what will humanity have to show for it's progress? Billions of years wasted on a Sisyphean task towards scientific progress, at the cost of individual, mundane pleasure! Nothing of it will have mattered in the end, as there will be no one left to witness humanity's works.Is it not better to live life to the fullest in the limited time we have, when nothing has meaning outside the meaning we accord it?

>> No.6246245

>>6246236
To summarise, your idea of efficiency is my idea of hell, and I don't even believe in an afterlife. My concerns end with my death, and maybe extend to my own potential grandchildren.

>> No.6246250

>>6245891

OP, you may have missed this last reply >>6243443
But I'll rephrase what I was getting at:
How do you square your aim of maximum efficiency in propagating consciousness with your proscription of artificial consciousness? It's easy to imagine working towards a non-human consciousness that would be far more efficient at spreading than even the most augmented grey matter, so why is that not a better option, unless you feel there's something special about humans?

>> No.6246330

>>6245962
>enjoying things
Heresy.

>> No.6246400

>>6245962
I haven't had quiche in years, I need to get some soon.

>> No.6246410

Pure ideology! A binary view of the world! Shame on you!

>> No.6247092

I've done the "eating simply to survive" thing, usually out of poverty... rice and peas, rice and beans, lentil porridge, eating limes for a cheap source of vitamin C until oranges go on sale.

I like food. I like cooking. Nutrition may be a science, but it lends itself to the culinary arts quite nicely, and even though I've come to realize that I hate working in kitchens (there's a decade of my life I'm not getting back), I still love preparing and plating food for people.

Most of my solo meals are cheap, efficient nutrition, but I do try out ideas at least once a week if nobody comes over to share.

>> No.6247097

>>6242777
Who the hell invited this autistic edgelord?