[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 49 KB, 610x366, guy_fieri.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6200703 No.6200703 [Reply] [Original]

How do you really feel about Guy Fieri?

>> No.6200716

his haircut looks stupid

that is all

>> No.6200717

He's a dork and should receive less television exposure than he receives.

>> No.6200719

I feel like he's a piece of shit. And I wouldn't spit on him if he were on fire. And he's a bad cook , a bad restaurateur, and an ugly hedgehog fuckshit.

>> No.6200720

>>6200703
He's got an image, and he's capitalized on it. He's an intelligent human being who found a way to make easy dosh by pretending to be a mongoloid.

I wish I was him. I'd stuff a chocolate cake into a cherry pie and call it freedom loaf

>> No.6200726

>>6200703
He's a fucking asshole.
I saw him when he went to a local restaurant to go and eat a disgusting amount of food for free and bitch the entire time. He cut the footage about 4 times because some guy in the shot had a watch that was bigger than his. Eventually he told the man (who was a paying customer) to either take off his watch or get the fuck out.

The only time I wouldn't piss on him is if he was on fire.

>> No.6200737
File: 302 KB, 1280x960, flavor void.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6200703
I try to forget he exists.

>> No.6200741
File: 3.40 MB, 3264x2448, 1419048174904.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6200716
>his haircut looks stupid
but if you knew you were going to meet him wouldn't you go get his haircut???

>> No.6200748

>>6200719
bobby flay pls.

>> No.6200750

>>6200703
he's the founder of flavortown.

>> No.6200763
File: 11 KB, 950x150, giggling.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6200748
I giggled more than I should have

>> No.6200797

i don't trust him in any way cause he dresses like an autist from 1990. he must have some mental deficite.

>> No.6200819

>>6200703

BRO IS INTENSE AS FUCK

SO SIQQQQQQQQ

>> No.6200829

if I was offered the amount of money that he makes I'd turn the doucheometer up just as high if that's what it took.

>> No.6200918

>>6200720
Guy Fieri pls go

>> No.6200937

I just hope they completely sterilize all the kitchens he films in after he leaves and then go through it with a blacklight to check for jizz because the man disgusts me as much as cockroaches.

>> No.6201279
File: 12 KB, 250x187, 1397779334848.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

He's an insufferable douchebag, in a hilarious sort of way. The restaurants he goes to usually have tasty looking food, so overall it's a 10/10 show to watch while you're getting high with your buddies. You can both drool over the food and laugh at/make fun of Guy's idiotic actions and words. It's a real roller coaster of emotions.

>> No.6201311

>>6200741
Why...

>> No.6201382

>>6200703

I honestly don't much care, so some guy whose character I'm not fond of is making a lot of money being, or pretending to be, an idiot on tv. I'm just going to go back to listening to municipal waste.

>> No.6201384

>>6200703
hulk hogan + honey boo boo's mom = guy fieri

>> No.6201424

>>6200703

Britbong here and DDD is on food network UK, I like to watch it with my girlfriend when we're in bed.

Most of the food is utter shit, sometimes you'll get a decent plate of food.

When we're watching I liken Guy Fieri to the music at a party, you recognise it's there and no-one but the autists pay any extra special attention to it.

Honestly we watch it to fall asleep together since it's so monotonous, but in that sense I like it.

I fall asleep holding my gf knowing that when the program starts to end the volume on the TV will increase waking me up, I can take the remote in my hand and erase Guy Fieris smug face from the screen.

You're missing out on life unless you've hate killed his image with a squiffer.

>> No.6201431
File: 39 KB, 300x400, guy-fieri-300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

hes the hero /ck/ deserves, but not the one it needs right now

>> No.6201459

As much shit as he gets, he is probably more accessible than Thomas Keller. I doubt he could be on that level of cuisine though.

>> No.6201493

>>6200703
>How do you really feel about Guy Fieri?

He's an asshole

>> No.6201506

>>6200703
Literally who is this guy???

>> No.6201535
File: 186 KB, 878x600, guy_fieri_2008_10_19.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm pretty pro-Fieri. Hear me out.

His interview with Andrew Zimmern is pretty informative:
http://andrewzimmern.com/2014/05/23/go-fork-guy-fieri/

Basically, he's a fairly successful restaurateur who dresses like the lead singer of Smashmouth to win next food network star. It worked and he won, and now the show he hosts is one of Food Network's highest rated shows among key demos (I work in TV and ran the numbers). As much as people here might hate to admit it, reality shows are way more accessible when you want mind numbing entertainment that TV provides after a long day at work.

The other thing to his credit is that he's not featuring high class food or food in places that your average american can't travel. I know it's cool that Anthony Bourdain can eat shwarma with lybian rebels or some shit but that's just as alienating as a 9 course meal at Per Se. Guy's Grocery Games is also a non-elitist, lighthearted, family-friendly game show. His shit is accessable.

I went to his Restauraunt in NYC for a work happy hour that was panned by Pete Welles and I didn't find it so bad. He takes american staples and adds a couple of twists that are by no means bad conceptually--Italian Nachos, Jalapeno Wasabi Buffalo Wings--and execution wise, were relatively OK (overpriced sure, but it's also Midtown). He probably has cleared up a lot of the QC issues since then.

Finally, he's a Raider's fan, which is awesome.

>> No.6201553

>>6201535
>can eat shwarma with lybian rebels or some shit but that's just as alienating as a 9 course meal at Per Se

It is? Color me weird but I don't find either to be alienating at all.

Fieri's stuff is no more or no less accessible to me than any other restaurant that's not located in a convenient distance from my home. Sure, I could arrange travel to hit one of his places, but then again I could just as easily travel to just about any other restaurant.

>> No.6201696

>>6201553

I mean they're the same level of alienating/out of reach for your average American who's watching his show.

>> No.6201699

>>6201535
Was this post written by Armond White? populist/10

>> No.6201704

>>6201696
I still don't understand. Does the average American find things that he is unfamiliar with alienating? This has not been true from my experience.

>> No.6201718

>>6201704

You can find populism/accessibility to be a positive quality without necessarily being anti-elitist.

>> No.6201722

>>6201718
that doesn't answer my question at all

>> No.6201734

>>6201722

I guess my use of alienating was wrong. It's inaccessible, not alienating.

>> No.6201739

>>6201734
I'm American. All of my friends are American. My family is American. I grew up in a rural midwestern suburb. Everyone I know likes Bourdain.

>> No.6201745

>>6201739

I'm not saying Bourdain is bad i'm saying that Guy's show fulfills a much different niche of making food that working class/blue collar people can eat

>> No.6201751

>>6201745
then why do people watch the kardashians? they can never live in those houses.

>> No.6201774

>>6201751

They're different shows that can coexist. Guy's show shows food that's accessible to most people, while Bourdain's show shows food that's inaccessible but interesting to most people. While there's the Kardashians there's also Honey Boo Boo. Both are popular with the same people. What's so confusing about that?

>> No.6201778

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHHp5cVQ5yw

>> No.6201781

>>6201774
you've basically backpedaled and eroded your argument to the point that you are basically saying nothing.

>> No.6201788

>>6200703
I don't understand how a person like him can get their own show, while I barely break 1k views on my channel

>> No.6201803

>>6201781

Oh here i was thinking you were asking for clarification not trying to pick apart my argument like some be-fedora'd internet message board warrior bent upon exposing the intellectual vacuity of someone who attempts to make the case for Guy Fieri's appeal.

Congrats, you totally out-debated me about the Merits of Guy Fiery v. Anthony Bourdain. I bow to your superior internet argument abilities. You really showed me.

>> No.6201807

>>6201803
there is no argument. you have made no claims.

>> No.6201817

I've heard he's a nice guy in real life.

He puts on the character because he won a Food Network contest by putting it on. If he stops, he'll lose his work. I'm not one to fuck with another man's grind.

>> No.6201822

>>6201734
>It's inaccessible

I disagree. OK, sure, the average person might not get to meet some of the people his TV network connections can get. But as far as the food is concerned, what's inaccessible about it?

I have learned about many new foods on his show. Instead of staring at the screen thinking "man, I wish I could travel to X to eat Y", instead I said: if that uneducated street vendor can make it, then so can I. I found recipes using internet searches and google translate to help me understand. I bought the requisite ingredients, and did what I saw on the show. The resulting dishes were fucking fantastic. There is very little on his show that is honestly inaccessible, unless you're too lazy to get off your couch and get your hands dirty in the kitchen.

>> No.6201836

>>6201553
no more or no less accessible to me than any other restaurant that's not located in a convenient distance from my home.

>it's just as easy to spend $5k on plane tickets, meet up with jamal in the Congo, and hack our way through the forest to enjoy a meal with a traditional African tribe, as it is to walk down the street to mcdonalds.

>> No.6201841

>>6201836

No, but it's pretty easy to kill a wild pig and prepare it in the same manner that you saw on his program.

>> No.6201858

>>6201836

There's no Guy Fieri restaurant anywhere near where I live. So to go and visit his restaurant is no different than going any vistitng just about any other restaurant.

Most of what Bourdain eats is basic food--the stuff locals like. Very little of it is 3-star super expensive, etc. I can find a street taco stand, a pho joint, local seafood shack, or redneck BBQ a lot easier than one of Fieri's places.

>> No.6201906

I too like Guy. His persona is obviously off putting but this sort of television requires him to be very over the top. If you want a guy to put a fork in his mouth, go mmm, and then say that was delicious then watch some public television or some local cooking show.

I have been to I believe 7 or 8 restaurants now that Guy featured on his show and all of them have been a positive experience. I plan on doing a road trip this summer and will likely look for restaurants that were on his show as good places to stop. What I like about DDD is that they show how the food is made from scratch so it kinda tells you what you're going to be eating when you go to that restaurant. It's both inspirational to try cooking at home (which I do quite often) but also lets me know how the restaurant operates.

>>6201822
You sound like someone who's never traveled. I love Bourdain, his first show A Cook's Tour is probably my favorite food-related show of all time. But he has a whole production company behind him now, if you were to travel to the places he goes to it's unlikely you would find those hole in the wall joints he goes to and the home meals he eats. Sure in some places you'd find the same dishes while in others they're a bit of a secret, and kept as that to prevent the throngs of tourists from ruining an already busy place for the locals. What people don't get is that travel television is done mostly behind the scenes, the 60 minutes of a show is weeks of scouting, recording, production etc...

>> No.6201945

>>6201906
>You sound like someone who's never traveled.

Not true, actually. Born in Europe, currently working in the USA. I've spent time in various US states, Canada, England, Denmark, Netherlands, and Germany. I've been to other countries as well but only for a few days so I'm not sure that counts as really having been there.

>>if you were to travel to the places he goes to it's unlikely you would find those hole in the wall joints he goes to and the home meals he eats

So what? Does it really have to be the EXACT same dish served by the EXACT same person while you sit in the EXACT same chair that Bourdain sat in? I would agree that is inacessible, but that's also being pedantic about the whole thing. Bourdain seeks out what is done well by the locals. You can do that anywhere.

>>that people don't get is that travel television

Who's talking about travel? I'm talking about the food.

>>6201841
has the right idea.

>> No.6201959

>>6200703
Could care less. I'm here to talk about cooking and food. Share stories and have a good time. I've never seen anything with this guy on it and I wouldn't even know about him if not for this sub and that one game grumps episode.

In short, who gives a fuck?

>> No.6201975

>>6201959
>Could care less
couldn't

>> No.6202022

>>6201945
Doesn't have to be exact but for example Hong Kong is famous for their dim sum and there's still plenty of shitty dim sum joints in HK. I can give you a personal example. I tried Mexican mole 3 times in my city and they were all disappointing, especially after friends told me this is the greatest thing ever. Then I traveled to Oaxaca and ate some in a restaurant that has a good rep for that thing and it changed my mind completely, that was one of the best dishes I had in Mexico. That restaurant wasn't in one of the tourist zones, I took a taxi out there. The places Bourdain goes to are even more so hidden, often quite out of the way where the locals go to. Plus he gets "invited" into people's homes all the time which as a traveler doesn't happen very often with language barriers and the fact that most people don't invite random strangers into their house for dinner which just turns out to be a bunch of dishes showcasing the local cuisine. You say the dishes don't have to be exact but it takes an idiot not to know that the same dish can be delicious and awful depending on who prepares it. Why do you think there's a bunch of Italian restaurants in every city where some are packed with a line up in front of the door and others have the chef standing there looking at empty tables?

>Who's talking about travel? I'm talking about the food.
You brought it up, Bourdain is travel television.

>> No.6202023

>>6200703
He's alright. I just find it weird that he's incredibly grossed out by eggs for some reason. Eggs are his kryptonite

>> No.6202041

>>6202022
>You brought it up
No, he didn't. The guy he was responding to brought it up. You're bad at reading.

>> No.6202085
File: 84 KB, 560x415, rs_560x415-141119121235-1024-guy-fieri-dark-hair2.jw.111914.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Every day I wake up, I kiss my wife good morning and go downstairs to a breakfast of water, plain toast and plain oatmeal. It's all my stomach can handle after...he...is done from the day before. I take a deep breath and walk towards the bathroom, opening the bottle cursed gypsy hair gel I found as a young man in an abandoned restaurant. I put my hand into the rancid slime, I can already feel my cardigan rippling into a flame decaled shirt as I run my hands into my hair. I feel it overcoming me, I can't hold back. I look at the mirror and see someone who's not me, and it's then that I know I'm here. I'm in flavor town...

>> No.6202237

LETS GO TO FLAVORTOWN

>> No.6202379
File: 106 KB, 315x334, 1392620216824.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6200716
>he doesn't frost the tips

>> No.6202543

he takes so much hate from this board but he honestly seems like a pretty cool/relaxed dude

>> No.6202547

>>6200703

Guy Fieri is if a sports bar became a person.

>> No.6202553
File: 9 KB, 300x168, ass.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6200703

He's no Adam Rcihman but then Guy didn't hold every position in the restaurant industry

Richman is really a tough act to follow

>> No.6202592

Guy's job is to be a douchebag
You wouldn't take all that money to shout FUCKING MONEY?

>> No.6202598

>>6201535
you had me until Raiders fan

>> No.6202606

>>6202085
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiB4dMwDFtg

>> No.6202757

>>6201803
You're just not making any fucking sense.

>> No.6202903

>>6201553
He looks like a Raiders Fan, kinda like him anyway.

>> No.6203125

Okay guys, hear me out. I've heard he's a terrible person, and his whole schtick is pretty lame, but:

1. DDD shows cooks making food the way they actually do every day in the kitchens they work in. This is relatively unique for the food network, and it helps satisfy some of the nostalgia i feel for my restaurant days without me having to deal with the low pay and shitty hours.

2. GOAT food show for being high not only because of the gluttony, but because it's batshit insane. The video editing work is absolutely fucking nuts. any given 20 seconds of the show has like 8 different angles, and it's choppy as shit. also, whenever someone's speaking but you don't see their mouth its pretty clear that the sentence has been constructed from various audio clips. the show ends up being extremely surreal.

>> No.6203223

When I heard he was gay, couldn't believe it. Gaydar never went off.

>> No.6203285

>>6200703
you can see him embrace his character and turn it to 11 when you compare his really early stuff, like when he had his cooking show in his "house" and now.

he really didn't have any interesting or good looking recipes, and his personality was always kind of douchey, even more so now that he is more mainstream/popular.

Every know and then you can see him break character and be genuine and almost nice. Really he shouldn't be hated for making money by playing a character.

all in all he gets way more hate than he deserves, but is still pretty douchey and unlikeable.

>> No.6203301
File: 293 KB, 651x623, shit nigger what are you doing.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6202553
NEARLY every position

>> No.6203335

>>6203125
>his whole schtick is pretty lame,
>nostalgia i feel for my restaurant days without me having to deal with the low pay and shitty hours.
>not only because of the gluttony, but because it's batshit insane.
That doesn't qualify as high praise in my book. More like "embrace your inner love of shit food", then consider paying a premium to eat at his shitty restaurants.

I'm no snob. I'll admit plenty of shitty food tastes good. But I'm sure as fuck not going to celebrate it while watching some uber-bro with an empire of shit restaurants and convenience food products telling me how great it all is.

I can appreciate watching it for how over the top it all is, but it's not fighting the good fight. It's celebrating dumbing things down.

That's not something to celebrate.