[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 3.20 MB, 2400x3600, The_Famous_Grouse_Finest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6191182 No.6191182 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /ck/.

My dad's 60th birthday is next week and I want to get him a bottle of scotch. But I don't know what to get as I want to get him a good and nice one.
He has a bottle of Famous Grouse at home and a bottle of Grants.

>> No.6191196

>grants and grouse

He's obviously content with blends then, and not the best of those at that. So you can either play it safe and get him a blend (i'd suggest Johnnie Walker Black, it's as good as a lot of single malts), or you can buy him a nice single malt. I'd only go for the latter if you know he's the type of person who can learn to appreciate a superior product though, because a lot of older people are set in their ways and content with what they feel comfortable with. Highland Park is a nice starter single, or Glenfiddich 12 is usually a safe bet.

>> No.6191202
File: 114 KB, 250x312, 1257477025598.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, if he does have a fondness for FG, I would suggest (depending on availability/budget):

- Highland Park 12. A good step up from blended scotch, and still one of the best bang-for-the-buck single malt.
- If you feel like splurging a bit, you might consider the 18yo HP.
- Otherwise, I'd also suggest Glenfiddich 15yo. From the house that brought you Grant's, but with great depth, reasonable price and an all-around pleasing character.
- If you live in the US, you might still get aged-statement versions of Macallan, the 12yo is still a good stalwart.
- Last but not least, Balvenie 12yo...unless you live in Canada, where they jacked up the price since last year, beyond sanity.

>> No.6191313

For blends i would go with Chivas Regal, especially the 18yo one is pretty nice.

Single malts are a bit trickier, as they can have pretty distinct flavour profiles. I'd go with a bottle of Bowmore or McAllan.

>> No.6191335

>>6191196
>He has a bottle of Famous Grouse at home and a bottle of Grants.
Then he's not particularly interested in Scotch. I wouldn't bother with anything special but all the posh bottles of blended are at the same price as entry level single malt so you might as well get him a bottle of single malt. Taslisker 10 is good, Highland Park is a solid entry level one. Glenfiddich 12 is not amazing but dirt cheap and better than what he's drinking now same with Glenlivet.

>> No.6191342

>>6191196
>>6191202
>>6191313
>>6191335
Thank you for all the suggestions guys. I'm leaning towards the Highland Park 12 since so many of you suggested it. Keep the idea coming!

>> No.6191610

my friend did something like this. his dad drank a lot of blends, so instead of buying an expensive bottle, he bought a bunch of the lower end blends and got drunk as shit with his old man

>> No.6191673

Before spending a lot it's probably worth talking to your dad. He's not drinking good Scotch at the moment, but that stuff is fine for mixing. Find out if he's mixing it at the moment. If he's drinking it straight then go out and get him a bottle of Highland Park and he'll probably appreciate the difference, if he's just going to mix it then get him a couple of bottles of what he's drinking. Guy is 60 years old he's probably not changing his ways just because you get him a posh bottle of Scotch if he's used to Grouse and coke.

>> No.6191682

>>6191610
>>6191673
I should've mentioned in the OP but he doesn't drink that often and when he does he usually drinks it as a nightcap.

>> No.6191721

I'm not above a bottle of Grouse myself, but at that level you can't really go wrong. He's honestly going to be happy with whatever you get him. As the others have said there's no point in premium blends because they cost the same as entry level single malt. Some solid suggestions so far Highland Park is certainly a strong contender. No idea what the cheapest expression goes for because it's really not my thing but Macallan might be worth a look into. It's far too bland and boring for me as an islay fan, but some people love it and I can see someone coming from blends liking it. It's a highly respected Scotch unlike something like Glenfiddich, just not my thing. I'm pleasantly surprised people have avoided saying Laphroaig. It's the best value Scotch on the market place and a very good Scotch, but it's an acquired taste and not suitable for your dad. It's a bit of a meme whisky around here.

>> No.6192011

All the previous suggestions are good, if I were you I think I'd just get him a johnny walker black, unless you can find one of the single malts mentioned for a comparable price, in which case there's no reason to go for the blend.

>> No.6192024

>>6191682
I'd be careful with what was said so far in the thread.
Famous Grouse and Grant's are excellent everyday drinkers. But if that's the only scotch he drinks, then just go with has been said previous to this post.
If he drinks other scotches on occasion, then it's best to find his tastes then go to a reputable store and ask the clerk for something similar.