[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 534 KB, 1500x1102, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6188157 No.6188157 [Reply] [Original]

I recently had a customer of mine request that I make her some kimchi. This is something I have been wanting to try for a while now (I sell other fermented foods thru the local Ag alliance).
There are many recipes online, but I was hoping some anons with kimchi experience could chime in.
What brand of fish sauce is the best?
What kind/brand of pepper powder should I use?
Husband is traveling to the big city tomorrow, where there are a few Asian markets. I want him to pick up some supplies for me, but I don't know exactly what I want him to get.

>> No.6188459
File: 208 KB, 750x1000, IMG_0429.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Koshering salt, Korean cabbage (baechu), garlic, ginger, scallions/spring onions, Korean pungent paprika (kochugaru), sugar, at least two types of Korean seafood sauce (jeot; most often prawn/shrimp and anchovy, saeujeot and myeolchijeot, respectively) and that's about it.

I use anchovy jeot and oyster sauce in mine and omit sugar since oyster sauce is plenty sweet.

I make mine as follows:
Cut up cabbage, add enough salt so that it feels gritty in the hands, put it into a plastic produce bag, squeeze out all the air and twist it shut, folding the bag's mouth under its own weight.
When the salt has leeched enough moisture from the cabbage that it is completely submerged, I remove it, drain and rinse thoroughly.

Grate or pound some garlic and ginger into a paste and put it in a bowl. I mix a bit of soy sauce (an ingredient I add that is not traditional to kimchi), Squid brand fish sauce (it's made from anchovy) and Mae Krua oyster sauce. I add enough kochugaru until I like the colour of it, then mix in plenty of chopped scallion.
Finally, I add the cabbage pieces, mix them about to coat every nook and cranny, and pop'em into a jar.
Cover the jar with a piece of muslin with twine or something and let it hang out on the counter a week or two then in the fridge two to four weeks before consuming.
I can't give exact measurements as I just do it by eye and feel, sorry.

>> No.6188508

I make it all the time.

1.Cabbage,any kind of leafy cabbage will work. Napa,and Bok Choi are the ones I use.You have to soak it in a salt bath for 1-5 hours. It's up to you.
2.Daikon raddish(I have used regular ones, but not as good.)Diced carrots,and leek would be your veggies. Cut in matchstick style. Or buy them that way.Play with other veggies if you want to.
3.The paste. You are going to use a food proscessor and throw in as much flavor as you can. Onions,and Garlic. Fish sauce,and (Korean) Coarse red pepper flakes.
When the cabbage is done, rinse,and dry.
Rub the paste into the leaves. Mix in the other veggies. Rub that shit together. Then jar that shit. You can put it under the sink, it will ferment quicker, and get sour faster. Keep it in the fridge if you don't like it too sour.

>> No.6188534

I have some canned kimchi but I'm afraid to open it

>> No.6188543

>>6188534
because you gonna eat it all up in 20 minutes? and get massive farts and the ring of fire?

>> No.6188547

>>6188543
no I just had it a really long time ago and forgot what it was like and now I'm scared

>> No.6188561

Never tried this before but now really interested. Any basic tips. How does it taste? like spicy sauerkraut?

>> No.6188576

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sX_wDCbeuU

>> No.6188615

>>6188157
>What brand of fish sauce is the best?

some korean groceries carry a korean fish sauce made of sandlace(ayu/sweetfish i think are also names for the fish) I think it does an icredible job for kimchi becuase despite its saltyness its actualy quite rich and a bit sweet, use in moderation tho

>What kind/brand of pepper powder should I use?

as far as the gocharu is conserned lots of brands are good, just dot go for the absolute cheapest one you can get

look for a midpriced bag and check the dates on the bag, fresher the better

>> No.6188617

I got some in a jar in the Asian section of my supermarket. It was extremely watery and didn't have much flavor. I don't even need to taste the real thing to know this isn't what it's supposed to be like.

Are there any good brands for people that aren't into it enough to make it themselves yet?

>> No.6188619

>>6188617
try to get the one in that resealable non-see-through plastic bag. they store it in the fridge.

>> No.6188637

Is it still kimchi without fish flavor? Would it still ferment without fish if I made it myself like that? Do they have varieties like that in the store? I bought some at the store and, after a few bites, the fish undertone nearly gets me gagging.

I just can't do that fishy taste. I can't even eat shrimp crackers because the flavor overpowers me.

>> No.6188647

>>6188637
I posted >>6188459
I've been toying with making a vegan version substituting anchovy sauce for soy sauce only and oyster sauce for mushroom sauce in my preparation of it.
If you can make sauerkraut without fish, you can make kimchi without it, too.

>>6188561
Yeah, it's basically spicy, more savoury sauerkraut, though cut differently. Kimchi tends to be made with whole, halved or quartered heads of cabbage though making it from cut pieces isn't uncommon. Sauerkraut, however, is either more finely cut than kimchi would be or it's shredded.
Also, the sort of cabbage used isn't the same.

>> No.6188648

>>6188637
I hate seafood but fermented anchovy sauce doesn't taste that fishy to me. I didn't realize it was in worchestershire sauce for years until I read the ingredients.

>> No.6188656

Op here. Thanks for all the info, anons.
Here is a link I have found to be very informative-

>http://www.punkdomestics.com/search/node/Kimchi

>> No.6188666

>>6188656
>all written by a bunch of Caucasians

>> No.6188674

>>6188666
Whites rule the world but everyone else rules the kitchen.

>> No.6189073

>>6188674
Are the French not white?

>> No.6189184

>>6189073
Who can tell either way with their women under those Modesty Curtains™ they have to wear now that France has adopted Sharia.
Also, the Italians taught the French how to cook. When Catherine de Medici married the Duke d'Orleans, she sent for her cook in Florence because the French couldn't cook worth a damn. They boiled everything.
And everyone knows Italians aren't white.

>> No.6190258

>>6188157
Only tip I have is: Don't use too much salt! Err on the side of less or you'll end up with something inedible.

>> No.6190268

>>6188547
I left some in the fridge for 6 months
When I opened it the kimchi had split into two and was having a war with itself

>> No.6190270

Kimchi bump

>> No.6190283

>>6188576
hot damn, that woman is so adorable

>> No.6190473

I am a korean and our family makes kimchi every autumn and eat those until the summer next year.

2 baechu, 4 cups of salt(tastes bad when used a bad one try to buy a good quality sea salt), a cup of cooked japonica rice, 1/6 of asian pear, 1/4 onion, 10 garlic, 2 pieces of ginger (garlic size), dried red pepper, white part of welsh onion, half a cup of fish sauce, 2 and a half cup of pepper powder, 4cm thick white radish with 6cm diameter
(Cup=about 200mL)

These are ingredients korean traditional kimchi. If you are interested and can get these items, I will tell you the way to make it.

>> No.6190498

>>6190473
>These are ingredients korean traditional kimchi.
>implying there is only one specific, authentic, tradition of kimchi-making and it's not something that varies region to region and kimchi-making family to kimchi-making family
That's nice, Suk Sam Kok. Tell me, Mr. Kok, more about your grolious authoritative knowledge of Korean traditions. Please.

>> No.6190525

>>6190498
Yes that recipe is from one specific, authentic, tradition but it covers almost all South Korean kimchi making recipe and the differences comes from how much fish sauce do you put in or what other main ingredient other then baechu do you replace it with.

If you want authoriative knowledge of korean traditions visit my house I have graduated in Korean Tradition and is currently working in a museum.

Is that satisfying to you cookfag?

>> No.6190604

>>6190473
I'm interested! Also, any hints you could give on the process, ingredients, etc.

>> No.6190675

>>6190525
>it covers all blither blather blither (blithering nonsense continues)
No.
If kimchi is highly regional and highly personal, it is impossible to have a single traditional recipe.

I've seen it with bae in there, sure, but it's hardly something everyone does. Same with using onion or mu: not every recipe has them. In fact, most don't.

>> No.6190690

>>6190675
Wow. A kimchi that does not includes onion or mu? Are you in the same Earth with me?

Because that kinda thing does NOT exists. Every kimchi has onion and mu. I can gutrantee that.

I don't know whether you visited the south or the north(maybe theirs don't have those two because they are fuckin poor) but stop talking gibberish. Every kimchi has onions and that is it.

>> No.6190694

>>6190675
Talk with a fact and try to use google. It's free and takes questions from assholes.

>> No.6190698

>>6190604
I had a mistake prepare 2 non-dried pepper

Remove the yellow leaves and slice the baechu lengthwise.

Prepare 30L of 30water:2salt in a large bowl and soak baechu , 2 slices at a time for 5min.

When done get the baechu out of it and sprinkle salt like you do it to a steak. For 1/2 baechu sprinkle about 400mL each.

Get the water that soaked baechu and pour it to the salted baechu and leave that baechu for (4hrs in summer 6hrs in autumn 8hrs in winter) it needs to be drained so i advise you to put it in a large bowl with a draining hole.

When you are finished you have to make the sauce. Get a cup of cooked japonica rice, 1/6 of asian pear, 1/4 onion, 10 garlic, 2 pieces of ginger (garlic size), (sorry no dried) 2 red pepper, white part of welsh onion, half a cup of fish sauce, and 1/4 cup of water. Cut it in pieces and put it in a blender and blend them all. Blend them completely so that there are nothing but orange/reddish goo. Get the blended sauce and add 2 and a half cup of pepper powder and 3Tsp of sugar and 2Tsp of salt. Then you're ready to dip the baechu in.

You can check if ur baechu is ready or not by bending it. If it smoothly bends, you are ready. If it is not, leave it extra 30min.

If your baechu is ready then wash it in water for 3 times, leaf to leaf and put it in a bowl with a draning hole to drain for 30min. While draining you can prepare the radish. Cut it into pieces like pizza cheese slices.

After the baechu is well drained put the beachu and the sauce together in a bowl and rub the sauce. Rub it in one slice and flip it and rub it in another slice.... Repeat that until you get to the bottom. Rub all the sauce to baechu.

And you have made a traditional kimchi that almost 70% of the korean people makes in their homes! Congrats! Don't forget, this might be spicy to your taste so adjust it to fir your taste.

>> No.6190703

>>6190270
Relax you pathetic Koreaboo. You do know /ck/ is a slow board, right?

>> No.6190747

>>6188157
>>6188157
Get real Korean chilipepper powder gouchugaru if you want high quality kimchi use if its a product of korea but if not look for bright red pepper powder.

Beachu Kimchi is cababge that has been cut a little bit in the middle of the cabbage but then you split it with your hands.
Make sure you use sea salt or at the very least one that doesn't contain iodine as it's not good for the fermentation process.
But sweet glutinous rice flour.

Salt between the leaves of the cabbage and then soak in salt water turning over in thirty minutes time a total of two times.

Make a rice pooridge with the riceflour and water, you may add some sugar in this if you want.

Make a paste with alot of garlic , a knob of ginger, an asian pear an apple and an onion.

then blend the pooridge in after it gets thick which is a few minutes it takes to cook out the flour.

Pour in some fish sauce but remember to taste as you go so you ensure the flavour you want.
Cut up veggies into match sticks: carrot, daikon etc. or korean radish.

You can choose to put in raw oysters or you can leave it out.

Saeujeot is normally used in traditional beachu-kimchi so if you can find it use it.

After the cabbage has been soaking rince it throughouly three times with cold water.
I let mine soak for 5-6 hours.
I would suggest you getting a pair of gloves to make the kimchi as it gets messy.
With your veggies chop around 9 or 5 green onions in two-three centimeter length.
ferment 2 days then in fridge a week

>> No.6190761

>>6188666

Dem trips

>> No.6190772

Can anyone tell me where to get some premade kimchi in the UK? Figure it's the secret to Koreans and if I eat enough I shall gain some of their power

>> No.6190782

>>6190703
>Koreaboo
I like that anon.

>> No.6191903

Is it really necessary to soak the cabbage before making the kimchi?

>> No.6191923

>>6191903
There is a way to make kimchi with non-soaked baechu(cabbage) called geotjeoli(겉절이).

>> No.6192666

>>6191923
But why is soaking necessary at all?

>> No.6192669

>>6192666
It's not. All you really need to do is salt it, store it, drain it (when the liquids the salt sap from the cabbage have submerged it completely), rinse it, dress it and pack it, in that order.

>> No.6192673

>>6188576
This is my favorite recipe. I've never had any kimchi that tasted better than this

>> No.6193482

>>6192669
Ok, thanks!

>> No.6194390

Do I HAVE to add oyster sauce to kimchi? I've never tried it, so I'm a little nervous to use it.

>> No.6194757

Bump

>> No.6194772

>>6194390
No you don't, only do it if you like the flavour of oyster sauce. Raw oysters are best.

Most of these fish sauces are there to kickstart the nitrogen cycle (something familiar for aquarium keepers!) . If you make Buddhist kimchi (sachalkimchi), you use seaweed instead of the fish sauce. Some regions in Korea that are mountainlocked and only have rivers use jeot made out of yabbies.

>> No.6194877

>>6188647
NO SOY SAUCE PLEASE
just ommit the fish sauce, there are pleanty of kimchi variations which ommit fish or fish sauce....soy sauce is NOT a replacement for fish sauce and its not amenable to a nice clean tasteing kimchi

>> No.6195505

>>6194772
What type or brand of seaweed?

>> No.6196821

Does anyone have a recipe using bok choi?

>> No.6197954

Final bump

>> No.6199129

>>6194877
Why no soy sauce?

>> No.6199943

>>6199129
>>6196821
>>6195505
Anyone?

>> No.6199975

소금에 절인 배추를 가지고, 김치속으로 비비면 끝!! Is it so easy american ?