[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 95 KB, 560x420, deak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6181280 No.6181280[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

How do I make food, /ck/?
There's no sticky

What equipment should I have?
Is there even such a thing as really getting good at making food? Or is it pretty much just following a recipe?
Should I just start looking up recipes and making stuff? Is there some informative collection of articles you would recommend reading?

>> No.6181285

>There's no sticky
That's what cookbooks are for.

>What equipment should I have?
What kind of cooking are you planning to do? Normal "western" stuff or something different? It's kinda hard to suggest tools when we don't know what the job will be yet.

>Is there even such a thing as really getting good at making food? Or is it pretty much just following a recipe?

Recipes are starting points. They are not exact. Blindly following a recipe will usually get you decent results, but understand that the times, temperatures, and quantities that a recipe tells you are meant to give you a general idea of what you are doing. You need to pay attention to how the food is cooking using your senses and adjust accordingly. For example, if the recipe says to "bake for 20 minutes" you might have to bake for less or longer depending on how hot your oven is. If it says "Add a teaspoon of red pepper" you might need to add more or less depending on how hot your pepper is, etc.

>Some informative collection of articles...
Sure, there's plenty of good resources online. Good Eats with Alton Brown. Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course, and any number of cookbooks.

If I were you I'd do the following. Pick a recipe for a food you like. Follow recipe. If you encounter a cooking term you're not sure of (e.g. "saute the chicken" or "sweat the vegetables") then google it to understand what you're doing. Repeat.

>> No.6181286
File: 370 KB, 716x559, toughguy.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6181280
You can keep spamming these threads and pretending to be "new" to the board, or you can just fuck off and realize that there will not be a sticky. Ever.

>> No.6181295

>no sticky
>sticky pls
>y no sticky
>hey can there be a sticky?

how about you fucking write your own

>> No.6181298

>>6181280
>How do I make food, /ck/?
Go to the grocery store, buy ingredients, and come home and cook them.

>What equipment should I have?
Rice cooker, slow cooker (great for beans but not much else), steamer basket with pot, non-stick skillet, Dutch oven, roasting pan, knife, cutting board, colander, wire sieve, tongs, silicon spatulas, sheet pan with rack, black pepper mill, rolling pin, vegetable brush, stainless steel mixing bowl, and thermometer. That does about 99% of all my cooking. I might be forgetting something, but the other anons will fill in the gaps.

Food processor, stand-mixer, immersion blender...these are nice tools to have. I rarely use them, though.

>Is there even such a thing as really getting good at making food? Or is it pretty much just following a recipe?
Recipes are an outline. You need to have good timing and technique. Technique comes with an understanding of how to prepare your food with a knife, and the amount of heat to use to cook it. Sometimes adjustments and improvisations need to be made during the process. The more you cook, the more natural it will come.

>Should I just start looking up recipes and making stuff? Is there some informative collection of articles you would recommend reading?
The best way to learn to cook is to cook. Imagine that! So yes, get started making stuff (and throwing stuff away). I would start by searching for recipes on YouTube and watch what the cooks do in the video.

>> No.6181299
File: 182 KB, 1280x960, 0126151746.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

There will never b a sticky

>> No.6181301
File: 1.96 MB, 450x450, whitepeople.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6181285
>Normal western stuff

>> No.6181305

>>6181280
I feel like whoever keeps making these threads want to get nominated to make a sticky because they have an ego.

>> No.6181309

>>6181295

I'm not a mod.