[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 148 KB, 320x325, CossackLaughing.png~320x480.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6165068 No.6165068 [Reply] [Original]

If my chili tastes like my goulash, which one am I making wrong?

>> No.6165072

They're both the same thing, just one has more legumes and is spicy.

>> No.6165073

just tell people that you're into cooking "fusion" food.

seriously tho, are you getting paprika mixed up with chilli powder?

>> No.6165079

>>6165073

Seriously though, you think you should use chili powder to make chili? No, son. You use chili peppers. Whole ones. Many of them.

>> No.6165086

>>6165068
>If my chili tastes like my goulash, which one am I making wrong?

Heck if I know--you haven't described how you make either.

In my experience, Goulash is fairly watery. It often contains potatoes. The dominant seasonings are paprika and caraway. Potatoes, carrots, etc, are common additions.

Chili is usually thick. It contains chili peppers rather than paprika powder. Adding potatoes or carrots to chili would be very unusual. Caraway is unheard of in chili. Instead, cumin and/or mexican oregano would be typical spices.

>> No.6165090

>>6165079
you use both

>> No.6165094

>>6165090

Why would I use dried-out flavorless chili powder if I have fresh chilies? What does it add that the chilies themselves do not?

>> No.6165117

>>6165094
/ck/ used to be a decent board with semi knowledgeable posters. it used to be a halcyon wonder-land devoid of contrarian shit-posting.

go back to wherever you came from. you're lowering the tone

>> No.6165140

>>6165094
A couple things, actually. Fresh chilies don't have the same flavour as dried chilies do.

Think of it this way: do raisins taste like grapes, Anon? Does paprika taste like red bell pepper?

I'm not a food scientist, you see, so I can't begin to give you the whys or wherefores of the change in flavour from fresh to dry. I can only tell you that there is a distinct flavour change and neither is worse nor better than the other, with each suited to certain uses.

While I don't generally use storebought chili powder to make my chili, I most certainly do use dried chilies, both ones I've bought and ones I've dried myself at home, that I powder just before use to make it. I use both fresh chilies that I roast then blitz smooth as well as dried chilies that I powder to dry-marinate the meat to make my chili.

>> No.6165148

>>6165079
WRONG. Chili is made from dried chilies that are boiled and then pureed.

lrn2chili

>> No.6165155

>>6165148

What does that have to do with chili powder?

>> No.6165161

>>6165148
That's one way, sure.

>> No.6165166

>>6165140
>Fresh chilies don't have the same flavour as dried chilies do.

Fair enough, this was clearly my fault. I was thinking WHOLE chilies yet I kept typing "fresh". Maybe I need to lay off the booze?

Anyway, I agree that dried chilies are certainly important. I use a combination of fresh and dried whole chilies.

What I meant to say was: if you have whole chiles (including dried ones), what need is there for the powder?

>> No.6165170

>>6165166
people who enter chili competitions insist on powdered ingredients because it's easier to create a consistent flavor and make small adjustments

if you're just cooking for yourself and don't care about the taste changing use whatever

>> No.6165184

>>6165140
>Fresh chilies don't have the same flavour as dried chilies do
That's because they're largely made of water, while dried they're concentrated. And certain compounds oxidize during manufacturing of the powder, altering the taste a little.
Clearly, fresh chilis are healthier, and should make the base of your cooking.

>> No.6165190

>>6165166
stop trying to backtrack you interminable faggot.

>i wuz drunk . i dint know wot i was sayin

>> No.6165203

>>6165068
If you make goulash, statistically speaking, you're more likely more European than American, so I would guess you're making the chili wrong. Then again, you could be a terrible cook altogether and are making them both very wrong. Then again again, you could be bucking the probability. Then again again, the probability is off, since this is 4chan and 4chan is full of fake posts, making that the more probable answer.

Irregardless, we need more information for a clear answer, OP.

>> No.6165208

>>6165190

so if I fuck up and make a mistake I'm not allowed to own up to it? harsh crowd here.

>> No.6165214 [DELETED] 

>>6165208
fuck off

saged

>> No.6165239

>>6165184
I don't see how it's "clear" than either is healthier than the other.

Anyway, my chili is a little unorthodox, but I do indeed use both fresh chilies and dried. Fresh chilies are used to make the sauce/gravy itself as well as in the initial flavouring of the base (what I know as a wet masala; I don't know any western equivalent, sorry) and dried are powdered and used as spices.

Perhaps it's because I'm used to curry-making and chili is a relatively new thing to me, but I make my chili the same way I make a lot of my curries: make dry masala, coat cut-up meat in it and set aside to dry marinate, make and cook a wet masala, add the meat to the pot and brown it a bit, then add the liquid, liquefied and/or puréed ingredients to cover and allow to stew until cooked through.
While the technique for me is identical whether I'm making a chili or a curry, the ingredients and flavour profiles differ significantly.

>> No.6165249

add some cornstarch.

>> No.6165280

>>6165239
its the chili

>> No.6165373

Doesn't chili have cumin while goulash doesn't? I always use a tonne of cumin in mine, and none in goulash.

>> No.6166665

>>6165068
Your chili because you used chunks of meat and didn't add beans like you're supposed to, For chil iyou need to use minced beef and add beans.