[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 30 KB, 320x400, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6150691 No.6150691 [Reply] [Original]

So quick question /ck/, when it comes to nutrition facts on products do they list them for everything contained in the package? I'm trying to watch my sodium intake but I love olives and pickles. Do they factor in the juice into the nutrition data?

>> No.6150696

>>6150691

Those olives are GOAT

Worth the breath and sweating out garlic stink.

>> No.6150701

>>6150691
I FUCKING LOVE JARRED OLIVES

also it depends on what they say. if it says '4 olives' then it is likely displaying the nutrition of only 4 olives and not juice as well. if it says '30 grams' then thats a bit more ambiguous, and if it says something like '20ml' then you might be in trouble

>> No.6150710

>>6150701
It says 1 olive has 6% of daily sodium intake. I can eat like 15 of these fuckers for a snack. ;_;

>> No.6151119

olive general?

>> No.6151123

>>6151119
Sure. I need to find a week to make salad with some olives in it.

>> No.6151141

>>6150710

If you don't have any hereditary heart, kidney or other defects associated with salt in your family history you'll be fine as long as you eat a lot of potassium to balance it, mushrooms, avocado, apricot, spinach, basically cu/ck/ery foods. Get some exercise too.

>> No.6151960

I'm thinking of getting potassium supplements and just eating a jar of these in once sitting. My blood pressure's high already but fuck i love olives.

>> No.6152006

>>6151960

Supplements range from completely ineffective to bizarrely composed, with a short stop off at overpricedville along the way.

The entire supplements industry is a sham in the developed world outside of clear cases of medical utility. If you're eating white mushrooms (which you should be) and fruit, your potassium levels will be fine. If you want to take a pure potassium supplement, and not a multivitamin, you alleviate some of the risks, the ones that come to mind are vitamin A and the E/K balance. It's something you should talk over with a doctor, especially with your blood pressure being abnormal to start with.

Obviously in some countries it's not that easy to just speak to a doctor about supplements, but I'd say it's worth whatever you pay for the appointment to make sure that you don't end up a ticking timebomb of osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease, kidney or liver failure or just a good old fashioned stroke. The medical industry is only just starting to deal with the first cases of problems caused by lifelong supplementation. I realize I'm going on and on about multivitamins when you only suggested potassium, but it's easy to say oh well, if I'm paying for just potassium I may as well get the whole package.

At the very least, do your own research and start out with the mindset opposite to the one you want to hear. Try to conclusively disprove it before you do anything. What I mean is, if you really want to take potassium, don't start googling "potassium is good for you" and instead google "potassium is bad for you."

>> No.6152020

>>6150691
I could eat a whole damn jar of those in a sitting.
so good much yum

>> No.6152039

>>6152006
Well I was using an app for a while to track the nutrition facts of everything I ate and I was always at like 20% of the potassium I should be getting and like 200% of the sodium. I tried eating bananas for breakfast every day but even that wasn't enough.

I always figured if I wanted to I could just go the supplement route thanks for shattering my dreams though.

>> No.6152044
File: 183 KB, 717x880, 1gsn0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6152020
>much yum

>> No.6152075

>>6152039

Standard cans here are 400g, half cans are 200g.

Beans on the whole are good sources of potassium. I use kidney beans a lot in chili, tacos, fajitas etc. A 200g can of kidney beans has 20% of your potassium RDI. A 400g can of tomatoes has another 20%. You can easily use both of them on any kind of cheap 1-pot "slurry" dish. Mushrooms would usually go in too, another 14% per 100g.

Spinach has 15% per 100g, I usually have 100g spinach with a tuna or salmon steak for breakfast.

My guilty pleasure is adding pistachio nuts to lots of things that don't really call for pistachio nuts. 30% per 100g. Lots of calories though, 600 per 100g.

Bananas are actually not that bad for potassium, I don't like them but you could get through a couple a day if you tried cutting them up and putting them in and around your morning oats.

I dunno man, I'd be happy to go through it with you, but I can't really give any useful advice without knowing your eating habits. You could try just eating more types of beans to start with. If you can make soups, lentil bases are brilliant and a load of leek, onion, mushroom, carrot etc can't hurt.