[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 53 KB, 500x375, IMG_59325.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6144854 No.6144854 [Reply] [Original]

what are some easy things to bring to a potluck for work?

>> No.6144868

>>6144854
pie or some other dessert is my go to

cannot be fucked up, will always taste more or less good and everyone likes sweets

>> No.6144885

>>6144854
I usually am a pretty big hit with bottled water.

>> No.6144889

Lasagna
Stuffed shells
Macaroni salad
Tortilla chips with hommade dip
Crockpot (meatballs, chilli, kielbasa)

For a Christmas work party I brought pull apart bread made from pizza dough with a mix of mozarella and cream cheese inside, everyone liked it and it was super easy to make

>> No.6144926

Pretty much anything in a crockpot is convenient since you can cook, transport and keep it warm in the same dish. Chili, jambalaya, red beans and rice, pot roast are all decent standby main dish items.

Dips are also good. There's a Frank's Red Hot buffalo chicken dip that I am quite fond of but spinach and artichoke dip is good too.

Also, sandwiches are nice because they require no utensils (which are sometimes in short supply at potlucks). Pulled pork slider sandwiches (I slice dinner rolls to use as buns) are probably my favorite thing to bring to potlucks since they are a crockpot item, they require no utensils to eat and they are small (another thing to consider: many potlucks feature lots of different dishes and small portion dishes are nice because they mean everyone can try lots of different things).

also, pretty much any dessert item will go over well, and most do not require heating or refrigeration. However, there is a tendency at many potlucks I have attended to be very dessert-heavy, so I try to bring a main/side dish if I can.

>> No.6144943
File: 82 KB, 905x1110, Wunsche Bros Sauerkraut Sausage Balls.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6144854
Sauerkraut Sausage Balls!
Everyone loves these little fuckers.

>> No.6144951

Yesterday was the worst dinner I have ever had. I make a rule of not socializing with coworkers, and I should not have broken it. This may take 2 posts, it was THAT bad.

6 coworkers met at someone's house yesterday under the pretense of "Irish stew". I grudgingly accepted the invitation and arrived at 2 pm (when I was told to come). I brought traditional soda bread that had to be baked first. The host made a bit of a stink about using the oven when he had other things in there, but I told him I wanted it fresh.

The stew was still cooking and the host was already drinking alcohol at this time. In the middle of a conversation with a member of the opposite sex, the host tells me, "Please, no talk about politics. PLEASE not today". I said if more people talked about politics we would be in a better country, and he got very argumentative so I just dropped it.

I was drinking apple juice that I brought over and the host kept trying to get me to have a beer. He was obviously intoxicated and starting saying how maybe I would be relaxed and "cooler" if I had some alcohol. It was pathetic, like peer pressure from a high school TV show.

Anyway, at that point I became withdrawn and went for a walk. I came back right before dinner, and that is when the fun started.

He made "Irish stew" with beef, carrots, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, hot sauce, oregano, tomato, and various ingredients. I started telling others that proper Irish stew should only contain mutton, potato, onion, and water, and that beef, tomato, black pepper, hot sauce, and other ingredients would not be available then and therefore it was a modern stew, not Irish stew.

We started eating and someone asked me about what I had said about real Irish stew. The host looked annoyed so I told him. He turned red and told me if I didn't like it I could "get the fuck out and take my apple juice with me".

>> No.6144955

I was shocked and speechless. He left the room and his girlfriend (they are unmarried but live together) apologized. Eventually, people started talking more comfortably and he came back and was brooding and drinking more.

The stew was okay, but not authentic. I asked him if he knew that mutton was on sale at a local store and he flew into a tirade, bringing up any small error or faux pas I have ever committed at work. People were trying to calm him down, and I simply responded to him in a quiet and calm voice, and said that I appreciated his invitation and his "take" on Irish stew, but it would have been nicer if the company had been more warm.

He got up and pulled me out of the chair, stretching my sweater at the neck. He was literally screaming in my face and had his fist up in a threatening manner.

I told him I would call the cops if he hit me. He then told me to get out and take my "fucking juice and shit bread" with him. A second loaf was still in the oven with 7 minutes left, and I said I wasn't leaving until it was cooked and I could take it.

He shouted at me to leave or he would call the cops ON ME (imagine) and then threw the bread out of the oven on the ground. I was shaking with emotions and told the group that I enjoyed my time with them but I couldn't say the same about the host.

It was a horrible affair, but I decided to make authentic Irish stew today, because I was let down yesterday and had a hankering for it. It is simmering on the stove and I plan on bringing it to lunch tomorrow, one bowl for me and some for the host. It will be a subtle form of revenge as well as a way to show him that I am a better cook and am the more mature, forgiving person.

>> No.6144964

i always bring chicken wings

everyone likes them but the best part is there are never enough napkins

>> No.6144968

>>6144951
>>6144955
the most autistic thing ive ever read. holy fuck you sound like an insufferable prick.

>> No.6144973

>>6144968
>being this new

>> No.6144975

Wings, bitch. Bake them in the oven, toss them in sauce, then throw them into a crock pot to keep them warm.

>>6144968
It's also stale copypasta, don't get too wound up about it.

>> No.6144977
File: 31 KB, 301x358, 1312012599689.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6144951
>>6144955
I want you to die please

>> No.6144979

Everyone likes homemade mac and cheese.

>> No.6144980

>>6144975
oh lol. ive never wanted to punch someone so much ever.

but holy fuck id be lying if i dont want to have an irish stew right now

anyone got an authentic recipie?

>> No.6145078

>>6144854

Frozen lasagna.

>> No.6145094

>>6144980
Mutton, potato, onion, and water.

>> No.6145110

>>6144975
such newfriends
wow

bring utensils and cups

>> No.6145112

>>6145094
YEAH BUT WHATS THE RATIOS BRO

>> No.6145129

>>6145112
1:3:7:28

>> No.6145230

>>6144854
Look at the signup sheet
>we don't have a signup sheet
Make a fucking signup sheet.

Not a lot of people bringing desserts? Bring a dessert.
Crockpot of meat if not a lot of those; veggie platter if office is at least 30% women (they love the idea, but nobody eats it so you have plenty to bring home, dick movie but works last minute); homemade bread; something cold salad; beverages; non-raw sushi-type stuff; chili; etc. etc.

Make sure to account for the availability of electrical outlets and ovens/microwaves.

>> No.6145262

>>6144955
yeah that was really hard to read, how can you have friends

>> No.6145278

>>6145230
>Not a lot of people bringing desserts? Bring a dessert.
Dessert is actually one of the most common items at a potluck.

>easy to prepare
>hard to fuck up
>very few people dislike it
>even the store-bought/pre-made stuff isn't half-bad

>> No.6145298

>>6145230
we have a sign up sheet but only 3 people signed up so far
the office is mainly middle aged women
i guess i forgot to add that i'm not from /ck/ so i don't really cook much..

>> No.6145397

>>6144854
Chili

>> No.6146523
File: 648 KB, 1250x3339, lentil-salad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Bring this OP. Goes with everything, easy to make, looks fancy enough to impress and lentils give it an aura of "might actually be decent" health-wise.

>> No.6148251

>>6144955
an hero

>> No.6148341

My favorite is beans. Try this recipe:

1 large onion, coarsly chopped
2 medium tomatoes, coarsly chopped
4 serrano peppers, finely chopped (w/seeds)
1 cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 cups "Clamato" juice
2 large cans Bush's pinto beans
6 strips of bacon
1 Tbs oil (or lard)

Cook onion in hot oil (lard) until just getting soft. Add bacon.
When bacon just starts to brown, add beans and all remaining ingredients.
Bring to boil and simmer 45 minutes.

Unless you work with a bunch of wimps, this will get eaten pretty quickly.

>> No.6148370

baked ziti, 7 layer dip, potato salad, other similar shit

alternatively just make something like hummus or salsa and bring some pita or tortilla chips.

>> No.6148374

>>6144968
What's your problem, it WASN'T Irish stew

>> No.6148379

>>6144951
>>6144955
This is very old pasta

>> No.6148406
File: 36 KB, 215x280, 1416970440257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6144926
>Frank's Red Hot buffalo chicken dip

That shit is disgusting.

>> No.6148414

>>6148341
This does sound pretty good. I have a problem with always cooking onions forever though. They just taste so good that way.