[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 236 KB, 1600x1200, Beef-Stroganoff[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6134801 No.6134801 [Reply] [Original]

Making Stroganoff for the first time next week. There are so many conflicting recipes so I'm basically just winging it.

My question is: at what stage should I add the wine? Before the rest of the stock to deglaze the pot? Should I let it reduce for a while before adding stock and cream?

On a side note, which herbs are best to use?

>> No.6134807

before the stock and cream. basically the first liquid you add.

parsley and thyme are nice. thyme in the beginning, parsley at the end.

>> No.6134814
File: 63 KB, 460x276, clive_palmer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Put paprika in it, and use a combination of wild mushrooms. Also baking in the oven will intensify the flavours.

>> No.6134818

>>6134807
>>6134814

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely use Paprika (I'm assuming smoked will be fine as I use it in chilli all the time), unfortunately don't have a pot which is ovenproof right now but I should probably invest in one.

>> No.6134825

>>6134818
Doesn't matter so much, but a combo of mushrooms will bring your dish to epic levels.

I guess Hungarian Paprika, or hot, or whatever. It's known as Hungarian Goulash.

>> No.6134842

>>6134825
I have never been adventurous with mushrooms, partially due to their lack of availability. I usually get chestnut ones from the big supermarkets and I occasionally see they have shitake as well. Where might I find a more exotic selection? Asian shops maybe?

>> No.6134870

>>6134842
Asian shops yep. Puccini's you might get at Italian Delis. They're commonly dried, soaked in water for a day, then used in a Mushroom Risotto for intense mushroomy goodness. As long as you got something a little different in there, it'll be worth it.

Also, ive served mine with rice instead of pasta. Doesn't matter, but i think it tastes less rich with the sour cream sauce.

>> No.6134889

>>6134870
I was planning on serving it with brown rice anyway. Somehow I just think it'd work better than pasta for the dish.