[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 828 KB, 1920x1080, DSC07341.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6088306 No.6088306 [Reply] [Original]

So, I made gravlax, and it's been 48 hours. It has a really strong fishy smell, did I fuck up? I kept it in the fridge the whole time, and the fish was really fresh and odorless to begin with. I only used salt, sugar and dill. will the smell go away once I've rinsed it off? How long does it usually keep after it's been rinsed?

>> No.6088542

Well I am not there to actually sniff it but I feel gravlax and smoked fish has a strong fishy scent normally. I mean it is fish and making gravlax is sort of an osmosis scenario and much of the fishiness has come out, salt and sugar has gone in denaturing some protein. Scent change isn't alarming. Does it have a fish scent or an OFF fish scent? Is it quite slimy or a normal texture?

>> No.6088908

Gravlax should smell appetizing and delicious if it smells fishy at all you probably fucked up.

>> No.6089610

>>6088542

It had an unpleasant fishy smell. The skin and the fatty tissue near the skin smelled the worst, and had a grey color, so I cut it off and tossed it. Should I have removed the skin to begin with?

I tasted the red flesh and the texture was beautiful, like a very soft gummy candy, and it melts in your mouth. Little too salty, but I guess I cured it too long.