[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 809 KB, 2048x1152, 20141218_195454.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6075130 No.6075130 [Reply] [Original]

Ok, /ck/, I have this knife and as you can see it is in very poor shape, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere and I don't know what this shape of knife is called so I can't search it online. What kind of knife would this be called?

Also, could you recommend me a brand? I'm not looking to spend $4,000 on a Japanese knife make from katanas folded over 4 billion times, just notes on what brands are shit and should be avoided would be fine.

>> No.6075140

looks like a sharpened butter knife. that broad tip is for spreading stuff.

>> No.6075151

>>6075130
cant's see the maker's name, but appears to say made in japan, and I believe the logo is IC (maybe an odd XC)
It's a typical butcher's knife that goes by a lot of different names according to locality. Straight blade butcher's knife, weighted tip butcher's knife, for example, but mostly it's just called a butcher's knife. Some slicers mimick the shape, but the thickness and wideness of the blade tells me it's made for more than carving.

>> No.6075155

>>6075130
I've seen cheapo knives like that at Asian groceries; they usually go for a couple of dollars. The people that work there might be able to tell you more about that kind/shape of knife.

>> No.6075160

>>6075140

lol no.

that's called a Butcher knife. Sometimes called a ribbing knife.

>>Brand
Old hickory if you are OK with carbon steel

Dexter-russel or Forschner if you want something you can throw in the dishwasher

>> No.6075161

Butcher's Scimeter

Seconding Old Hickory. Just keep it away from citrus and especially pineapple, mango, and papaya until it's got a dark patina.

>> No.6075163

>>6075130
That is a very nice Japanese Lifetime Cutlery chefs knife that has been sharpened nearly to death and reshaped at the top. Good luck getting something similar. They are no longer made.

>> No.6075166

>>6075160
>Butcher knife
>>6075163
My bad - not chef but butcher.

>> No.6075220

>>6075161
I know I can get a bit lazy and just throw it in the dishwasher, so I'll go with Forschner since I was able to find this type of blade on Amazon in that maker.

>>6075163
>Japanese Lifetime Cutlery isn't made anymore
That's a shame. I have a whole bunch of cutlary by them that's, well, admittedly abused and all but this specific knife seems to have fared well. Maybe it's time I get a bigger knife block so I can store everything in it.

Thanks again for the help guys, I got a new Forschner Butcher's knife on order and a bigger knife block.

>> No.6075328

>>6075220
>I know I can get a bit lazy and just throw it in the dishwasher
No one can help you. It will never stay sharp. And you're an idiot for not simply wiping the knife after each use.

>> No.6075524

>>6075328

>somehow hot water magically dulls a knife but not not when applied by a sponge

I didn't buy a dishwasher to hand wash my shit

>> No.6076476

>>6075524
It´s not the water, its the abrasive granulates in the dishwashing detergent.

It takes 5 seconds to wash your knifeblade, 5 minutes to sharpen the edge back.
Your choice.

>> No.6076614

>>6075328
>It will never stay sharp.

Bullshit. While I agree with you that throwing a knife in a dishwasher is bad practice for a number of reasons, it does not harm the blade. I have several dexter and forschner knives that I keep around for roomates, cookouts, etc when I don't want to get out a nice knife. They have been through the dishwasher countless times, and I've never noticed any effect on the sharpness. Hell, that's what they're designed for--they're dishwasher-safe knives for commerical kitchens. They're meant to go through an industrial dishwasher, which is a hell of a lot "harsher" than a home one.

>>6076476
>abrasive granulates
There is no such thing in dishwasher detergent. The powdered degergent dissolves completely and does not contain abrasive. You can determine this easily by reading the ingredients on the packaging or simply by putting some in a cup of water. mix it up a little and check for residue in the bottom. You will find there is none. Which makes sense given that your diswasher contains a pump to circiulate (and drain) the wash water. If it contained an abrasive the pump would wear out in a matter of moments.

The reason why people say not to put knives in the dishwasher is because:
1) many knives have wooden or composite handles which can be damaged by the long soak in water.
2) it's a safety hazard to reach into a dishwasher where there could be exposed blades
3) It's easy for the utensils in the dishwasher to bang against each other during the cycle. this is what can dull, dent, or chip the edge of a knife.
4) If you have a carbon steel knife the dishwasher will strip the patina from the blade and then it's a rust magnet.

>> No.6076945
File: 1.05 MB, 2124x2775, tojiro.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Guys, you never told me the Tojiro came in such a weeb box, goddamn. I am become gomenasai.

Sorry to turn this into a shitposting thread.

>> No.6076987
File: 139 KB, 319x480, 1362446578657.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6076945

Is that still the factory edge? I can tell by the way the shinogi intersects with the hamato at a 45 degree angle. Fix this baka

>> No.6077012

>>6076945
Look how it says Tojiro and made in Japan in English on the box AND the knife. Throw that westernized shit knife away and get a more Nippon knife

>> No.6077022

>>6077012

It's disgusting, when I got mine the only baka amelicanoru letters were "DP", none of this "Tojiro" or "Made in Japan". Of course it's made in Japan, where else would it be made? You think I'd be buying a non made in Japan knife?

>> No.6077260
File: 208 KB, 600x517, YOSHIHIRO_VG-10_46_Layers_Hammered_Damascus_Gyuto_Japanese_Chef_Knife_Shitan180-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone here know about Yoshihiro Cutlery? I have the knife pictured here and while I think it's good and has been sharp for 1 year of frequent home use, I wonder if I am missing out on better knife possibilities. The reviews are high, but are those just other equally ignorant people who don't know better??