[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 39 KB, 400x600, ainsley.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6046765 No.6046765 [Reply] [Original]

How do I become a chef at Applebees or Chillis? I really like to cook but have no certificates or training. Any tips

>> No.6046775

>>6046765
Start as a dishwasher, put some actual effort into it, and move up when the next overworked cook quits

>> No.6046783

>>6046775
is it hard being a cook there? what exactly do they do? everyone says they just microwave

>> No.6046793

>>6046765
my best tip in life is to not turn your hobby into your work

for example, i like to hunt a lot. i thought about becoming a game warden for a while, but decided against it because i knew that making my hobby into my work would take the joy out of my hobby

i eventually went into finance and got a pretty swell gig, not gonna say what it is, but i enjoy it

then i take a few weeks off every year to go innawods and have some hunting time with my buddies.
this way i can really savour and enjoy my hobby, and enjoy my work too, instead of blending them together and not having much fun at all

>> No.6046794

>>6046793
thats actually a very valid point

>> No.6046799

>>6046793
also can you imagine how much joy cooking for applebees would suck out of your life?

>> No.6046807

>>6046799
but you get to work with a bunch of QT's

>> No.6046813

>>6046765
>How do I become a chef at Applebees or Chillis?
Get C's in high school

>> No.6046817

>>6046799
lol, im sure some folks enjoy it

being a short order cook is a good gig for some people, it's much better than working at mcdonalds or waffle house

and i have a feeling that the chain-resto work is shorter term for most folks, aside from those aspiring to be head chefs at these chain restos

but anyway, to each their own

>> No.6046827

>>6046765
OP, I can honestly say that if you enjoy cooking like I do, do not get a job at those type of restaurants. I love cooking, and I worked for a year as a "grill master" at Red Lobster. Boy, it sucked all passion for cooking out of me. Those places do not care about food. Push yourself to get another comfortable job, so you can enjoy the wonders of cooking as a hobby, not a job.

>> No.6046830

>>6046827
what exactly do you do as far as cooking? most people assume those places are pretty microwave hevay

>> No.6046838

>>6046830
They ask you how you would make a grilled cheese if your microwave is broken

>> No.6046839

>>6046838
foreman grill

>> No.6046848

>>6046830
At Red Lobster, grill masters were responsible for running the kitchen and grilling all proteins. We also ran a fry guy, a broiler guy, a baker, and an assembler who plated. Most of the side dishes were prep'd ahead of time and then microwaved. Also, all pasta dishes and sauces were microwaved.

>> No.6046919

>>6046765
Apply and don't be a total clumsy retard.

I worked as a prep in an Applebee's one summer and it was a fucking horrible job. The management was incompetent and the kitchen was poorly run; we regularly ran out of potatoes, red peppers, and broccoli before I'd gotten all the day's prep done, which constitute a large portion of the sides that godforsaken "restaurant" offers. There were all of two non-slip mats in the entire kitchen, both of which were (understandably, I'll admit) near the dish pit, and I'd almost fall pretty often despite wearing proper shoes. The place was understaffed as well: the prep list for me on any given day was well beyond what one person could reasonably be expected to accomplish without any break for a meal. Knives were mistreated by the line and dull consistently. Only cutting glove in the kitchen was fucking gigantic thanks to the obese fuck that was our fry cook. I could go on, but I think you get the point.

If you really wanna work at a "fast casual" place than by all means go for it. Just know that you will likely do no real cooking beyond reheating grilled chicken breasts and throwing bowls of fettuccine alfredo in a microwave for 2 minutes.

>> No.6048376

>>6046919
how do they prepare steaks at Applebees?