[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 3.74 MB, 3225x2386, salad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5902451 No.5902451 [Reply] [Original]

What are /ck/'s favorite ways to liven up a salad? Especially interested in methods that don't render the nutritional content of the greens obsolete, ie healthy dressings to make or use.

>> No.5902535

fruit and/or nuts are nice additions. strawberries, dried cranberries, pecans, walnuts, etc.

>> No.5902539

semen

>> No.5902552

pomegranate vinegar

shits good with everything and any salad

>> No.5902569

>>5902552

Haven't heard of this. Have to try.

>> No.5902571

kale and arugula

>> No.5902588

use different oils along with lemon juice; i.e. pumpkin seed oil, sesame oil, walnut oil.

Add avocado for texture and a bit of creaminess; be sure to pick soft avocadoes.

Adding potatoes that are boiled in a curry water is another favourite of mine

Adding large lima beans is another nice addition to salads that can increase protein content; make sure to use extra olive oil and vinegar with these and potatoes

the following veggies are great in salads:

celery leaves
endive
Arugula
radicchio
tomato
cucumber
dandelion
radishes
mustard leaves
beet leaves as well as shredded beets
sliced or shredded carrot
add a bit of crushed garlic or spicy pepper to liven it up

hemp seeds are a healthy delicious addition

you can try making your own dressings like a cashew butter and lime-juice dressing or a tahini and poppy seed and lemon juice dressing; i dunno im just brain storming here.

just go crazy and follow your dreams

>> No.5902589

FRENCH FRIED ONIONS LIKE U USE 4 GREEN BEEN CASSEROLE

>> No.5903093

hummus

>> No.5903851

-5 tbs mayo
-5 tsp salt
That's it, enjoy

>> No.5904444

fruit
croutons
cheese

>> No.5904470

>>5902451
>What are /ck/'s favorite ways to liven up a salad?
I generally try to go for classics instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Maybe make a Nicoise for lunch. Or you could do one of those layered German salads with boiled root veggies on the bottom, a layer of greens, then other veggies on top, dressed in a yogurt (or buttermilk) and herb dressing. That's really good, and the dressing is what ranch is a shit tier copy of - once you make the real thing you'll never go back. Or you could end a rich meal with the classic French/Swiss salad of endive, green apple and walnuts in a Dijon vinaigrette.

When just dressing greens my go to dressings are Dijon vinaigrette or shallot and sherry vinegar vinaigrette. Both are great. If you're doing more aggressive greens with a more central Italian meal you could do the Roman thing, and dress them with anchovy, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and black pepper. That gives the satisfaction of a Caesar without the weight of the egg, cheese and croutons.

Another favorite is a Greek way of doing greens: chopped romaine, scallion and dill dressed with salt, olive oil and lemon juice. Top with a little crumbled feta. Really fucking simple, but seriously off the chain good.

>> No.5904497

>>5902451

Salad of the gods:

Spinach, goat cheese, golden raisins, pecans or walnuts, a little balsamic and honey.

You can sub the spinach for kale if you are into that sort of thing.

also good.. just about any green leafy veg, with about 2 T of any dressing.

Egg whites, chic peas, black beans, quinoa, vegan burger patties.. i use all these things from time to time to augment salads and keep things different. lettuce by itself gets so fucking broing so fucking quick.

last night i had a lettuce based salad with kalamata olives, and slices of deli meat and deli cheese, mushrooms, tomato, with a nice vinnaigrette. while not the heallthiest salad in the world because of the deli meat, it certainly was a great change and super delish!

gotta keep switching it up if you want to be able to convince yourself that salads are worth keeping on the menu, otherwise you'll get bored.

an unhealthy salad is still probably a million times more nutritious than a lot other meals out there so try to stick with it!

>> No.5904522

>>5902451

GRILLED SALMON

>> No.5904946

>>5902451
A bit of buttered french bread on the side
dried/fresh cranberries
Crumbled feta/goats cheese

>> No.5905412

>>5902451
Fruit and/or nuts. Dried cranberries, pomegranate arils, almonds...

A bit of olive oil and vinegar, too.

>> No.5905540

Yogurt dressing (greek yogurt with herbs/spices +buttermilk) and roasted vegetables on top.

>> No.5905549

>healthy dressing

Get whole flax seeds, grind them up in a spice grinder, and then mix in some balsamic vinegar. The vinegar will absorb into the flax and you can spread it around the greens (may look a bit weird though). Adds extra fiber, is high in lignans and antioxidants, and high in omega-3s.

Walnuts are also pretty tasty and good for you

>> No.5905562

This is my go-to salad

-cilantro
-baby kale, baby arugula
-alfalfa sprouts
-diced avocado
-sliced cherry tomatoes
-red cabbage
-diced tomatillo
-sweet potato boiled and sliced, then slightly stir fried with coconut oil and ground coridander+peanuts

dressing: tahini, sriracha, ginger, garlic, salt, and lemon juice beaten until thin

I think its just a matter of variety in ingredients and keeping your greens interesting