[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 60 KB, 526x395, too much want.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5867373 No.5867373 [Reply] [Original]

I've just started living alone /ck/, and I've decided the first dish I want to try and master is fried rice. Any tips? What sort of rice should I use and why?

>> No.5867379

Idk. I think you're better off mastering eggs. You will never finish, but continuing anyway will make you a better cook.

>> No.5867380

Risotto with white wine and seafood

>> No.5867422

>>5867379

I honestly don't like eggs very much, they taste really sulfurous to me for some reason. I can stand them when theyre heavily fried or there are a lot of other ingredients, though.

>> No.5867449

>>5867380
this
although i haven't even tried
actually fuck it

op master paella instead
fuck italy and fuck china

>> No.5867456

>>5867373

Use leftover rice that has gotten hard and don't overdo it with the sesame oil. Consider using spam as a protein; that shit is dope in fried rice.

>> No.5867481

Buy long grain rice.
>Wash rice.
>Rinse rice.
Repeat greentext a total of three times, at least, until water from the rinse runs clear.
Drip dry rice.
Put rice in pot.
Add half the volume of water as rice (yes: half the volume IE for every 2 cups rice, add 1 cup of water).
Set the pot to high heat with the lid on. Best if you have glass.
When you hear (or see, in the case of glass) the water begin to bubble, lower the heat to the lowest possible you can while maintaining that low bubbling.
Cook until the water is absorbed then just another half-to-full minute beyond that.
Off the heat and let it sit, lid still on, another 10-20 minutes.
Remove lid and fluff rice.
Eat it with something and store the leftover rice in the fridge.

Now!!! Fried rice!
Simplest fried rice recipe ever: garlic and egg fried rice.
In a bowl, beat an egg to nearly uniform yellow.
Heat a pan on high until wisps of smoke appear, then oil it, add the egg and off the heat.
Scramble the egg until almost, but not quite, totally set then remove back to the bowl you beat them in and set aside.
Mince a clove or two of garlic.
Place into the now-cooling pan along with 1tbsp of oil.
Set the pan back to high heat and, when fragrant, add 1 cup of day-old, cold rice from the fridge.
Add a couple tbsp of water, 2-4 at most, and break the rice up.
Stir it about until the rice absorbs the excess moisture (or it evaporates; whichever) then stir-fry until the rice has taken some nice colour.
Off the heat but continue stirring and tossing about, adding the egg; cook for about a minute by residual heat.
Salt to taste and remove from the pan.
Om nom nom.

You can do this with shortgrain/sticky, mediumg grain or arborio rice, but they're more finicky to work with than long grain.
Enjoy your fried rice!
>rather than water, you can add soy sauce, if you'd like

>> No.5867488

>>5867373
I like using leftover brown rice, since I find the texture works really well in fried rice.

>> No.5867490

>>5867422
Sulfur flavor is only produced by overcooking. Stop doing that.

>> No.5867495

Ok faggots the best way to boil rice is to bring it up to the boil then take the pot off, put a teatowel between the lid and pot then let it steam on the minimum temperature of the stove. Perfect rice every time.