[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 50 KB, 640x360, 120207060930-restaurant-servers-story-top.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5779269 No.5779269 [Reply] [Original]

Food Industry Workers Unite.

From the 9-5 Junkie working the beat at McDonalds to Cooks and Waitress / (Waiters) severing High Society Folks at a 5 Star Restaurant.

All are invited even you Hot Dog Stand Guy and Concession worker[Stadium / Movie Theater / Grocery Store, etc]. If you serve food whether you made it or someone else did for you, then you are invited.

Share your stories of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly or whatever you feel like

>> No.5779275

>>5779269
I'm thinking of working at a mcdonalds when I graduate from university as it's a family tradition to have your first job in a mcdonalds.

>> No.5779279

>>5779269
Line cook at a fine dining restaurant in NYC

>tfw all your line cook buddies have your back
>tfw runners bring you ice cold quarts of tea/soda/water/juice because you're too busy working
>tfw I always feel the need to come to work early because I feel so at home here

The pay's shit, but I'm so happy I don't even care

>> No.5779286
File: 465 KB, 500x500, 1398247794029.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5779279
I miss my line cook job, it was exactly as you are describing yours. im working in an office at a desk now, feels bad man

>> No.5779289

>be me
>be 20
>get promoted to "kitchen manager" at local mom and pop place
>basically just makes the other workers listen to me so boss doesn't have to be there
>I'm a glorified babysitter
>boss hires new line cook
>let's call him D
>D is 16
>D has one prior job, and it was mcdonalds working the fryers
>show him our fryers and give him a list of items to know on the menu
>"wait, how do I do this? Where's the freezer?"
>imgunnamurderthiskidicantell.jpg
>dinner service wasn't as painful as I thought it would be
>cleaning up kitchen
>have D strain the fryers
>swears he knows what he is doing
>cleaning oven right next to fryers
>Fuckhat opens the fryer up with no pot
>350 degree oil spills on my feet
>burns like all hell
>slide off shoes and my feet look like they are melting
>go to hospital
>3rd degree burns
>can't work for a couple months
>day I get back to actually working and not just scheduling and shit I fire the fuck out of D
>no one even questioned me

Also the first time I'd ever fired someone at a job, feels good man.

>> No.5779296

>>5779286
Come back to us coo/ck/ friend

we miss you ;_;

>> No.5779297

>>5779286
pink haired girl looks like Yuuko.

>> No.5779314

Does Dd count?
I've worked at 3 different Dd and 2 different Wendy's
Love working at these places but I do want to go into another line of work I feel 23 is too old of these jobs
Ppl think I'm loca.

>> No.5779316
File: 24 KB, 500x500, ds-morton_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5779297
bruh that's the Morton Salt girl

>> No.5779322

I'm a line cook at a southern BBQ themed place in Ottawa, Canada. Got one of my best friends hired as dish-pit and we have a real Mordecai and Rigby thing going.

>> No.5779329

who /bartender/ here? Share stories.

>be 22 year old bartender working in DC
>have a 30 something year old girl that lives in the neighborhood who's a regular
>girl always crushes on me, asks me to go dancing with her a few times
>politely decline her offers those times
>one day right as we were closing up, she comes in piss drunk
>I serve her usual stella
>asks me if I want to have sex with her
>"Uhh you're drunk…"
>she was like "oh come on" and she gets up and makes her way to the bar
> I quickly close her tab, pour myself a beer, clock out and walk her home to her apartment building(like 2 blocks away)
> Go inside her apartment, undress her and fuck the shit out of her
>after I bust, I want to leave but she still wants more sex
>*sigh* here we go again as she attempts to suck my limp dick hard.
>fuck her again but only briefly until I force myself to come
>to when she wants me stay watch netflix and sleep over
>I abruptly leave and tell her I have to go
>bounce out of there and get to my metro train and go home

This is not the first time I've slept with one of my customers but she was an active regular(who would show up once or twice a week) and she hasn't shown her face in over a month. Lord the shame and guilt that girl must of had when she woke up. I feel like shit honestly about all that, I lost a good tipping customer.

>> No.5779335

>>5779296
I will be back soon, gotta pay down some student load debt first. Then maybe I will find a restaurant job again, a job where i want to go in everyday, where i volunteer for extra shifts because it is how i would rather spend my evening.

>> No.5779336

work at a nice restaurant. i have another job lined up (in a factory moving palettes, better pay and 4 10 hour days instead of 6/12's like i do in the kitchen). I just have to wait until my house loan is approved. Can't - fucking - wait. I hate being in a kitchen so much. I love to cook, but I don't love linework

>> No.5779337

>>5779289
you trusted a 16 y/o to do ANYTHING right the first time without supervison? You deserve those burns! nah, I'm just kidding, must've been painful as fuck, I still got the scars when I splashed some oil on my face and neck.

>> No.5779338

>>5779316
Stop posting mai waifu.

>> No.5779341

Dish bitch here.

Just started learning to do prep so I can take over for another prep cook who's moving up to the line. Movin' on up, niggas. Just like the Jeffersons.

>> No.5779344

>>5779341
don't cut your fingers too much

>> No.5779359

>>5779341
to a deelux apartment on the liiine

>> No.5779369

>>5779279
wondering how much do you make?

i'm a line cook at nice little restaurant in the midwest and only make $8/hr. feels bad mane

>> No.5779378

>>5779269

I shoulda been a doctor or something

>> No.5779413

>>5779378

Bad idea, at least in the US.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/the-u-s-s-ailing-medical-system-a-doctors-perspective-1409325361

>> No.5779424

>>5779336
this guy here.

leaving for work now. wish me luck. i fucking hate it

>> No.5779428

>>5779369
oh...I make like 12/hour

And that's mostly because it's my first job and stuff

>tfw not legally able to hang out with cookfriends at the bar after work

>> No.5779509

>>5779428
**11/hour

my b

>> No.5779535

>>5779428
>>5779509
I see. cost of living in nyc is pretty insane

>> No.5779540

>>5779535
Nah, I live in jersey, and since I'm 19 and I have to drive my grandpa places because he's sick and stuff I still live with my family!

I'm planning to move into an apartment with a friend in January that's not 1 1/2 hours from the city, though

>> No.5779711

> grandparents own traditional american burgers fries and shakes drive in

> be working there since the day I turned 12. 6 years. It's what I know. What I'm good at.

> restaurant is a local tradition. It's been around for 50,years after all

> grandparents retire and sell restaurant

> less than two months later new owners have fired and replaced most employees including myself

Feels bad man. That place is all I knew. It gave me and my family everything we have.

>> No.5779784
File: 10 KB, 611x427, 1395768849513.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5779711
Whoa, did nobody in your family want to take it over or even take it on as an asset?

>> No.5779890

>>5779784
Nah my uncle who had worked there for 20+ years decided to go to culinary school.

As for me I've applied to a couple different restaurants but I'm doing menial yard work in the mean time

>> No.5780208

I used to work as a manager at a Burger King. I now work at a Subway station at the NSA.

The customers are way too friendly comparatively. I mean, do not get me wrong, it is nice, it is just so different than what I am used to.

>> No.5780246

>Work at burger joint
>Hire a teenager mainly for cleaning
>It's her first job and she's upbeat
>2 days later she looks like she hates life
Dem bathrooms...

>> No.5780381

Bagel baker here. Going to bed at 9:00 tonight since I have to get up at 4:00 for work tomorrow.

>> No.5780463

>>5780381
Godspeed mr.bagel man

>> No.5780479

>>5780463

Thank you, my son. I will bake an extra jalapeno cheddar bagel just for you.

>> No.5780550

>>5779269
All I know is that I never ever want to work in the food service industry. Got scared out of it in high school.

>parents own a diner-type restaurant
>I like to learn anything I can, so I hang around the kitchen with them a few times when it's not too busy
>get a call from my dad one weekday afternoon in the summer
>Anon, we need your help. Get over here now. *click*
>Figured something was wrong, so I rush down
>Restaurant is just monstrously busy
>throw on an apron and wash my hands
>don't stop cooking for four hours, the exhaustion hits me all at once
>covered in burns from fryer oil, a few random cuts on my hands
>respect for parents grew three sizes that day

That was the first and last day I've ever worked in a restaurant. I never bitch at cooks in restaurants, and I yell at my friends when they do it.

>> No.5780556

>>5779322
So neither of you actually do anything?

>> No.5780564

>>5780381
My dad used to do this. Except he went to bed at 7 and got up at 2. I went with a bunch of times, it was pretty fun. Just making bagels and blasting classic rock through the speakers in the kitchen

>> No.5780585

LeSean McCoy did literally nothing wrong.

>> No.5780613

>>5780550
Owning a restaurant is something a lot of people say that they'd like to do, but all restaurant owners will tell them not to.

I've never understood the appeal of it personally.

>> No.5780619

>waiterfags complain that they're jobs are sooooo difficult
>they have to take orders, punch in the orders, bring the orders out and refill drinks, all while making facetious small talk
>"I deserve my tip money."
>they never consider the people in back who have to know how to make all the different kinds of food, deal with loads of orders, and listen to servers bitch

>"BUT BEING A WAITRESS IS SOOOOOO HARD I DON'T EVEN MAKE MINIMUM WAGE "

>> No.5780678
File: 453 KB, 333x500, 1351823169553.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5779279

Fuck yeah, man. I just busted into a fine dining gig and I love the shit out of it. It's much more rewarding and intense on a plate-to-plate basis. Worked in a deli for a while. That was a nightmare. Only person that knew fuckall about food safety or really cared about anything was the owner, and I worked an opposite shift to his so I was subordinate to someone who was willfully ignorant and super cocksure. Now I run a line.

>stopping your expo from running off with the wrong food
>pounding bud light after work in shady southside bar with guatemalan buddies
>carry a bunch of knives everywhere
>disregarding waitstaff
>learning, learning, learning
>sweet looking burn scars

Why it took me ten years to figure out that the life in front of me was the life I wanted, I had no idea.

>> No.5780834

My first dishwasher job was insane. I grew up in restaurants my entire life so I've got experience in the majority of roles.

>first time as a paid dishmonkey, week before mothers day
>first week is pretty horrible
>most of the brigade are complete fuckwits
>cant follow basic food safety rules
>Mothers Day rolls around
>Exec, cold starters/apps girl, fry cook and me only show up.
>fry cook is cracked out on some sort of drug
>fry cook decides its a good idea to throw a methtantrum
>threatens Exec and apps girl with kitchen utensils
>knocks over a massive container of pre-made sauce
>knocks over the cornstarch reserved for balls that we hid in the walk-in
>he dumps our box of broken glasses/plates/shit along with a gallon of old grease in our backalley entrance/delivery area
>he gets tossed the fuck out by Exec
>spend majority of prep hours cleaning up that cunts mess
>Rest of the night was insane doing 280+ covers and barely scraping by while we rotated cleaning and prep stations

Apps girl later quit cause the owner kept trying to fuck her, including lots of aggressive groping. She dumped a solid cup of balsamic vinegar onto the guys classic car when she quit. Girl was crazy but pretty fucking awesome.

I quit two months later cause the owner was a shitbird who never had money in his accounts and my paychecks kept bouncing. Working on becoming a bartender now, fuck yeah.

>> No.5780852

>>5779289
>I'm a glorified babysitter

Yeah, that's pretty much how I see all managers - even some I know have referred themselves as one.

>>5780381
I know that feel.
>>5780564
Oh yes, I remember a baker I used to see when I come in before dawn and he used to blast a lot of really upbeat disco-house music. I kind of wish he'd still do that because it was the only thing that kept me awake.

>>5780678
>food safety

Oh shit, thank you for reminding me to take my state test. Anyone from Illinois will understand this pain.

>> No.5781257

>>5779269

my worst experience was working at KFC I was literally a garbage man/dishwasher most of the time and the rest of the time I was packing loads of chicken into a cage for deep frying.

>> No.5781911

>>5780834
Was this local sounds local. Shit's so common with local restaurant with shady owners

>> No.5781919
File: 118 KB, 1024x768, 3216516.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I am thinking about getting back into the culinary industry. I have been freelance advertising for the past 3 years and its been awhile since I worked in a restaurant. Could you give me a picture of the state of the industry? I really enjoyed working with a tight knit group in the kitchen even if it was shitty pay.

>> No.5781968

>>5780619
the waitstaff at the restaurant i work at know better than to bitch around the kitchen

>> No.5782127

>>5781911
It'll be local if you live in Nashville. I haven't worked a kitchen there in 3 years. I'm on bakery work now.

>> No.5782156

>>5780852
>>5780564

Bagelbro here again. I put on the BBC World Service all morning (grad student in international policy). The (fratboy) cook gets there at 6:00am and I'm sure he hates every second of it but idgaf.

>> No.5782160

>>5782156
Never quit being awesome, Bagelbro.

>> No.5782982

>>5779269
what are your guys' opinions on rubber/latex gloves?

I was watching an episode of bar rescue last night where they said that you always have to wear gloves when cutting raw chicken. Then i watched hells kitchen where they were all wearing gloves.

As for me, I fucking hate them, The restaurant I work at I've never seen a single person wear a pair of gloves (and we deal with a lot of raw meat), but we always wash our hands often and try to keep a clean kitchen. I work in another restaurant where the owner is anal about wearing gloves and preventing "cross-contamination"

I don't think gloves really do anything unless you have a cut on your hand or something. You still touch a lot of shit with the gloves, plus they're really uncomfortable

I don't see why a pair of rubber gloves is any better than a pair of washed hands

>> No.5782989

>>5780246
>tfw no food expo girl
>she's only 15 and her first job
>first night working it looks like she's going to puke
>a few weeks into it she's a total champ, one of the best girls on the waitstaff

give it time anon

>> No.5782995

>>5780613
>I've never understood the appeal of it personally.
ideally, you get the opportunity to entertain people and make their day better with a nice meal.

But owning a restaurant is a pretty hard job, keeping costs down, staffing, etc. it's tough work. I work at a family own restaurant and the owner is their every day running around, picking up last minute things at the supermarket, making soups, filling in, etc. He works hard

>> No.5783015

any line cook feels?

>tfw the dishwasher hi school kid will do anything you tell him
>tfw qt servers always bringing you beer
>tfw qt servers ask "your special" when you ask what they want to eat

if it weren't for the pay and bad hours, i would be a cook the rest of my life

>> No.5783030

>>5782982

Unless your sink is foot-operated and your soap and towel dispensers are hands-free, you're risking some serious cross contamination. Plus, most kitchen employees do a really, really shitty and superficial job of washing their hands. It's supposed to be a full 15-30 second scrub, but it's rarely more than a five-second splash with warm water and soap, hands pointing up (instead of down) so that you further cross-contaminate your forearm and clothing, etc. In medical vocational training schools (assistants, techs, nurses, etc), they spend one full day teaching you how to wash your hands, and then another week teaching you how to scrub in for surgery. How much training do you think your average prep cook receives?

>> No.5783045

>>5779329

You gotta go over and talk to her

>> No.5783555

How did you guys break into the business?

Dish washing?

>> No.5783581

>>5783555
just applied for a job. told them i didn't have any professional cooking experience besides working in a wendys years a go as a kid. hired. not that bad

>> No.5783587

>>5783581
Congratulations, what position?

>> No.5783595

>>5782982
I find them only useful when handling breading or gummy shit that's get stuck on your hands

You can just throw the gloves away without spending 1 minute washing your hands

>> No.5783706

>>5783587
line cook. i started the first week doing some general handy man work for the owner, he found out i was reliable and a good worker, and hired me to work on the line

>> No.5783768

>>5783015

>servers begging you to make custom food for them

I am guilty of spoiling my servers too. It's actually a bad idea. You will never fuck any of them and if you deny them food they will drop you like a hat. Just don't ever start. Servers can be cool but most of them are bitches. There is a reason they chose to work at a job where showing a little tit and flashing a smile makes them $200 a night, and they don't have to do real work except walk fast during diner service.

>> No.5783788

>>5779279
Where did you work anon? I was a line cook at a ramen-ya near Times Square for about four months. Really hard work but seriously one of the most fun work experiences of my life.

>> No.5783795

>>5782982
i wear my wedding band, so any raw meat i use a glove.

>> No.5783805

>>5779322
mordecai and rigby...
people call me mordecai at work, my best friend is rigby, our cook is skips...

>> No.5783825

What is the general consensus about steakhouses?

>> No.5783826

>>5783768
>You will never fuck any of them
speak for yourself anon :))

>> No.5783830

>>5783768
They're all against you, but I do the fucking same....

>> No.5783861

>>5779369
>>5779428

Shit.

I work the line at a mediocre, downtown brewpub in a small New England city, and just got bumped up to $11/hr, after starting at $10 a year ago. I came in with no kitchen experience, too, aside from washing dishes way back in middle school.

Now the gf for some crazy reason wants to move to the Midwest...

>> No.5783904

>>5783861
cost of living in the midwest is way cheaper

>> No.5783907

>>5782156

>grad student
>frat boy

My kitchen is chill as fuck, and we all get along (and most of us are pretty strong), but I'm the only one with any kind of education.

I've got a masters degree and alcoholism, whereas everyone else is either an illegal, a felon, a drop-out stoner, or some combination.

>if i watched pretty much any sports we'd have so much more to talk about

>> No.5783913

>>5783861
>move to the Midwest
Meh, there's nothing really that great abou...

>from New England
Do it.

>> No.5783920

>>5782982

I burn through a box or two of gloves every night.

Granted, I mostly do salads and fried shit (flour/batter).

Other than that, I only really use them when dealing with raw poultry.

A glove is much cheaper than the cost of washing a dish towel, and if you have to time to wash your hands every time you touch raw chicken then I envy you.

>just as long as they're powder-free

>> No.5783951

>>5783913

>from new england

From the West Coast/Pacific Northwest/Hawaii, actually.

I've also spent a bit of time in Minnesota with an ex, and actually kinda liked it (they thought I was crazy the first time I visited and kept taking pictures of the endless stretches of corn fields; yeah, I grew up in Hawaii where they filmed Jurassic Park).

In any case, anybody have some info on Milwaukee? It's looking like I'm going to move there in a few months and will be needing to find a new job.

>> No.5783973

Im currently working in the kitchen of a retreat center and making my way through college. Im planning on taking a culinary degree at a college in the city. Can you live off the pay of being a real chef in a restaurant? Is it hard to be a head chef?

>> No.5783979

>>5783951
milwaukee is nice and wisconsin is a GOAT state

i live in michigan, and often envy wisconsin

>> No.5783995

>>5783973
>Can you live off the pay of being a real chef in a restaurant
yes

>Is it hard to be a head chef
yes

you'd be better of to just finish whatever degree youre already working on

>> No.5783996

>>5783951
Don't live IN Milwaukee. Or at least, not in the poor areas.

I live about 10-20 mins northwest of Milwaukee and it's pretty great here, although there are not many public ranges.

>> No.5784019

>>5783995
Thats the degree im working on lol...

>> No.5784025

>>5784019
>currently making my way through college
>planning on taking a culinary degree
That would mean that you arent currently working towards a culinary degree

>> No.5784048

who /dishwasher/ here?

>> No.5784050

>>5784025
prerequisites, math, composition, science. The culinary courses are offered at another location.
>>5784048
At my work we take turns. I hate it so much

>> No.5784060

>>5784050
I quite enjoyed it. I used to plate up all the desserts and i did a few shifts on the fryer side.

>> No.5784078

>>5783996

>although there are not many public ranges

I was looking more for advice on getting decent kitchen work and not hating my life; public ranges don't really factor into that, for me.

Definitely going to be moving into poor areas, just not sure if the cost of living will pay off/make it worthwhile.

>> No.5784088

>>5784060
Its just gross to me. It really irritates me when were cooking a bunch of shit and my boss puts me on dishes and I miss out on everything being taught in the other room

>> No.5784657

>>5783973
years of sacrifice and going through shit first before becoming one

>> No.5785445

Hey, /ck/, what are some tips on how to get a dishwashing job?

Inb4 'don't'

>> No.5785484

>>5785445
Think of restaurants in your area.

Apply to them.

You're not Mexican so you're already better than 99% of other dishwashers out there.

Unless you are Mexican, in which case, ask your brother.

>> No.5785492

>>5785445
literally just apply. it's probably one of the easiest jobs to get. my restaurant usually hires high school kids whose first job it is

>> No.5786006

>>5783788
I work in Chelsea at this fine dining italian place (we call it italian but we're very very french influenced)

Our thing is that we work on utilizing all parts of various animals (e.g sweetbreads, pig head , veal tongue, foie gras, etc. etc.

>> No.5786672

>>5786006
that's good. most restaurants always discarded the tongues and livers since they knew customers wouldn't eat them.

>> No.5787028

>just got home from saturday night shift
>it was a total shit show
>tfw waitresses always bitching to me about the other waitresses
>tfw when I wanted to punch a waitress right in the fucking face

ugh, too tired to feel anymore

>> No.5787388

Different anon but similar question. If I were to apply for a dishwasher job would there be a possibility to advance to cook? Plan on applying to a Denny's if that matters.

>> No.5787405

>>5787028
Where do you live that its saturday night?

>> No.5787407

>>5787405
The eastern hemisphere you ignoramous.

>> No.5787419

>>5787405
Tell your parents they are wasting their money.

>> No.5787422

>>5787407
Are you really so fat you take up a whole hemisphere? Or so stupid that you don't understand time zones?

It cant be evening in the entire eastern hemishpere.

>> No.5787429
File: 694 KB, 830x928, uphillbattle[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5787422

>> No.5787434

>>5787429
For fucks sakes I was just wondering where he was.

>> No.5787440

>Australian here working in a 5 star hotel
>Full time waiter here earning 45k before taxes
>Get alot of merican tourist here they still tip 10-20%
>All I do is take orders and talk to tourists about their trips

Why even get a better job I basically live off my tips and have a comfortable as fuck lifestyle.

>> No.5787469

I do prep work, dish washing, dessert making, and janitorial work. I'm so glad this place only seats about 30 people. Plus getting all this adrenaline and experience makes it all worth it.

>> No.5787587

>work as server in tex mex resturant
>place is usually pretty bumpin any day of the week
>friday night, busy as fuck
>night starts to wiind down but were still packed
>quick break in the action, just kinda standing around waiting for my tables to turn
>customer approaches me, big husky guy, has this constrained look on his face.
>"hey, whats with the service tonight, this is absolutely terrible. nothing is getting done around here
>clearly lacks the brain to see that this place is packed nuts to butts and service might not be as stellar as it could be
>first response that comes out of my mouth "Im sorry sir theres not much i can do for you, but if you'd like i can get-"
>"What kind of a response is that!?" "are you kidding me?" "You know i know one of the owners of this restrant and could have you fired for saying something as dumb as that!"
>ohsweetjesuswhyme.png
>"well sir if you give me just one second i can go get a manager for you"
>"Yeah i think you'd better."
>guy proceeded to have a bitch fit to my manager about the poor service and my attitude and lack of help towards him.
>managers here are fucking pushovers so they give him whatever they want, and of course have to have a "talk" with me
>whatever, i dont give a fuck, im about to be out of this joint anyhow.
continued

>> No.5787614

>>5787587
>shift ends and i get my shit done fast and am about to leave
>notice guy is still there with his wife
>ask my co worker who had them what he left
>nothing of course
>2 full meals, desert, and a free pass for next time. and they leave nothing
>I feel for you server bro
>fast forward 10 min
>im walking out the door to get to my car and whos walking in front of me?
>ohpleasedontmakeeyecontact
>too late
>both of us walking to our cars
>trying to keep my head down and hope he parked away from me
>nope, right next to mine of course
>Guy keeps doing double takes over his shoulder n shit
>get to cars and the dude confronts me
>"HEY WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING!?"
>"uh"
>"YOU TRYIN TO FOLLOW US OR SOME SHIT?" YOU'D BETTER BACK THE FUCK UP PAL"
>pal. try not to laugh at that
>Guy gets in his car and goes 0 to 60 in 2 seconds and drives right up to the front of the resturant.
>godamn, what a child, he is gonna rat on me isnt he
>go back into resturant to scope it out
>sure enough, with my manager again flailing and yelling a bunch of smack.
>wait for him to leave and go talk to manager to see what he had said
continued

>> No.5787638
File: 17 KB, 480x360, 1396272919352.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5787614
>manager pulls me aside
>what the hell happened out there man?
>tell him the unfortunate coincidence and how this guy went of his nut on me
>Manager tells me the guy was quote "worried you were comiing after him, and had his wife get the gun out of the glove box."
>mfw i almost got shot because this guy parked right next to me
>Manager is a bro about it and apparently told the guy off and that whatever issues he had he could bring up with his supposed "friend" in cooperate.
Never had any repercussions from it, never heard anything from his "friend" but godamn that just about sums up the average jerk off who comes in a resturant.
anyways, it's not a great story, but i had to get it off my chest

>> No.5787655

>>5785484
>Unless you are Mexican, in which case, ask your brother.
I had a sensible chuckle sir, thanks for that.

>> No.5787659

>>5787638
Damn, man. Are you like, dangerous looking or anything? Bald and white, or just brown? Either way he is a fucknugget who is off his fucking chain, but I had a mental image of a tall, lanky teen for the entire story for some reason and it just makes the story full of lols.

>> No.5787662

>>5787659
Im 6'0 at 210 lbs
so ive got a bit of a bigger build but it's obvious im not in the best of shape and i look like im 17 despite being nearly 22.
i guess i can see where he would have been a bit on edge to see the guy he bitched out followiing him outside, but ya know overreact much?

>> No.5787677

>>5780208
>i work at a starbucks in a small town, most of the people i serve are local kids like me just going to school
>one day a guy comes in, its obvious hes from the valley
>i make his drink for him, first thing he asks is "its non fat right?"
>of course i mad eit 2%, i start to offer to fix it
>he gets all defensive, like he has to remind me it was made wrong, thinking im just gonna kick him out
>im oatient so i bide untill i can get a word in
>"its all good man, ill just remake it real quick! no prob!"
>"I dont have to pay right?! it says on your sign... etc."
>"na man, just lemme do another, hey you want that bad one too? for the wife or something?"
>i get done, hand it to him, he says
>"man it fucking weird how polite you guys are up here!"

ive never been complimented so rudely in my life

>> No.5787678

>>5787662
Yeah he was way out of line. Another question: is it legal to have a gun in the glove compartment where you live (I assume America)?

If so, wow.

If not, isn't saying that he had a gun in the car enough to get his ass in a shit ton of trouble?

>> No.5787680

>>5787677
I have trouble with American tourists coming in and saying similar things (I'm Canadian), but they are usually just taking the piss.

>> No.5787685

Do you guys tip out your kitchen?

I tip out our kitchen 3% of food sales and it feels... weird.

>> No.5787689

>>5787680
yeh sorry bro, the general "city boy" attitude here is a mix of entitlement and just plain selfish rudeness

>> No.5787699

I normally have serving and front of house experience, but I cook as a hobby and appreciate good food.

I started working for this sushi joint owned by a less-than-30 year old Chinese man, who knows nothing of running a business here. I can safely say this because I know nothing as well, and I feel like the place is just winging it.

He loves good food, and rather than buying through food delivery services, he gets local food and fish. He found a great sushi chef, who also agrees with me that the owner is in way over his head.

It's just me, the owner, the owner's girlfriend, and the sushi chef. Despite the floundering, I am learning so much, eating great food, and getting decent monetary compensation.

Genuine Sichuan and northern Chinese food is awesome.

But this is never a profession I see myself in for the rest of my life. Fuck the stress and money constraints. Awesome part time job as a student. I guess it's part time, even though I work 6 days a week.

>> No.5787700

>>5787678
It really depends on what state you reside in. If I did that in NYC I would lose my permit and be charged for improper storage.

>> No.5787717

>>5787678
i dont think any state allows for concealment in a car thats not out of reach. I think the guy in anons story was just saying that to be an ass and get attention. My fucking step dad is a legit crazy delusional right winged nut job ex cop who pulls this kinda shit all the time just to stir shit

>> No.5787719

>>5787678
Texas, America
ooooooooooooooh yeah you'd better believe it

>> No.5787805
File: 93 KB, 700x466, do that again and this shit goes up your asshole.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5783768
>mfw you have shitty waiters and servers who can't organize their asses and keep bringing you multiple blocks of orders

What do I look like to you, a cooking machine? Tell the orders it's going to be 30+ minutes wait because you're unfamiliar with the concept of taking orders in a sensible manner.

>> No.5787817
File: 125 KB, 587x640, 1408176406042.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

workin 2 jobs atm, prep cook for a chain sushi restaurant in a fairly busy metropolitan area, our boss is a badass who lets us drink for free (cheap dollar shit, but still free) after work, and I am learning how to make sushi rolls, and different types of preparations and shit, once they have nothing to teach me i might move on, and from 9-3 am i close/prep for opening a burger king i live across the street from, i do it mostly because i live right across the street from it, and the manager lets me take frozen whopper patties to grill so free food, living on the cheap on my own at 25 in a big city... feels pretty gud man.

>> No.5787866
File: 1.18 MB, 209x180, ACbiVqD.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5780381
I used to work in a bakery chain called 'Greggs', its a UK chain if you dont know, i was on the early shift so that meant getting up at about 3am to get to work for 4am to prep all the sandwiches and open up for 6am, I had it harder than most people because i had to cycle to work which was about 3 miles and a huge ass hill every morning plus my health was slowly declining because i'd just been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis......fucking drag but i liked it, i would go back and do it again if my health let me

>> No.5787941

>>5779269
Word of advice its a double edge sword to be dependable in this line of work no matter how far or high the totem pole you are in regards to restaurant type (Cheap and Fast to Slow and Fancy).

Why? Because you get boxed in really good by staff and management. While it gets you promoted you end up get no time away from work as your place of work will always call on you for even the most minor assistance.

>> No.5788134

>>5787440
Bet you don't complain about American tipping anymore.

>> No.5788143

>>5787717
Not true, in basically any state with relatively lax gun laws, you can keep it in your glove compartment.

Sometimes there is debate over whether or not an unlocked glovebox counts as "secure", but it usually rules in favor of the defendant.

>> No.5788819

>>5787405
sorry, was too fucking tired to remember what day it was. pls forgive ;_;

>> No.5788824

>>5787685
no, and i don't think it's that common. also that's not "tipping out" if you are just giving them a percentage of the sales. tipping out would mean giving them a percentage of the tip pool.

>> No.5788912

>>5787941
this is kinda true. i used to work as a delivery driver for a very small wholesale gourmet food distributor. i really wanted to move up to the receiver position, but they liked me so much as a driver that they never wanted to leet me leave that position. ended up quitting

>> No.5789167

>>5781257

I hated working at KFC.

>Safety violations
>Broken equipment
>Racist boss
>Racks of chicken being dropped on the floor and then served anyway
>Black mold growing behind the broken wall tile in drive-thru area

Our management was incompetent and essentially the entire kitchen staff was working illegally and didn't speak English.
One day, the manager on opening shift didn't show up, leaving three 17 year olds to do the best they could to run the place. We didn't have safe access. We couldn't make change or do refunds or really do anything with the ancient, 1980's registers. We spent the entire shift telling people we could only do credit or exact change. Fucking ridiculous.
Another time we ran out of chicken. Yes, KFC ran out of chicken because whoever did the inventory fucked up. Can you imagine what it's like? Walking into a KFC and being told they don't have any chicken? People don't seem to register it.

>"Welcome to KFC, I'm sorry to inform you that we are out of chicken, but are still currently offering sides and drinks."
>Blank stare, utter denial, "Yeah, I'll have a 12 piece bucket of extra crispy."
>"Sir, I'm sorry, but we are out of chicken."
>Bargaining, "Oh, okay, then make it original recipe, I guess."
>"No dude, we're out of all chicken."
>"I can wait for it to come out fresh.What is it, 20 minutes?"
>"No, there is no more chicken in the store and there won't be all day."
>Anger. So much anger, as if I ate all the chicken to spite them, just so I could have the pleasure of turning them away for $6.25 an hour.

We were the only one in town, so we couldn't even call in a favor. The nearest store was 45 minutes away and nobody realized we were low on chicken until we were essentially out minutes before lunch rush hit. We were boned.

Worst job I've ever had.

>> No.5789190

>work in a gyro restaurant
>boss is like a father, teaches me how to do pretty much everything in the store so my job varies by the day
>this particular day im working phones
>woman orders like its a food truck "i'd like a large chicken over rice please"
>explain to her the different orders, gyro, kebab, adana and chicken chops
>still says chicken over rice
>tell her we dont serve chicken over rice and our stores closest equivalent is chicken gyro
>starts to become more irrational than she already is, telling me she knows there is chicken over rice at our store because every gyro place has it or some shit
>after 5 minutes of trying to help her make an order the boss comes over and tells her to never call again

People are fucking idiots goddamn. Worst job in the entire store

>> No.5789242
File: 363 KB, 452x710, 1370434100520.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>first job actually cooking something at japanese restaurant as kitchen helper
>constant scolding that I'm too slow or doing it wrong now that it's just me cooking certain things
>probably going to get fired soon for all my fuckups
>forgot to clock out because I need to catch the bus at my other dishwashing job
>probably going to get fired from there too
>tfw this is what I want to do for a living
>tfw horrible screwup at the only thing that makes you remotely happy

I hate myself.

>> No.5789265

>>5779279
>tfw I always feel the need to come to work early because I feel so at home here

I know that feel, anon. Kitchen jobs can be stressful as fuck and you get paid fuck all most of the time, but the place gets to be like a second home after a while.

>>5779341
Nice. Prep is a pretty enjoyable job, for the most part. Try to get a feel for how quickly things run out and how long things take to prep so that you can prioritize what to do first and you should be all good. Plus, prep is great for your knife skills. Definitely worth it to get a decent knife if you don't have one- you'll probably be using it a hell of a lot and a good knife makes things a lot more pleasant. Definitely worth learning how to use a steel too.

>> No.5789294

>>5789242
dont get too down on yourself. if its what you want to do for a living there are millions of restaurants in america and youll always be able to find work. your reputation and past experiences aren't going to follow you around everywhere

>> No.5789302

>>5789265
>worth learning to use a steel

More like its ESSENTIAL to learn to use a steel if you have a decent knife...otherwise you're just paying $50 or whatever for a hunk of metal

Made the retarded rookie mistake of buying a $160 japanese knife, wondered why it wasn't cutting well even though I sharpened it on a stone and everything...Chef grabbed it, made a few swings on the steel and bam. Glorious nippon edge

>> No.5789335

>>5779289
Wow, that sucks. How is the burn now?

>> No.5789435

I work in the Prepared Foods area of a Wegmans. I don't really have any negative stories. I do complain a lot about the shitty taste of Central PA natives though.

>> No.5789573

>>5789167
>Another time we ran out of chicken
The stuff black people's nightmares are made of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pyW6w5B7Aw

>> No.5789661

Im a catering/deliveryfag for a very busy deli in a prime central business district, been doing it three years. My tips are based and make me the third highest paid employee, behind the manager and assistant manager. Unlike them i am off evenings and weekends and dont work 60 hour weeks.

Sounds like a good gig, right? And it is. Only ive decided i want to progress from catering into restaurant management, ive got so much experience now that im training the shift leaders as an hourly associate. They wont let me move up into management because im so good as the catering guy, my deliveries make up at least 1/4 of total daily sales. The job is cushy but im ready to move up, they say im irreplaceable in my position.

I dont know where to go, ive gotten comfortable enough in the businness that i want to run the show but cant even get promoted to shift supervisor because im making too much $$$ doing catering

>> No.5789686

>work at a highish end sushi bar
>managers are all chinese mafia i'm pretty sure
>the owner of the restaurants name is "Tiger"
>always comes in every week or so to entertain his other rich chinese mafioso friends
>every time he has a different 10/10 asian chick
>he's 45-50+ years of age
>one time comes in piss ass drunk showing off his new handgun to the mexican fry cooks and the japanese sushi chef
>waving it around, no trigger discipline
>fires off a fucking round in the kitchen, fortunately no one was hurt, it punched a hole straight through the stainless steel counter-top though.
>thank god it was after hours

I've got more but not nearly as good as that if anyone's interested

>> No.5789740

>>5789686
yeah, more

>> No.5789801

>>5789242
you sound like an awful co-worker. you dont belong in a kitchen

>> No.5789834

>>5779269
>Share your stories of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
You just asked people to share stories of the movie "The Good, The Bad and the Ugly."

Gotta learn that English, son.

>> No.5789845

>>5779329
If you stayed and watched netflix with her she might still be stopping by

>> No.5789853

>>5779279
This right here

>> No.5789856

>>5789686
>sushi chef has had bad blood with one of the mexican fry cooks for a long while
>friday night, super busy
>sushi chef starts getting pissed because his lobster hasn't been cooked yet for a roll thats over 20 minutes late
>starts yelling at the fry cook through the food / ticket window
>fry cook is yelling shit in spanish
>chef starts banging a metal bowl against the counter, making shit tons of noise
>sushi chef comes out of the sushi bar area, back into the kitchen, starts throwing random shit at the fry cook
>they're throwing shit at each other, both screaming
>metal bowl goes flying though the air, smacks sushi chef in the head
>he grabs the bowl and throws it back
>all hell breaks loose and they both just rush each other, sushi chef is strangling the fry cook with one hand and punching with the other
>have to pull them off each other and step between them
>6'1" me between 5'3" manlet mexican fry cook shouting obscenities, and the 5'6" hungry skeleton sushi chef jibbering and foaming at the mouth
>had to restrain the sushi chef, have him in a full nelson
>sushi chef pulls some ancient japanese martial arts shit and straight up high(low?) kicks the short mexican in the face / head, as he's trying to get back up off the ground
>I had had a few drinks earlier so I was just laughing my ass off the whole time

>> No.5789929

>>5782156
Fuck the police, bagelbro.

>> No.5789987

>>5789573

Thank god there were only like seven black people in the whole city. There could have been riots.

>> No.5790162

>>5779329
Did she look good? If you'd stayed and watched netflix you would have kept a customer and maybe got a gf dumbass

>> No.5791119

>>5779275
>not working and going to school

>> No.5791159

Work at a mega corporation doing 5 star dining, for the safety of my job I cannot disclose where this is. So my boss and I come in to the kitchen after the weekend to start a breakfast shift, I realize a whole case of lamb was left on the count so I tell my boss about it and he says ok and put it in the fridge, I didn't question it I thought he had it taken care of. End of the day rolls around and I ask him what happened to the lamb? Turns out someone used it and served it to several hundred people. No one died or was even recorded sick, makes me wonder how dangerous leaving meat out actually is. ( the lamb was vacuum sealed )

>> No.5791345

>>5789686
Ooh Triad stories, shame that there isn't more interesting stuff than that

>> No.5791368

>>5791159
>vacuum sealed
That makes sense then. If there's nothing to interact with the meat, a change in temperature won't really do much.

>> No.5792313

I've had two experiences in the food industry as a caterer and dishwasher/prep, but I've always been scolded and tolerated because of my lack of knowledge and especially my knifing skills

I gotta get back in the game but it's a bad feeling knowing that I'm gonna come into the job being hated by the rest of the cooks

>> No.5792366

>>5791368
>That makes sense then. If there's nothing to interact with the meat, a change in temperature won't really do much.
you're a fucking idiot and know absolutely nothing about food safety. you think that just because something's sealed from the air that bacteria can't grow?

>> No.5792719

>>5792366
Meat was under no cold storage. It was a mistake to use it.

>> No.5792945

>>5792719
that's what i was saying.

>> No.5793572

>>5791159
Well, you should always always always practice food safety, but...my retard parents always left meat out to thaw instead of thawing it in the fridge, and it would be out quite awhile sometimes, and I've never had food poisoning in my life.

I of course don't keep to these same habits, but just because you do something like this stupidly doesn't guarantee that you're in trouble.

>> No.5793596

>>5793572
ya but did they ever leave it out overnight? kitchens get hot, even when they're not in use. my kitchen at works averages 80 degrees even in the winter at opening in the morning just because of all the pilot lights on all the time

>> No.5793603

>>5793596
Yes, they did. Maybe not over a whole weekend and I wouldn't say that leaving it out for a very long time was habit (usually laid out in the morning and cooked that night).

Probably the longest I've seen it go was like 30 hours or something like that.

Again, really dumb idea to ever do that, but it doesn't seem like a huge surprise to me that people didn't get sick, especially if your meat is good and fresh.

>> No.5793606

>>5793603
Was good and fresh when you got it, I mean, obviously.

>> No.5793684

>>5779322
Smoque Shack? Ate there once. Was really drunk, all i remember was good mac n cheese.

>> No.5793746

When I was 15 my parents got me my first job, I applied at a local restaurant. Started as a dishwasher, worked my way up to a sort of sous chef over the years. The Chef was also the owner, so he had double the stress, was a real bro though. He was tough, but on break, or after the shift we'd go and talk in his garden. Mostly he'd reflect on his life.

I went to college and lost touch, saw him again after he had to give up the restaurant. It was either the restaurant or his girlfriend/wife. He chose her, and apparently 3 years later they broke up, and he's moved back to his home town, which is 5 hours away.

Food was great. I tried to get his recipes after the restaurant closed, I was visiting from college, but his printer was out of ink or something. Now I don't think I'll ever have a chance.

Other than cooking skills, I also learned that most jobs will not be that stressful. I never want to work in a kitchen again.

>> No.5793788
File: 20 KB, 431x352, willemdafoe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5790162
I have no desire to have a gf especially after getting out of a 3 year relationship. She looked ok, she's like that bookworm career oriented girl who could deff be my sugar momma considering how large her apartment building was.

to be honest, her tits were saggy, she didnt shave and she is 10 years older than me, so fuck that.

>mfw she told me I had a big dick that night

>> No.5793875

>>5782982
I can't handle raw chicken without gloves. I get rash.

>> No.5793914

>>5789167
This happened at a KFC I go to during my half-hour.

>standing in line
>hear manager yell to headset dude
>"Tell the lady at the drive-thru there's AT LEAST an hour wait on chicken."
>people in line perk up at attention
>no one fucking bothered to tell us that the reason I've waited in line behind three people 20 minutes of my half hour lunch was because Kentucky Fried Chicken managed to run out of Kentucky Fried Fucking Chicken

How the fuck. Aren't they pulling this shit out of freezers anyway? You'd assume when 90% of your menu is chicken you'd pay attention to how much chicken you have.

Sorry. I'm still bitter about it.
There's no place else to eat in that shopping center.

>> No.5794047

>>5784048
Man I tried for ages to get a dishwashing job and never could get hired (probably because I am a gril ) and then one place finally called me back and I was so happy because I was finally going to have a mindnumbing future of spraying scum off pans and slamming an autochlor while regaton blasts out of a prepaid smartphone jammed in a plastic cup--and they put me on fucking salads and hot aps

I just want to wash dishes with degenerates and flunkies like me and now I am a line cook with a bunch of people who give a shit about food and cooking and it is uncomfortable as fuck because I hate eating and have like 12 teeth

I do my job well and give it my all but I just wanted to wash dishes and now they're talking about promoting me to Sautè. I guess I'll just roll with it for as long as it works for me. Never thought I'd be a cook.

>> No.5794208

>>5780479
as a bagel baker, them muslim dudes love them jalapeno cheddar bagels.

>> No.5794303

>>5779279
Where? I'll visit you.

>> No.5794366

>>5785484
>You're not Mexican so you're already better than 99% of other dishwashers out there.

I just got hired as a kitchen slave at BK and the Mexican guy who works there does everything faster and better than everyone else. I hate working under him

>> No.5794652

>>5794047
>because I hate eating and have like 12 teeth
wat?

are you like a crack whore already?

other than that, you sound like a pretty cool chick

>> No.5794738

>>5794047
Holy shit what is your fucking life

>> No.5794942

>>5794652
>>5794738
>a crack whore
Close! I homeless as a teenager and had a really bad drinking problem, so the combination of depression and poor nutrition lead to me having really brittle teeth that I'd grind so hard in my sleep that they'd crack or pieces would break off and they'd become infected eventually and I'd have to pull them out, so eating was and is still really painful and inconvenient. If I eat anything substantial, I have to spend like ten minutes afterward picking shit out of the gaps in my teeth with a needle. I like soup a lot and I make really good drinks, though. Maybe I can make a career out of that. The place I work has like four bars.

>> No.5794963

>>5794942
Christ, sounds like a rough time. I can sympathize with the depression and life ruining (and bad teeth to a lesser extent), but not the homelessness. Sounds like you're getting your shit together, good luck.

>> No.5795159

>>5779329
That was rape

>> No.5795179

>>5794047

sounds like my life except I have a full set of teeth

>tfw work 50 hours a week and have no internet (at home) or tv, only have a phone so work can get in contact with me (not a smart phone), no health insurance, live in shitty apartment that has only a hot plate although I got a charcoal grill that I cook everything on. Eat almost exclusively rice and beans at home.

Started as a server but I started working on the line because our grill guy would get too drunk and they didn't have anyone else who was competent or sober enough to take his place. I don't even work at a dive. I should've just stayed being a server even though I prefer this, the pay is shit.

CALIFORNIA IS GREAT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT

>> No.5795427

>>5793914
funny thing is in Greggs if you run out of sausage rolls its actually a sackable offence I.E you can get fired if you get caught by a official without sausage rolls ready for sale

>> No.5795464

>>5795179
Where in CA? I work in fine dining in New Orleans, where the drinks are free and the dishwashers make $13.50/h, but rent's been spiking like mad lately with all of the out-of-towners flooding in an thinking $1200 for a two-room single is a great deal, so just when you think you're sitting pretty, you really end up working for it, and you're back to beans and Busch. Good thing most service workers know better than to strive for luxury beyond getting drunk enough to fall asleep after their shift for under $7. How is it out west?

>> No.5795828 [DELETED] 
File: 125 KB, 630x420, dearpw[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pioneer Woman is not a looker, but I always loved her recipes.

Then I found out how much she's HATED by internet feminists and other people who dislike her lifestyle, so I gained a lot of respect for her.

>> No.5795842 [DELETED] 

17 year old here, first day of work as a line cook starts thursday. I'm excited, what should i expect? I have a bit of a background on cooking

>> No.5795879

>>5795842
>getting pranked

just keep your mouth shut, ears open, head down and don't rush about in a new place - that's how painful/debilitating injuries happen on the first night.

don't make friends, don't make enemies until you know the people better, just do your job and get into the flow, every place is different

>> No.5795892

>>5795464

santa cruz, dishwashers/prep chefs (frequently the same people) make minimum wage

I'd just about chop off a foot for a $1200 two-room apartment, that is considered faiirly cheap for a very small apartment in the bad part of town. It's honestly just ludicrous.

>> No.5795901

>>5795892

oh a two-room single, I misread. That's around the cost for a small studio or MAYBE a 1br if you get lucky and get a very underpriced one (albeit in a sketchy part of town). They're probably a lot less down than the places around here for the similar prices though I imagine, at least based on seeing the quality of the apartments my friends in other parts of the country rent for so much less.

>> No.5795926

>>5785484
>did my time as dishdog/busboy at steak place when 16
>pay was much better than flipping burgers (~$12/hr w/ tip pool at a time when minimum was $3.25)
>older staff would buy beer liquor for me
>I'd sell weed and speed to them
>no food prep, so was safe to take mind altering substances all night long
>restaurant became just another place to get high while getting paid for doing a job that a retarded beagle could learn in 3 hours

Best part, entire staff was competent and 100% asshole free. Manager was cool as far as managers go and would be right there with us smoking a joing in the parking lot after getting slammed.

>> No.5796510

Starting a job at wendys this Wednesday, anything I should know?

>> No.5797279

>>5791159
If everyone ate it that day it's fine. Vacuum sealed but warm it will lose some shelf life, but you're talking a few days off of a couple weeks.

>> No.5797340

I'm a professional baker and it's basically the shit. As long as I get everything done and do my job well nobody can give half a fuck about what I actually do during my day. I can blast music, set up my laptop and play games on the wifi while I'm waiting for bread to bake, make personal calls on my phone, etc.

Everyone leaves me alone because I'm in my own little world. As long as I'm doing my job right, I have pretty much infinite job security.

It helps that I'm really, really good at it.

>> No.5797362
File: 342 KB, 1280x1280, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5795901
>>5795892
Holy fudge m8 that's unbelievable

>> No.5797445

>>5781968
Stfu, what are you going to do, kick their ass? Grow up. Working in a restaurant is stressful on all fronts. I've been a dishwasher, cook, and server.

>> No.5797515
File: 47 KB, 812x580, down on luck salescheat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5794942
Dag, yo.

>> No.5797577

>>5797445
You've been all these roles, yet you don't understand how various retributions work. Back to washing dishes faggot.

>> No.5797869

>>5789190
you and your boss sound really autistic, happy that you have one another. you both knew what the woman wanted, yet you refuse to serve her unless she uses your preferred nomenclature.
i never thought i'd see the day where anon steals an idea from fucking starbucks, but here you are, dirty nappies & all.

>> No.5797873

>>5779890
your grandparents are assholes

>> No.5798012

>>5795901
My mortgage payment is $440 for a pretty nice 2 bedroom in a decent part of town.

I will never comprehend people who live in big cities. I don't even like visiting them, they're gross.

>> No.5798022

>>5797869
Not that guy but it sounds like she was ordering off-menu. Causing a pain in the ass about how to serve her and what to charge. Plus, "chicken over rice" could mean various things to her besides just putting some grilled chicken or whatever over some rice. She might be expecting whatever kind of sauce or spice is put into the dish at "every gyro place".

>> No.5798108

I'm a QA scientist and microbiologist for a local peanut butter factory which produces most of the world's supply of peanut butter. All the major brands, Skippy, Jif, Reese's, etc. And all the generics are all made in our plant.

Everything is surprisingly clean and the entire plant is super sterile. There are several metal detectors and foreign object detectors and the entire processes is a closed system which is cleaned regularly.

If I was terrified about manufactured food being unsanitary, peanut butter is quite safe.

>> No.5798142

>>5798108
in the event of a mass recall due to contamination, where does the contamination most likely happen in the manufactured food process?

>> No.5799139

>>5798142
The part involving Mexicans, ie the farm, who are really taking a beating in this thread.

>> No.5799184

>>5798108
Tell them about the acceptable percentages of bug parts and rodent droppings in the peanut butter.

>> No.5799508
File: 141 KB, 780x917, thankyoujesus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5799139

>> No.5799647

>>5799139
More like a beaning, had to be said.

>> No.5799886

>>5799184
It's better than canned mushrooms. I won't touch those.

>> No.5800085

>>5797869
People like you and the customer in >>5789190
are the reason why service industries blow ass.
Being vague as hell then get upset that no one knows what the hell you're talking about.

>> No.5800094

>>5800085
How fucking retarded can you be? Just say yes and put some fucking chicken on some fucking rice.

>> No.5800099

>>5800094
Maybe there is no rice? Or maybe don't encourage shitty behavior and tell her to fuck off.

>> No.5800267

>tfw ex-employees causing chaos in the dining room in the middle of dinner service
>tfw called our bartender a bitch to her face
>tfw sill pull beers from the bar without her being able to do anything

workplace drama is the only thing that i can talk about anymore

>> No.5800440

>>5796510
i used to work there in high school. was a fun job. is one of the few fast food places that i still feel comfortable eating from

>> No.5800657

>>5796510
You're actually lucky as far as the fast food goes. Wendy's and carls jr/hardees are the top of the shit tier, so the ubertrash can't quite afford to eat there. You'll get the least trashy of the shitty people.

Keep your head down and don't do anything stupid and you'll get manager pay quick enough. Spend it on school and get the fuck out of fast food.

>> No.5800663

>>5796510

Watch these to be ahead of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOvHZDGK-kY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXeFPpPJeI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbVDQKcxg00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ-JBFXh2IU

>> No.5800842

>>5798012
>I will never comprehend people who live in big cities.
Some career choices dictate that you have to live in a big city to pursue that career; for example, I'm an editor in BC, Canada, and the only (and I do mean ONLY) jobs for editors are in the Vancouver area. I didn't believe it at first, but I'm already getting ready to move from my comfy small town to the big city ;.;

>> No.5801276

>>5800842
enjoy being surrounded by asians

>> No.5801346

>>5800842
Sorry, bro. I'd have to find a new career.

>> No.5801368

>>5798012
More people and better restaurants

>> No.5801385

>>5779275
At first I thought

> haha what a fag, family loyalty to McDonald's

Then I realized that's actually cool in a way.

Probably a fairly humbling experience if you're graduating with a high earning degree.

>> No.5801386
File: 1.81 MB, 176x144, 1376958539120.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5795427
Next time I'm back in the UK on holiday I'm gonna go into Greggs, buy all the sausage rolls on display.

Then wait until they bring the next batch out that they are about to cook and buy them all

Then phone HQ and tell them to sack the staff as there are no sausage rolls left

>> No.5801408

>>5780613
I think a lot of people want something they can own and work at. Improving your business as time goes on, watching it grow.

A lot of those people probably love cooking, or at least know how to cook better than say working on cars. So they go with that.

I have no real interest in owning a restaurant, but sometimes when I'm out to eat I can't myself think "this restaurant sucks and it's STILL successful, I could do better than this"

But then I see how many good restaurants get shut down.

>> No.5801492

>>5800099
moran, if you don't have rice, you simply say "we don't have rice, but we do have _________ (insert grain of choice here). restaurant makes money, she leaves happy.

>> No.5801538

>>5800267

>tfw got fired because of drama (manager just didn't like me)
>tfw someone there stole my paring knife
>had to work next to a bitchy lesbian who never shut up about hipster shit
>upscale casual dining ($7-12 for a dish) but has a lower rating than McDonalds

>> No.5802346

>>5800267
When is there never workplace drama

>> No.5802410

Any stories about uncleanliness in the kitchen? I need reasons to not go out to eat/buy certain foods. (more reasons to make from scratch)

>> No.5802489

Waitresses/Waiters, post your drama stories.

>> No.5802918
File: 499 KB, 500x335, the life of the mind.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

been at the same place 7 years, might finally get fired for losing my shit twice in one week.
damn shame, too. made it all the way up to assistant manager.
tbh the place is circling the drain and has been for a while now. i did my best to fix it, but the problems that i'm taking on shit for are out of the scope of my control and i'm just about ready to jump ship.
i used to have passion for food and foodservice.
that eventually turned into mild disdain for incompetence and the excuses people make when they don't want to come to work or do their jobs correctly. disdain turns into frustration, and frustration eventually turns bitter and then anger takes over.

now i just make this face all the time.

>> No.5803229
File: 5 KB, 103x144, 1382080319306.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5802489
>waitstaff

>blah blah didnt do her sidework
>ugh i know what a bitch lets complain amongst ourselves instead of getting the manager up her ass about it

>these outs aren't fair i only make $2.65 an hour i shouldn't have to do anything

>hey will you sign my outs while i act impatient and get indignant when you tell me to do x and y again because i clearly halfassed the jobs?

>YOU CANT STOP ME FROM LOOKING AT FACEBOOK BECAUSE YOU CANT TAKE AWAY MY PHONE BECAUSE THATS THEFT. WHAT DO YOU MEAN "WRITE UP"? UUUUGHHHH FIIIIIIIIINE.
>You sat me a how-many? UGH I'M SUPPOSED TO BE FIRST OUT
>CAN I GO SMOKE
>CAN I GO SMOKE
>CAN I GO SMOKE
>CAN I GO SMOKE
>CAN I GO SMOKE
>CAN I GO HOME
>CAN I GO HOME

fuck waitstaff. sincerely, the mgt

>> No.5803239

>>5803229
>CAN I GO SMOKE
No you can't go fucking smoke, your ticket is up.
FUCK

>> No.5803268
File: 106 KB, 1536x838, o-HOT-GIRLS-DOING-YOGA-facebook[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

> New England
> New job as line cook at 4 star lodge/kitchen
> Burty sweet gig, cookin' food, butcherin' property pigs
> Dat charcuterie
> Free access for employees in the fitness center
> Sometimes go to the daily yoga class at 9am
> Rich honeys everywhere
> Just a matter of time.....

>> No.5803272

>>5803239
why can't i work in a place where people actually want to fucking be there?
i'd gladly go back down to the line at a new place if i thought for a second the waitstaff weren't a bunch of ruffled cunts.

>> No.5803279

>>5801492
>moran
>calling someone else a moron
okay

>> No.5803290

Got hired as a barback for a cocktail/small plates restaurant because I was fast, efficient, and too awkward to engage with the customers. Bossman said he wanted somebody who could blend in with the walls.

Kitchen was rad as hell, I helped with prep when I had the time. Bar was alright but being the willing bitch all the time was kind of brutal, especially when the customers treated me the same.

I avoided every ounce of the drama, biggest part of which was payout between servers for the tables and the bartenders. Some nights bar got the good stuff, other nights tables.

But there was always the incessant bitching. Hours of it after closing. I never got it. Fridays and Saturdays were ridiculously stressful, why offload it on the people you saw every day?

>> No.5803294
File: 11 KB, 279x181, FNM.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5803272
or if i could FIRE THE SHIT ONES

BUT NO, I CAN'T BECAUSE MUH TERMINATION GUIDELINES

Fuck this i'm gonna go play magic cards with my part-time cook/dishguy on friday.

>> No.5803307

>>5803290
when you work 12-16 hours a day you don't have anywhere else to put your bullshit.
i personally have a deep, unending personal hatred for a select few waitstaffers at the place i manage.
i just bury it deep down inside the pit i used to fill with booze every night until it sours and turns into the bitter black bloody bile i regurgitate every morning before heading off to hell.

>> No.5803381
File: 983 KB, 323x224, 1410995029436.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Work as line cook/server/busser/anything they need me to be
>Get more hours than anyone in the store cause I fucking know shit and do my fucking job
>Other cooks and servers bitch about how I get the most hours
>cooks always want to leave early >servers dont give a fuck bacause they are all college kids with rich parents
>Bosses dont care cause they are trying to fuck the server
>Get scheduled for every single catering order and do all the prep work from them
>Tfw all I want is for everyone to just to do their job
>Tfw all I want to do is make more than 9 an hour.

I feel only rage now

>> No.5803387

>>5803381
You're a few contacts and a loan app away from your own catering business

>> No.5803456
File: 444 KB, 640x960, 1375626680315.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5803387
jesus christ how horrifying

>> No.5803468

Server at a sushi and tempura restaurant... Pretty great. I spent four years (since I was 17) skipping around in jobs like this

>Restaurant
>Clothing Factory
>Candy packaging factory
>Restaurant
>Nursing home
>Freelance Translator
>Restaurant

It took a hell of a lot of jobs for me to finally realize that what I love is restaurants, the fact that we're the only place with sushi for miles really helps out the tips aspect of this.

>> No.5803483

hospitality has turned me into a backbiting misanthrope

>> No.5803499

>>5795159
agree with this anon. fuck you man.

don't brag about that shit on the internet you rapist.

>> No.5803521

>>5803499
>everything is rape
okay

>> No.5803532

I have an interview at a high(ish)-brow foodie kind of restaurant tomorrow. One of many projects by a celebrity chef. I applied to be a food runner but I have no experience (except for some random housekeeping in a fancy hotel, which probably got me in the door for an interview here).

I already got passed up for a bussing position at a fancy Italian place because I clearly lacked knowledge about wine and Italian food. I did more research for this one, so I think I can fake it to some extent. I usually just emphasize that I'm a hard worker and that I hustle. How else should I make myself a stand-out though? What should I ask THEM?

>> No.5803535

>>5803532
>so I think I can fake it to some extent
No, you really can't.

>> No.5803542

>>5803535
ayy I didn't know much about Italian food, but I'm okay for this cuisine. Do you have any suggestions for me though? I'm applying to be a busser, not a server.

>> No.5803546

>>5803542
I just meant don't try to fake knowledge about wine if you just spent a couple hours on Wikipedia reading it.

>> No.5803551

>>5803546
fair enough, I wouldn't do something like that. If I'm asked about wine, I'll fess up and admit I'm still learning. Thankfully wine is not really a focus at this place.

>> No.5803573

>>5803468
Ayyy, I work at a similar job. Work as a line cook at a sushi bar making tempura and sushi

>> No.5803619

>>5803573
I'm a server... Right after I finished my two weeks at the nursing home I walked by that place and said "mite b cool". Got in and walked out with a job. However I´d love to get into the sushi artist aspect of it! In a few months maybe I'll ask if they'll consider it.

>> No.5803674
File: 454 KB, 414x499, 1400117849556.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5803619
>tfw sushi bar is set up in a way where everyone gets away with eating
>tfw salmon, tuna and any other sashimi for free everyday

>> No.5803738

>>5795159
Go fuck yourself, she expressed consent multiple times.When you tell someone you want to bone, then bone, it's not rape. Get back to tumblr, and also kill yourself.

>> No.5803741

>>5803674
You're living the dream if everyone can get in... In this one it´s backed into a corner so only the sushi artists can get at the stuff. Neither of them eat sushi and I'm just shaking my head.

>> No.5803826

I'm in training right now at a Sushi restaurant.

I got hired as a dishwasher like 2 months ago and they decided to make me assistant sushi chef. Never seriously got into cooking but it's pretty fun so far, aside from learning the kabillion rolls we make. I'm getting the hang of making the actual sushi though, even though I sliced my hand super bad on the second day.

>> No.5803889 [DELETED] 

>>5787678
>If so, wow.
fucking kill yourself you subhuman shit

>> No.5803898
File: 60 KB, 578x576, ss (2014-09-13 at 02.56.01).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5803889
k

>> No.5803994

>>5803468
>Candy packaging factory
SPEED IT UP A LITTLE!

>> No.5804840

>>5803229
why does everyone in Food Service smoke?

>> No.5804844

>>5804840
Excuse to go outside for a break and they hate their lives.

>> No.5804852

I got a job at Burger King recently, and there's mostly mexicans working in the kitchen with me that speak hardly any english. Is this normal for most fast food restaurants?

>> No.5804997

>>5802410
I used to shoot up heroin in the kitchen at this pizza place I used to work at. That's about it though as far as uncleanliness goes.

>> No.5805071

>>5803456
Or a Soup and Crackers.

>> No.5805077

>>5804997
I used to smoke weed in the walk in freezer. Now I just smoke in the office.

>> No.5805123

>>5805077
Yeah, I would smoke weed in the walk-in sometimes too. Most of the time we would smoke in the box room though.

>> No.5805886

>>5803994
I didn't run into that, thankfully because I got pretty nimble and long fingers. What killed me were the countless cuts you got... especially with that really thin cardboard... fuckers

>> No.5807233

>>5803279
summer is here to stay!

>> No.5807778
File: 133 KB, 354x363, 1376691452405.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw qts and manlets ask you to grab something from a high shelf

>> No.5809649

>>5807778
>tfw when you are the manlet
sad_pepe.jpeg

>> No.5809669

>>5803532
>I already got passed up for a bussing position at a fancy Italian place because I clearly lacked knowledge about wine and Italian food
you dont need experience with wine and italian food to bus tables. i started out bussing tables at a high end new foodie restaurant, with only a little bit experience working as a stock boy in a fancy wine shop.

anyways, good luck anon

>> No.5809730
File: 186 KB, 936x590, sad-frog[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5787805
fuck man

>work at a mom and pop shop
>new guy infront
>a huge fucking lien comes in out of nowhere
>we prep up in the kitchen expecting a line of tickets coming in
>nothing comes in
> look out the line is gone
>finally hear one "ding" of the bell
>56 tickets on the counter

>> No.5809759

Anyone here that has or is working in a school kitchen?

I would highly recommend it, especially if you are a male.

Most of your coworkers will usually be old ladies, some hot, some not but that doesnt really matter.

Being a man in a school kitchen, you are practically god himself because you can lift heavy shit and you will have the kids under more control if you look intimidating. I've been working as a cafeteria worker for about 2 years and I still havent got bored or started hating life and the pay is pretty good at $14/hr

>> No.5809778

>>5809669
thanks. I think it was the kind of place that likes to train runners into competent servers, and when I asked the manager what he appreciated in his best runners, he mentioned a guy who had a strong interest in food and wine. But I do imagine that customers sometimes mix up servers and food runners, and they ask a runner a question about the food, and it's better to be well informed in that case.

Anyway I ended up getting the job at this second place. Stoked on it.

>> No.5809896
File: 261 KB, 1920x1080, ss (2014-07-27 at 06.00.48).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5809730
what the fuck man

>> No.5809900

>>5809778
When asked a question I know nothing about i just say "fuck if I know" and we all burst into a chuckle. They gotta like you first before you can get away with something like that.

>> No.5809910

>>5809759
>pay good
>$14/hr
>yeah....

>> No.5809923

>>5809730
>>5809896
Fucktarded server gathered all the tickets and rang them in all at once.

>> No.5809924

>>5809910
Try getting paid $8:00 hr then say its not good pay

>> No.5809927

>>5809923
I got that. I just wanted to express my anger at the situation.

How hard can it be?

>> No.5809928

>>5809924
So either you're a waitress and getting paid very low because you make more per hour than an executive chef thanks to tips, or some reject that's too goddamned lazy to push a broom properly because even warehouse workers get paid more than that.

>> No.5809930

>>5809927
Go ahead and fuck up every order, and collect the tickets. Then show your boss the ticket times. No orders, then in excess of 40 tickets in a couple of minutes, then no orders will get that little dumb fuck server fired.

>> No.5810353

>>5809928
No warehouse workers where I live get paid close to $14.00.

>> No.5810463

>>5809924
This. I'm an assistant pastry chef and I only make $8.00 Considering minimum wage is $7.50 it's not too bad, just mostly bad and completely unlivable.

>> No.5810471
File: 474 KB, 407x598, XfLXN91.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5779269

"The moral is, never be sorry for a waiter. Sometimes when you sit in a restaurant, still stuffing yourself half an hour after closing time, you feel that the tired waiter at your side must surely be despising you. But he is not. He is not thinking as he looks at you, ‘What an overfed lout’; he is thinking, ‘One day, when I have saved enough money, I shall be able to imitate that man.’ He is ministering to a kind of pleasure he thoroughly understands and admires. And that is why waiters are seldom Socialists, have no effective trade union, and will work twelve hours a day — they work fifteen hours, seven days a week, in many cafes. They are snobs, and they find the servile nature of their work rather congenial."

- George Orwell, "Down and Out in London and Paris"

>> No.5811494

>>5810471
how retarded of you

>> No.5811670

>>5779286
That's probably going to be me when I graduate. Then again, I could also be doing a double - working at an office and then fill my weekends working part time at the restaurant I currently work at.

It's going to be a shitty next two-three years.

btw, anyone working on their state food handling certificate? I'm in so much pain from today's shift and yet I want to get it over with.

>> No.5811762

>>5787941
TISTHSITHSITHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS

>> No.5811776

>Washing dishes because I used to be a dishwasher
>it's busy as fuck
>The actual dishwashing machine fucking sucks
>Work my way through the dishes, not really getting ahead of the game but not falling behind either
>Boss tells me to take out the trash
>Ask the other dishwasher to actually wash dishes because he's a lazy motherfucker (despite the fact that I shouldn't have to ask him to do his job)
>he says ok, so I go grab the trash from the line and head out
>come back a few minutes later
>more dishes piled up
>no clean dishes
>the exact same fucking tray I was doing sitting there
>he's eating ice cream (which I have to wash)
I love lazy co-workers

>> No.5811814

>>5811776
fire him

I don't care if you're not the boss, tell him to go home.

>> No.5811819

>>5811670

Bagelbro here, I'm kind of doing the office- restaurant thing. I do about 17 hours a week in an office and 15 hours in the bagel shop, in addition to my full grad courseload. It's a lot, but it's not killing me.

>> No.5811821

>>5811814
He's been there for a full year, maybe longer.
I'm pretty sure the bosses know, everyone else in the fucking kitchen knows. I honestly have no idea how he's still working there.
Half of the time when I get there on the weekend he'll be sitting out side smoking or talking on his phone with the trash bin sitting unattended, and these breaks range from 10 to 30 minutes.
Whenever he takes the dishes out he's slow as fuck and just talks to the waitstaff (All of whom find him annoying)

This place got some fucked up management

>> No.5811828

Not really in the food service industry, but I deliver liquor to a lot of bars and restaurants.

>Making delivery to local mexican place
>Go in the back
>There's two 3 year old kids hanging out with their mother who is chopping vegetables
>The floor is slippery and seems to be covered in some kind of thin layer of clear slime or grease
>Man nearby chopping meat up a table, pieces fallen on the floor
>Go to put some of the delivery in the fridge'
>Boxes of tomatoes all over the place, tomatoes on the ground
>A big round plastic trash can is filled to the top with some stagnant brown chili sauce
>Accidentally respond to the manager with "si" rather than "yes"

I'm surprised I made it out of there. Best part of making deliveries is I get to see which kitchens are good and which are fucking disgusting

>> No.5811833

>>5787685

Line/prep cook here. I just started a new gig at a place that tips out, like, 8% of total sales. It's definitely not a common thing. I dig it, though. We get ours every Friday, so it helps boost my income significantly.

>> No.5811943

>>5807778
always a good feel

>> No.5811956

>>5809759
>Anyone here that has or is working in a school kitchen?
What do you mean "school kitchen"? Like a high school or middle school cafeteria? When I was in school, we would make fun of the cafeteria workers (I feel bad for it now).

I have a standing job offer to go work for the kitchen at the local city fire fighters union hall, which is mostly old ladies, but I would rather into fine dining than make a bunch of chili for tired fire fighters

>> No.5811965

>>5809924
>tfw making only $8.00/hr as a line cook
>tfw only 75 cents above minimum wage

well, at least i'm making more thant he bussers and the food runners

>> No.5811974

>>5811828
>I'm surprised I made it out of there. Best part of making deliveries is I get to see which kitchens are good and which are fucking disgusting
I used to be a delivery fag. Only ever went to really nice places though. Once met Graham Elliot at his own restaurant in the kitchen before it closed. Was a pretty good job, most kitchens I went to were clean. The dirtiest was always the Goose Island Brewery restaurant

>> No.5812385

>>5811776

What the fuck's with dishwashers and ice cream?

Pretty much every place I've worked had some short, older, perverted dude from Guatemala, the Philippines, Mexico, etc., who, every time you turned around, were ducked into the ice cream tub with a giant fucking spoon.

>worked dish in middle school
>kept plates for the salad bar in walk-in freezer
>brought a spoon with me every single time i brought plates in

>not even an old, short, perverted dude with a mustache who can barely speak english

>> No.5812401

>>5812385
It might just be a more slow-working people thing, in my experience at least.

>> No.5812416

>>5779322
all I can think of is crazy whores or perhaps a lone star or Montana's. I dunno. Ottawa got some nice shit tho. and some awful shit.

>> No.5812425

>>5812416
and where pray tell is this O-tawah?

>> No.5812755

>>5811965
I'm making $11 (canadian, or $10 US) as a food runner, bish

+ tip outs every week

>> No.5812853

>>5779269
Work at mcdonalds in Australia as a casual employee (It's like being part time, only you get paid more, but have no benefits [such as holiday pay or sick leave])

My boss owns several different mcdonalds stores, so managers can sometimes be moved around quite a lot. The store I work at was his newest store, and it's also the busiest in the state. They're trying to squeeze every dollar out of this store.

Anyway, recently a new manager reared her head. I come into work about an hour early like I normally do, so I can have a drink, maybe have something to eat and read a book or the newspaper. I see the new manager struggling, she's being a bit rude to the staff but I guess it's because there are 14+ cars in the drive-thru and the kitchen staff are all new or incompetent.

I went up to offer to start early, I like to do favors for the managers, most of them are my friends now so I tend to help out, even if it might be pretty inconvenient, but then I become the guy they call whenever they need a shift filled, so it works out.

So, I offer to start early. This new manager, looks me up and down, with a bit of a sneer and then says 'Sure.' I pause to check my watch to see how early I'll be starting and she snaps at me, shouting 'Hurry up and get changed then!'

I'm starting to regret leaving my paper, but I go and get changed and get on the line. The kitchen is a fucking mess, and the kids are stressed. I ask this kid, about 15, to get off the line and help the others with cooking, so I'm the only one making burgers/salads/wraps and things start to go a bit quicker.

Eventually the cars stop coming and I'm about to prepare the wash-up to be taken out to the sinks at the back. Manager yells back at me telling me there's no time for that, and they're waiting on a burger. I ask what they're waiting on, knowing that there couldn't be any miscommunication, because I was the only one making burgers, and I didn't miss anything. part 1 of 2[?]

>> No.5812863

>>5812853
I make the burger and apologize for the error, assuming I simply missed something or forgot something, or the wrong burger was handed out the window, as happens often.

About a minute later I'm told by one of the girls out front that the manager dropped it, and didn't want to own up to the mistake.

I continue cleaning and making the odd order as they come along, and getting our washup ready to send one of the younger blokes out to do it. Then suddenly in the space of about 30 seconds we have 10+ cars arrive in drive thru, and what appeared to be a bus full of people come into the dining room, so I get myself ready. Surprisingly, the manager comes out into the kitchen to help me on the line, and as we're working she tells me she's the stock manager and she only just transferred from another store. She asks me for any tips on keeping our wasted product levels down. I recommend to her that we cook only a few products to order, as they are rarely ordered and customers tend to prefer them freshly cooked anyway. She agrees and that's that. Eventually we see one of the products ordered that I recommended we cook to order. She then asks why we don't have any on level. I remind her about what we discussed, and she turns away from me, and mutters under her breath 'Fucking Wog'.

I was pissed. I continued working for the rest of the night and got everything done, dealing with her bullshit. Once I'd clocked off, I asked to speak to her quickly. She tried to say she was too busy but I blocked her path and spoke to her about her attitude, and if she ever spoke to me or any of the other staff the way she did then, again, infront of me, I'd take her to fair work, speak to our area manager, or even the owner, and get the union involved.

She caused problems for a long time after that, but I haven't heard anything about her since. One manager took her up on harassment, so I think she might have been fired.

>> No.5812866

>>5787689
Coming from a city, not all are like this, I tend to think it's big cities that are like that though. A real metropolitan type deal.

>> No.5812874

>>5779279
I get that shit from my co-workers at a fast food restaurant. I know that feel man.

>> No.5812875

>>5812853
>>5812863
Fair Work Australia, the working man's last hope.

>> No.5812883

>>5812875
Of all the managers I've had in different industries, she's been the worst.

I heard that she ran a shift with 0% target drive thru times. A few people were sick and nobody she called (including myself) was willing to take time out of their day to help her.

>> No.5812891

>>5812853
>>5812863
With the ethical concern Aus's McDonald's has, I wouldn't doubt the manager got fired, or asked to leave in the end. You could totally have reported them for the racial slur though (whether you find it that offensive or not).

My managers weren't that insane in that way, but I had managers that cheated a lot. One of them persistently parked people, even on things that didn't need to be parked, just so they could bump their timers up. Eventually got to the point were people complained, and it finally stopped but then it slipped back in again, but I left there before I saw it completely happen.

>> No.5812907

>>5812891
It wasn't that I was offended by the slur, it was that it was just so unprofessional.

Unfortunately it was said so quietly, that I was the only one who heard it.

-

On the parked cars, we don't really have any managers who do that. After about 4pm in the day, they don't care about TET's, so we're understaffed and rarely go above 45%