[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/ck/ - Food & Cooking

View post   

File: 19 KB, 500x500, tabasco.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5738015 No.5738015[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Like many others, I always have a bottle of Tabasco available, as that's my hot sauce of choice. However, it's not because I find it delicious, but more a result of it being the one that is easily available and "good enough".

Lately I've come to the conclusion that Tabasco would be perfect if only it had more flavor to it, in addition to being hot.

So, I've concluded that I would like to roll my own, but hot sauces is one of the few things I've never experimented with, so my three questions are therefore:

1) How would one make a fairly standard hot sauce which can be used as a base upon which i will experiment with additions and substitutions

2) Does anyone know a decent replica recipe for Tabasco?

3) What ingredients are commonly used for hot sauce experimentation?

>> No.5738040

The basics is pureeing chilis, cutting with vinegar, and straining

tabasco sauce is made from tabasco peppers and aged in used whiskey barrels for months.

I personally like blending up some chilis in adbob, a head of garlic, and a medium vidalia onion, dumping some distilled white vinegar in, maybe some dry seasonings like paprika or garlic, letting it sit for a few days in the fridge, straining through a wire mesh, and bottling.

Pretty flavorful.

>> No.5738041

>does anyone know a decent replica recipe for Tabasco
vinegar
peppers
salt

>> No.5738049

>>5738015
>How would one make a fairly standard hot sauce which can be used as a base upon which i will experiment with additions and substitutions

Depends on what you mean by "hot sauce". There are many different styles.

-Mexican style "Salsa": tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and peppers. Usually not cooked, but it could be. You can leave it chunky or puree it.

-vinegar based sauces like tabasco, franks, etc: peppers, vinegar, salt. Some have spices added.

-thicker style sauces, usually containing peppers and some kind of fruit. It might contain a little vinegar but it's not as vinegary or watery in texture as something like tabasco.

>2) Does anyone know a decent replica recipe for Tabasco?

Yeah: peppers, vinegar, salt like it says on the label.

>3) What ingredients are commonly used for hot sauce experimentation?
any of a number of differing kinds of hot peppers. vinegar, salt, fruit, molasses, onions/garlic/shallots/etc.

>> No.5738081

make your hot sauce with pickled peppers and the salt brine from that, not vinegar

>> No.5738175

>>5738015
Have you tried the other Tabasco hot sauces?

>> No.5738209

Smoked chipotle is the fucking best.

>> No.5738219
File: 13 KB, 528x400, green.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5738175
Tried the green one (pic related). While it certainly has more flavor it is a bit too weak in terms of hotness. If there are any other variations i wouldn't know as those two are the only ones I've found here in northern Scandinavialand grocery stores.

>> No.5738224

>>5738041
Awesome

>>5738049
That'd be a vinegar based one, thanks for the others too, as I'd like to broaden my horizon.

>> No.5738235

>>5738219
(mango) habanero is delicious

The buffalo and sweet and spicy are great in certain applications as well.

The chipolte is really sub-par compared to others around, but some people love the stuff

>> No.5738288

>>5738219
There are habanero, garlic and chipotle options and since you can find them in bigger markets in Finland I'd assume you might be able to find them wherever you live.

Sriracha might be mild to your taste but maybe you could mix Tabasco with it?

>> No.5738309

>>5738235
Yep, I'm one of the people that love the stuff.